PDA

View Full Version : HDTivo Resolution change for DVD compliance

TheSaint
12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
My apologies up front for asking what is probably known by everyone :)

How is the resolution changed from HDTivo to get to compliant DVD? My source is 1920x1088. Does Tytool take care of this or do I need to use DVDPatcher or some other program? I don't believe Tytool does this as created IFO's still report 1920x1088 by WinDVD.

I guess I haven't been paying attention because I've had a SA Series 1 forever and it was already set to produce 720x480 so I never had to do anything extra to get it to work. This is the first series 2 box I've owned so I'm trying to get up to speed on the DVD process from directv streams.

Thanks,
TheSaint

malfunct
12-19-2004, 02:33 PM
My apologies up front for asking what is probably known by everyone :)

How is the resolution changed from HDTivo to get to compliant DVD? My source is 1920x1088. Does Tytool take care of this or do I need to use DVDPatcher or some other program? I don't believe Tytool does this as created IFO's still report 1920x1088 by WinDVD.

I guess I haven't been paying attention because I've had a SA Series 1 forever and it was already set to produce 720x480 so I never had to do anything extra to get it to work. This is the first series 2 box I've owned so I'm trying to get up to speed on the DVD process from directv streams.

Thanks,
TheSaint

You would need to run the video through something that could transcode it. Tytool can't do this work.

ronnythunder
12-19-2004, 03:13 PM
also realize that you're not dealing with a standalone any more. no actual encoding is done in the box, whereas with your s1, you were controlling the behavior of the encoder chip in the machine itself.

whether ota or directv, the data is already encoded for you and can't be changed on a hd tivo.

ronny

TheSaint
12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
You would need to run the video through something that could transcode it. Tytool can't do this work.

Care to make some transcore tool suggestions?

malfunct
12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Care to make some transcore tool suggestions?

I've used tmpegenc and it worked pretty well. Mostly I don't transcode my video though.

EDIT: I don't transcode because I don't have any HD content. Sorry I can't be much more help.

TheSaint
02-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Still haven't found the tool that can transcode my tytool high definition HDTivo output into DVD compliance. The mpegs produced from Tytool play fine in their higher resolution state, at least on WinDVD. I have an mpeg that has Dolby Digital content and I'm trying to transcode it using TMPGenc. However, transcoding yields no audio probably since I don't have the Dolby Digital plugin.

Before I go out and buy this plugin, has anyone had success using TMPGenc to transcode their hidef content with Dolby Digital audio?

I've searched and searched for transcoding tools but haven't been successful finding anything that works. I suspect someone out there knows a good tool for doing this and I'd appreciate it if they'd share what it is.

captain_video
02-01-2005, 02:54 PM
You might want to check the forums at doom9.org or afterdawn.com for transcoding tools and guides for using them. VCDhelp is another site you might try. I think most of the current tools work with non-HD formats but there's probably something out there I'm not aware of. I've never tried anything that would convert the resolution but I have tried tools for re-encoding the bitrate for squeezing dual-layer DVDs (DVD-9) down to fit onto a single recordable disc (DVD-5).

Jittery
02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
If you demux (to separate the video stream from the audio) before resizing in TMPGenc 3.0 XPress then re-multiplex after the resize your audio should be just fine. Even 5.1 audio comes out just fine on the other end. We have done about 25 shows with the following process:

- use tytool to download, edit and mux the ty file
- demultiplex the file in TMPGenc to separate the video and audio streams (use the MPEG tools button)
- process the file to resize with TMPGenc (make sure resize is selected under filters)
- remux the file with TMPGenc
- load in DVDAuthor for making the DVD layout.....

This process has worked perfectly for all of the HD OTA stations we have recorded from here in Houston as well as as HD content from Directv (so far).

Jittery

TheSaint
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
If you demux (to separate the video stream from the audio) before resizing in TMPGenc 3.0 XPress then re-multiplex after the resize your audio should be just fine. Even 5.1 audio comes out just fine on the other end. We have done about 25 shows with the following process:

- use tytool to download, edit and mux the ty file
- demultiplex the file in TMPGenc to separate the video and audio streams (use the MPEG tools button)
- process the file to resize with TMPGenc (make sure resize is selected under filters)
- remux the file with TMPGenc
- load in DVDAuthor for making the DVD layout.....

This process has worked perfectly for all of the HD OTA stations we have recorded from here in Houston as well as as HD content from Directv (so far).

Jittery

Jittery,

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try.

bigrig
02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
NeroVision worked a lot faster than TMPGEnc for me.

Matt

laserfan
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Over at the avsforum, they talk a lot about HDTV2MPEG2 for transcoding HD transport streams.

Honestly I dunno much of anything about this proggie, or the HD-Tivo's format, but it's free so may be worth a look.

TheSaint
02-12-2005, 08:25 AM
NeroVision worked a lot faster than TMPGEnc for me.

Matt

I could use something faster! I transcoded a high def 11Gb stream using TMPGEnc to DVD compliance and it took 22 hours(AMD Athlon 2100+).

The results were very good, albeit slow. I wish I knew how to calculate and implement the level of compression because my 11Gb went to 2.5Gb. I would have preferred a lit more to bring it up to the 4.7Gb DVD size.

gottahavit
02-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I could use something faster! I transcoded a high def 11Gb stream using TMPGEnc to DVD compliance and it took 22 hours(AMD Athlon 2100+).

The results were very good, albeit slow. I wish I knew how to calculate and implement the level of compression because my 11Gb went to 2.5Gb. I would have preferred a lit more to bring it up to the 4.7Gb DVD size.

first your times seem strange, I do this all the time one of my PCs is a athlon 2100, it takes about half that time for a 2 hour movie. I have a celeron 2.4 laptop and it will do the same in about 8 hours.

second, tmpgenc shows you exactly how big your compressed m2v file will be as you enter the desired bitrate. It even shows you what % of a DVD+r you are going to use.

the process as stated above seems the best. I have tried demuxing and remuxing with tytools, but it never seems to get theA/V sync right in the end when using DD 5.1

TheSaint
02-12-2005, 07:18 PM
first your times seem strange, I do this all the time one of my PCs is a athlon 2100, it takes about half that time for a 2 hour movie. I have a celeron 2.4 laptop and it will do the same in about 8 hours.

second, tmpgenc shows you exactly how big your compressed m2v file will be as you enter the desired bitrate. It even shows you what % of a DVD+r you are going to use.

the process as stated above seems the best. I have tried demuxing and remuxing with tytools, but it never seems to get theA/V sync right in the end when using DD 5.1

I'm using v2.5 of TMPGenc. I suspect you're referring to a newer version as I haven't come across in this tool those options/outputs.

gottahavit
02-12-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm using v2.5 of TMPGenc. I suspect you're referring to a newer version as I haven't come across in this tool those options/outputs.
I am also using 2.5(2.54.37), the screen I refer to is the project wizard off the file menu.

anyway it's a simple calculation if you use 6mbit bitrate you get about 90 minutes on a DVD+R with room for audio.

gottahavit
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Jittery,

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try.
ok after using thismethod for a while, I have switch out one step. Ihave started using dvd2avi to denus the audio(not that this matters), but more importantly I use the Dvd2Avi plugin for tmpegenc to frameserve. It is faster than using the mpeg 2 plugin and it results in what I consider higher quality video.

Use tytool to download/edit/mplex the ty file.

load the HD mpeg into dvd2avi and then save the project, this will make a d2v file and an AC3 file.

Open tmpeg and make sure the dvd2avi plugin is enabled and then load the d2v file as the video input.

When thats done use the tmpeg tools to multiplex the new m2v file and the original ac3 file made by dvd2avi

then use tytool/dvdauthor to make the dvd.

The quality difference is not huge, but it is definitely faster this way.

airf00
02-21-2005, 12:52 PM
erased my original question...

Used Nerovision and sucessfully completed a HDTivo --> dvd. Long process but I'm glad it worked.

airf00
02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
erased my original question...

Used Nerovision and sucessfully completed a HDTivo --> dvd. Long process but I'm glad it worked.

Nope, I spoke too soon. The video is choppy. Tried another vob (small one) and choppy even on best mode of encoding/making.

Any other software out there? I tried adobe premier elements and that is choppy too. I'd go buy Tmpgenc (3.x) but if that is choppy too I'll pass.

Too bad there aren't more people trying this... others have to have had more success. :(

airf00
02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Talking to myself here. ;)

I was using VOB's in Nerovision and tried MPG's. No more choppy video. Now to try a full length 1 hr show. The test was a 1 minute segment.

Xayd
03-07-2005, 11:31 PM
CCE > TMPGENC

You can get a trial version, I think, and pay for a "basic" version for 50 dollars or so last time I checked. Only limiation on the basic version versus the professional version is being able to specify I Frames for chapters, not necessary if all you want is a working DVD of a recording.

It should be noticably faster than TMPGENC with a fast CPU.

http://www.cinemacraft.com

And yes frameserving with dvd2avi is far better than loading the entire source MPEG into your encoder, should also be much faster. You shouldn't have any choppiness or limitations related to filesize if you do it this way. dvd2avi can also extract the audio stream for you.

Read the documentation on this stuff at doom9.org, it's not too hard with their guides (all of which are excellent).