PDA

View Full Version : Images from emule w/NTFS

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 07:02 PM
When I am getting my 4.01b image from emule do I have to do it with a FAT32 machine or can I do it with NTFS and then burn it with nero as an iso and copy it to my tivo drive with the following command?

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrive/<imagename> /dev/hdc
Also in the image name will I need the file extension also (mfs).

Thanks for your help

pmn1
01-01-2005, 07:23 PM
You will need to have the downloaded image on a non-NTFS (fat32 will work) drive when you go to restore the image on your Tivo drive. You can not put the image file on the tivo drive then extract it onto the same Tivo drive.

Yes you will need to include entire image name with extension.

You may want to look at what the command is doing before you execute it, for a better understanding of whats going on..

PlainBill
01-01-2005, 07:46 PM
When I am getting my 4.01b image from emule do I have to do it with a FAT32 machine or can I do it with NTFS and then burn it with nero as an iso and copy it to my tivo drive with the following command?

<SNIP>

Thanks for your help
Downloading to NTFS, burning to a cd, then restoring from the CD works fine (don't say copying - that's misleading). Note that you will have to mount the cd before you can access the file. Assuming the cdrom is on primary slave:

mkdir /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/<imagename> /dev/hdc

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 07:52 PM
I downloaded the file Tivo-S2-4.0.1b-02-2-xxx.mfs from emule, it is suppose to be the 4.01b image. When I try and execute the following command

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrive/Tivo-S2-4.0.1b-02-2-xxx.mfs /dev/hdc

I get no such file or directory

I changed to cdrom drive and typed in the ls command and nothing appears. If I take the disc back to my other computer and look at it through explorer it shows the file and the it is 162m and I checked and double checked the file name and it is correct. What am I doing wrong?

PlainBill
01-01-2005, 07:55 PM
DID YOU MOUNT THE CD?

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi PlainBill,

When I do that I get an input/output error after the mfsrestore command

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Hum, after the mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom command I got the following response
mount: block device /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read only

if I do the cd /cdrom after the mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom I get sh: cd: /cdrom: input/output error

PlainBill
01-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Hum, after the mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom command I got the following response
mount: block device /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read only

if I do the cd /cdrom after the mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom I get sh: cd: /cdrom: input/output error

The 'write protected' message is normal.

The 'input/output' error is not. I used the same process EXCEPT I used Roxio CD Creator to make a data cd. I don't use Nero.

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Hum, maybe that is the problem, I didn't do a data cd I believe I did an ISO. If not then maybe I should get a copy of Roxio.

pmn1
01-01-2005, 10:37 PM
You want a data cd containing your downloaded image

watchingTV
01-01-2005, 10:41 PM
I recorded the file again as a data file burned again from Nero, this is the only software I have at the moment. I am still getting the input/output error. I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with the computer.

pmn1
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I use Nero and have had no problems. Can you access any other burned cd? Also if you are doing a multi-session cd make it finalized.

watchingTV
01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I have no clue why this started working but while following Haderak's guide between step 7d and 7e I used PlainBills suggestion of mounting the drive again, I repeated this step numerous times and kept getting the input/output error. I even had someone else look at my command before executing it to see if they could see any typos and it all looked fine. Well eventually it worked and I have followed the Haderak's guide to step 27 about using Using Joe or vi edit /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author I am not sure what to do here guess I need to read some more. I am guessing the command to execute is
edit /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

or maybe just /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
to the next step.

PlainBill
01-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I have no clue why this started working but while following Haderak's guide between step 7d and 7e I used PlainBills suggestion of mounting the drive again, I repeated this step numerous times and kept getting the input/output error. I even had someone else look at my command before executing it to see if they could see any typos and it all looked fine. Well eventually it worked and I have followed the Haderak's guide to step 27 about using Using Joe or vi edit /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author I am not sure what to do here guess I need to read some more. I am guessing the command to execute is
edit /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

or maybe just /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
to the next step.

Try vi /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

A guide to Vi can be found at http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugvi.html

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks PlainBill,

I'll look over the guide and give it a shot.

watchingTV
01-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi PlainBill

I know you suggested I use vi but out of curiosity when I ran cp /etc/joerc /var/hack/etc does this mean that I already have Joe installed and if I want to use vi I will need to install it?

Thanks

PlainBill
01-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi PlainBill

I know you suggested I use vi but out of curiosity when I ran cp /etc/joerc /var/hack/etc does this mean that I already have Joe installed and if I want to use vi I will need to install it?

Thanks

All of the Linux boot disks I have used (Knoppix-Lite, TiVoScripts, PTVupgrades LBA-48 ver 3.01) have Vi installed. It's not a great editor, but I can work my way through it. You can use any Linux editor you like, but obviously it would be easier to use one that is on the linux boot cd AND on the TiVo.

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-02-2005, 11:49 PM
That is great, I didn't realize I had already loaded vi, just thought tivoscript loaded Joe. Thanks again for your patience. I'll give her a go.

watchingTV
01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi PlainBill

I entered the following command vi /tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author from /var/hack directory and I get numerous line of what looks like a tilde then I get this comment, "/tivoroot/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author" line 1 of 1 --100%-- according to the guide I am suppose to comment out the two lines under #set the IP Address. I don't see this line anywhere to edit. Not sure where to go from here.

PlainBill
01-04-2005, 04:29 PM
The tildes indicate you are editing a new file.

Try this:

Type: cd /tivoroot/etc/rc.d
Type: ls

Is rc.sysinit.author present?

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Obviously this is where the problem is

tivo:/var/hack$ cd /tivoroot/etc/rc.d
bash: cd: /tivoroot/etc/rc.d: No such file or directory
tivo:/var/hack$

Lookig back over Haderak's guide I do not see where I was suppose to create this directory and load things to it, was this suppose to ave happend while executing tivosripts?

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 04:51 PM
guides...
:rolleyes:

watchingTV
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi again PlainBill,

I just finished reading the whole post again with Haderak's guide and saw you post towards the end stating killhdinitrd is a better approach. I am thinking I should start over and follow Linda's thread. Would you agree with this?

PlainBill
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi again PlainBill,

I just finished reading the whole post again with Haderak's guide and saw you post towards the end stating killhdinitrd is a better approach. I am thinking I should start over and follow Linda's thread. Would you agree with this?

Yes! Haderaks guide is for using TiVoScripts to install 4.x on a non-rid unit. TiVoScripts is outdated, and never worked well with 4.x. Killhdinitrd is much easier, you will know what you are installing, and maybe Linda can answer your questions! :)

PlainBill

watchingTV
01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Back to the drawing board it is then, Thanks again for your help PlainBill.