PDA

View Full Version : Indications of successfully booting killhdinitrd'd kernel? (S2-SA)

StandBy
01-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I've got a series 2.0 stand-alone. Downloaded a fresh 4.0.1a and killhdinitrd'd it. dd'd it out to the drive. Made an executable rc.sysint.author with "/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash" in it. Renamed /etc/netfilter-enable.

TiVo boots fine, but I can't telnet to it.

Before I build a cable to troubleshoot...

Suppose I didn't dd (or boot?) the kernel correctly. Would TiVo wipe out the files on the TiVo drive that I added? I'm looking for some indication that I've at least got these first few steps right.

I'm using the same 'ole wireless lan TiVo has been using for a month. I can ping the TiVo, but can't telnet.

Thanks in advance...

PlainBill
01-06-2005, 05:37 AM
I've got a series 2.0 stand-alone. Downloaded a fresh 4.0.1a and killhdinitrd'd it. dd'd it out to the drive. Made an executable rc.sysint.author with "/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash" in it. Renamed /etc/netfilter-enable.

TiVo boots fine, but I can't telnet to it.

Before I build a cable to troubleshoot...

Suppose I didn't dd (or boot?) the kernel correctly. Would TiVo wipe out the files on the TiVo drive that I added? I'm looking for some indication that I've at least got these first few steps right.

I'm using the same 'ole wireless lan TiVo has been using for a month. I can ping the TiVo, but can't telnet.

Thanks in advance...

Did you bootpage -p /dev/hdx to determine the active partition set? If you failed to write the killhdinitrd kernel to the proper boot partition, the TiVo would have wiped the files. I'm used to seeing the ping but no telnet problem when someone fails to disable netfilter; I see you took care of that.

I've been beating the serial cable drum very strongly for the past year. A lot of things must be working properly to get telnet working, bash is much easier. For $5.00 of parts you can SEE what is happening, not just guess. (Of course, seeing one's changes wiped out in real time by initrd isn't exactly a pleasure - not that I ever made THAT mistake.)

PlainBill

StandBy
01-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Did you bootpage -p /dev/hdx to determine the active partition set?

Yep.

seeing one's changes wiped out in real time by initrd isn't exactly a pleasure

Does initrd permanently wipe out changes? I pulled the drive and put it back in my PC and my changes were still there.

I guess I scrounge my cable crate tonight...

Thanks for the reply

hayreass
01-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Does initrd permanently wipe out changes? I pulled the drive and put it back in my PC and my changes were still there.

My experience from doing killhdinitrd says yes.
I had to rebuild 3 times before I got things to stick.
I'd reboot, not get my hack to work, re-install to PC, and see that all the files I had added were gone, and needed to be re-installed.

ronrico51
01-10-2005, 12:53 AM
I have tried very hard not to have to write this post. I have a similar problem to guardianx. I have a Series2 SA Tivo, which I hacked with Sleeper about a year ago. It has worked well for me, I use some of the basic hacks, including Tytools, Mfs_ftp, TivowebPlus, bufferhack, etc. When Tivo made HMO universally available, I could not activate it because I could not allow software upgrades. So, I changed my bootpage to softwareupgrade=true. This wiped out my hacks, which was ok, since I wanted to use killhdinitrd instead. I then had a no-hacked Tivo, but HMO was active. I then downloaded the PTV kernels, and installed 4.0.1a into hda6, my boot partition. I read high and low here, but could not get a bash prompt no matter what I tried, so I ran just the hack part of sleeper, after which I had the bash prompt again. I renstalled all my favorite hacks, and all is well.
Now, I would like to get deeper into what is really going on, and not use sleeper. I want to use the backported usb drivers, but don't want to wreck my good drive, my wife would kill me. So, I am trying to set up another drive from scratch. I mfsrestored my original backup to a new drive, and copied the killhdinitrd kernel to it. Now I'm stuck trying to get a bash prompt, have tried both the serial cable and the network route. On my serial cable I get "what is password", and in telnet I get nothing, can't connect. My rc.sysinit.author is

#!/bin/bash
tnlited 23 -login &

I have tried renaming the netfilter-enable file, no help there. What am I missing here? I'm pretty sure the killhdinitrd is working, since my changes are all still there after restarting the Tivo.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

PlainBill
01-10-2005, 11:20 AM
I have tried very hard not to have to write this post. <SNIP>

#!/bin/bash
tnlited 23 -login &

I have tried renaming the netfilter-enable file, no help there. What am I missing here? I'm pretty sure the killhdinitrd is working, since my changes are all still there after restarting the Tivo.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Suggestions: Install AlphaWolf's Series 2 utilities if you haven't already done so.

Sleeper's TiVoScripts leaves you with a commented rc.sysinit.author - study it.

SA software includes network drivers; configure them from the phone / network setup menu.

You must enable serial bash in rc.sysinit.author - see above about TiVoScripts.

The error message occurs when you hit enter too soon.

PlainBill

ronrico51
01-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks for your info PlainBill. A typo was all that kept telnet from working. However, serial bash still did not work. I finally discovered the problem. When I typed

bootpage -p /dev/hda
root=/dev/hda7

However, when I entered
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

and thus updated my bootpage, serial output was enabled, now all is well. I appreciate your help.