PDA

View Full Version : DVR40 No DTV Channels showing

Powerstride
01-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I have my buddies DVR40 and am upgrading to 4.0.1b image (recommended by reliable source as good image). I have the unit at my house and it is a valid sub'd DTV card/unit.

Well in my infinate wisdom I proceeded to upgrade this as if it were an HDVR2 like mine, but w/o tivoscripts. Well much to my chagrin I wasn't able to get a 4.0.1b image to fire up w/o hacks, the unit booted but no image on TV. So I tried to back down to 3.1.1b and older image from my HDVR2 w/o hacks. Again booted but no Channel Lineup displayed and kept getting a "you will be unable to record" message.So no channels no recording this is what lead me to look on the back of the unit for the model number. (I am an ***** for not doing this first)

Well the obvious reason for my problems is that the DVR40 is a RID unit. So back to the drawing board. I took the 4.0.1b image, executed the new monte method in init-framework, installed busybox, fakecall40, and the dssapp replacement.

Now the unit boots up and I can configure everything but I am still getting an error that No channels are available. I also do not see the option for the "Clear and Delete All" (strange). So my questions are this:

By me turning on the RID unit using 3.1.1b or the 4.0.1b SA image did I somehow invalidate the DTV info on the card?
(If so can I just call DTV and have them reactivate it?)

If not the images I used would turning on the RID unit using my dish cause this problem?

or is this possibly (as tech support would say) a bad image and I should start over?

I really would like to understand the first two questions before someone jumps in with "bad image" off the bat, so that I know I am covering all my bases.

Is there any reason the card would loose its programming because of something I am doing to upgrade the unit?

If not programming on the card then why would I not see ANY channels.

alldeadhomiez
01-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Now the unit boots up and I can configure everything but I am still getting an error that No channels are available. I also do not see the option for the "Clear and Delete All" (strange).

Don't skip steps; you need to find a way to do this. Read through rc.sysinit.

Moved to Newbie.

shawn
01-15-2005, 01:03 PM
There is nothing you can do to change anything on the access card. Nuthing.
That card is tighter then Joan Rivers face. You need run Superpatch.
Read Read Read. 4.0.1b isnt an easy upgrade for a beginner who hasnt spent 2 months reading be4 starting.

Gunnyman
01-15-2005, 01:16 PM
C&D everything is found in messages and setup Restart or Reset System.
The unable to find channels is NORMAL on 1st boot.

alldeadhomiez
01-15-2005, 01:39 PM
The unable to find channels is NORMAL on 1st boot.

Normal if you're using a crappy (unclean) image. I recommend that you build your filesystem from known good slices instead.

Gunnyman
01-15-2005, 01:48 PM
HMM my instant cake image was bad then or I did something esle wrong lol

shawn
01-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Basic Tivo functionality tutorials. Oh brother.
Maybe post a guide on how to do a C & A?

alldeadhomiez
01-15-2005, 02:00 PM
HMM my instant cake image was bad then or I did something esle wrong lol

Is /State empty in mfs_ls before the first boot? If not, the image is not clean.

Montaņo
01-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Basic Tivo functionality tutorials. Oh brother.
Maybe post a guide on how to do a C & A?

What is a "C & A", shawn?? I've heard of 'T & A' :D

shawn
01-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Cans and Arse what else?

Powerstride
01-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Gee I didn't think I was a newbie but ok.

I did a Clear and delete using the setzap*.tcl script(searched for clear and delete via telnet) there is no interface menu Item for this on this image. All channels except locals now working. I will do some more searching to figure out what will repair the local channels.

P.S. I figured this out about 5min after posting. Usually it takes writting it out before it hits me what might fix the problem.

If you know offhand on the locals let me know otherwise.. back to reading.

JJBliss
01-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Gee I didn't think I was a newbie but ok.
That's usually the first sign. Commenting on your post being moved, is the second.

I will do some more searching to figure out what will repair the local channels. ... If you know offhand on the locals let me know otherwise.. back to reading
Waiting will do it. Or calling DTV and having them resend the programming to the card. Some claim to have had success actually using X721.

Gunnyman
01-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Code 711 on DTV's 800 number will get you your locals back.

Powerstride
01-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Waited it out.. they came back in about 1hr