PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with an xbox?

snowman
12-06-2004, 04:51 PM
I just got an Xbox, have used the tools here to hack my Tivo into something I like.

Long and short, is there anything useful I can do with the xbox without buying a hacked chip? Everything I've read thus far seems to indicate that a mod chip is the first thing needed to do much of anything. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm just not interested in playing with the chip.

JohnSorTivo
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
I just got an Xbox, have used the tools here to hack my Tivo into something I like.

Long and short, is there anything useful I can do with the xbox without buying a hacked chip? Everything I've read thus far seems to indicate that a mod chip is the first thing needed to do much of anything. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm just not interested in playing with the chip.
You can flash the xbox's TSOP, to make it hackable, without installing a modchip. Xbox-scene is the best place to learn more, in general, and the following forum talks about TSOP flashing in particular:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=43

trob
12-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I would heavily recommend the chip route. Its safer and easier to enable/disable. I use my chippedbox more for its multimedia capibilites than I do gaming.

JohnSorTivo
12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
I would heavily recommend the chip route. Its safer and easier to enable/disable. I use my chippedbox more for its multimedia capibilites than I do gaming.
I agree with trob, and I personally think hacking the xbox is a much simpler process that even the Tivo, despite using a modchip.

BTW, I can't remember the last time I actually played a game with my xbox, but I use XBMC, for streaming media, almost daily.

redfiver
12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
and the newer versions of XBMC are great. There is iTunes support so you can play all your iTunes playlists through the xbox. I really enjoy that feature. I just made XBMC my dashboard as i was using it more than anything else, so might as well have it launch when I boot up the xbox :-)

grabb
12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I disagree with John and trob to some degree on the issue of using a modchip vs. a softmod. The modchip is a technically superior solution (especially if you wan to use xbox live). However, it requires some soldering skills and equipment that many people just don't have. That being said, I recommend using a modchip if you have an older xbox, as the soldering required is easy (and there is a no solder option which works pretty well). If you have a 1.6 version xbox (made within last year or so) installation of a modchip requires some very difficult soldering, and I would recommend using the softmod. ltools will automate the softmod. To put it in Tivo-speak

modchip ~ prom mod
softmod ~ killhdinitrd
ltools ~ sleepers (cd for beginners)

JohnSorTivo
12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I disagree with John and trob to some degree on the issue of using a modchip vs. a softmod....
I hear your point. However, you downplayed in your reply the fact that you can use a pogo pin modchip, which eliminates the requirement for any soldering skills whatsoever. While you pay a bit of a premium for the luxury, it removes this skill (soldering) as a requirment for choosing this approach.

For me, it couldn't have been easier, or more convenient, to simply pop open the case, drop my modchip in place, and continue.

grabb
12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Can you do a pogo install on version 1.6 boards? If so, then I agree this is probably better than a softmod. Even more so if you wish to play xbox live, as the softmod pretty much eliminates that possibility.
But as to the main question of what can you do with an xbox, XBMC is very good and well worth the effort of modding. Also, you can use Avalaunch to run multiplayer games over the Xlink KAI network. It's basically a way to tunnel the xlink cable over tcp/ip, which means you can play xlink games over the network. It can fill the need for multiplayer gaming for those of us too cheap to get xbox live.

redfiver
12-12-2004, 05:27 AM
There is no "solderless" install for a 1.6. You must solder to rebuild the LPC on any 1.6 mobo.

You can't really use xbox live, even with a modchip anymore. MS looks at your HD and if it's been modified, then can still ban you. best bet these days, one xbox for live, one xbox for mod work. XBMC is worth the cost of the xbox and modding.

You can run Xlink Kai over dashboards other than Avalaunch. In fact, XBMC has links for Xlink Kai. Those types of service are cool. I wish that xbconnect and Xlink Kai were basically the same service. Be nice to have one service (one service that is non-MS at least).

grabb
12-14-2004, 02:50 PM
I looked into it, and there is a solderless 1.6 solution. You don't even need the LPC re-build. It's called the Spider chip, and it uses some sort of spring-tipped wires that you insert into the via's of the board. I doubt this type of install would survive a good bump to the unit, but I guarantee it's going to work out better than soldering for people who are not well practiced with an iron.

redfiver
12-14-2004, 05:26 PM
interesting. How many spring loaded wires does it have then? must be lots! I'd be surprised if it survived being put back together! :-) People have trouble with the 1 spring loaded wire on the solderless Xenium adapter for pre 1.6 xboxes, can't imagine how they'll do with multiple spring wires! :-)

If you can't solder, it's not overly expensive to have someone install the chip for you. And, if you can't place the spring wires, you really shouldn't be opening up the xbox, that kind of thing is pretty easy as far as mods go.

cojonesdetoro
12-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I found that XBOX Media Center will play a DVD and (conveniently) leave out the MacroVision signal.

Nice for archiving your original DVDs with a DVD recorder and give the kids a copy to play with or keep the copy in the car. Of course, full resoulution, menus, 5.1 audio, original quality and other extras are lost but that's probably acceptable for most applications (little 7" portable/car players). Also, XBMC does not support DVD menus. It still looks better than a SVHS original.

There are also in-line devices that remove the MV signal but they are not 100% clean and cost ~$100.

BTW: My SA1/3.0 Tivo will also record with MV signal present but the recording is extractable to DVD with tytools.

redfiver
12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
I really wish XBMC had menu support for DVDs! It would be near perfect then :)

kungpaomaster
12-15-2004, 11:44 AM
If you don't have a 1.6 xbox, and don't care for xbox live, TSOP flash is the way to go. It's free and you get the same functionality as a modchip. If you want online gaming with xbox, xlink kai works great! And again... it's free. I'm just making suggestions based on what most people care about... $$$. Free is GOOD.

If you can hack a Tivo, you can hack an xbox.

cojonesdetoro
12-21-2004, 01:33 PM
I really wish XBMC had menu support for DVDs! It would be near perfect then :)

Then don't forget to donate! :-)

http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/

It's being worked on but the developers are going through some of the same angst that people here have experienced. They do all this hard work for fun only to watch others profit from it. So now they're trying to cash at least a little. I doubt they're making a lot of money. It probably just helps to defray their personal costs of pursuing the hobby.

redfiver
12-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh don't worry, I have donated! I really like that program!

Seattle206
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I agree with the guy that said if you can hack a tivo you can hack an xbox!

Xbox is 100 times easier and faster to hack then a tivo! :eek:

kungpaomaster
01-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I decided to try the softmod for S&G the other day. I have to say that I'm now a believer. If you don't care to use xBox live, SOFTMOD is the easiest way to go. You don't even have to open the xBox. I did it in less than 5 minutes. It has come a long way. I did the nkpatcher method with the shadowc implementation. Works like a champ!

boboli
01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
When I was in my HTPC days I spent hours and hours trying to configure the hardware just right.

Imagine my embarrassment when I loaded up XBMC and discovered that it could play media better than my top of the line HTPC.

I was further astonished to see that I could access my HTPC's video files via SMB and simply play the video files over my LAN thru the XBOX into the other TV... Whooaaaaaa!!!

If possible, what would be the best way to utilize the XBOX as an Media Client and play video from the TIVO?

B

lart2150
01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
there is a build of ccxstream for the tivo and with that you can stream from your tivo to your xbox :-D the only down side is that program LOVES to crash or at least the build I have.

(s1 binary) http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xbplayer/ccxstream-1.0.15-tivo.tar.gz

there is also another little toy to play with xbmc and your tivo

http://www.fatattitude.com/software/tivox-info.asp?app=8

boboli
01-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanx for the input... I tried the CCX route but I couldn't get past Python (how the HELL do you decompress a .zlib file anyways)

I'll check out that other site....

Thanx

B

jkrell
01-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I decided to try the softmod for S&G the other day. I have to say that I'm now a believer. If you don't care to use xBox live, SOFTMOD is the easiest way to go. You don't even have to open the xBox. I did it in less than 5 minutes. It has come a long way. I did the nkpatcher method with the shadowc implementation. Works like a champ!

Where did you fing the nkpatcher method?

Generiq
01-15-2005, 05:13 PM
I am sure x-scene.com would have the info and the files would be in the usual places.

kungpaomaster
01-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Yep! xbox-scene.

Here are the general steps.

1. Gain access to xbox HDD using a gamesave exploit (i used splinter cell).
2. FTP to xbox C drive and backup the entire xbox C drive to your PC (less than 500 MB).
3. Delete your xbox C drive, and FTP the nkpatcher folder contents to the xbox C drive.
4. Reboot the xbox and there you have it!

Amazing how easy it is.

jkrell
01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Yep! xbox-scene.

Here are the general steps.

1. Gain access to xbox HDD using a gamesave exploit (i used splinter cell).
2. FTP to xbox C drive and backup the entire xbox C drive to your PC (less than 500 MB).
3. Delete your xbox C drive, and FTP the nkpatcher folder contents to the xbox C drive.
4. Reboot the xbox and there you have it!

Amazing how easy it is.

Did it. It is easy, but a bit harder since I did not go the gamesave route.

kungpaomaster
01-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I had decided to do the modchip awhile ago. Back then everyone down talked softmods so I didn't even bother. Recently, I had read rumors of it being much better. So I tried it myself on a stock xbox. It was a lot easier since I had an already modded xbox. Well, easier to xfer the exploit files to the memory card.

There's a utility (boot CD I think) out now that makes it even easier if you don't mind opening your xbox and pulling the HDD and putting in a PC.

Good job on the softmod, and welcome to the world of XBS. It's amazing how much time people put into creating apps for the xBox... for free, and some I would pay money for (and have). :D

wsly
03-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Just a little fyi..... tsop flashing is the old way to do it.... we now use softmods like the posts above (loads the bios off the hdd via a bootloader) . This is very easy and simple to do, it doesn't require you to open the xbox and is completely reversible (as long as you backed up your xbox c drive)..

if you have some ? let me know (i've modded well over my share of xbox's with and without mod chips)

boxx
03-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanx for the input... I tried the CCX route but I couldn't get past Python (how the HELL do you decompress a .zlib file anyways)

I'll check out that other site....

Thanx

B

I use WinRar. I extract the files and Tivoftpd the files into my Tivo...