PDA

View Full Version : Some Wisdom You Won't Find Here

baggins
12-04-2004, 12:46 PM
After browsing these Tivo forums I felt compelled to offer some common sense.

Hacking the Tivo is a waste of time depending upon your goal.

If you want a Linux system that by default contains most of the hacks mentioned here, and then some, consider getting an open system such as http://www.interact-tv.com/

These systems have full PVR functionality including network access, copy and DVD burning capability, media sharing capability, and no subscription fees whatsoever.

If you are a developer looking to add value to PVR's, they actually have a development community and service infrastructure that's interesting.

If you like Microsoft, you can get a Media Center system such as http://www.alienware.com/intro_Pages/dhs2.aspx that does all the above Linux system does plus everything else that's possible on a Microsoft system. If you are a hack, they actually have an SDK for adding services and functionality.

If you are a real hack, who likes challenges, you can build a freevo system, and possibly add something innovative beyond Tivo.

If all you want to do is upgrade your Tivo to a bigger drive or get pre-upgraded systems including DVD burning capability you can go here http://www.weaknees.com/

This forum seems to be lacking in innovating thinking. If some of you "experienced" hackers on this forum had any salt you'd come up with some new innovative functionality. For example, a "service" that fetches your email or a "service" that implements instant messaging or integrates with existing instant messaging. How about some collaborative computing functionality such as file-sharing.

Why are you guys wasting time trying to figure out how to defeat copyright protections and such? Real programmers don't do things to damage businesses or industry. If you can't afford to buy the movie or video or subscription service, get a friggin job.

I find the "flaming" that goes on here truly juvenile. If the ppl here who actually practice flaming newbie questions actually knew anything useful or interesting they wouldn't waste their time trying to inflate their egos by degrading someone else.

Your discussions on intellectual policy is a joke. If you don't want someone to take your ideas and make money off of them, then don't post them on a public forum. Duh! If some entrepreneur takes your idea and runs with it because you don't have the foresight to do it yourself then that's your mistake. Stop belly-aching about "credit" and permissions etc. If you posted it, then you probably didn't understand the value of it to begin with and gave implied permission to "have fun" with it.

Have a happy Christmas....

alldeadhomiez
12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Nice troll; thanks for sharing.

Moved to Sewer.

BTW: using the noun "hack" to refer to an individual is very different from using the noun "hacker."

snowman
12-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Heck, I'll chime in (I know, whodathunkit)...

First and foremost, we own Tivos, that's why....

Beyond that, if you can show me a product that can do everything a DirecTivo can do, without external boxes, plus telnet, ftp, extraction, etc, I'm all ears.

BUT, make sure that the software can figure out where in the heck they've moved the show that was on last week on Thurs, but somehow got moved to Monday, compensate for the time and date change, etc. Oh, and dual tuner...

AND, read my lips here... for under $5/month, give me all of that, 70 hours of recording for $100, and bubba, I'm your huckleberry. Until then, you've got nothing I want or need. If I were paying $12.95/month for the service, had single tuner, etc, it'd be a whole other question. But for now, give me the same functionality as a Dtivo (with hacks) for the same price, and dual tuners.... and you've got a convert. Oh, did I forget SYSTEM STABILITY?

I'm just the type of guy you're looking for. One of my Tivos doesn't have a cover on it, and my PC hasn't had a cover on it in ages... I have no idea where the screws even are.

Oh, and ADH, thanks for not banning him. I look forward to his response.

RavenStL
12-05-2004, 11:03 AM
I can understand on SA..

But show me the Alienware system with dual Directv Tuners? and I can get it for, heck, less than 50 bucks on my last HDVR2 and it still had the remote and P4 card.

Some people think they have it all figured out but everyone is capable of making their decisions w/o needing somone to tell them what they should of done.

EDIT:: Holy moses! You start to configure the Alienware at a measly $1399...
$50 - record two shows at watch a third using Tivo's name based system @ 4.99...

OMG, its still only got NTSC tuner w/o an option for ATSC HD. Man o Man....

snowman
12-05-2004, 01:23 PM
$1399? WOW. I might even be a player at $300 with no monthly fees AND EVERYTHING my Dtivo offers (with hacks)... including hardware and software. Especially since I'd hope to be able to increase processor/ram/hard drive at my whim, which I can only do the hard drive on Tivo. Since my $5/month for Tivo service (Dtivo) covers two boxes, that's only $2.50/month per box, so there just ain't no way.

Fugg
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
capture device on homebrew/ms dvrs = realtime compression via a $50 to $250 mpeg encoder

dtivo = realtime compression via a ~$30,000 statistical multiplexer

nice quality, extreme mpeg2 compression and automatic, reliable, worry free recording.

"wasting time"?

I beg to differ.

Merry Christmas

baggins
12-05-2004, 11:46 PM
I just want to say that I didn't see any comebacks that I could dispute. Everyone except AllHomiz actually had some to say worthwhile; apparently he just wanted to banish me based on personal principle. This reminds me of the movie Doctor Strangelove, and the general who had the means to launch nukes, and actually used the ability to destroy the planet. He leveraged his position of power to promote his personal initiatives.

I started out trying to discuss alternatives to Tivo and particularly hacking the Tivo because I saw a gap in the knowledge of alternatives. I think Tivo will have a lot of competition in the coming years and new features and services will become the differentiators. The Microsoft machine and the open source community in particular will be two camps that respond with competition to Tivo. I think my post ended more negatively than I intended. For that I apoligize to those offended.

My interest in Tivo is two-fold. One is to try to distinguish the difference between it and the rest of the market, and the other is to figure out why you guys want to "hack" the Tivo instead of work on a platform that is designed to be "hacked".

Seriously, I don't believe you guys want to "hack" the Tivo for the financial benefit. I think you do this because you like to tinker, you like a challenge, and you get some satistfaction from it. I actually don't disagree with your motivations and find it interesting, or I wouldn't have joined this forum. The world needs people who think with the whole brain. This is what makes technology go round.

Someone always comes along and questions the motivation of some idea. In this case I guess I'm your devils advocate. I"m questioning what you are doing and challenging you to apply your energies towards some new ideas. I still think one potential area that would be interesting is collaborative computing for the Tivo platform. I know Tivo is working on this because they recently received FCC approval to "share" content among Tivo's.

alldeadhomiez
12-06-2004, 12:15 AM
I just want to say that I didn't see any comebacks that I could dispute. Everyone except AllHomiz actually had some to say worthwhile; apparently he just wanted to banish me based on personal principle. This reminds me of the movie Doctor Strangelove, and the general who had the means to launch nukes, and actually used the ability to destroy the planet. He leveraged his position of power to promote his personal initiatives.

If you have a problem with my handling of your troll posts, let me know and I will make sure it never becomes an issue again.

Seriously, I don't believe you guys want to "hack" the Tivo for the financial benefit.

Wow, did you come up with that all by yourself? :rolleyes:

rc3105
12-06-2004, 12:24 AM
your initial post certainly smells like a troll

the "innovative" ideas you suggested have allready been implemented, forgotten and re-implemented (by folks that missed it the first pass or didn't bother to search) a couple of times, along with tons of other things you probably haven't even thought of

tivo certainly isn't the only game in town but it's pretty nifty, particularly the dtivo side. many of us have myth or comparable systems with tivos integrated into the mix (been running that sorta stuff here since the late 80's)

strangely enough, this is mostly a tivo board so that's what we talk about here ;)

as for "real programmers", ability has very little to do with ethics. real programmers write whatever the hell they feel like. responsible programmers keep the potentially harmfull stuff private OR present it to the parties that might be harmed in "white hat" security consultant mode

AlphaWolf
12-06-2004, 01:03 AM
For some reason I was compelled to check the sewer thread first when visiting ddb today...now I know why...I smelt that troll from a mile away.

snowman
12-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Okay guys, short of the trolling bit of the post, he has legitimate questions. If I could find something faster, better, more customizable, and cheaper than Tivo, I think we'd all be on it. The guide data part has to be a for-profit enterprise, because I just don't think there are enough DEVOTED hobbyists to keep everything updated across the country with new channels, local stations and their neat little pre-emptions, etc.

DirecTV with all the valid complaints, does give us Tivo on the dirt cheap.

baggins
12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I won't bother you ppl anymore. I actually thought some of you might want to have a serious conversation about the forum topic. Apparently this is strictly grade-school here....

malfunct
12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
I won't bother you ppl anymore. I actually thought some of you might want to have a serious conversation about the forum topic. Apparently this is strictly grade-school here....

The problem is you came in here asking why we tivo hackers bother to spend time with tivos when we could be looking into other things. The answer is that we spend time with the tivo stuff because we love it regardless of whether it makes sense. If you want to talk about other media centers/players or pvr's then this isn't a great forum for it.

EDIT: After re-reading your first post I think what put off most of the people that answered you was that you pretty much said that tivo hackers don't have any common sense because hacking a tivo is a waste of time. Again, most of the people here just love tivos and love hacking tivos and we don't even care if it makes good sense.

snowman
12-06-2004, 07:40 PM

So, you open a can of worms (with a grenade I might add), then have some people explain why we don't agree with your point of view, then you proceed to treat us like we're the ones in the wrong? That's not a great way to make friends.

mrblack51
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
eh, what do you expect...its like a ford guy going to a chevy message board and saying that the mustang is better than the corvette or whatever. typical troll...and of course, once things are stirred up, they disappear

cojonesdetoro
12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Blah blah blah!!!
yak yak yak!!!
yadda yadda!!!

>:P