PDA

View Full Version : booted from the newbie forum...this place is no help

aet
01-06-2005, 07:07 PM
this place never gives straight forward answers. check it out...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40544

this all will probably get me banned or something.

alldeadhomiez
01-06-2005, 07:12 PM
this all will probably get me banned or something.

If that's a request, I'll be happy to honor it.

aet
01-06-2005, 07:28 PM
If that's a request, I'll be happy to honor it.

well, if people actually answered questions and didn't personally attack posters maybe there wouldn't be problems like this. do what you gotta do if you feel it is warrented...i dont.

snowman
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's the problem. You want simple, concise instructions on how to modify your Tivo. This is a hacker's site. Hacking, as defined here, is about wanting to learn how to modify your Tivo to do things it won't do "out of the box" and solving most of your issues by yourself. You're supposed to find joy in getting it to work, rather than just in it working. I like installshield packages as much as the next guy, but you're just not going to get that here. When how-to guides are posted, they're quickly obsolete and not maintained.

It appears to me that this site is set up for hobbyists, not the general public. If you're willing to go through the trouble of learning all of this stuff, chances are you might hang around, help others, and maybe even create a hack or two yourself.

It's not as simple as just a Linux OS running an app and loading drivers. You can enable the usb ports by using the usb 2.0 backports, but then what? You have networking but no way to use it. So, you need telnet and ftp, maybe web access too. But, if you don't protect yourself from updates, Tivo will reward you for your efforts by taking you back to stock form.

Yep, everyone seems quite harsh when you ask to be spoon-fed. I took my licks, you can either take yours or leave. It'll get better. Huge did make a guide for running 4.x on RID. You might search for it.

alldeadhomiez
01-06-2005, 09:16 PM
It appears to me that this site is set up for hobbyists, not the general public.

Anybody who is willing to learn is welcome here. And we'll even help you out, if you're making a good effort.

But if you need your hand held through the whole process: http://www.tivocommunity.com/

aet
01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
i guess i just dont understand why people feel like it is ok to jump on people just because they are new. if those same people wanted others to join this forum and contribute, they wouldn't act like that. i just dont get it.

khig
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
i guess i just dont understand why people feel like it is ok to jump on people just because they are new. if those same people wanted others to join this forum and contribute, they wouldn't act like that. i just dont get it.

Let me see if I can make this clear for you.

You come here and go gimme gimme gimme.

Someone pointed you in the right direction and you whined "Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"

Try setting at your desk at work next week and do nothing and expect the boss to still pay you.

aet
01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Let me see if I can make this clear for you.

You come here and go gimme gimme gimme.

Someone pointed you in the right direction and you whined "Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"

Try setting at your desk at work next week and do nothing and expect the boss to still pay you.

actually, i thanked the people that gave me true help. i never said, "thats too hard". i just want a cut and dry answer and someone has to know it.

BTW

"Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"
you mean 'Thats TOO hard" right

and

Try SITTING at my desk right?

khig
01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
i never said, "thats too hard".

OK, so you didn't say "thats too hard", but then what does this statement mean?

"i just dont want to do all of the searching...."

Oh look, the newbies figured out a new toy.

BTW

you mean 'Thats TOO hard" right

and

Try SITTING at my desk right?

Nice to see you got the CAPS working and remember how to use it. So what are you now, the grammar police?

aet
01-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Nice to see you got the CAPS working and remember how to use it. So what are you now, the grammar police?

nope, just pointing out that you are a moron. i dont deal well with people that act like they know a ton of $hit but then can't use too and to correctly.

khig
01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
nope, just pointing out that you are a moron. i dont deal well with people that act like they know a ton of $hit but then can't use too and to correctly.

Well you know, actually i am not a very technical person, i am not a computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company. I'm just a hick from Kansas and isn't it amazing that I could acomplish what is in my sig without all the pissing and moaning and name calling when things didn't get done for me. Why it's a wonder I could even get the lid off :eek:

formerlyAET
01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
hey look at that, i got penality box. boy, thats a shocker.

captain_video
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
hey look at that, i got penality box. boy, thats a shocker.
No, you got kicked off the forum. The penalty box is a temporary "timeout". You've been shown the door, bud.

AlphaWolf
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
God damn, what kind of obsessive psychotic faggot would sit there and talk about how much he hates some place and then just keeps coming back there regardless?

khig
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
God damn, what kind of obsessive psychotic faggot would sit there and talk about how much he hates some place and then just keeps coming back there regardless?

Apparently aet :rolleyes:

AVD
02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Apparently aet :rolleyes:

Isn't singing up with another userid a violation of the rules?

(assuming 'formerlyAET' is AET, which can get you the penalty box here)

mrblack51
02-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Isn't singing up with another userid a violation of the rules?

(assuming 'formerlyAET' is AET, which can get you the penalty box here)

yup. its considered to be trying to evade a ban. it will get the new account perm banned, and extend your stay in the penalty box.

lrhorer
02-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Some people do invite abuse - and enjoy it. One needn't be obsessive, psychotic, or homosexual to be a masochist, although this fellow does seem a bit obsessive. 'Not that there is anything wrong with being a homosexual, either, but in getting frustrated, you've probably just done exactly what he wanted. He gets to enjoy bringing you to a broil. I suggest you handle him like any other spoiled brat: ignore him and he will go away.

AlphaWolf
02-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Some people do invite abuse - and enjoy it. One needn't be obsessive, psychotic, or homosexual to be a masochist, although this fellow does seem a bit obsessive. 'Not that there is anything wrong with being a homosexual, either, but in getting frustrated, you've probably just done exactly what he wanted. He gets to enjoy bringing you to a broil. I suggest you handle him like any other spoiled brat: ignore him and he will go away.

PC isn't my bag.

PlainBill
02-20-2005, 01:47 PM
PC isn't my bag.
Q: What does a sadist do to a masochist?

A: Nothing.

PlainBill