PDA

View Full Version : Getting to DivX or smaller MPEG files a reasonably fast way?

joefreshman
11-22-2004, 02:54 AM
My goal: to have reasonably sized DivX AVIs or regular MPEG-2 files on my computer taken from files on my Tivo. By "reasonably-sized", I mean something like 200-300mb per hour of 30fps tv shows (take Law & Order for an example) at NTSC resolution.

One solution I have that works, but seems ridiculously slow:
(1) Use TyTool to pull down .ty files
(2) Use tools to split the ty file in audio and video
(3) Use dvd2avi to pull out a wav file
(4) Use a custom VDub script to mux and make a DivX avi file.

This method works about 75-80% of the time with my files (the 20-25% of the time it fails, it doesn't process the whole file, and only gives me the first chunk of it). However, on my Athlon XP3000+ system with 512MB of RAM and nothing else running, VirtualDub runs at 5-6fps processing. That's really unacceptably slow, and, considering the 20-25% of the time things screw up, I'm ready to move on to another method.

I have also tried to pull down MPEG-2 files from TyTool and, from those, I've tried TMPEGEnc (ridiculously slow, file size is still too large), and the PocketDivXEncoder (even more ridiculously slow -- 9 HOURS for a 15-minute Sealab 2021 show? What the hell?)

I know it's possible to compress MPEG-2 files down even more in a somewhat reasonable amount of time (Even NeroVision Express -- not known for being a particularly well-written program -- can compress down 15-minute episodes of Aqua Teen to 100mb each at 15fps), and I definitely know it's possible to compress MPEG-2 files into DivX files at a very high rate (Dr. DivX can compress .vob files taken from DVDs at 30fps on my machine).

I have tried using Dr. DivX with the mpegs taken from TyTool, but it always screws up the audio offset, and the quality, for some reason, is much worse than the original. I think it might have to do with the interleaving.

So... does anyone have any better ideas? I'm sorely tempted to build a MythTV box so I don't have to deal with this TY crap anymore... Tivo has been great, but it's been getting quite ridiculous to extract the data in a manageable size and quality.

malfunct
11-22-2004, 03:05 AM
My goal: to have reasonably sized DivX AVIs or regular MPEG-2 files on my computer taken from files on my Tivo. By "reasonably-sized", I mean something like 200-300mb per hour of 30fps tv shows (take Law & Order for an example) at NTSC resolution.

One solution I have that works, but seems ridiculously slow:
(1) Use TyTool to pull down .ty files
(2) Use tools to split the ty file in audio and video
(3) Use dvd2avi to pull out a wav file
(4) Use a custom VDub script to mux and make a DivX avi file.

This method works about 75-80% of the time with my files (the 20-25% of the time it fails, it doesn't process the whole file, and only gives me the first chunk of it). However, on my Athlon XP3000+ system with 512MB of RAM and nothing else running, VirtualDub runs at 5-6fps processing. That's really unacceptably slow, and, considering the 20-25% of the time things screw up, I'm ready to move on to another method.

I have also tried to pull down MPEG-2 files from TyTool and, from those, I've tried TMPEGEnc (ridiculously slow, file size is still too large), and the PocketDivXEncoder (even more ridiculously slow -- 9 HOURS for a 15-minute Sealab 2021 show? What the hell?)

I know it's possible to compress MPEG-2 files down even more in a somewhat reasonable amount of time (Even NeroVision Express -- not known for being a particularly well-written program -- can compress down 15-minute episodes of Aqua Teen to 100mb each at 15fps), and I definitely know it's possible to compress MPEG-2 files into DivX files at a very high rate (Dr. DivX can compress .vob files taken from DVDs at 30fps on my machine).

I have tried using Dr. DivX with the mpegs taken from TyTool, but it always screws up the audio offset, and the quality, for some reason, is much worse than the original. I think it might have to do with the interleaving.

So... does anyone have any better ideas? I'm sorely tempted to build a MythTV box so I don't have to deal with this TY crap anymore... Tivo has been great, but it's been getting quite ridiculous to extract the data in a manageable size and quality.

If you don't mind windows media video files (same sort of size/quality ration of divx if not better) it would pay to check out etivo. It automates the task of extracting and converting video.

MOStyle
11-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Pull down the file in Muxxed (mpg) mode, and grab Auto Gordian Knot...

DL it here.. (http://www.autogk.net/)

It supports batch encoding and uses XVid or DivX..

It appers to be all all in one solution.. Deinterlaces, resizes etc etc.. and audio sync has been perfect so far...

lart2150
11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
another way to try that worked fast for me is download the show how you wish then use tyshow and drdivx to encode from ty right to divx. on my xp 2400 I was getting around 20-30 fps

blueman2
11-22-2004, 03:05 PM
I know WMV is not the most ideal format for playing on various devices, but it is what I have standardized on because of the ease of use with eTivo. With eTivo, I do not ever have to touch anything. It automatically pulls down from Tivo to PC which shows I have selected by name, encodes them using whatever encoding quality I want (which can be specific to each show, for example, encoding Stargate SG1 at 300MB/hour and Simpsons at 150MB/hr), then puts the encoded shows on my media server, and has its own web interface so that I can view the shows anywhere in my house or anywhere in the world with internet access.

I can be gone for 2 weeks traveling, and come back to a full library of encoded shows all cataloged and displayed on a web site. This 'hands free' encoding is the way to go, IMHO. I would prefer Divx, of course, but eTivo is WMV only right now. As for speed of encoding, I really do not care since it runs by itself and is able to keep up with shows as they download from the Tivo. But for those interested, my system encodes a 1 hour show in 40 minutes, using the 200MB/hr compression setting (5:1 compression). I have a 3.0G P4.