PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding First Two Calls

markwi
09-12-2001, 05:27 PM
I just got a TiVo and I just finished installing the TiVoNET. I was just wondering if there was anyway to avoid the first two setup calls that the tivo would make.

Any ideas?

SuperVHS
09-12-2001, 06:33 PM
Well, you could leave it unpluged.

You will have to be a little more specific. What are you trying to do? How do you plan to use the TiVo.

ronnythunder
09-12-2001, 07:29 PM
You can set the "SETUP_BYPASS" flag to something (I don't think the value matters) in the boot parms; that will let you get bypass the setup procedure.

What I don't know is if you can do all of the setup stuff through TivoNET; in other words, if you do the bypass, get TivoNET running, then try to run GS, I don't know if it will then use TivoNET for the setup.

Perhaps better to go ahead ans use the modem if you can for that, then do TivoNET.

ronny

Remember 09.11.01

Worf
09-13-2001, 02:00 AM
THe problem with using SETUP_BYPASS is that your TiVo is useless until you install some channels in. Without 1 channel, the TiVo will continually reboot.

The First call you can use to get the channel population. Then unplug the phone line, and proceed as far as you can. When it errors out at the second call, unplug the TiVo, and add SETUP_BYPASS=1 to the startup parameters. You'll get channels, and you wouldn't have made the setup call...