PDA

View Full Version : HMO just appeared on a newly created 4.x S2 DTivo

ddn
01-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Obviously this is my first post, and like most newbs to this I will probably make an ass out of myself. I started searching and reading last night, and today I have my S2 DVR40 DTivo running 4.0.1b. Pretty sweet. The biggest hassle was getting a good image from eMule and I am in the process of seeding a torrent for at the moment.

The only question I can't answer by searching: a few minutes ago Music & Photos just appeared in my Tivo main menu. System Information shows Music/Photo/Multi-Room active, and I can serve Music and Photos from my mac. This just appeared, I didn't do anything to get HMO started up, and it wasn't there when I first installed. What gives?

Hopefully this isn't too asinine.

JohnSorTivo
01-22-2005, 06:53 PM
It sounds like you downloaded an illegally distributed 4.x image that is pre-hacked, which means it violates a number of license agreements, most notably, killhdinitrd.

You probabaly don't want to be responsible for assisting in the propogation of this image by seeding it further with a torrent.

ddn
01-22-2005, 07:03 PM
I applied killhdinitrd myself.

JohnSorTivo
01-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Assuming you downloaded the pre-hacked image, which would be the assumption if HMO worked out of the box, then you probably didn't need to, since it is likely that killhdinitrd was already run against the kernel.

AlphaWolf
01-22-2005, 07:55 PM
It's indeed a fully pre-hacked image, and it is liable to get nuked as well.

Can't have these kinds of images going around, they are only asking for somebody to sell them on ebay. As a caution for anybody distributing these, an RIAA style s&d can and will happen.

alldeadhomiez
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Obviously this is my first post, and like most newbs to this I will probably make an ass out of myself. I started searching and reading last night, and today I have my S2 DVR40 DTivo running 4.0.1b. Pretty sweet. The biggest hassle was getting a good image from eMule and I am in the process of seeding a torrent for at the moment.

The only question I can't answer by searching: a few minutes ago Music & Photos just appeared in my Tivo main menu. System Information shows Music/Photo/Multi-Room active, and I can serve Music and Photos from my mac. This just appeared, I didn't do anything to get HMO started up, and it wasn't there when I first installed. What gives?

Hopefully this isn't too asinine.

Translation: I downloaded a 4.0.1b image, yadda yadda, and now my Uma6 box has HMO.

Could you have possibly provided LESS detail about what you did to get it into this state?

It's indeed a fully pre-hacked image, and it is liable to get nuked as well.

Can't have these kinds of images going around, they are only asking for somebody to sell them on ebay.

eBay is irrelevant. You don't eBay stuff you find on the P2P networks anyway (if you value your freedom).

Anybody sharing copyrighted non-Free software from this board is only a DMCA notice away from losing their broadband connection. Hint: distributing anything with "killhdinitrd" in the filename is just plain stupid.

AlphaWolf
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
eBay is irrelevant. You don't eBay stuff you find on the P2P networks anyway (if you value your freedom).

It happens. No doubt you really pay the piper when you are cought, but it still happens.

ddn
01-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Translation: I downloaded a 4.0.1b image, yadda yadda, and now my Uma6 box has HMO.
Could you have possibly provided LESS detail about what you did to get it into this state?

I can provide all the detail in the world, but since you can see how it got there, I don't see why. I booted using the enhanced PTV CD, applied a 4.0.1 image I found on eD2k linked from the image begging thread, and followed this (http://nh-gym.com/4xrid.htm) guide.

If you're going to be condescending, at least spare me some of the newbie flak. I've been using Linux on my desktop exclusively since before most of you were teething. Tivo hacking is new to me. No technique used in these hacks is news to me.

AlphaWolf
01-22-2005, 09:05 PM
No technique used in these hacks is news to me.

You can't say that unless you are quite familiar with several aspects of tivos proprietary filesystem.

Also, I was teething around 1983, linux didn't come around until late 1991.

alldeadhomiez
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I can provide all the detail in the world, but since you can see how it got there, I don't see why. I booted using the enhanced PTV CD, applied a 4.0.1 image I found on eD2k linked from the image begging thread, and followed this (http://nh-gym.com/4xrid.htm) guide.

If you're going to be condescending, at least spare me some of the newbie flak. I've been using Linux on my desktop exclusively since before most of you were teething. Tivo hacking is new to me. No technique used in these hacks is news to me.

Great, you followed the HUGE guide, which instructs you to install the HMO Superpatch. In the future, please don't assume we can figure this sort of thing out by reading your mind.

Now, tell me this: what kinds of features do you suppose the HMO Superpatch might enable on your system?

ddn
01-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Fair enough. I never saw it referred to as the HMO Superpatch, only "superpatch". I skimmed the thread but I guess I didn't pay attention that it actually said it enabled HMO.

Now that I've clarified how I got to this point. Is the image I used "legal" Because if so I'd like to seed it and save people the hassle of using eMule.

JohnSorTivo
01-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Now that I've clarified how I got to this point. Is the image I used "legal" Because if so I'd like to seed it and save people the hassle of using eMule.It's now clear that the "yada yada" piece was pretty important! Yes, everything appears to be on the up and up.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 05:01 AM
Great, you followed the HUGE guide, which instructs you to install the HMO Superpatch. In the future, please don't assume we can figure this sort of thing out by reading your mind.

Now, tell me this: what kinds of features do you suppose the HMO Superpatch might enable on your system?

I also did not know that "superpatch" was HMO Superpatch. I am just wondering why you guys would INSIST that he had an illegal image when he said that he did not.

The same thing happened to me. I was not able to run superpatch until sometime after I got my image and kernal (both of which I bought from PTV) and killhdinitrd'd it myself. I didn't run Superpatch right away because I didn't have a network adapter, and my laptop doesn't have a serial port. So just like him, the HMO options "magically appeared" later.

It just seems kinda rude that you'd basically accuse him of lying, just because you didn't know that he didn't fully understand...isn't that what us newbies are supposed to do....not fully understand?

NutKase
01-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Fair enough. I never saw it referred to as the HMO Superpatch, only "superpatch". I skimmed the thread but I guess I didn't pay attention that it actually said it enabled HMO.

I also did not know that "superpatch" was HMO Superpatch...So just like him, the HMO options "magically appeared" later.

You guys have got to be kidding. Didn't you even read down to the INFO section in the 2nd post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180450&postcount=2) in the release thread?

Jeez!

NutKase

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 07:01 AM
You guys have got to be kidding. Didn't you even read down to the INFO section in the 2nd post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180450&postcount=2) in the release thread?

Jeez!

NutKase

Well, I was not even interested in HMO at first, I just wanted record time and extraction...

So...I started with using sleeper, and lost my previous recordings, and wacked myoriginal drive trying to recover them....the sleeper install contained a "catch-all" patch program which I assumed "superpatch" was similar to in HUGE's guide.

NutKase
01-23-2005, 08:25 AM
the sleeper install contained a "catch-all" patch program which I assumed "superpatch" was similar to in HUGE's guide.

Sleeper's .iso DIDN'T include any 'catch-all' patch program. It didn't even correctly patch tivos for NoCSO on 4.x systems. The closet thing was some script lines to automate 30-second skip, directory sort etc REMOTE control commands.

Anyway, you should READ the release thread for anything linked in ANY guide.

I, and others, don't spend our time posting the release details for nothing.

NutKase

alldeadhomiez
01-23-2005, 11:11 AM
I am just wondering why you guys would INSIST that he had an illegal image when he said that he did not.

Why are you addressing me? I didn't say that.

It just seems kinda rude that you'd basically accuse him of lying, just because you didn't know that he didn't fully understand...isn't that what us newbies are supposed to do....not fully understand?

Guide or not, newbie or not, you're responsible for knowing what you're installing. This is for your own benefit, and keeps problems like this from happening:

So...I started with using sleeper, and lost my previous recordings, and wacked myoriginal drive trying to recover them....the sleeper install contained a "catch-all" patch program which I assumed "superpatch" was similar to in HUGE's guide

JJBliss
01-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I've been using Linux on my desktop exclusively since before most of you were teething.

Dude. You're a 21 year old kid. Relax with the bravado. It might work on some other boards you frequent in your spare time, but you're amongst elders here.

Nonetheless, I respectfully submit that you reconsider your newly updated "guide". It is still fraught with error, and after you've admitted to being new to tivo hacking (despite your scary linux skills) do you think publishing a guide for other newbies to follow is a good idea?

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Why are you addressing me? I didn't say that.

Guide or not, newbie or not, you're responsible for knowing what you're installing. This is for your own benefit, and keeps problems like this from happening:

Of course, I quoted your post because you pointed out the actual problem, (the 2 of us not knowing enough about superpatch), versus just assuming he was lying about is image

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Of course, I quoted your post because you pointed out the actual problem, (the 2 of us not knowing enough about superpatch), versus just assuming he was lying about is imageWho assumed he was lying? Based on the limited information supplied, there was no way to "guess" anything other than that the image applied was pre-hacked. A specific image name used was never referenced.

What one doesn't assume is that people apply hacks and patches to their system in which they have no idea what they are for.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Sleeper's .iso DIDN'T include any 'catch-all' patch program. It didn't even correctly patch tivos for NoCSO on 4.x systems. The closet thing was some script lines to automate 30-second skip, directory sort etc REMOTE control commands.

Anyway, you should READ the release thread for anything linked in ANY guide.

I, and others, don't spend our time posting the release details for nothing.

NutKase

I know, but sleeper does have a automated process that does several functions in the background...I assumed that superpatch was like the "full monte including hacks" script on this page

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php

rc3105
01-23-2005, 03:01 PM
actually the sleeper "process" didn't do anything in the background

it's one redeeming quality was that it showed the exact command to be executed and required user approval for each step

it installed several things that ran automatically once the drive was back in the tivo booting but that's not the sleeper script(s). that's just the standard utils it copied in

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Who assumed he was lying? Based on the limited information supplied, there was no way to "guess" anything other than that the image applied was pre-hacked. A specific image name used was never referenced.

What one doesn't assume is that people apply hacks and patches to their system in which they have no idea what they are for.

Review your post in this thread (#2), where you said he probably had a pre-hacked image, ...then his post (#3), where he said that it wasn't...then yours (#4), where you continue to go on as if it is was prehacked, Then AlphaWolfs's (#5), who is "indeed" convinced the image is hacked, despite what he said in post #3

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Review your post in this thread (#2), where you said he probably had a pre-hacked image, ...then his post (#3), where he said that it wasn't...then yours (#4), where you continue to go on as if it is was prehacked, Then AlphaWolfs's (#5), who is "indeed" convinced the image is hacked, despite what he said in post #3He didn't say the image wasn't pre-hacked, he said he applied killhdinitrd, which could have been done despite the fact the image was pre-hacked. Tell me, expert, with no reference to the fact that the superpatch was run, yet HMO is working, what image would you surmise he's running? Wait, you wouldn't surmise anything, since it's clear you didn't know what the patch was for in the first place.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 05:32 PM
actually the sleeper "process" didn't do anything in the background

it's one redeeming quality was that it showed the exact command to be executed and required user approval for each step

it installed several things that ran automatically once the drive was back in the tivo booting but that's not the sleeper script(s). that's just the standard utils it copied in

Yes I understand. I am basically refering to the fact that the process applies many commands "automatically" (sort of) without much user intervention, again, at the time I thought that "superpatch" did something similar.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 05:40 PM
He didn't say the image wasn't pre-hacked, he said he applied killhdinitrd.

I mean, maybe this is strecth, but don't you think that him responding with that statement was an attempt to prove that he didn't start with a hacked image?

Tell me, expert, with no reference to the fact that the superpatch was run, yet HMO is working, what image would you surmise he's running? Wait, you wouldn't surmise anything, since it's clear you didn't know what the patch was for in the first place.

He didn't JUST say, it was running...he SPECIFICALLY said it had "just appeared" i.e. wasn't there originally and showed up later...I'm not an expert, but I'd assume if it was a hacked image, then it would have been there all along right?
And actually, I would surmise, that he did exactly what I did. Since, I now know what superpatch does, and had the same thought he had when it seemimgly "appeared out of nowhere".

NutKase
01-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Yes I understand. I am basically refering to the fact that the process applies many commands "automatically" (sort of) without much user intervention, again, at the time I thought that "superpatch" did something similar.

At this point, why don't you shut up. You're ammending what you said. You weren't 'basically referring' to anything. You said what you believed.

the sleeper install contained a "catch-all" patch program

Read this thread several times, try to see your errors and then go try to learn what's going on here and not continue to defend yourself when you've nothing to defend.

NutKase

JJBliss
01-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Honestly, I don't care how long you guys go at it. It seems like relatively harmeless dialectic. However, since it contains no significant or usefull information:

Moved to Sewer

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
This just appeared, I didn't do anything to get HMO started upLet's see, he EXPLICITLY said he didn't do anything to enable HMO, yet the feature is enabled. So based on your "logic", one is to assume NOT that the image is pre-hacked, but rather, that the superpatch was run, and that he simply had no idea what it was for?

Sorry, I give more credit to people than that...

rc3105
01-23-2005, 05:57 PM
this is like that scene in ghostbusters where they throw a line into the slimeflow to get a depth sounding and then get sucked in.... :eek:

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 06:05 PM
At this point, why don't you shut up. You're ammending what you said. You weren't 'basically referring' to anything. You said what you believed.

Huh? Amending what I said? I was just trying to explain to those that think it is oh so difficult to misunderstand what superpatch does...I did it, he did it. I'm sure others have as well....look, I'm doing my best to learn here, I've spent hours per day over the last 3 weeks trying to make sure I understand what I am doing.

I understand that I've missed some things, and this one might have been obvious, but there are MANY important things here on this site that are non-obvious, and searching up and down through hundreds of posts, I might miss a thing or too.

Read this thread several times, try to see your errors and then go try to learn what's going on here and not continue to defend yourself when you've nothing to defend.

NutKase

Fair enough. I understand the idea that the "powers that be" here are concerned that everyone does their due-diligence, and doesn't just expect a hacked box to fall in their lap. I have learned a lot from this whole process, and I probably have you, among others to thank. I'd just suggest that you'd save the righteous indignance toward those that are looking for the easy way out for those that are ACTUALLY looking for an easy way out and not just asking honest questions.

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 06:11 PM
I'd just suggest that you'd save the righteous indignance toward those that are looking for the easy way out for those that are ACTUALLY looking for an easy way out and not just asking honest questions.Where's the "righteous indignance"? Nobody was trying to be condescending to the OP, nobody was trying to call him a liar, nobody was trying to accuse him of taking the easy way out. Responses were simply given based on the information supplied. That's it.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Let's see, he EXPLICITLY said he didn't do anything to enable HMO, yet the feature is enabled. So based on your "logic", one is to assume NOT that the image is pre-hacked, but rather, that the superpatch was run, and that he simply had no idea what it was for?

Sorry, I give more credit to people than that...

So you're saying that continuing to assume he's using a pre-hacked image anyway, when he said he's not, is "giving him more credit" than just assuming that he doesn't know what superpatch does?

Sure, it's okay to assume that he has a hacked image based on the circumstances, but after that is asked, and he said he DIDN'T, then the next logical thing to me, would be to ASK whether he's run Superpatch yet, instead of continuing to insinuate that he has an illegal image.

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 06:19 PM
So you're saying that continuing to assume he's using a pre-hacked image anyway, when he said he's not, is "giving him more credit" than just assuming that he doesn't know what superpatch does?To quote myself once again:

He didn't say the image wasn't pre-hacked, he said he applied killhdinitrd, which could have been done despite the fact the image was pre-hacked.Honestly, I don't know what your problem is, nor why you are trying to put words in his mouth.

He never said he DIDN'T, and further, if one doesn't know what the superpatch does, it's likely one may not know the nature of the image restored as well. Nobody was accusing him of anything, just providing information as to why it would seem he is seeing what it is that he's seeing. That's all.

mackaframa
01-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Where's the "righteous indignance"? Nobody was trying to be condescending to the OP, nobody was trying to call him a liar, nobody was trying to accuse him of taking the easy way out. Responses were simply given based on the information supplied. That's it.

Fair enough...I saw it differently because the same thing happened to me. I just thought someone should have asked "Have you applied the superpatch?", if not before he said he didn't have a hacked image, at least after that instead of continuing to assume that he was doing something illegal.

JohnSorTivo
01-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Fair enough...I saw it differently because the same thing happened to me. I just thought someone should have asked "Have you applied the superpatch?"In retrospect I agree. Since this happened to you, it may seem more obvious to you, than to others, who would have "assumed" that the OP knew what the patch was for, and thus, that this couldn't possibly be the reason HMO is appearing.

ddn
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Wow I feel like the kid who missed a great game of dodgeball at recess. I missed our little flamewar.

JJBliss - Can you clarify one thing for me? Where exactly is the guide fraught with error? It may not be 100% complete with every possible scenario, but to my knowledge there are no mistakes. To my knowledge. Instead of pointing out how "fraught with error" it is, why don't you contribute something and point out exactly how.

All you "elders" complain about guides because they help get people somewhere they don't have the knowledge to be, but then complain about guides that aren't all-inclusive and perfect. I understand many, many broken guides are out there, but given how well this one works, I fail to see how it is fraught with error.

alldeadhomiez
01-24-2005, 08:49 PM
All you "elders" complain about guides because they help get people somewhere they don't have the knowledge to be,

And it's a good idea to get people "somewhere they don't have the knowledge to be"... why? So they can ask get frustrated, screw up their equipment, and ask even more clueless questions with the wife breathing down their neck?

I'm sure you'll have their undying gratitude for that. :rolleyes:

but then complain about guides that aren't all-inclusive and perfect.

I understand many, many broken guides are out there, but given how well this one works, I fail to see how it is fraught with error.

343+ replies for something this simple means a LOT of people have had trouble with it. This guide was a miserable failure.

Have you fixed the errors and omissions I pointed out?

JJBliss
01-24-2005, 10:15 PM
JJBliss - Can you clarify one thing for me? Where exactly is the guide fraught with error?
Errors can be errors in facts, or errors in ommision. Yours is more the later.

... why don't you contribute something...
You want to rethink that stupid comment?

All you "elders" complain about guides because they help get people somewhere they don't have the knowledge to be,
Exactly.