PDA

View Full Version : Prevent software upgrades?

JoshFink
01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Ok, I've got my Tivo hacked and everything seems to work great. There is a ton of great information on these boards.

One thing that concerns me that I can't find the answer for though is what happens when Tivo sends down a software upgrade. From what I've read it looks like it will take out all of my hacks.

How do I prevent a software upgrade on my tivo? Both are Series 1 DirecTivo's.

Thanks for the help

Josh

Montaņo
01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Exactly how did you hack your tivo?

JoshFink
01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Used the instructions from http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html

Josh

propman07
01-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Josh-

I am no expert, but I can tell you what I am doing, which seems to work. I know that if my information isn't correct, someone here with more knowledge will be more than happy to correct me.

Try to do a search for nosdd. It's a script that removes the recordings in the To Do list with the title "Tivo Service Data". I run it (per the instructions) via cron. You may need to install cron on your system as well. Good luck, and the search button is your friend.

JoshFink
01-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the post. You have no idea how much i've been reading. i'm actually getting yelled at by my girlfriend for spending so much time reading in front of the computer.. Go figure.. :)

Anyways, I'll check it out. I've got 95% of the info I need (I hope), I'm just looking to make sure i have all of my bases covered.

Josh

hayreass
01-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Search around for upgradesoftware=false.
One method is to get that added to your bootpage parameters.

JoshFink
01-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I was just looking into that as a matter of fact and got sidetracked on six other threads...

I'm still doing the searching on it. It looks like upgradesoftware=false will still download the updates but just not install them. Sound about right? need more info so it was a basic understanding..

Back to reading (I really should be watching Alias and doing this another time though.. :) )

Thanks

Josh

propman07
01-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Josh-

Yes, I believe that the upgradesoftware=false will work. If I understand it correctly, it will download the software, but not install it. The method that I am using will never download the software in the first place, so I think that it is a little safer. I guess the choice would be up to you...

JoshFink
01-06-2005, 12:11 AM
From what I can find, the nosdd is from 2002. Is it still valid? I can't seem to find anything in any of the guides about it.

Anywhere to point me to?

Thanks

Josh

propman07
01-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Josh-

Here is what I found...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14332&highlight=nosdd.tcl

The nosdd.zip file includes a readme on how to set it up. I am not sure what methods others are using, but this one has been working for me. (knocking on wood)

JoshFink
01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks.. That's the one I just read.. :) Still wondering if its still valid for Series 1 DTivo's or what. I'm not doubting you, i'm just trying to be up on the latest.

Josh

propman07
01-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Josh-

I'm running it on two Series 1 DTivos (Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR-6000) with no issues. I got tired of pulling my drives every time DTV sent an upgrade. Now, if I happen to see one through this board that I want (I will be shocked if DTV sends ANY more updates for the Series 1 DTivos), I can get it when I want to.

Good luck.

JoshFink
01-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Ok, well that's good to know. Thank you.. Off to install more items.

Thanks for all the help and putting up with my questions...

Josh