PDA

View Full Version : Using TyTool and Encore DVD?

BoB-O TiVo
12-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Hello all,

I recently used Adobe Encore DVD to make a DVD of a home movie and I like it quite a bit. I'm now trying to make a DVD of stuff that I got from my series 1 DTivo (SAT-T60). However, I'm having some problems getting the output of TyTool into Encore. Encore only accepts MPEG, so I know VOBs are out. I've tried muxing a show into MPEG using both muxers (old and new). I use Womble's tools to fix the GOP errors. Encore doesn't like 480x480, so I have to use DVD patcher to get the video to 720x480. To do this, I select Bitrate=15Mb, Aspect=4:3, Size=720x480, Patch=entire file. Now, Encore will accept the file, but if I try to do anything to it, Encore hangs. I assume Encore doesn't like the loosely formatted MPEG that I'm feeding it.

Has anybody used Encore with TyTool? What steps did you use?

Thanks,
BoB

snoots
12-12-2004, 09:43 PM
just patch the header not the whole file

BoB-O TiVo
12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! I forgot to write in there that I tried that as well. I'm really baffled. Is there a good way to get very standard MPEG2 from a tystream without transcoding?

Have you used Encore to do this?

Thanks again,
BoB

malfunct
12-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! I forgot to write in there that I tried that as well. I'm really baffled. Is there a good way to get very standard MPEG2 from a tystream without transcoding?

Have you used Encore to do this?

Thanks again,
BoB

mpeg2 is not at all standard. If what you want is standard dvd mpeg2 that is a different story. There are a few threads that tell you how to set the recording resolution to 720x480 on a stand alone machine which puts it pretty close to what is expected for dvd. From a dtivo you can't change resolution so you have no hope without transcoding to get standard dvd video. For the most part you are better off using a program that can accept the non-standard video and make a non-standard dvd which you play on a dvd player that does well with it.

mikey
12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Why not just use TyToll for the whole dvd authoring process? Unless you have one of the picky dvd players it will work just as well.
Mikey

PTravel
12-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Hello all,

I recently used Adobe Encore DVD to make a DVD of a home movie and I like it quite a bit. I'm now trying to make a DVD of stuff that I got from my series 1 DTivo (SAT-T60). However, I'm having some problems getting the output of TyTool into Encore. Encore only accepts MPEG, so I know VOBs are out. I've tried muxing a show into MPEG using both muxers (old and new). I use Womble's tools to fix the GOP errors. Encore doesn't like 480x480, so I have to use DVD patcher to get the video to 720x480. To do this, I select Bitrate=15Mb, Aspect=4:3, Size=720x480, Patch=entire file. Now, Encore will accept the file, but if I try to do anything to it, Encore hangs. I assume Encore doesn't like the loosely formatted MPEG that I'm feeding it.

Has anybody used Encore with TyTool? What steps did you use?

Thanks,
BoB
I've run into the same problem and would like to know a good solution. As an interim measure, I'm transcoding the TyTool-produced mpg using tmpgenc, which produces quite good output that Encore will accept. The problem is, it adds a lot of time to the process -- 3 hours to transcode a 180 minute film using a 3 GHz P4.

ericchile
12-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I also have the same problem.. I use encore because I can create very nice menus via photoshop, which you can't do with other DVD authoring programs.
Anyway to make a nice mpeg that encore won't puke with?

cheer
12-19-2005, 09:01 PM
The bottom line is if Encore doesn't like the mpgs straight out, you can't do much without re-encoding.

Which, of course, is what one of the above posters did with TMPGEnc. But that means time -- and it means a loss of quality.

Not much else you can do other than bail on Encore and use something that can handle Tivo-output MPGs.

ericchile
12-20-2005, 12:15 AM
I agree... although even after using tytool -> mpg TMPGenc says the file is unsupported? I have tried different versions... including 2.59 I have now. Anyone know why? Encore is still very young compared to other Adobe products... but I agree... lets send emails.

ericchile
12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Even when I import the mpeg file into Premier the play back is really jumbled. It will stop then play really fast every 5 seconds. But when I play it with ms player it works fine? How can I get this video from 480x480 to 720x480 and have it look normal on a tv?

cheer
12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Even when I import the mpeg file into Premier the play back is really jumbled. It will stop then play really fast every 5 seconds. But when I play it with ms player it works fine? How can I get this video from 480x480 to 720x480 and have it look normal on a tv?
To do that you have to re-encode it (using TMPGEnc or something similar), but it's going to degrade the quality when you do -- not only are you recompressing; you're blowing it up.

ericchile
12-20-2005, 06:13 PM
So far I haven't got TMPGenc to even take in the mpg file that was multiplexed by tytools. All I get is an unsupported file error. I have built dvds via tytools, and it works.

But I want to create nice menus via photoshop... How do you suggest moving video from ty format to something that encore to will accept? ie 720x480.

Im open to suggestions!

superleo
12-20-2005, 07:12 PM
But I want to create nice menus via photoshop... How do you suggest moving video from ty format to something that encore to will accept? ie 720x480.

Im open to suggestions!

If wat you want is nice menues I would suggest you try DvdLab. The limitation on creating menus is pretty much your atistic side.

I still use the old 1.3 version, but for what ppl in this forum say DvdLab Pro will also work. I had tryed it in the past but I had some issues in the creation phase, so "if it aint broke" so I stick to DvdLab 1.3

cheer
12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
DVD-Lab Pro isn't quite as good with Tivo-sourced files as it lacks the "alternate" muxing mode. Regular DVD-Lab is more tolerant.

I have never had a problem with TPMGEnc. Make sure you are using TMPGENC Plus and not TMPG DVD Author. I presume you are muxing to mpg using TyTool first.

But again, then you're re-encoding, which will reduce quality. The advantage of DVD-Lab is that it won't re-encode; it will simply burn a DVD at 480x480 (or whatever resolution you feed it). Not all DVD players like this, but most modern ones do fine.

archieellis
12-20-2005, 11:13 PM
This may be somewhat anitquated, but I used DVD Maestro to make my tyDVDs. You need to patch the header, but other than that it has no problem with the demuxed mpgs. It can use photosphop psd files as menu backgrounds and subpictures.

One of these days I'll give DVD Lab a try.

ericchile
12-21-2005, 11:11 AM
DVD Maestro .... Ok thanks I'll have a look!