PDA

View Full Version : Running 4.0.1b on a Samsung S4040R??

udhorky
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I am currently running 3.1.1c on my Samsung S4040R and it is working great but I am looking to get versoin 4.X running so I can use HMO.

I believe I have done much of my homework but I would like to confirm my steps with the experts on this board...... You know if the tivo is down too long the wife gets pissed :-)

So these are the steps I have come up with thus far.
1)Download the loopsets and the 4.01b off of Emule.
2)Download a stock (virgin, as in no killhdinitrd) 3.1.1c kernel and a stock 3.1.5 dssappAV (since the samsung is a RID unit)....
3)Transfer the slices to my Tivo via ftp and extract them into /var/packages.
4)dbload *.slice
5)edit the /tvbin/installSw.itcl replace 'restart' in the software install section with 'exit 0'
6)installSw.itcl 4.0.1b-01-2-240 and watch for what my new root drive is.
7)mkdir /tivo and mount /dev/hdaX (X being my new root drive so either 4 or 7).
8)Place Busybox, my network driver, sysconfi.init, and the HMO files on the new partition which is mounted on /tivo.
9)Transfer my virgin 3.1.1c kernal and killhdinitrd it.
10)dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdaX (X being the new root so either 3 or 6).
11)dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdaX (X being the new root so either 3 or 6).
12) Since it is a RID unit replace the /tvbin/dssapp file with the one downloaded off of emule.
13)Reboot and PRAY!

Please let me know if you believe any of my steps are wrong or if I am missing any steps....

Thanks guys........

01-06-2005, 01:51 PM
You have to edit installSw to remove the "sanity" check since you're technically downgrading to an older operating system. AW's thread will give you the command.

Since you have a RID you should read Riley's thread

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354

Also read the 4.0 RID thread.

You're missing some steps.

udhorky
01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
You have to edit installSw to remove the "sanity" check since you're technically downgrading to an older operating system. AW's thread will give you the command.

Since you have a RID you should read Riley's thread

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354

Also read the 4.0 RID thread.

You're missing some steps.

Alirght so I have to remove the ! from the sanity check command.. What else am I missing? I am thinking I also need to do the following steps.. Please confirm!

3) place the init-framework, monte and lba48 uma6 kernel file(s) into the tivo's root partition in these locations

/test.conf
/init/001_bash.init
/init/010_lba48.init
/init/011_uma6fix.init
/init/kmonte.o
/init/monte
/init/vmlinux.px (rename lba48_2.4.18.px)
/init/uma6fix.o
/init/uma6fix_license.txt

rename /etc/netfilter-enable to something like /etc/orig.netfilter-enable.bak to enable networking

That should be it correct????

By the way, I have read the posts you mentioned....

JohnSorTivo
01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Basically, to re-iterate what newbie has just stated. Based on your steps, one would have to assume your unit is already hacked and running 3.1.1c, otherwise, there's no way for you to ftp the 4.x slices and dbload them, etc. You'd have to at least "minimally" hack your system to complete this step otherwise.

After successfully upgrading your unit using slices, you can then follow the instructions as referenced by newbie above, for installing 4.x on a RID unit, just skip the first step for restoring an image to your system, since you've already done this by virtue of your upgrade via slices.

The most glaring item you are missing is that 4.x on RID requires you to monte into a custom kernel designed to enable 4.x to run on a RID unit (Uma6 BORD patch). The 4.x+RID thread points this out, which is why it is a good idea to reference this thread before continuing.

Also, you may find this thread helpful as well:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39680

EDIT: I see that as I was typing this (it took awhile), you replied, and what you have referenced is the critical step I was alluding to, which enables the 'monte' process to take place. Again, though, break your steps into 2 sequences. First, complete the upgrade via slices, and after this has successfully completed, proceed with the 4.x+RID steps (minus the image restore).

udhorky
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Alright well I am 99% sure I am on the right track.. I think I am going to get another hard drive to perform the upgrade on... My current drive is working so well I dont want to give it up if I have any problems. Thanks for the help guys.. I will post how it turns out when I have time to perform the upgrade.

Thanks,

01-06-2005, 02:45 PM
How is your system currently hacked? If you used killhdintrid you're OK but if you current system is monted/sleepered you're probably using both partition pairs and you have to change your bootpage so your software goes in the right partitions.

There are a couple of threads that goes through the steps required.

I wouldn't start to do this unless I had enought time allocated to pull your drive. A typing error or missed step and your hard drive has to go to your PC.

JohnSorTivo
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
My current drive is working so well I dont want to give it up if I have any problems.So then, I'm assuming you are going to do a complete 'dd' of your existing drive, place the new drive back in your Tivo, and upgrade it with the slice files? And, one must assume you are doing all of this to preserve your existing recordings, season passes, etc. Otherwise, if you are starting with a new drive, you might as well just restore from an image and proceed as normal...

Also, in looking over your steps in your first post:

9)Transfer my virgin 3.1.1c kernal and killhdinitrd it.Be aware that the 'killhdinitrd' executable is compiled to be run on your PC running Linux, not on your Tivo.

email68
01-06-2005, 04:13 PM
10)dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdaX (X being the new root so either 3 or 6).

What does this step do?

-email68

JohnSorTivo
01-06-2005, 04:19 PM
What does this step do?Extra precaution. Nulls out the partition before writing to it.

udhorky
01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I bought a new HD on the way home from work and have been working on getting this thing going but I am having NO luck.. here are my steps..

1) CDROM is /dev/hdd and drive is /dev/hdc
2) Booted with LBA48 CD from PTVupgrade
3) Restored TCD240040 image(ptvupgrade) to Disk using PTVbake-special.
3) Ran mfsadd -x /dev/hdc (Adds 140 hours).
4) umount -f -a -r
5)halt
6)Rebooted LBA48 CD.
7)Attempt to mount /dev/hdc4 and /dev/hdc7.....

I try to mount both /dev/hdc4 and /dev/hdc7 and I get errors on BOTH! I have no way to mount either of these disks.
the exact error is:
/dev/hdc7: Success
mount: you must specify the filesystem type.
I have also tried mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc4 /tivo4 and recieve an error as well!

On another note I tried to:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc3
and I get a disk is full error!.....

WTF.. I have no idea what I am going wrong.. Any ideas???

BTW I am going two guides:
Riley's Guide: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354
and
Newbie Guide:http://nh-gym.com/4xrid.htm

Any help experts???
Thanks

BTW, I have also tried the TCD240080 image but I have the same result.

udhorky
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Seems like my computer was freaking out.... Problem resolved.