PDA

View Full Version : Pre-announcement for ultrafast (62Mbps) cachecard network drivers

rung
12-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Hardly ever go to TC anymore. Saw this (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212273) post by jafa and though it would be of interest to the folks over here.

Regards,
Rung

fixn278
12-22-2004, 05:20 AM
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40112

SledgeHammer
12-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Maybe he should be working on a CacheCard for Series 2 / HD hardware instead of trying to squeeze a few more cents out of an obsolete product.

SR712
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Maybe there's no PCI edge connector on Series2 units.

alldeadhomiez
12-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Nor is there on the Series1, but at least there's a PCI bus...

Jamie
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
You can get >90Mbsec out of the usb port on a TiVo series 2 with a usb2 host-to-host cable and a sufficiently large MTU: see the soapbox derby thread. So there may be room for a hardware solution that connects through the usb2 port but can get much better throughput than the existing usb2<->eth dongles. A linux box as a bridge from usb2 to eth is one solution you can use now.

usb2 on series 2.5 is still an open problem, as far as I know.

SledgeHammer
12-22-2004, 02:22 PM

The "original" CacheCard was a middle man approach that sat between the hard drive and the IDE connector on the motherboard. No reason why he cant go that way for series 2s.

fixn278
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Maybe he should be working on a CacheCard for Series 2 / HD hardware instead of trying to squeeze a few more cents out of an obsolete product.

Good to see you are keeping an open mind...

What's wrong with trying to improve on a product already sold? Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it won't help all of the others that already paid for it. Also, I don't remember him asking for any money for the new software...

FYI... he hinted at something in the works for S2's.

SledgeHammer
12-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Good to see you are keeping an open mind...

What's wrong with trying to improve on a product already sold? Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it won't help all of the others that already paid for it. Also, I don't remember him asking for any money for the new software...

FYI... he hinted at something in the works for S2's.

Nothing wrong with it at all. I always appreciate when a company enhances something that I have bought and gives it away for free.

FYI, the only DTivo I have in my house is a Series 1 and it has a CacheCard. I did pay for it. I also have a 5 yr old graphic card in my PC because "it does what I want" (superfast 2d performance without a jet airplane fan on it that requires a 500watt power supply). When another video card comes out that "does what I want", I might upgrade. Same thing for the CacheCard. I'm not looking to extend its life at this point, I'm looking to move on to an HR10-250 with a CacheCard.

So I am somewhat dismayed that instead of focusing all his energy on future products, he is spending time enhancing a product that people were perfectly happy with. Will some people be happier with a "burst mode"? I guess. Would A LOT MORE people be happier with a CacheCard for the HR10-250 and other Series 2s? You bet!

Nothing wrong with providing upgrades and enhancements to a sold product mind you, but at some point, you need to move on (ie. Why is Microsoft even giving paid support for Windows NT 4.0?).

fixn278
12-22-2004, 06:30 PM
So I am somewhat dismayed that instead of focusing all his energy on future products, he is spending time enhancing a product that people were perfectly happy with. Will some people be happier with a "burst mode"? I guess. Would A LOT MORE people be happier with a CacheCard for the HR10-250 and other Series 2s? You bet!

Dismayed seems a bit drastic. Let's look at all of the possibilities. Maybe he has something in the works, and as a wise businessman, does not want to promise a solution until he has a working proof-of-concept. Maybe he hasn't figured out a solution yet. Maybe he's very close and wants to wait until he has a working model until announcing it. Those are just a few off the top of my head...

Nothing wrong with providing upgrades and enhancements to a sold product mind you, but at some point, you need to move on (ie. Why is Microsoft even giving paid support for Windows NT 4.0?).

They are providing it because their customers demand it.

Newer does not mean better for all situations.

laserfan
12-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Or maybe jafa is a tivo fan-and-hacker and thought "why not?". He may be doing it for the fun of it!