PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit commercials?



RedSunshine
01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm noticing that Premiere Pro is recognizing my files as a aspect ratio of 1:1 and not 4:3. I extract the ty using TyTool and then convert it to MPEG using vsplit. If I analyze the file using BitRate Viewer, it detects the file as 544x480 with a DAR of 4:3. However Premiere Pro 1.5 insists on detecting this as 1:1.

For all that use Premiere Pro to slice up their MPEGs, how do you get around this?

THardie
01-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Yup, I got this too. Just right click on the clip, select "Re-interpret footage", and select the correct aspect ratio. It doesn't recompress or anything. Should fix your issue...

RedSunshine
01-06-2005, 08:25 PM
That did it! Thanks so much.

If you have time for another Premiere training question:

If I wanted to import my 544x480 clip into premiere, how do I have premiere resize the clip to 720x480 before I transcode the clip into a new mpeg without commercials? I would think I would create my project using a 544x480 resolution, but when I export my clip, it's here I choose the new resolution settings. Am I correct here.

Man, I need to get a book on Premiere Pro. My wife works at Barnes & Nobel; I bet I may just be able to pick one up there :)

captain_video
01-07-2005, 09:10 AM
You really don't want to have to transcode the entire video clip to change the resolution. It will degrade the image and take forever to accomplish. The easiest thing to do is use DVD Patcher to patch the 1st video header to 720x480. This will fool the program you're importing the clip into such that it thinks it the entire clip is at 720x480. I've never used it with an editing tool but it's common practice to use this method when importing non-standard video clips into a DVD authoring program.

When you've done your edits and completed compiling the DVD you can change it back to it's original resolution. You may have to repatch the entire file if the clip is part of a muliple clip compilation and the header is buried somwhere inside a VOB file containing other clips. DVD Patcher can do this for you and it doesn't take all that long. If you don't repatch the header only the first header will play correctly since the DVD player will be trying to display it as 720x480 when it's really 544x480 so the rest of the video will look wrong as a result.

FYI - You may want to take a look at VideoReDo for editing ty mpegs. It works great for frame-accurate edits on non-standard mpegs from Tivos and Dish PVRs and doesn't produce any of the pixelisation at cut points that TyTools is sometimes prone to do. I just got finished watching the EarthSea mini-series that I had recorded and edited a while back using VideoReDo and there wasn't a bad edit anywhere in the entire series (well, maybe one misplaced cut but that was my fault). Every cut was completely seamless. Previous frame-accurate edits using GOPEditor caused annoying glitches at some of the cut points.

RedSunshine
01-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the great info captain_video. I'm definitely going to take a look at VideoReDo. I'm still trying several different work flows and I'm trying to come up with one that is best for me. Using VideoReDo and DVD Patcher may be the way to go, I just need to try it out.

I want to create my DVD collection mainly for me, but I want my final DVD to also be the most compatible just in case my parents or friends ever want to borrow one of my DVDs. Just because my Pioneer DVD player works, I cannot guarantee my parents' will play the non-standard resolution, but I'm sure you understand all that :)

Transcoding the entire clip has not actually been too bad since I got a new system...A few years ago, I got my TiVo and before ever plugging it in I hacked it and expanded the hard drives. However, my 500 MHz machine took sooo long to actually get anything converted for archive, I abandoned the hobby until I got a new system. Working with video on a system that slow was making video editing lose its luster. Well now I have a dual Opteron system and I can say I'm glad I want with Opteron rather than Pentium. AMD has really done well and I think more and more hardcore Intel fans will start to convert. Just wait for dual-core CPU's to hit the market...

Anyway, with the new system, I can load up my mpeg in Premiere, make my edits, and export the timeline using a frameserver. Then using Cinema Craft, I can encode at 1.7 times the speed of the clip, so really, it's not too bad when 30 minutes shows only take 17 minutes to process :) I'm just trying to determine if all that work is entirely necessary.

Once I get the mpeg workflow done, I'm going to work on converting my stuff to divx at a low resolution for my PocketPC....who need a portable DVD player anymore. I can fit a whole season of my favorite show on a few sd cards and watch reel after reel with no movable parts. Man, I love this hobby again :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR.