PDA

View Full Version : killhdinitrd upgrade from 3.1.0

loop
12-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I've read PlainBill's post and i'm not sure if killhdinitrd will work on my kernel . I'm running software version 3.1.0-01-2-151 and a kernel version 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0.

I want to change to killhdinitrd so I can backup my drive then copy it to a new 200mg drive and try to put 4.0 using AW slices. (if anyone see's a problem with my plan let me know as well :) )

/proc/version output:
Linux version 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0 (build@buildmaster10) (gcc version 3.0) #31 Mon Oct
21 18:39:42 PDT 2002

PlainBill
12-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Check the killhdinitrd support thread and see if your software version is supported. If not, use slices to upgrade to 3.1.1c. Actually, I'd question why your system already hasn't taken the upgrade. Is it hacked? Do you care if you lose your recordings?

PlainBill

loop
12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
yea its a hacked system, i initially used sleepers iso to do it, about a year ago. I want to keep all my recordings and such. I'll check out support threads.

ive been trying just to replicate my existing setup on a seperate drive (new 200mg wd) before I actually try to convert my old drive (120gb drive with recordings) to 4.0, but i've ran into these problems, maybe they could quickly solved.

1. I'm booting from tivo scripts,
2. restoring my factory drive's image (i think its 3.1.0, not sure)
3. checked drive after restore...fine.
4. Applied all the "surgery" updates manually because i get so many seg. faults and such when trying to use the automated script.
5. Checked drive ...fails.

It just stays on the powering up screen. No errors when applying the updates and here's my bootpage output i'm thinking it might be something simple like a missed \' typo in the bootpage parms.

bootpage -p /dev/hdc output:
root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 BASH_ENV='mount$IFS/dev/hda14$IFS/mnt;echo$IFS/mnt/runmonte'

PlainBill
12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
yea its a hacked system, i initially used sleepers iso to do it, about a year ago. I want to keep all my recordings and such. I'll check out support threads.

ive been trying just to replicate my existing setup on a seperate drive (new 200mg wd) before I actually try to convert my old drive (120gb drive with recordings) to 4.0, but i've ran into these problems, maybe they could quickly solved.

1. I'm booting from tivo scripts,
2. restoring my factory drive's image (i think its 3.1.0, not sure)
3. checked drive after restore...fine.
4. Applied all the "surgery" updates manually because i get so many seg. faults and such when trying to use the automated script.
5. Checked drive ...fails.

It just stays on the powering up screen. No errors when applying the updates and here's my bootpage output i'm thinking it might be something simple like a missed \' typo in the bootpage parms.

bootpage -p /dev/hdc output:
root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 BASH_ENV='mount$IFS/dev/hda14$IFS/mnt;echo$IFS/mnt/runmonte'

Seg. faults are a sign of troubles. It would be a REAL good idea to find out what is going wrong.

Suggestion: Restore the image to the 'test' drive, verify it works on the DirecTiVo. Then run killhdinitrd (note that at this point, bootpage -p will return the true root partition; and kernel partition will be one less). Test the drive in the TiVo again. If it works, it is time to load a killhdinitrd kernel on the 'working' drive (note that on that drive, bootpage reports the opposite partition set), flip bootpage, reset boot paraments, etc.

Before going too far with this, it is a very good idea to figure out what is going wron while trying to run TiVoScripts.

PlainBill

loop
12-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking since i'm running this all on a bios that isnt' recognizing the full capacity 200gb hd it's what's causing these seg faults when running the automated script.

Maybe that has nothing to do with it i'm not sure, what do you think? I'm also having a lot of problems trying to restore images 4 out of 5 times when trying a restore I get Restore Failed errors, which is so random because it will work with the image one time then the next time it will fail with the same image and setup. Any suggestions or ideas for this?

I'm going to try your suggestion on loading killinitrc once I successfully get the image restored on my "test" drive.

(WHen I run the same commands that tivoscripts is doing i get no seg faults.)

PlainBill
12-05-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking since i'm running this all on a bios that isnt' recognizing the full capacity 200gb hd it's what's causing these seg faults when running the automated script.

<SNIP>

(WHen I run the same commands that tivoscripts is doing i get no seg faults.)

Of course, when copying your 'working' drive, it would be important to use a motherboard / bios that recognises the full capacity of the drives.

PlainBill

loop
12-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I just want to make sure i'm completely clear about this before I start messing around with my "real" drive with recordings and such..

1. I was able to successfully restore my factory image to my test drive,
2. I then was able to update my kernel with PTVUpgrade kernel (which already has killhdinitrd installed on it) to my test drive and it worked in my tivo.
-bootage -p /dev/hdc => ...root=/dev/hdc7...
(since this isn't monte'd yet root = 7 and boot = 6)
-zcat ... | dd of=/dev/hdc6 (installed killhdinitrd on 6)

At this point I can assume i have a working tivo with killhdinitrd installed on boot partition 6. (no hacks yet)

Assuming everything above is correct, if I install this on my real monte'd drive killhdinitrd will be installed on 6 in place of the monte and everything will work as it did before with hacks and recordings still in tact? I don't need to do any uninstall or removal of the monte stuff and my rc.sysinit.author will continue to function as before??

PlainBill
12-05-2004, 11:44 PM
I just want to make sure i'm completely clear about this before I start messing around with my "real" drive with recordings and such..

1. I was able to successfully restore my factory image to my test drive,
2. I then was able to update my kernel with PTVUpgrade kernel (which already has killhdinitrd installed on it) to my test drive and it worked in my tivo.
-bootage -p /dev/hdc => ...root=/dev/hdc7...
(since this isn't monte'd yet root = 7 and boot = 6)
-zcat ... | dd of=/dev/hdc6 (installed killhdinitrd on 6)

At this point I can assume i have a working tivo with killhdinitrd installed on boot partition 6. (no hacks yet)

Assuming everything above is correct, if I install this on my real monte'd drive killhdinitrd will be installed on 6 in place of the monte and everything will work as it did before with hacks and recordings still in tact? I don't need to do any uninstall or removal of the monte stuff and my rc.sysinit.author will continue to function as before??

Everything you did appears to be correct. However, when working with your 'real' drive, don't leave anything to chance. Partition 6 is probably your 'true' kernel partition; partition 7 your 'true' root partition, but DON'T take any chances by assuming. This http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196162&postcount=3 is a procedure to update from Monte to killhdinitrd for 4.01; of course, you should extract the 3.1.1c kernel instead.

Once you've done this the system no longer uses Monte; the files are still there, but ignored, and rc.sysinit.author still runs.

PlainBill