PDA

View Full Version : TivoWebPlus Questions

jmhenry5150
01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
What is the latest version? I have ver 1.0 - it is the latest and where can I grab the latest from?

How do you create a wishlist? I have looked all around and can't find where to do it...

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

NutKase
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
What is the latest version? I have ver 1.0 - it is the latest and where can I grab the latest from?

Showing results 1 to 25 of 72
Search took 0.20 seconds. Search: Key Word(s): tivowebplus, release

10th thread down. Next time you do it.

Make sure you have your options set to 'show results as posts.'

NutKase

jmhenry5150
01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I used the search tool. (***Showing results 1 to 25 of 72 ***)

Thanks for not answering my question at all.

Ya know, I am a software developer and I understand everything about "use the search tool" - but I am not going to wade through pages and pages just to find a very simple answer to a very simple question.

Jamie
01-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Ya know, I am a software developer and I understand everything about "use the search tool" - but I am not going to wade through pages and pages just to find a very simple answer to a very simple question.Your attitude seems to be "I know how to find the answer, but I'm too lazy to do it myself, will you do it for me?". Not an attitude that is likely to encourage anyone to want to help you.

jmhenry5150
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
That's exactly my attitude - geez...Foget it then, delete my post.

I get so sick of the "Use the search tool and find it yourself", attitude that people have...

When a thread is 72(!) pages long and a person has very quick questions - it ain't gonna kill ANYone to post a simple answer...

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Ya know, I am a software developer and I understand everything about "use the search tool" - but I am not going to wade through pages and pages just to find a very simple answer to a very simple question.
Um... but you have no choice.

I will be linking back to this illustrious quote the next time you have a question.

That's exactly my attitude - geez...
Yech. Digging the hole deeper aren't you?

I get so sick of the "Use the search tool and find it yourself", attitude that people have...
That's OK. I'm sick of the "Give me the answers I'm too lazy to find on my own" attitude that people have.

When a thread is 72(!) pages long and a person has very quick questions - it ain't gonna kill ANYone to post a simple answer...
I'm sorry for your loss. I guess we should apologize that it might take you too long to participate in your hobby. Oh, by the way, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

NutKase
01-04-2005, 12:37 PM
That's exactly my attitude - geez...Foget it then, delete my post.

I didn't tell you to search this time... although my fingers were itching to do it.

I searched for you. Then I had to wade down a whole screen to find your answer.

I did answer your question - "10th thread down"

Thanks for being my latest example (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202687&postcount=43). I couldn't have timed it better.

jmhenry5150
01-04-2005, 12:51 PM
For the last time - you are right, I am wrong...I should of spent 30 minutes finding a simple answer that a fellow enthusiast here at DDB.com could of answered in 30 seconds...

I am so sorry to not hasve used the search tool so extensivly that I would not have bothered anyone else - God forbid people help others...

I have been a member here since 05-31-2003 and I just should have known not to expect a very simple answer - yet I should of expected a flame because I showed laziness...

I asked 2 SIMPLE questions...

1. Learn to search - DONE.
2. Search - DONE.
3. Learn to read - DONE. I gave up after not seeing it after about 10 mins - SORRY.
4. Read - DONE.
5. When the really have a problem, form a coherent question - NO PROBLEM HERE - JUST A QUESTION.
6. Post the question in a thread already started for their issue or a similar issue - DIDN'T WANT TO CLUTTER AN ALREADY EXHAUSTED THREAD.
7. Start a new thread if necessary - DONE - GOT FLAMED.

I give up around here - I will stick to the extraction thread that I subscribe to - where guys are very helpful (including me) and not venture out to the rest of your DDB world...

Jamie
01-04-2005, 12:57 PM
For the last time - you are right, I am wrong...I should of spent 30 minutes finding a simple answer that a fellow enthusiast here at DDB.com could of answered in 30 seconds...If it really takes you 30 minutes to find the answer you are looking for, you might want to revisit the "learn to search" step. It seems clear you are doing something wrong at this step.
7. Start a new thread if necessary - DONE - GOT FLAMED.NutKase gave you a perfectly reasonable answer -- not a flame. You flamed him before anyone flamed you.

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 01:00 PM
For the last time - you are right, I am wrong...I should of spent 30 minutes finding a simple answer that a fellow enthusiast here at DDB.com could of answered in 30 seconds...
The enthusiasts are on this (http://www.tivocommunity.com) forum. They will be happy to answer all your questions. DDB is for the hobbyist.

alldeadhomiez
01-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Hints for getting better search results:

When searching for information about a specific problem, view results by post, and tweak your choice of keywords until you get a reasonable number of results. If you still get too many redundant posts, consider excluding the Newbie forum. I found "view results by post" very useful, so I clicked on "save search preferences" on the Search page so that it is set by default on my account.

When searching for "official" information or releases of a specific project, use one or more of the following options: search thread titles only, view results by thread, or limit search to the files, support, and development forums (exclude the Newbie forum). Ignore the results that don't look "official," and aim for threads that say: RELEASE, SUPPORT, DEVELOPMENT, etc.

Example: searching for "superpatch" shows you 175 threads. Searching thread titles only outside the Newbie forum produces only 9 threads, many of which are relevant.

Also, sorting by date, ascending, helps you pinpoint the first mention of a topic (and thus the early/release information, when appropriate). This is especially useful when dealing with topics or projects that originated on DDB. Example: searching for "mfs_ftp" with the default settings will yield hundreds of results. Searching for "mfs_ftp", by posts, sorted by date in ascending order, leads you directly to the thread in which it was announced and is supported.

rocketman24
01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
With all do respect, Jaime, as you've been very helpful to me... jmhenry5150 actually does have a good point. I consider myself the king of search... but this particular forum is not well geared for that because so many threads run WAY WAY too long and quickly get off point. Heck, sometimes you have to go to post 100 to find the latest version of software.

I think it would be more constructive for a person like jm to create a new thread (like he did) where the title specifically addresses a question he has... so that when I do my search I can read it and get my answer.

If someone is asking a question and it's obvious that they didn't do any homework, then simply... don't reply. Let someone who is willing to help reply.

Think of this forum as an archive if information. The better the information is stored, the easier it is to find and the less often someone will have to ask the same question.

BTW... This week I asked a question about how to get to the latest version of a piece of software... and twice it was mod deleted. No explanation was given as to why it was deleted... nor did I see any rules that were broken.

jmhenry5150
01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks rocketman24...

I am glad someone sees my point...

If I had posted the question - "How do I backup my TiVo - can someone point me in the right direction?" or "I want to extract a show and burn it to DVD, can this be done?" - I would tend to agree with someone being lazy...but still...

Mabye I jumped the gun, and for that I'm sorry - but I DO get sick of alot of this stuff, heck, when it's supposed to be a DISCUSSION forum...

Where or where are the helpful people in this world?

rocketman24
01-04-2005, 03:00 PM
No problem... but next time, make sure that your Post title is more specific... or edit it now. "TivowebPlus.... latest version location?"

alldeadhomiez
01-04-2005, 03:00 PM
I think it would be more constructive for a person like jm to create a new thread (like he did) where the title specifically addresses a question he has... so that when I do my search I can read it and get my answer.

No, if everybody did that, then your search would return ten pages of threads entitled "TivoWebPlus Questions." Or "mfs_ftp problem." Or "HMO don't work."

Keep the support questions in the appropriate threads. That is what they are there for. Perhaps more importantly, read the support threads before you post your question. Most of your questions have already been answered - usually several times over.

BTW... This week I asked a question about how to get to the latest version of a piece of software... and twice it was mod deleted. No explanation was given as to why it was deleted... nor did I see any rules that were broken.

You posted two messages in the development forums asking what the latest version of mfs_ftp is. If you don't know why that was a problem, reread the stickies in the Newbie forum.

Edit:

The "helpful people in this world" posted a whole slew of hacks for you to play with, absolutely free of charge. If you don't like their rules, find another hobby and enjoy your stock TiVo.

rocketman24
01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
No, if everybody did that, then your search would return ten pages of threads entitled "TivoWebPlus Questions." Or "mfs_ftp problem." Or "HMO don't work."
That's true... that's why I think people should be more specific on their titles.

You posted two messages in the development forums asking what the latest version of mfs_ftp is. If you don't know why that was a problem, reread the stickies in the Newbie forum.

So my problem was the Forum location or my question? There are a few flavors of mfs_ftp out there and frankly, I could't figure out which one I should use.

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Here (http://www.tivocommunity.com)

Seattle206
01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Ya what I did was make a Search button in opera linked for the search button here that way I can quickly search with 1 button press :) :) :)

alldeadhomiez
01-04-2005, 03:39 PM
So my problem was the Forum location or my question? There are a few flavors of mfs_ftp out there and frankly, I could't figure out which one I should use.

What sorts of posts does one expect to see in a Development forum?

Montaņo
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Here (http://www.tivocommunity.com)

Good to see you in better spirits JJ. I was starting to worry !!!

rocketman24
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
What sorts of posts does one expect to see in a Development forum?
Well... an obvious oversite on my part.

Is it customary here to just whack a post like that?

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Well... an obvious oversite on my part.

Is it customary here to just whack a post like that?

Single posts are often moved to the appropriate forum. Occasionally, posts are so egregious, that it is quicker and more decisive to just delete them.

It is usually up to the individual moderator or administrator.

Personally, I summarily delete posts when they violate the specific forum descriptions. Posts that are better suited for another forum get moved.

In the case of the Development Forums, I would most likely have deleted your post (though I'm not sure if I did or not), due to the forum description that you should have read on your way in

Development and technical discussion specific to all series 2 units, including standalone, DVD combo, and direcTiVo units. NO SUPPORT REQUESTS!! NO DTV HACKING TALK

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, after a more thorough review of this thread, I now see it has NO useful information whatsoever, except for NutKase's orignal response....

Welcome to the Sewer

Jamie
01-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, after a more thorough review of this thread, I now see it has NO useful information whatsoever, except for NutKase's orignal response....The one other useful thing in this thread was ADH's "Hints for getting better search results". That should be a sticky somewhere.

JJBliss
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The one other useful thing in this thread was ADH's "Hints for getting better search results". That should be a sticky somewhere.

I'll take care of that now.

nsysblh
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Single posts are often moved to the appropriate forum. Occasionally, posts are so egregious, that it is quicker and more decisive to just delete them.

It is usually up to the individual moderator or administrator.

Personally, I summarily delete posts when they violate the specific forum descriptions. Posts that are better suited for another forum get moved.

In the case of the Development Forums, I would most likely have deleted your post (though I'm not sure if I did or not), due to the forum description that you should have read on your way in

Interestingly, the moderators have search capability for deleted posts. So, you may find yourself being asked questions about a post you made that was summarily deleted.