PDA

View Full Version : i am a moron

aet
01-06-2005, 03:19 PM
so i am a complete moron when it comes to hacking tivo. i hate all of the "howto" documents on here because they aren't cut and dry like i need them. I need step by step instructions to enable the usb ports on my samsung s4040r directivo so i can update via the web. i am thinking about switching over to vonage and i need this so it updates. please help. i would like specific steps to doing this not a link to a how to document. thanks in advance.

AhoyMatey
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
so i am a complete moron when it comes to hacking tivo. i hate all of the "howto" documents on here because they aren't cut and dry like i need them. I need step by step instructions to enable the usb ports on my samsung s4040r directivo so i can update via the web. i am thinking about switching over to vonage and i need this so it updates. please help. i would like specific steps to doing this not a link to a how to document. thanks in advance.
I've heard from a few people that dialup through vonage is not a problem anymore.

You don't get (or need) any updates via the web on a dtivo.

From the tone of your post, you shouldn't even think about hacking your tivo. It takes a lot of reading and quite a bit of effort...

aet
01-06-2005, 04:28 PM
actually i am a very technical person, i am a computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company. i just dont want to do all of the searching around. it seems like people are freaks on this board and actually enjoy rummeging through tons of posts to find their answer. i want a clear cut and dry manner to hack my tivo for usb networking. if it is impossible to get it here. let me know and i will politely bow out...but if it is the case, that is pretty sad that people dont understand the need for easy to read howto documents.

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 04:36 PM
The worst part of it is that I think the people THINK they are helping you...they post these links and think they apply, but the links they give often apply to old hardware when you have the newest or don't work if this or that isn't installed first....and so many of them are way more information than you need instead of simple steps to complete something....just frustrating....more than anything.

fixn278
01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
actually i am a very technical person, i am a computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company. i just dont want to do all of the searching around. it seems like people are freaks on this board and actually enjoy rummeging through tons of posts to find their answer. i want a clear cut and dry manner to hack my tivo for usb networking. if it is impossible to get it here. let me know and i will politely bow out...but if it is the case, that is pretty sad that people dont understand the need for easy to read howto documents.

1 - You were told that all the information you need is here if you are willing to look for it. Hundreds, maybe thousands of others manage to hack their Tivos without a guide that meets your approval.

2 - You were told your configuration, while unsupported in the past, currently is known to work and hacking is not necessary.

To sum it up, it's impossible to get exactly what you want here with zero effort.

Have a nice day.

xpanmanx
01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
AllDeadHomiez: this post oughtta be stickied as a perfect example of how to forever screw the pooch when it comes to getting useful advice out of this community. :eek:

To the OP: this community encourages well-informed posters to ask questions about specific issues.

For your consideration:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

AhoyMatey
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
aet, just a bit of additional advice.

There are two keys on the keyboard labelled "Shift" and they might even have a drawing of an up arrow on them. Play with them, and see if, as a "computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company", you can figure out what they do.

guardianx
01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
well mister "i'm smart network admin for a big company at the age of 24 " if ur so smart u can figure out the purpose of stickies and trust me if u want to be spoon feed it is not going to happen... stfu with ur whinning and read or give up.

aet
01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
i understand about the vonage thing, and i thank you for that. i was just explaining where i was coming from so hopefully someone would give me a straight answer, but this is exactly what i am talking about.

i post frequently on linuxquestions.org and that is a perfect example of a forum where people actually care about everyones questions. most people there know TONS about linux and if ANYONE goes on there and asks for the most menial thing, they always give you a straight answer. (that and the fact that linux is a little more complicated than TiVo.) You could go on there and post "i dont know how to use my mouse", and someone would reply without giving you lip or just forwarding you to another post. i dont understand why this board is so useless...or helpful like you call it. Sure there is a TON of freaking info on this site, but what good is it if it takes you a full week to trudge through all of it to find a little tinge of info that you MIGHT need to do what you are asking and then realize that it is antiquated and you will screw up your tivo if you do it that way. all i am asking for is a little quick howto to explain. thanks for all the great help in advance.

xpanmanx
01-06-2005, 04:52 PM
aet, just a bit of additional advice.

There are two keys on the keyboard labelled "Shift" and they might even have a drawing of an up arrow on them. Play with them, and see if, as a "computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company", you can figure out what they do.
ZOMG joo bring teh pwnz!!1! :p

JohnSorTivo
01-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Bottom line, simply show you've made an effort, and that you've done a bit of research on your own, and then, post specfic questions that you may need clarification on and/or assistance in understanding.

Doing so, you will find plenty of people here willing to help you out. But, nobody is going to spoon feed you all the answers you need, step-by-step. First, you'll learn nothing and not be able to "support" you own hacks when problems arise (and they will), and second, nobody here has the time nor the desire to hold you hand in such a manner.

If you truly are a "very technical" person, then I find it hard to believe the various newbie guides you've perused don't provide the "push" you need to get you started.

captain_video
01-06-2005, 04:53 PM
There's a thread on this very subject in the General Tivo Discussions forum. I recommend you read through it (it's not a big one) to see why a step-by-step guide is not necessarily a good thing. The biggest problem with the type of guide you're asking for is that they don't teach anything about the whys and wherefores of the hacks being installed. The end result is that the wannabe hacker has no idea what went wrong with a particular hack when something doesn't work as it should.

This is a hacker forum, not a spoonfeeding kindergarten. If you want to learn how to hack your Tivo then we'll be glad to help you with any problems you might have while learning the process. Being a technical person I'm sure you can understand the need for background knowledge and training before trying to do anything of a technical nature.

Granted, hacking info can sometimes be difficult to locate in these forums and will require a considerable investment of time on your part. The end result will be that you will know what you are doing and have a much better chance of fixing any problems on your own if and when a problem occurs. Everyone else here that has successfully hacked their Tivos went through the same process so why should you be any different. If it seems like too much trouble then perhaps you should reconsider hacking your Tivo and just watch some TV instead.

Not trying to flame you for your inquiry, just trying to "keep it real."

For the rest of you guys that chimed in, learn how to spell and use punctuation and chill on the flaming. This isn't a text messaging center so kindly speak the same language as the rest of us. A little forum etiquette goes a long way, if you get my drift. ;)

aet
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM
ok, i will use some CAPS this time. So I have done some research. I just cant figure out what tools to use. There are so many ISOs that I just get confused. Plus there is the fact that my tivo is a DirecTivo and it has a RID chip. I just dont know how to get around that stuff. I have already put a larger drive in the TiVo and did all that mess, but it took me weeks to compile info on that, i almost gave up. I just hate wasting my time looking at shit that wont help me.

hope you like the caps lock.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Everyone else here that has successfully hacked their Tivos went through the same process so why should you be any different.

that is like saying "this is a crappy forum that doesn't give any straight answers to anyone...but that is the way it has always been so why improve on it."

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I love people who say others are dumb but continuously type the word "the" "teh." It also appears that those same people can't spell.

I personally don't understand why you would have a forum where you can't leverage off the knowledge of others. I've found it very difficult also. Some of the threads help, but there is so much conflicting information that sometimes if you can't get a specific answer you get nowhere. I spent an entire weekend trying to figure out how to update the kernel on my Series 2 Tivo for LBA48 support but was never confident enough in any of the information to try it. It's not that there wasn't enough information....there was too much information regarding and linking to things that didn't apply. It's almost like I need an additional Tivo sitting around to monkey with prior to trying it on my real Tivo.

Perhaps I'm just not daring enough and willing to totally F up my equipment to be a "Tivo hacker." But that's my point...if others have done it successfully, and others have all this great knowledge, help some people out with some specifics.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
exactly...that is all i'm askin' for.

JohnSorTivo
01-06-2005, 05:15 PM
if others have done it successfully, and others have all this great knowledge, help some people out with some specifics.That's the whole point. Ask a specific question and you'll get a specfic answer.

What is specific about:

I need step by step instructions to enable the usb ports on my samsung s4040r directivo...

aet
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM
if i knew specifics about how to enable my USB ports so i could network, i would do it myself. I have no specifics. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT.

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
AllDeadHomiez: this post oughtta be stickied as a perfect example of how to forever screw the pooch when it comes to getting useful advice out of this community. :eek:

What useful advice? I'm still looking.....s t i l l l o o k i n g. . . s t i l l l o o k i n g . . . s t i l l l o o k i n g. . . . s t i l l l o o k i n g

01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Although I wouldn't call you a moron your request doesn't make any sense. You want to hack your tivo to activate your USB ports so you can download new software which will then turn your ports back off. People who hack their tivo's to get features like HMO and extraction also hack the to PREVENT future software updates.

That said there are a couple of threads on hacking a RID receiver as well as a guide.

If all you want to is make phone calls without using a phone line go to the underground section of TTC and either search for or post a question about using the serial port and PPP.

AlphaWolf
01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
actually i am a very technical person, i am a computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company.

That doesn't mean anything honestly. I started hacking these things at 20 when I was fresh out of the Army and hadn't touched a computer in a few years.

What it takes is the ability to research. Tivo hacking is changing all the time so howto guides easily become useless about two weeks after they are published, that is why they don't really exist. Several people have tried to become "heroes" by releasing them, but they have all eventually come to the same conclusion even though prior to writing it they vehemently disagreed and felt the same way you currently do.

Some people can research better than others, and thats where the difference is. It took me about two days of figuring things out before I had it all down, and this was even back in the day when we really knew less about tivos than we now know, and adding network functionality required extensive hardware and software mods since there were no USB ports on the S1 units. Some poeple just take longer to figure things out.

i just dont want to do all of the searching around.

That is where your problem is.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Although I wouldn't call you a moron your request doesn't make any sense. You want to hack your tivo to activate your USB ports so you can download new software which will then turn your ports back off. People who hack their tivo's to get features like HMO and extraction also hack the to PREVENT future software updates.

That said there are a couple of threads on hacking a RID receiver as well as a guide.

If all you want to is make phone calls without using a phone line go to the underground section of TTC and either search for or post a question about using the serial port and PPP.

WOW!!! someone with a real answer. i didn't realize it would turn the ports back off. Thanks.

captain_video
01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
that is like saying "this is a crappy forum that doesn't give any straight answers to anyone...but that is the way it has always been so why improve on it."
You're obviously new to this hobby so let me explain it to you. New hacks are being developed all of the time. There are lengthy discussions on the development and implementation of each and every one of them followed by countless troubleshooting question posted by newbies that didn't take the time to learn what the hack was all about. As a result, pertinent info is scattered all over the forum. Numerous step-by-step guides have been put together in the past and usually resulted in the forum getting swamped with unnecessary and unwanted support questions. Setting up a DTivo to enable the USB ports is not all that difficult but it is not a one or two step process. It involves the installation of several different hacks before you can even think about enabling the USB ports.

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
In the words of Ludacris.....

Hey...you want what with me...
Ima tell you right now don't **** wit me...
Get down...
Cuz I got nothing to loose...
And I'm having a bad day, don't make me take it out on you!!!

GET BACK GET BACK, YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT!

aet
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
That doesn't mean anything honestly. I started hacking these things at 20 when I was fresh out of the Army and hadn't touched a computer in a few years.

i was just trying to explain that i have technical background and that i actually can hack if i wanted to.

That is where your problem is.

well, if my problem is not wanting to waste weeks to not get anywhere then i guess I truely AM a moron.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:36 PM
You're obviously new to this hobby so let me explain it to you. New hacks are being developed all of the time. There are lengthy discussions on the development and implementation of each and every one of them followed by countless troubleshooting question posted by newbies that didn't take the time to learn what the hack was all about. As a result, pertinent info is scattered all over the forum. Numerous step-by-step guides have been put together in the past and usually resulted in the forum getting swamped with unnecessary and unwanted support questions. Setting up a DTivo to enable the USB ports is not all that difficult but it is not a one or two step process. It involves the installation of several different hacks before you can even think about enabling the USB ports.

capain_video...another person that actually gives pertinant info...

so in your opinion, what would those hacks be and in what order would i perform those as to do the USB thing?

AlphaWolf
01-06-2005, 05:40 PM
i was just trying to explain that i have technical background and that i actually can hack if i wanted to.

And I am trying to explain that that doesn't work. You aren't the first to come here from that background.

well, if my problem is not wanting to waste weeks to not get anywhere then i guess I truely AM a moron.

Geeks? You're the one with a full time computer job :D I am going into the medical field myself.

If you want to go the route you are currently taking (just firing shots in the dark hoping for a response you like) then try www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb

That forum is more dumbed down which is ok for beginners, but refrain from asking about more advanced topics there because the admin there really doesn't like several of them. We allow (nay, encourage) them, which in itself is the reason we are tougher on our newbies because theres a steeper learning curve here as most of these hacks require some experience to deploy to your tivo.

xpanmanx
01-06-2005, 05:43 PM
What useful advice? I'm still looking.....s t i l l l o o k i n g. . . s t i l l l o o k i n g . . . s t i l l l o o k i n g. . . . s t i l l l o o k i n g
Heh. With the information gleaned from this forum, and that other forum, and Google, I have successfully hacked my S1SA and S2 Combo by adding drive space, web interfaces, video extraction and many extra features that both support and expand on the other hacks.

I was able to find the answers to my questions, and you can too. I learned a lot in the process - much more so than I would have if someone had handed me the answers on a sliver platter.

Your sad songs are familiar to all. They have been sung by countless others before you, in online communities worldwide. Opinions of the performers vary with the temperment of the community, but I can tell you that here, you are considered lazy and beneath help if you do not show that you have put forth effort on your own. If you don't like it you can always ask for help elsewhere.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Geeks? You're the one with a full time computer job :D I am going into the medical field myself.

who said anything about geeks? not me. i dont enjoy being stereotyped.

AlphaWolf
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
who said anything about geeks? not me. i dont enjoy being stereotyped.

Was just a quip, but most of us aren't really geeks here.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, don't combine high res modes with a fingerprint smudge, my bad

aet
01-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Heh. With the information gleaned from this forum, and that other forum, and Google, I have successfully hacked my S1SA and S2 Combo by adding drive space, web interfaces, video extraction and many extra features that both support and expand on the other hacks.

keep tootin that horn.

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I am going into the medical field myself.

Does that mean you are unemployed?

psxboy

Not a moron... just a non-hacker. What, exactly, do you think hacking is? It certainly isn't begging for a how-to and then complaining when you realize that you may actually have to put some time into learning something on your own.

-psxboy

xpanmanx
keep tootin that horn.
Keep trying to get your updates working via IP.

AlphaWolf
01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Does that mean you are unemployed?

In school.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Keep trying to get your updates working via IP.

it will be via IP, just not dial up.

01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
There is a lot of information, I understand you're looking for help on where to start:
1) you'll need a PC that can boot off a CDROM, preferably one with a FAT32 partition.
2) Drives are cheap after rebate. Buy a new drive so you can keep your present drive as a backup. Get a 100-120 gig drive. Don't go larger than 120 gig. It doesn't sound like you're willing to spend the time it'll take to research the extra steps required to setup a large drive.
3) you'll need a serial cable, since you're trying to cut your time to a minimum buy one from 9thtee.
4) The instructions are in this thread
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354
since want to save time buy the 4.0 image and the boot CD, the links are in the first post. You want to buy the instant cake for a SA unit.
5)http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39356 will give you additional information

You may want to use the thread tools to make a printable view and then print it.

It may take you a few hours to print and review the threads I linked to, if you're not willing to spend that much time follow my original suggestion and just go with a serial/ PPP connection.

mdt1974
01-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Now this is getting fun!!!! I wish more threads were like this one!

aet
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
There is a lot of information, I understand you're looking for help on where to start:
1) you'll need a PC that can boot off a CDROM, preferably one with a FAT32 partition.
2) Drives are cheap after rebate. Buy a new drive so you can keep your present drive as a backup. Get a 100-120 gig drive. Don't go larger than 120 gig. It doesn't sound like you're willing to spend the time it'll take to research the extra steps required to setup a large drive.
3) you'll need a serial cable, since you're trying to cut your time to a minimum buy one from 9thtee.
4) The instructions are in this thread
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354
since want to save time buy the 4.0 image and the boot CD, the links are in the first post.
5)http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39356 will give you additional information

You may want to use the thread tools to make a printable view and then print it.

It may take you a few hours to print and review the threads I linked to, if you're not willing to spend that much time follow my original suggestion and just go with a serial/ PPP connection.

that is all i am really asking for. the exact places to get what i need and know it will work. thanks a ton newbie. was that so hard other DDB posters?

AhoyMatey
01-06-2005, 05:52 PM
capain_video...another person that actually gives pertinant info...

so in your opinion, what would those hacks be and in what order would i perform those as to do the USB thing?
I gave you a real answer. You don't have to hack your tivo for the reason you stated. I'm a bit hurt that I'm not included in the the "pertinant info" list :D.

For newbie's serial port info : http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=135715&highlight=vonage

alldeadhomiez
01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
so i am a complete moron when it comes to hacking tivo. i hate all of the "howto" documents on here because they aren't cut and dry like i need them. I need step by step instructions to enable the usb ports on my samsung s4040r directivo so i can update via the web.

i just dont want to do all of the searching around.

Sounds like this isn't the ideal place (or hobby) for you. Enjoy your stock TiVo.

Moved to Sewer.

xpanmanx
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
thanks a ton newbie. was that so hard other DDB posters?
Yes, it was. Newbie was obviously just trying to put and end to the waste of productivity caused by this thread.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I gave you a real answer. You don't have to hack your tivo for the reason you stated. I'm a bit hurt that I'm not included in the the "pertinant info" list :D.

sorry, i thought i gave you your credit above where i said

i understand about the vonage thing, and i thank you for that

thanks to you too.

aet
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, it was. Newbie was obviously just trying to put and end to the waste of productivity caused by this thread.

i know. but i got what i wanted...500 views in under an hour.

AhoyMatey
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
You're most welcome. Enjoy your tivo hacking.

mrme17k
01-06-2005, 06:02 PM
dude, if you are so good at linux, then tivo should be nothing. I am hackin my tivo right now. I searched and have gotten pretty far. Matter of fact, i am almost done. Search. This place is very helpful. if you get stuck in a spot, ask a question. If you have to have a "step-by-step", hold your hand, then you will not learn anything.

o, btw, if your mouse does not work in linux, then you are running x. real linux admins start there box in run level 3, and never fire off x. Try getting a clue. People here do not care what your job title is. Or what your age is when you got the title. A title is nothing. The question is, can you do your job?!?!?! If you need a walk throu to fix (perform) something, then i hold no confidence in your abilities of an admin. I feel VERY sorry for your end (l)users if your server goes down, and the fix is not in a book somewere.

People like you really piss me off. This site, and the people here have helped me and many people with there device's in just the format that we have. if you dont like it, them maybe you need to go someplace else. :mad:

I am a netadmin for a 4 campus college, with about 1200 boxes. Copper, fiber, WiFi and all. Please do not tell me that you know what you are doing because of a Job Title. My network is all linux. Do you think that i would be able to find a step by step walk throu if something went wrong?

stupid paper tech's :mad:

AlphaWolf
01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah most of the learning process is just learning linux. I practically learned linux through tivo hacking.

aet
01-06-2005, 06:47 PM
o, btw, if your mouse does not work in linux, then you are running x. real linux admins start there box in run level 3, and never fire off x. Try getting a clue. People here do not care what your job title is. Or what your age is when you got the title. A title is nothing. The question is, can you do your job?!?!?! If you need a walk throu to fix (perform) something, then i hold no confidence in your abilities of an admin. I feel VERY sorry for your end (l)users if your server goes down, and the fix is not in a book somewere.

I am a netadmin for a 4 campus college, with about 1200 boxes. Copper, fiber, WiFi and all. Please do not tell me that you know what you are doing because of a Job Title. My network is all linux. Do you think that i would be able to find a step by step walk throu if something went wrong?

stupid paper tech's :mad:

you are an 1d10t. did you even read all of the other posts? if you did, then you would understand and you wouldn't be making these comments. the mouse post was an example to show how unhelpful this forum is. i know what X is and i cant believe that you even commented on it. also, you tell me that a title doesn't matter, but then you toot your own horn about what you do as a netadmin. good for you dumb$hit. I am far from a paper tech. i didn't ever say that i knew what i was doing because of my job title...i said that i am a technical person and i wasn't as dumb as i led on... it must suck to be you if you are getting mad over a post on this forum. destress by watching the tivo that you successfully hacked.

khig
01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
you are an 1d10t.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Geez, you dont hear this much pissing in a public restroom :eek:

mrme17k
01-07-2005, 12:51 AM
destress by watching the tivo that you successfully hacked.

I do belive i will.

how is yours coming? ;)

compwiz312
01-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Who votes to close this thread to end this useless ranting?!?!?
I DO!!!

slaeyer
01-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I think one of the problems that newbies (myself included) seem to run across in this forum is that things change so frequently (newer better tools, tricks, techniques and what-not), and there is no easy to follow method in place for tracking these changes.

For example, searching through the forum for tips on some of the more beginner steps yeilds information from several months, even years past that is very obviously outdated. But unless a savvy user reads post dates, or is willing to read many many threads, they may not realize this. Compound this fact with the ever changing tools and techniques that are continually posted, and you are often presented with an over abundance of information that is quite difficult to sort through.

Perhaps a method of removing old, outdated posts or better tracking of changes could be implemented. Maybe a new sticky thread that lists the current tools and techniques used for common hacks could be implemented also. None of these suggestions would need to be very detailed at all, simply a short list of "XXX.iso" is currently recommended, or software/method YY.YY has been replaced by the much preferred ZZ.ZZ software/method etc.

This is just my $0.5 - $0.3 worth
SlaeYer

AlphaWolf
01-07-2005, 02:50 AM
you are an 1d10t. did you even read all of the other posts? if you did, then you would understand and you wouldn't be making these comments. the mouse post was an example to show how unhelpful this forum is.

Then what are you still doing here?

EDIT: Wait a minute, what the hell kind of shenanigans are you trying to pull here? http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188509#post188509

You don't seem to mind writing howtos, why don't you go do the research and find out yourself instead of going out of your way to make a goddamned political statement about this forum?

Yes, we know we are hard on newbies, and honestly we don't particularly give a hair on a sewer rats ass. Tell all of your friends, make sure that they know this as well, hell go spread the word to other PVR forums as well. Make yourself some picket signs and stand out in front of internet cafes telling people that we are cruel to newbies. Don't forget to write to your congressman demanding special rights for the newbically disabled while you are at it.

Telling people here what they already know won't accomplish a damn thing, so theres no point to what you are doing here. Several people like you keep trying to do this same crap over and over again and it is really getting stupid, so give it a rest already. Nobody f*cking cares.

captain_video
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
aet,

What I'd like to know is what the heck you've been doing since you joined this forum over three months ago? You obviously have not been reading or paying attention to what's going on here or you would never have asked your original question without at least doing a basic search first. Rule No. 1 in any forum is to read the sticky threads and FAQs before asking a question or run the risk of looking like a true moron (your words, not mine). If you had you would have found a thread full of the How Tos you seek. I leave it up to you to find the one I'm talking about since it really isn't hard to find. Hint: I would have told you to look at the top of this forum but the thread got moved to it's proper location so you'll now have to figure out where it is.

aet
01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
when i wrote the howto it was my way to TRY and make a little difference on this crappy board and little easier on other newbies that dont particularly want to spend days upon days doing research to add a drive. i have a bunch of friends that have DircTivos and all of them want to upgrade the wussy 40Gb HDD, but none of them really know where to even start. i spent a lot of time doing research for that hack and i felt like alot of newbies dont particularly want to get as far into it as i did...so i wrote the howto to save those people time. when i wrote that howto 3 months ago i got a ton of sh1t for it too (mostly from captain_video). if you think that the average person wants to do as much searching as you guys do, you are truely mistaken. most people in the general public that have tivos and want to upgrade, dont want to spend tons of time. sorry if i have hijacked your god-like forum. too bad for you. i am done with this now.

aet
01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
aet,

What I'd like to know is what the heck you've been doing since you joined this forum over three months ago? You obviously have not been reading or paying attention to what's going on here or you would never have asked your original question without at least doing a basic search first.

obviously this is not a hobby for me. i want to hack the thing and get the results i want and then use the tivo. so i upgraded the drive 3 months ago, and then i have been using it. and i love it. I dont "enjoy" wading through all the posts that you guys call "howtos" and get nowhere. I have other things i enjoy doing.

PlainBill
01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I have a question about DDB, and the way we treat users such as aet. If we don't want them here, why do we continue to feed the trolls?

PlainBill

captain_video
01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Ther are basically two types of people that join these forums:

One type is the individual that wants to learn to hack a Tivo and is willing to put forth the time and effort it takes to acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform the aforementioned task. These individuals vary in their level of skill and Linux expertise. Some, like myself, don't know the first thing about Linux but manage to pick up the basics through extensive reading and trial and error as well as learn from the experience of others that came before them. A few of these individuals that possess greater skills and software background eventually become developers and major contributors to this hobby.

The second type is the one that just wants to hack their Tivo without taking the time to learn what it's all about. They come here seeking instant gratification but rarely learn much of anything nor do they contribute much to the overall wellbeing of this forum. They usually whine and bitch that nobody has done the work for them and throw tantrums and flame anyone that criticizes them. The ones that use step-by-step guides but don't understand what they're doing and why they're installing a particular hack end up begging for help down the road. Some of them eventually realize what hacking is all about and decide to dive in and do the research.

It's kind of like going to school and earning a degree. You can't just waltz into the Dean's office and demand a diploma because you don't want to have to do the work. Do you suppose the Dean would just say "Here's your diploma, son!" or would he direct you to the admissions office and tell you to enroll in some classes? That's pretty much the kind of attitude you run into here when you announce that you're too lazy to do your homework and just want to be spoonfed. The info is provided in the form of textbooks at a university. Here you'll find it scattered throught the various forums, threads and posts. Many of the threads (i.e., stickys) are like your own personal librarian that can direct you where to look for the info you seek. Coming here are griping because you can't find what you want is like yelling at a librarian that you can't find a book but don't want to look through the card catalogue.

It's up to you to decide what type of person you want to be. If you choose the first then you'll be welcomed with open arms and the membership will bend over backwards to help as long as you show some initiative of your own. If you choose the second type, you'll just end up in the sewer. :rolleyes:

aet
01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Coming here are griping because you can't find what you want is like yelling at a librarian that you can't find a book but don't want to look through the card catalogue.

actually, that is a good example, but i dont feel that way. a library has a card catalogue, but that catalogue has no information on it itself. it only doesn't give you a synopsis of the book, it only gives you the topic and where to find it. you must usually as a librarian to point you in the direction of what you are looking for. they know exactly where to find what you want. i am asking the members of DDB to do that for me...which you have (after a lot of ranting and b1tching). i search for all types of stuff on here and all i find are posts that go around and around and no clear answers. i cant deal with that.

khig
01-07-2005, 10:18 AM
If we don't want them here, why do we continue to feed the trolls?

It's either...

A cheap form of entertainment....

or

One is defending one's (mine/yours'/forums') honor from things like id10t, $hithead, (insert your favorite)

Just my $.02

aet
01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
i guess it all comes down to the fact that because i haven't "put in my time" i am somehow not worthy of the information which i asked for. i just dont understand this mentality. newbies will always come on here with questions. if you dont want them here, the quickest thing would be to answer their question and be done with it instead of making fun of them and giving them crap about how they dont know what they are doing. i am not just talking about my post either, tons and tons of posts are like this. i just dont think it is right. they will get out of your hair if you give them what they need...answers not flaming. this post would have been 3-5 threads long if someone would have just told me what to do like newbie did on page 3...this should have been done on page 1.

khig
01-07-2005, 10:38 AM
You are the one adding fuel to the fire.

aet
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
You are the one adding fuel to the fire.

yes i am because i dont think that one person on this board actually wants to help someone just starting out. that is not the idea behind forums. ESPECIALLY the "newbie" forum. it is labeled that way for a reason. why would someone want to post in there if they know they are going to get the a$$ chewed.

alldeadhomiez
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
you must usually as a librarian to point you in the direction of what you are looking for. they know exactly where to find what you want. i am asking the members of DDB to do that for me...which you have (after a lot of ranting and b1tching).

Request denied. Nobody has an obligation to help you, especially after your recent temper tantrums.

We don't need to put up with your abuse and incessant complaining. Take some time off to learn your manners, and come back to our house when you can behave yourself.

khig
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
yes i am because i dont think that one person on this board actually wants to help someone just starting out. that is not the idea behind forums. ESPECIALLY the "newbie" forum. it is labeled that way for a reason. why would someone want to post in there if they know they are going to get the a$$ chewed.

The only ones that get chewed are the ones with atitudes like your's.

01-07-2005, 10:56 AM
:) You start by saying you're a moron and then after I direct you to a couple of threads to read you reply the 500 views you got was what you were really looking for.

I'm surprised the moderators took as long as they did putting you into the penalty box.

There is someone selling a hacked unit on E-Bay. You might try to get your bid in before the auction gets killed. :)

formerlyAET
01-07-2005, 11:11 AM
probably get banned for this, but maybe not. This is AET for the people that cant figure that out.

i guess it all comes down to the fact that because i haven't "put in my time" i am somehow not worthy of the information which i asked for. i just dont understand this mentality. newbies will always come on here with questions...you cant stop that. if you dont want them here, the quickest thing would be to answer their question and be done with it instead of making fun of them and giving them crap about how they dont know what they are doing. i am not just talking about my post either, tons and tons of posts are like this. i just dont think it is right. they will get out of your hair if you give them what they need...answers not flaming. this post would have been 3-5 threads long if someone would have just told me what to do like newbie did on page 3...this should have been done on page 1.

I personally thank the following
AhoyMatey for answering my initial Vonage question although he was an a$$ about the CAPS thing.
mdt1974 for actually having my back.
newbie for giving straight answers. (also, i didn't mean that post like that. i meant that i got some answers to my problem.)
captain_video for also giving straight answers eventhough they were laced with disdain. (better than nothing i guess)
slaeyer for actually giving suggestions to make the board a better place. i haven't seen anyone else do this.

i am washing my hands of this forum. i thank the above and i hope that this has shed a little light on the way this board makes newbies feel...in a few words...like they are stup1d and they aren't wanted...which from what i gather is pretty much true. just think about all this the next time you flame someone for asking how to upgrade thier tivo to a larger HDD. maybe just tell them to check out my howto doc or go buy one from somewhere online already configured. thanks for all the good times. aet.

AhoyMatey
01-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Bye-bye. Can't say it's been fun.

JohnSorTivo
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
maybe just tell them to check out my howto doc or go buy one from somewhere online already configured.

so i am a complete moron when it comes to hacking tivo. i hate all of the "howto" documents on here because they aren't cut and dry like i need them.Something doesn't add up...

JJBliss
01-07-2005, 11:49 AM
probably get banned for this, but maybe not. This is AET for the people that cant figure that out.
Yep. You're right. Alldeadhomiez put you on temporary hiatus for your outbursts. I'm going extend that a little, until forever, mostly because I don't like your attitude, but more importantly because you evaded a ban. No both your accounts are gone.

i am washing my hands of this forum.
Bye.

xpanmanx
01-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm going extend that a little, until forever, mostly because I don't like your attitude...
Man, what a roflcaust :D