PDA

View Full Version : How to automatically run the fixup02c script

Dr. TiVoHacker
09-17-2001, 06:03 PM
The below steps will trick your DirecTiVo into thinking it actually dials out. It will actually attempt to connect with ppp and fail, but instead of failing it will execute the fixup02c script and return a succeeded message.

1) Place the fixup02c file in your tivo. I put mine in the /var/hack directory I created.

2) Be sure to do a "chattr +i fixup02c" to be sure your unit does not overwrite the file upon reboot. Also make sure you do a "chmod 755 fixup02c" to make the file executable.

3) go to the /tvlib/tcl/tv directory. "cd /tvlib/tcl/tv"

4) Find the following lines in the file "TClient-lib.itcl" and edit it. You can use an editor on your TiVo if you have that, or transfer it to your computer and modify, and then transfer back to the TiVo. Your choice.

if [file exists /var/tmp/pppaddr] {
if {[connectPPP $phone $pppUser $pppPass] != 0} {
delete object $idb
delete object $tcd411
putlog "PPP has failed, we've warned the user, set status to Failed"
toggleLed 0
after 5000
#set subtype 8
#SendDialupEvent $subtype "Failed"
#updateStatus "NH|Failed"
updateStatus $StatusStrings::Failed
return 1
}
} else {

Change it to the following

if [file exists /var/tmp/pppaddr] {
if {[connectPPP $phone $pppUser $pppPass] != 0} {
delete object $idb
delete object $tcd411
putlog "PPP has failed, we've warned the user, set status to Failed"
toggleLed 0
after 5000
#set subtype 8
#SendDialupEvent $subtype "Failed"
#updateStatus "NH|Failed"
updateStatus $StatusStrings::Succeeded
exec /var/hack/fixup02c.tcl
return 0
}
} else {

continued next message---------------->

Dr. TiVoHacker
09-17-2001, 06:04 PM
So you can see we are changing the line with updateStatus in it to it is set to Succeeded instead of failed. We are also changing the "return 1" to "return 0". We are also adding a line to execute the fixup02c script. You can see I named the file fixup02c.tcl instead of just fixup02c. It shouldn't matter what the filename is, just make sure the filename on the disk matches what you have in the TClient-lib.itcl file.

5) Go ahead and force a daily call and make sure you have your phone line uplugged.

ovit
09-17-2001, 08:21 PM
Does this apply to software version under 2.5 only ?

mrblack51
09-18-2001, 03:41 AM
just a heads up on the great info, which works awesome:

it didn't work at first. i have tivonet installed in my dtivo, with the default route removed (so it couldn't connect out over the tivonet, other than to my local network). i found that the changes to the TClient-lib file weren't helping. i ended up making an empty text file /var/tmp/pppaddr and doing a chattr +i on it to keep it from being deleted. all seems well on that now.

for those of you running ppp over serial, this may help you as well.

Glitched
09-19-2001, 12:30 AM
ive tried 3-4 different ways to do this in the past few weeks, i must say, this is by FAR the best yet, this works great!!! thank you!!:D

ovit
09-19-2001, 07:29 AM
Great news, my question is does any of this werk on 2.5?..thx

mrblack51
09-19-2001, 11:48 AM
at this point, there is no way to get around the file checking problem on 2.5. you could make the changes, but 1 of two things will happen:

1) if you used chattr, a 2.5 tivo will try to fix the file then reboot. since it cant fix the file, you will have infinite reboots.

2) if you don't use chatter, 2.5 will replace the new file with its good copy.

short answer: not yet

zo6vette
09-29-2001, 02:52 AM
I used chattr +i to modify the setup.itcl.. and am dialing in once a month.. is this ok under 2.5?

TiVo DTV
10-04-2001, 02:47 PM
I am very computer literate but not vry linux literate. I have been successful in adding storage capacity to each of my 4 TiVo's utilizing the MFS Utilities. Can anyone explain exactly how to initiate the fixup02c script. (Like where is it located, how do you edit it?) I am very comfortable with booting up with a linux boot disk on a windows 98 pc with my TiVo drives attached. So how do I find the script and how do I edit it in Linux? Thanks in advance for anyone who could help!

jasongt
10-04-2001, 10:35 PM
will this fix work on a dtivo unit that has never called in or done any type of phone connection setup? If not what do I need to do? Also how do you force a call? Anytime I touch the tivo button it wants to call to update the number to call for my area.

Thanks,
Jason

jasongt
10-04-2001, 10:48 PM
will this fix work on a dtivo unit that has never called in or done any type of phone connection setup? If not what do I need to do? Also how do you force a call? Anytime I touch the tivo button it wants to call to update the number to call for my area.

Thanks,
Jason

Glitched
10-05-2001, 02:28 AM
very simple fix if the unit has not called in before.....all you have to do (if you read the comments in the fixup script(not that you didnt ;) ) is to uncomment the line, (remove the pound)
"# dbobj $sobj set Complete 1"
and change it to "complete 7"
" dbobj $sobj set Complete 7"
im pretty sure it is 7 :rolleyes: setup is now completed :D

surd615
10-11-2001, 11:08 AM
I am a relative newbie to TiVo hacking so please bear with me.

I have made all the changes suggested above to my SA. When I reboot, I still get the nag screen about the TiVo being out of guide data. When I go to check the phone connection, it tells me the last call was successful, even though I have not yet made a call. If I do try to make a call, I get a failure, saying 'Unknown Problem', even if the phone line is plugged in. The TiVo is a unit that is known to be good. I got it from a friend who gave it to me after he cancelled his subscription (he got a Replay).

I cannot watch Live TV regardless of whether I try to make a call or not. My unit is running 2.0.1-001-000.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help

Glitched
10-11-2001, 01:59 PM
notice you are in the DIRECTivo forum.... the fixup will work on a standalone, but you will have to import guide data....
(importing guide data = pain in ass), this particular hack is intened to be used on the combo units.. if the call is failing, you havent done something right... because ity should succceed even without a phone line plugged in, even on a standalone.

surd615
10-11-2001, 02:09 PM
I am a relative newbie to TiVo hacking so please bear with me.

I have made all the changes suggested above to my SA. When I reboot, I still get the nag screen about the TiVo being out of guide data. When I go to check the phone connection, it tells me the last call was successful, even though I have not yet made a call. If I do try to make a call, I get a failure, saying 'Unknown Problem', even if the phone line is plugged in. The TiVo is a unit that is known to be good. I got it from a friend who gave it to me after he cancelled his subscription (he got a Replay).

I cannot watch Live TV regardless of whether I try to make a call or not. My unit is running 2.0.1-001-000.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help

winter
10-11-2001, 07:33 PM
Echo?

SP7128
10-24-2001, 05:57 PM
i have a virgin 6000 how do i keep it from updating to 2.5 if its not already ..after i intall fixup....will it keep it from updating or
is that automatic .............and is there a web or file i can dl that would have the fixup directions in plain english.........im used to
windows but linux is something new........any help is greatly apprciated............and i read the comments in the post at the first of this topic and i cant see where it says if it has never dialed out ..remove the #...........im lookin but not seeing ...sorry

Rant
10-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Keep the phone line away from your DSR6000 and you won't have to worry about a 2.5 upgrade. Software upgrades come only over the phone line and not over the satellite. As far as your question, the line you're looking for is about midway through the fixup02c file when editing with a text editor.

embeem
10-24-2001, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Rant
Keep the phone line away from your DSR6000 and you won't have to worry about a 2.5 upgrade. Software upgrades come only over the phone line and not over the satellite. As far as your question, the line you're looking for is about midway through the fixup02c file when editing with a text editor.

I'd think it'd be more accurate to say that software upgrades have yet to come over satellite; not that it would be impossible for them to.

SP7128
10-24-2001, 11:51 PM
is there a website that has the how to for "testing' of the tivo..........i have pc with win ME....and i did look at the harddrive in the tivo tonite .........just need "tivo for dummies" help with tivo testing setup ...............and on another note .......if i dual lnb can i pip with my dtv reciever w/o having tivo setup .........:confused:

arnholio
10-30-2001, 08:37 PM
how do you tell what version software a sat-t60 has on it? is there a way to tell from the serial number or do you just take your chances?

also, if it has 2.5 on it, is there a way to downgrade?

Glitched
10-31-2001, 12:28 AM
There is not way to tell what software version you have by serial number or anything short of powering on the unit and checking the system info.
I have yet to hear of a directivo comming with 2.5 on it, remember it was only released(2.5) not very long ago, i wouldnt worry about anything you could buy right now. But the longer you wait, the better the chance of it having 2.5 ;)

patriot
10-31-2001, 03:27 AM
arnhalio asked
"if it has 2.5 on it, is there a way to downgrade?"

I too would like the answer to this.....

newlooper
11-01-2001, 07:41 AM
Patriot,

If you look through the threads, there is a website with images on it which are older than waht you have. That will definitely work for you.:p

patriot
11-01-2001, 10:39 AM
i got the image, do i need to apply this fixup02c file to the image as well?

i found the image at this site
ftp://ftp.abs.net

Glitched
11-01-2001, 11:42 AM
Im really not to sure about this, but i thought it would be worth mentioning. The prom is ugraded also in the 2.5 upgrade, I beleive I have read somewhere here that the 2.5 prom WILL work with a 2.01(or 2.0) drive image. but it might be worth looking into!

newlooper
11-01-2001, 03:58 PM
Glitched you are correct. Even though the prom has been upgraded 2.01 will still work. You just dont get the dual tuners as far as I can see.