PDA

View Full Version : New how-to guide: User Friendly Front-End for Streaming Tivo to a standard Windows PC

CySurflex
12-25-2004, 04:57 AM
I created a new "how-to" guide that describes how to set up a PC to be a front-end for streaming TiVo videos, using a remote control and Home Theatre PC software.

Screen shots attached. You can view the how-to guide here (http://www.steinitz.com/tivohowto/howto.html).

There are many improvements that can be made on this idea, but this was the minimum functionality I was looking for!

Hope this helps a few people out like these forums have helped me out.

Added note 1/10/2005: This is not a new way to stream video off your TiVo, it just uses vserver, mfs_ftp and Tyshow/DirectShow. You're going to need to get all of that working first before you can get this working. (sorry). However - the how-to guide does link to all the right places in the requirements section so that you know what you need to get working first.

Added note 2/1/2005: Some people are reporting problems with MyHTPC not associating correctly to the Windows Media Player plug-in. See this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202326&postcount=8) for the fix.

CySurflex
12-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Several people PM'd me about the .asx files not transfering - if you have that problem try running the batch file directly from the command line and copy and paste the output into a post here please.

jbeck22
12-29-2004, 09:34 PM
I have attached an output file that shows the error messages that I received

CySurflex
12-30-2004, 02:58 AM
I have attached an output file that shows the error messages that I received

ah I think the problem is you need to create the c:\tivo\asx subdirectory, because the batch file assumes it exists. Maybe the next version will check for its existance and if not create it...

jbeck22
12-30-2004, 01:43 PM
ah I think the problem is you need to create the c:\tivo\asx subdirectory, because the batch file assumes it exists. Maybe the next version will check for its existance and if not create it...

Ok I got it to work. Well I got the batch file to download the .asx files into the c:\tivo\asx foler. My next question is how to do I get myHTPC to actually play the ASX files? I can see them under the movies tab of myHTPC but when I click on them they don't play.

rbiro
01-02-2005, 09:49 PM
C:\tivo\asx_temp>ftp -s:c:\tivo\ftp\tivoftp_cmds.txt
ftp> ftp>
ftp>
Connected to tivo.

op tivo
220 You are in TiVo Mode. 220 Login isn't necessary. 220 Please hit ENTER at the login/password prompts.
User (tivo:(none)):

Your problem is that you are ftp'ing into the standard ftp port (21) instead of the special mfs_ftp port of 3105

The line should be:

op tivo 3105

rbiro
01-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Several people PM'd me about the .asx files not transfering - if you have that problem try running the batch file directly from the command line and copy and paste the output into a post here please.

I have a problem with the first and last asx file causing errors in mfs_ftp.
I posted my problem in the mfs_ftp thread.
Gettting ASX files (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202307&postcount=748)

rbiro
01-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I think I followed the instructions, but I couldn't get myHTPC to work until I realized that the audio and video sections were not hooked up to any player.
The missing piece is that you need to configure the plugins to play audio and video

configure myHTPC
my Music
Player Tab
Plugin DLL
Look for myHTPC_Winamp2Mp.dll (should be in you myHTPC install directory)

my Videos
Player Tab
Plugin DLL
Look for myHTPC_Wmp9Mp.dll (should be in you myHTPC install directory)

Then press the Apply button at the bottom left of the GUI.

Now should basically work (provided you have vserver/mfs_ftp installed and got the .asx files on the PC.

slorenzen
01-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I can get the batch file to run and i have attached the print screen of what comes up. After it goes to the ftp prompt, the screen goes away and nothing happens next. I can ftp fine to my tivo, so what is my problem?

jbeck22
01-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I can get the batch file to run and i have attached the print screen of what comes up. After it goes to the ftp prompt, the screen goes away and nothing happens next. I can ftp fine to my tivo, so what is my problem?

I had a similar problem and I corrected it by installing the newest version of Mfs_ftp. For some reason if you don't have the correct version you can't connect to the 3105 port. Once I got that it worked perfect.

alextegg
01-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Doh! :(

I saw this, got all excited, installed it and then found I have the same problem as with live streaming.

If my TiVo doesn't have any large files (i.e. >2Gb) on it, this works, if there are any large files if fails when uploading the asx files on the large one :(

Mind you I still don't understand why most other people aren't affected by this problem as everyone must record/watch/stream films ? :eek: :confused:

Alex

CySurflex
01-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Doh! :(

I saw this, got all excited, installed it and then found I have the same problem as with live streaming.

If my TiVo doesn't have any large files (i.e. >2Gb) on it, this works, if there are any large files if fails when uploading the asx files on the large one :(

Mind you I still don't understand why most other people aren't affected by this problem as everyone must record/watch/stream films ? :eek: :confused:

Alex

Yeah I should have made it more clear in the initial post, this is not a new way to stream video... It just puts a prettier front-end to it. It still uses vserver and tyshow, and if those have problems on your setup then they wont work with this! (and see the respective threads here for support with those)

looks like mfs_ftp is not responding so it's probably not installed correctly. See the mfs_ftp thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21915) for help with that. The batch file simply automates mfs_ftp.

I think I followed the instructions, but I couldn't get myHTPC to work until I realized that the audio and video sections were not hooked up to any player.
The missing piece is that you need to configure the plugins to play audio and video

configure myHTPC
my Music
Player Tab
Plugin DLL
Look for myHTPC_Winamp2Mp.dll (should be in you myHTPC install directory)

my Videos
Player Tab
Plugin DLL
Look for myHTPC_Wmp9Mp.dll (should be in you myHTPC install directory)

Then press the Apply button at the bottom left of the GUI.

Now should basically work (provided you have vserver/mfs_ftp installed and got the .asx files on the PC.

all of those are supposed to be installed during the setup process, at least they were for me. Did you skip the "my movies" install step? That is the step thats supposed to create the video folder and associate it with the right plug-in.

alextegg
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
(and see the respective threads here for support with those)

But there is no solution to the >2Gb problem, AFAIK? Anyone else know different?

snoots
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
At least for me it's 4 gig. Anything extracted as a ty file on my XP machine blows up tyshow at 4 gig, I can convert to mpeg and play them ok. Unless they are OTA HDTIVO then only some work.

slorenzen
01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
has anyone seen where you extract the file as a ty file, then convert to mpeg, the words and voices don't match up with the video? It plays fine on the pc, but when i burn it the voices are about 15 to 20 seconds ahead or behind the video. any help would be apreciated.

rbiro
01-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Did you skip the "my movies" install step? That is the step thats supposed to create the video folder and associate it with the right plug-in.

I followed the steps exactly, but the plug-ins were not automatically associated by myHTPC. The files were there, but the configuration screen's drop list was empty.

lordbaron
01-19-2005, 02:25 AM
I have everything working, but when I watch a video on media player, the top of the screen has a noise line dancing across it. Is there a fix for that? I am using a 4.01b DTivo.

Thanks,

LB

osetivo
01-23-2005, 02:34 PM
sorry for being slightly off topic.

I'm trying to use this with Meedio (the successor to MyHTPC) as a front end.

Unfortunately Meedio's internal video player can't read the ".asx" file's embedded url link.

Has anyone developed an importer/method to insert the embedded url into the Meedio database?

thanks

CarlWalters
01-26-2005, 05:58 AM
This is excellent! I downloaded the last free version of myHTPC and followed the install instructions (adding in the extra bit about pointing at the correct dlls) and everything worked a treat. Thanks CySurflex :)

The only thing that I am going to now try and change is the naming of the .asx files. All of those {} {} make the UI a bit clunky looking. I may lash up a script to rename the .asx files into something a bit prettier.

So is Meedio the next step?

alextegg
01-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey all,

I've got this a bit further, it's half working.

It creates the asx files but fails mid way. Those that are transferred ok will play fine in myHTPC and I am very impressed. So I just need to find out what causes the errors.

As you can see it fails when attempting to transfer a recording that was a suggestion about 1/2 way down called "What is Religion". Something about invalid argument. It then bombs out completely at the bottom when the TiVo closes the connection?

Any ideas why this may be failing?

TIA

Alex

C:\TiVo\asx_temp>ftp -s:c:\tivo\ftp\tivoftp_cmds.txt
ftp> op tivo 3105
Connected to tivo.
220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock20} from "192.168.1.101:2840"
User (tivo:(none)):
331 User name okay, need password.

230 Running in TiVo Mode.
ftp> cd asx
250 Directory change successful.
ftp> prompt off
Interactive mode Off .
ftp> lcd c:\TiVo\asx_temp
Local directory now C:\TiVo\asx_temp.
ftp> mget m*
200 Type set to I
200 PORT command successful.
150 About to open data connection.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 296 bytes received in 0.13Seconds 2.37Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 302 bytes received in 0.17Seconds 1.76Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 276 bytes received in 0.16Seconds 1.77Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 305 bytes received in 0.19Seconds 1.63Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 281 bytes received in 0.17Seconds 1.63Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 289 bytes received in 0.20Seconds 1.42Kbytes/sec.
Error opening local file {What Is Religion?}{1999-10-20}{}{03.30 AM Sat Jan 15,
2005}{BBC2}.asx.
> {What Is Religion?}{1999-10-20}{}{03.30 AM Sat Jan 15, 2005}{BBC2}.asx:Invalid
argument
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 279 bytes received in 0.16Seconds 1.79Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 290 bytes received in 0.22Seconds 1.32Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 293 bytes received in 1.28Seconds 0.23Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 301 bytes received in 0.17Seconds 1.75Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 292 bytes received in 0.25Seconds 1.17Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 290 bytes received in 0.24Seconds 1.23Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 301 bytes received in 0.31Seconds 0.96Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 299 bytes received in 0.25Seconds 1.20Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 307 bytes received in 0.28Seconds 1.09Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 280 bytes received in 0.30Seconds 0.94Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 289 bytes received in 0.25Seconds 1.16Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 298 bytes received in 0.16Seconds 1.91Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 293 bytes received in 0.20Seconds 1.44Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 277 bytes received in 0.25Seconds 1.11Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 311 bytes received in 0.27Seconds 1.17Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 281 bytes received in 0.23Seconds 1.20Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 284 bytes received in 0.30Seconds 0.96Kbytes/sec.
Connection closed by remote host.

osetivo
01-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Bet it's the "?" Sorry, no suggestion other than try editing the title via tivoweb

osetivo
02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
For those who want to use Meedio as a front end instead of myHTPC, see this Meedio Thread (http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154507) for a little app that will extract the streaming link from all of your "asx" files produced by this thread's batch file & create a single xml file which can then be imported into the Meedio database using XML2MEE.

To automatically perform the required multistep process, I use a nested Meedio menu structure like this.

>Meedio Main Menu
>>Command Module to run FTP.bat file
>>>>Import Module to run the XML2MEE Import
>>>>>>Media Module to list/play the videos

The way that Meedio works is that you select the top menu item and you never even see the nested modules on screen as they execute.

FYI: The EXE has to be in the same folder as the ftp.bat output files, so I had to alter the batch file to delete the individual asx and xml files, instead of the whole ASX folder.

del *.asx /q
del *.xml /q

It certainly isn't a pretty process, but it does work, until someone creates a native Meedio importer for Tivo.

osetivo
03-26-2005, 01:58 AM
UPDATED (easier) Procedure for using Meedio as a frontend to stream from TiVo.

I'm still using the above mentioned utility to download the "ASX" files from the TiVo afterwhich Meedio runs a library import. The trouble has always been that Meedio can't read the URL embedded in the "ASX" file that MFS_FTP produces, so I decided the edit the creation of the ASX.

All I did was to edit the mfs_ftp.tcl script to comment out the 2 lines shown

set info(txt) "<ASX version = \"3.0\">\n"
append info(txt) "<TITLE>basic ASX file, generated by mfs_ftp</TITLE>\n"
append info(txt) " <ENTRY>\n"
# append info(txt) " <Title>$info($fsid,rec_filename) [expr $info($fsid,StreamFileSize) / 1048576] Meg</TITLE>\n"
# append info(txt) " <AUTHOR>tivo recording</AUTHOR>\n"
append info(txt) " <REF HREF = \"tivo://$localip/$fsid\" />\n"
append info(txt) " </ENTRY>\n"
append info(txt) "</ASX>\n"

slynn
04-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I had lots of problems with mds_ftp crashing :(, so I wrote a Meedio Import Plugin (well, it should be done tonight) that uses TivoWeb to get the data. See my other post here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219049&postcount=6 for more details.

Does anyone know how to get the myHTPC API? I'd like to be able to write my module plugin for both myHTPC and Meedio, but I haven't been able to find the references to the myHTPC API on the Meedio Site.

Scott

rushingjs
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Does this still work? Or has the software updates prevented anything?

slynn
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, mostly.

Yahoo bought the IP from Meedio made some minor changes to it, and appears to have abondoned it. You can still find it for download for free from their site as Yahoo! goTV. There's also an open source version of Meedio called MeediOS. The people there are attempting to write the code from scratch and keep it completely compatible.

The plugin I wrote actually lived for some time until I lost both my backup HD and my main HD in the same week. At that point I abandoned it. The version that is out there doesn't work as the web pages for TivoWeb have changed, and the version I was working on (and lost) was going to be the first one where it was configurable enough to modify it to support changes to TivoWeb's pages.

As for mfs_ftp working with Yahoo Go TV or MeediOS, I don't know.