View Full Version : Anyone have info? Other feed then DirectTV

09-17-2001, 06:38 AM
I'm new to tivo and new to DirectTV as well. I got the tivo and dss unit becuase I liked the fact of 5.1 and it records the stream. But here is what I found on Ebay.

"Also, DSS & Dish Network users - see what you're missing! Your receiver can only receive what you pay for. This guide will show you how to add hundreds of free satellite feeds to your home entertainment simply by adding another basic low-cost (or even free) system. And this is 100% legal - it is not information on illegal DSS cards or equipment. "

Do anyone know how to get something other then DirectTV will it work on the tivo? I dont like Direct Tv's priceing but I love the picture. I dont even watch 90% of what I pay for but they allmost make you pay for it.

09-17-2001, 12:49 PM
It's a scam.
You can only receive Dtv programming on these units.

09-18-2001, 12:32 AM
It's not a scam. Reading through this, I believe what he's selling is a book on the C-Band satellite system. Using one large huge dish (BUD - for Big Ugly Dish) and a rotator, and you can catch the "wild feeds" - shows that get sent to the satellites to stations for taping and later playback.

They send a syndicated show about two days before it's to be shown - the local affiliate station catches the feed, brings it to tape, and splices in local commercials at specific spots on the tape.

The "additional equipment" is a C-Band receiver. Since these signals tend to be analog, your best bet is a SA TiVo.

Oh, life before digital satellite...

(BTW, if the signal isn't scrambled, it tends to be free - the only thing is you need a TiVo because they can broadcast the shows at any time [but there are guides showing which satellite and when], so it's best to get TiVo to grab them for more convenient viewing).