PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Fat32hd and Restoring image to tivo

Princess
11-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi there!

Having some trouble loading a series 2 rid unit.
I'm trying to load a 3.1.1b image using sleepers iso.

WITh this image i'm required to put three files onto a fat32 hd in a folder called tivo on the root drive C:. Those files are TivoBackup-11-12-03_09_33.mfs, variables and 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0-Original.img

I guess sleepers is supposed to use the variables to load the mfs backup.
but sleepers reports an error cannot find /cdrive/tivo/variables.

I put the files onto the drive through dos but what is happening is dos is cutting off the s in the variables file and replacing it with ~ I was told that the fat32 hd cannot be booted up in WIndows. Can anyone think of what's going on here or how else I can move these files onto the Fat32 hd without it booting in windows?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

PlainBill
11-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi there!

Having some trouble loading a series 2 rid unit.
I'm trying to load a 3.1.1b image using sleepers iso.

WITh this image i'm required to put three files onto a fat32 hd in a folder called tivo on the root drive C:. Those files are TivoBackup-11-12-03_09_33.mfs, variables and 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0-Original.img

I guess sleepers is supposed to use the variables to load the mfs backup.
but sleepers reports an error cannot find /cdrive/tivo/variables.

I put the files onto the drive through dos but what is happening is dos is cutting off the s in the variables file and replacing it with ~ I was told that the fat32 hd cannot be booted up in WIndows. Can anyone think of what's going on here or how else I can move these files onto the Fat32 hd without it booting in windows?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Where to begin...

This is a bad idea for several reasons:

1. Sleeper's (TiVoScripts) will do this, but 3.1.1b is outdated; the current version is 3.1.1e, the minimum I would recommend is 3.1.1c

2. TiVoScripts uses an outdated method to hack your drive, and places outdated utilities on the drive.

3. You're isolating yourself from the workings of Linux; you will wind up knowing virtually NOTHING about how your TiVo was hacked.

4. Lastly, you were given incorrect information. The files CAN be transfered using Windows. Never put your TiVo drive in a computer rumming Windows 2000 or XP

I would STRONGLY suggest you locate and read Hinsdale's How To; that will explain restoring an image to a drive. Also, read up on using killhdinitrd.

PlainBill