PDA

View Full Version : .tivo file format (split from: Decrypting TiVo ToGo)

ezrec
01-26-2005, 08:42 AM
.tivo files are chunked according to the following structure:

/* All elements are in big-endian format */
typedef struct tivo_stream_header_s {
char filetype[4]; /* the string 'TiVo' */
uint16_t dummy_0004;
uint16_t dummy_0006;
uint16_t dummy_0008;
uint32_t mpeg_offset; /* 0-based offset of MPEG stream */
uint16_t chunks; /* Number of metadata chunks */
struct tivo_stream_chunk_s *chunk;
} __attribute__((packed)) tivo_stream_header;

#define TIVO_CHUNK_XML 0
#define TIVO_CHUNK_BLOB 1

typedef struct tivo_stream_chunk_s {
uint32_t chunk_size; /* Size of chunk */
uint32_t data_size; /* Length of the payload */
uint16_t id; /* Chunk ID */
uint16_t type; /* Subtype */
const uint8_t *data;
} __attribute__((packed)) tivo_stream_chunk;

The 'BLOB' types appear to be either (a) compressed or (b) encrypted, as they have very high entropy. (ie, can't be compressed). The 'BLOB' sizes seem to get longer for longer .tivo streams.

Chunk Type XML has the following text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<license xmlns="http://www.tivo.com/developer/xml/license-1.0">
<notice>
TiVo takes copyright violations seriously. This file may contain
content protected by copyright laws. If you are not the owner or rights
holder of such content, you should be aware that if you distribute this
file or otherwise make it available to anyone else, you may be violating the
intellectual property rights of the owners of the content contained in this
file. If you are not the owner or rights holder of such content, and if you
are a TiVo customer, and if you distribute this file or otherwise make it
available to anyone else, you may be violating the service agreement.
We may permanently discontinue your TiVo service as a result.
</notice>
<created>
01/12/2005 11:22:01
</created>
<fingerprint>
... hex string that is 224 hex digits long ....
</fingerprint>
<salt>
... hex string that is 32 hex digits long...
</salt>
</license>

For example, a stream off of my machine has:

TiVo Stream:
filetype: TiVo
dummy_0004: 0x0004 // Possibly format version?
dummy_0006: 0x0001 // Possibly format minor version?
dummy_0008: 0x0000
mpeg_offset: 0x00003000
chunks: 0x0003
Chunk 0:
chunk_size: 0x00000474
data_size: 0x00000463
id: 0x0003
type: 0x0000
Chunk 1:
chunk_size: 0x00000f54
data_size: 0x00000f44
id: 0x0001
type: 0x0001
Chunk 2:
chunk_size: 0x00001434
data_size: 0x00001422
id: 0x0002
type: 0x0001

I couldn't find any references to .ty stream format on the web, but for those that do know, does this look similar?

alldeadhomiez
01-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Moved to Extraction Dev.

tystream info:

http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/tystream.shtml
http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=15&start=0&rid=0
http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=90&start=0&rid=0

tydemux/tystudio sources: http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/download.shtml

linux_mofo
02-26-2005, 08:38 PM
I just got the TiVoToGo update and am poking around. I'd love to get VLC to work directly with .TiVo files. A couple notes:

Eventhough the files are encrypted, we should have the decryption key (the MAK?). I think it is 4 bytes long. The salt (file specific) is 16 bytes long. So that's a 20 byte decryption key. The files are easily parsed to find the encrypted chunks. Pull a chunk out, decrypt with different methods using the key (it might also take some experimentation to figure out if it is MAK padded with salt, the other way around, or something else?) using different cipher methods to see what works.(?)

It's difficult to find the current status on the effort to decrypt these things other than using round-about methods in a Windoze-only environment. Any pointers to current info, or is this it? :')

-Phil

alldeadhomiez
02-27-2005, 01:03 AM
http://www.alt.org/wiki/index.php/TiVoToGo

ezrec
02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I have updated the link that Admin posted with my 'tivoinfo' program that dumps out the header info, and saves the encrypted mpeg stream from the TiVo file.

ezrec
02-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Someone might want to try recoding a completely blank video stream (no video input, no audio input). That should result in a much easier to decode crypto stream, as the GOPs will be predictable.

linux_mofo
02-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Humm, have you looked at the DirectShow dll? Some interesting pieces of text in there, and lots of debugging info!

A few choice/random things found in that file:

TivoMpegFileStream *
Mpeg2Lib::TivoMpegDecrypt *
Mpeg2Lib::TivoMediaFile
Mpeg2Lib::TivoMpegDecrypt
_STL::auto_ptr<Mpeg>
_STL::auto_ptr<MpegProgramStreamDecrypt>
MediaPasswordDialog
ResourceString *
MediaAccessKey *
MediaAccessKey
CryptoLib::Cypher
CryptoLib::Data
MpegProgramStreamDecrypt
Mpeg2Lib::PcMpeg
Mpeg
MpegTuring

ref<Turing> *
TuringFast *
TuringRef *
TuringTable *
Turing *
Turing
TuringTable
TuringRef
TuringFast
ref<TuringFast>
ref<TuringFast> *
Q@YY]
[YY]
ref<TuringTable>
ref<TuringTable> *
8luY
MpegData *
ref<MpegData> *
MpegData
MpegBlowfish *
MpegTuring::CipherStream *
Borland C++ - Copyright 2002 Borland Corporation
Incorrect media access key or data file is damaged.

Software\TiVo\DirectShow\Volume
TiVo PCM boost filter
Multiplier
TiVoToGo Metadata
TiVoToGo Media
TiVoToGo Transfer
tivo:TiVo DVR:
tivo:transfer:
basic_string
MediaPasswordDialog
Error
Password incorrect
Src\crypt\Turing.C
Turing::Create
hexkey should start with 0x or 0X
Key length exceeds 448 bits
Hexadecimal key contains non-hex digit %c
Hexadecimal key contains non-even number of digits
Residue error, out of zeros at offset %ld
MpegBlowfish::Initialize(%s)
BLOWFISH KEY=0x
%02X
MpegBlowfish::Seek(%lld)
TURING KEY=0x
%02X
PLAYBACK_STREAM_KEY[0x%02x]=0x
%02X
BLOCK_IV[0x%02x,%ld]=0x
invalid video offset, not a multiple of 1024 (%ld)
invalid video offset
invalid key %s
no key to

*** TiVo File header, videoOffset=%ld, count=%d, flags=0x%x
*** 0x%04x: TiVo Public (%d bytes)
*** 0x%04x: TiVo Private (%d bytes)
*** 0x%04x: License Agreement (%d bytes)
*** 0x%04x: Unknown (%d bytes)decrypt meta data

%012lld: adler32 checksum mismatch 0x%lx != 0x%lx
%012lld: 0x%02x skip=%d
%012lld: no key was provided
%012lld: 0x%02x block=%ld/%ld/%d, flags=0x%02x, cs=0x%lx/0x%lx
%012lld: 0x%02x data=%d

Software\TiVo\SharingKeys

ezrec
02-27-2005, 04:17 PM
For the Turing stream cypher, look no further than QualComm, who has kindly
placed on the web the EXACT SAME SOURCE CODE that TiVo used in their stream cypher.

http://www.qualcomm.com.au/Turing.html

Time for the fun to begin!

linux_mofo
02-27-2005, 06:01 PM
For the Turing stream cypher, look no further than QualComm, who has kindly
placed on the web the EXACT SAME SOURCE CODE that TiVo used in their stream cypher.

http://www.qualcomm.com.au/Turing.html

Time for the fun to begin!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Although it's not obvious to me that it is the same exact source code. How did you determine that?

BTW- I needed to comment out the endian.h and byteorder.h includes and make dummy functions (which do nothing but pass values through) for __be32_to_cpu and __be16_to_cpu to make it work on MacOS-X. Namely, I put this

#ifdef __ppc__
int32_t __be32_to_cpu(int32_t data) { return data; }
int16_t __be16_to_cpu(int16_t data) { return data; }
#endif

in near the top of tivo.c.

It gives identical output as my x86 Linux box.

It shouldn't be too hard to determine if the decryption works. The first chunk is smallish and of a special type (0). Must be the meta info, which is probably largely text. Perhaps all XML.

Post any progress you make! :')

linux_mofo
03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
The Turing key size is 16 bytes and the "playback stream key" is 20. At least according to the debugging routines in the dll.

linux_mofo
03-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Turing keys differ completely between files and don't resemble anything contained in a TiVo file, text or binary (including salt, sorry). But, they do remain the same between plays of the same file, even from different players (which are obviously using the same tivo dll for decoding).

BTW- I suggest throwing REC and IDA at the dll. I downloaded the Windows debugger and am using it for the first time tonight and am pulling keys. I think it's the only reasonable way to make progress. Especially if the keys aren't becoming as obvious as hoped. :'(

ezrec
03-04-2005, 08:43 AM
At the TiVoToGo Wiki (http://www.alt.org/wiki/index.php/TiVoToGo) , we have discovered quite a bit about the encrypted streams. Please go there and check it out! We'd love your contributions.

linux_mofo
03-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Nice work ezrec and fdm! :)

Poking around with the dll some more, I noticed that stream keys are changing a lot (breakpoints hit several times when playing a file), but once the file begins to play, the keys don't seem to change.

I've spent some time today creating an initial draft of a function flow chart. I've tried to spend a lot of time eliminating things which aren't interesting (hard to do since we don't know really what's interesting yet). The file is a mere 80K, but there is a huge amount of detail and not a lot of helpful hints in it that show what the functions do.

I can give a brief walkthrough, though:

First of all, the very top (sub_4075F8) is Mpeg2Lib::TivoMpegDecrypt.

In rough quarters of the document from left to right, the left is final cleanup and setup code for the dll. Pretty uninteresting to us.

The second fourth which is a little below the first is the Turing code, playback stream decode, and block_IV decrypt. Probably the most interesting! In this quarter sub_42549C is the function which has the Turing key debug code. The cluster to the right of it (sub_4257F0) is where we find the Playback stream key debug code. Lastly, just to the right of it is sub_425A1C which has the reference to BLOCK_IV.

Third fourth of the document and a little in the middle is the file access and registry routines. Reference to Tivo meta-data is on the right side of this quarter.

The last quarter is the password dialog box. Also are the references to CryptUnprotectData and CryptProtectData. Ignore the widows on the very upper right. Those were supposed to be deleted.

- Something to note. The software tries to lay out all the functions in such a way as to keep functions that call each other close to each other. Notice how far away the CryptProtect functions are from the Turing fuctions, yet close to the registry, file access, and password dialog functions?

linux_mofo
03-09-2005, 11:44 PM
OK, sorry for the delay. Here is a *much* easier to understand graph.

I spaced it out a bit vertically, removed a vast majority of the uninteresting functions, color-coded by memory location (similar colors mean similar location in the lib which I would infer to mean the same source file), and numbered the edges (connecting lines) in the order that they are referenced in the calling function. The first edge (the first call) is unnumbered to help unclutter things. Notice that this graph has no information on flow control on the edges (if's, loops, etc.). Lastly, I added some nodes with string references that use gray edges to show where interesting strings are found.

It still begs to be printed out on several pieces of paper and taped together to be understood, but at least now you should be able to understand and follow most things without being overwhelmed (as much ;') and can see where edges go without them being lost.

BTW-This was created from a 'dot' file which in turn was produced by a Perl script that parses the .gdl file from IDA. Post a reply if you'd like to see either of these.

ezrec
03-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Very useful.

Over the weekend, I plan to use this to help decode the 'Tivo Sharing Keys' in the registry, and I'll describe my results (if any) on Monday.

Thanks for the research - we're getting one step closer every day.

linux_mofo
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Very useful.

Over the weekend, I plan to use this to help decode the 'Tivo Sharing Keys' in the registry, and I'll describe my results (if any) on Monday.

Thanks for the research - we're getting one step closer every day.
Thanks! The colors came out a little too girly/pastelly for my taste, but I wanted them to be light enough to make the text readable when printed out. ;')

BTW- I did a little tracing on the sharing keys decrypt stuff earlier this week. It looks like the dll uses the CryptUnprotectData function to look at the registry entries. If you put in the wrong password, it goes so far as to call CryptUnprotectData, which generates an error, which then triggers the 'wrong password' in the user dialog. So, it seems it is this function that's providing the test for whether the pass is right or not. Here's Microsoft's documentation on the function:

CryptUnprotectData (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcesecurity5/html/wce50lrfcryptunprotectdata.asp)

ezrec
03-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Groovy. Looks like we need a windows program to call CryptUnprotectData() to get the data out of the blob.

Fun fun fun.

linux_mofo
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Tok: hey, intercepted the CryptUnprotectData call. Output string is 38-bytes containing "tivo:<16-byte-hex-string>". I'll try to get some code up showing how I did it. Doesn't seem obviously related to the MAK, but it's the same even after changing the password. Just gotta find the 20-byte IV now?
Interesting. I did a memory search using WinHex after 2 calls to CryptUnprotectData (it seems to be called a total of 3 times when beginning to play a video) and I also see the "tivo:####.." for each. The first time it seems to be on the registry entry "TivoToGo Metadata", as I can see the registry data sitting there in memory (and no password prompted yet). The result is as Tok sees it, 16-byte ascii hex.

Then the DLL asks for the password and then it loads the "TivoToGo Media" registry key and decrypts that. There, the result is "tivo:MAK" (with MAK of course being my MAK, which is in ascii and base-10, just as it is shown by the tivo on the TV).

I haven't pinned down the third access. It doesn't seem to be to a registry key, but I'm not sure. Perhaps the Metadata or MAK is used with it to unlock something else?

ezrec
03-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Ok, this is actually great stuff.

1) The 'Metadata' key is probably just a constant, specific key for the .tivo metadata chunks.

2) The 'Media' key is the MAK. This is fantasticlly cool, because it means that the MAK is directly related to decoding the MPEG2 streams.

With TOK's trampoline code, I'm now going to monitor the Turing crypto
functions, to see what values they are being passed. With luck, it'll be
some derivative of the MAK.

linux_mofo
03-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Bump! :')

Not much activity for a while. But, maybe I can infuse a little bit of info and conversation to keep things rolling.

With TOK's trampoline code, I'm now going to monitor the Turing crypto functions, to see what values they are being passed. With luck, it'll be some derivative of the MAK.Try monitoring the function at 417E6B. It's what is producing the keys (both Turing and Stream, I think). It is called from 4 different place; see the PDF I posted. The call which winds up in the Turing function which has the debug stuff converts the key to ascii (a proper "0x###.." string) and then the later function turns it back to binary. Clearly some mish-mash glueing of code from different sources. Anyways, it seems to have 3 arguments (not nessesarily in this order): input-pointer, input byte count, and output-ptr. I'm not sure if the output is twice the number of bytes as the input or what. Looking at it with REC (http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm) makes my head hurt from all the shifts and such. BTW- REC has some bugs in it when it comes to strings and references, so take it's output with a grain of salt.

weird. The one that decrypts to "tivo:<MAK>" is the same format as the user/password for the TiVo https. I feel like this is going in circles. :P I wonder how the first one ("tivo:<hex>") is used? That hex strings looks like an md5sum, but it's not an md5 of anything I could think of.Yes, but I think the Tivo Desktop software uses Calypso and not https. I think your guess about the md5sum is closer, but remember there is another key called the 'transfer' key which I bet the app uses for xfers. I think it makes sense that the xfer key and meta key are either constant or derived from the MAK. It's certainly useful and practical to creative derivative keys using one-way hashes, as it is easy for both server and client.

I hope some other folks jump in!

warewolf
04-23-2005, 03:10 PM
I totally didn't expect 'yall to have gotten this far on cracking TTG. Absolutely awesome. I just wish I had the skill to do this stuff :)

AlphaWolf
04-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmm...has anybody tried picking apart tivoapp to find if theres a way to prevent it from encrypting the .tivo files as it sends em out? You'd probably notice increased transfer speeds if you did that.

linux_mofo
04-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Nice to have some activity here again! I was rather worried when ezrec, FDM, and TOK disappeared just shortly after posting and discussing some code which mucks with the dll. The code was posted on the wiki March 21st, the last edit was March 22nd. As you can see here in the forum, the discussions abruptly stopped at that point! I hope the black-hats from Tivo corporate/legal didn't swoop in and lock them all up!

BTW- Warewolf - most of this work is rather mundane. We need more eyes and more man-hours tinkering and gathering information.

IMHO, the hacks to date posted elsewhere are all things which simply use the existing dll. It's a matter of time that the new dll will be released and make them not work. And then, a Tivo update which will make the old dll not work with new .tivo files.

Hey Alphawolf, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm sure the encryption is done on the tivo. As cool as it would be to hack the box to make it send unencrypted files, it would be MUCH better if we figured out how to not void the warranty by doing the decryption on the PC/Mac/Linux side. (btw- from what I read, most of the speed issue seems to be bandwidth related and not cpu, and the encryption doesn't seem to add much [if any] bloat to the files.)

Quick start for folks who want to jump in and poke around: Get REC (http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm), get IDA Pro [the demo is fine] (http://www.datarescue.com/), and windbg (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/). Take a look around, read what's been posted, set some breakpoints (note: rec and ida show addresses like 4xxxxx, drop the 4 and add the result to the base dll load address for the proper break point in windbg).

Anyways, we need more people gathering information, testing, and thinking... Jump in! YOU can make a difference. ;')

Jamie
04-26-2005, 11:53 PM
(btw- from what I read, most of the speed issue seems to be bandwidth related and not cpu, and the encryption doesn't seem to add much [if any] bloat to the files.)Actually, my experience has been exactly the opposite. Network transfers on the tivo tend to be cpu bound, not bandwidth bound at 10Mbps and higher. The fact that mfs_ftp transfers 4x or more faster than TTG indicates to me that encryption likely is in fact the bottleneck in TTG transfers. There's certainly room for solutions on both sides, in any case.

AlphaWolf
04-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey Alphawolf, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm sure the encryption is done on the tivo. As cool as it would be to hack the box to make it send unencrypted files, it would be MUCH better if we figured out how to not void the warranty by doing the decryption on the PC/Mac/Linux side. (btw- from what I read, most of the speed issue seems to be bandwidth related and not cpu, and the encryption doesn't seem to add much [if any] bloat to the files.)

Well, mostly what jamie said as from what I understand the ttg transfers are much slower than mfs_ftp transfers which can go as high as 4 megabytes per second. Not only that, but if you patched tivoapp, thats one less inconveniene to deal with as theres no need to decrypt on the PC side.

linux_mofo
04-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks Jamie and Alphawolf, I haven't done any benching in that area, and my network is just 10Mb anyway. The posts I've read have been from folks with crappy USB 1.x network interfaces complaining.

Still though, it would be nice not need to muck with the innerds of the Tivo to read its files, even if it's slowing the xfer down and making it a hassle to decrypt on the PC. Creating something for the typical end user to use to play the files on anything, anywhere (like with VLC) without violating warranties would be cool. Anything much past that might be self defeating for most folks

Anyways, sorry to drag this thread further off-topic! Ack! Perhaps we can take this to another thread if we want to chat more about this to reduce the noise here.

AlphaWolf
04-28-2005, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't worry much about voiding the warranty since afaik theres no more warranty sticker on units made after 2004 (at least on all tivos I've seen.) The tivo warranty is crap after 90 days anyways. Hacking the tivo is easy enough as well.

tok
05-22-2005, 05:23 PM
I think download speed is fixed (by the series 2) and is related directly to encoding quality. The higher the quality, the higher the download speed.

As for the decoding and DLL use, I stopped posting because I realized that reverse engineering the DLL is useless: they can change it and the scrambling mechanism at any time. Instead, I started using srcfilter (http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/), which will use whatever DLL you give it. Under Windows, this tool just works: .TiVo file gets converted to the raw MPEG2, using the Windows Way. They can't ever change this method because it is the very mechanism Windows uses to play the files back.

Under Linux, you need to be using bleeding-edge Wine (outta CVS) and you have to set the "TiVoToGo Media" registry entry by hand. This is produced by running the plain text of "tivo:MAK" through CryptProtectData (under Wine) with a single NULL byte (an "empty" password) for the pOptionalEntropy. Once the output of this is in the registry item, the DLL works under Linux too. I'm sure someone can cook up a quick tool to do the CryptProtectData call.

joverby540
06-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Actually, I dont think that the transfer speed is related to the quality of the encoding at all. It all depends on your network and your tivo. The fastest speed that the tivo can transfer any file over a network is about 1 meg a second. If you try to transfer two files at the same time, it will not work very well. And I do know that the encrypting is already done on the tivo, because if you would hack the older series 2 tivos you would transfer at the same speeds, but the files weren't encryped with your mak. Also, I know that a lot of people probably know this, but I think that it is really just so cool that the tivo has its own internal web page. go to the ip address of your tivo, and it will tell you that yo have correctly set up your home network. go here
https://<ip address of your tivo>/nowplaying/index.html username:tivo password: your media access key. THere you can download tv shows, and that i think proves that tivo to go doesn't encrypt shows, it is done on the tivo. You do have to have it installed to decrypt them thou.

BertTemp
02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Did you get the following to work? How do you run CryptProtectData under wine?

I think download speed is fixed (by the series 2) and is related directly to encoding quality. The higher the quality, the higher the download speed.

As for the decoding and DLL use, I stopped posting because I realized that reverse engineering the DLL is useless: they can change it and the scrambling mechanism at any time. Instead, I started using srcfilter (http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/), which will use whatever DLL you give it. Under Windows, this tool just works: .TiVo file gets converted to the raw MPEG2, using the Windows Way. They can't ever change this method because it is the very mechanism Windows uses to play the files back.

Under Linux, you need to be using bleeding-edge Wine (outta CVS) and you have to set the "TiVoToGo Media" registry entry by hand. This is produced by running the plain text of "tivo:MAK" through CryptProtectData (under Wine) with a single NULL byte (an "empty" password) for the pOptionalEntropy. Once the output of this is in the registry item, the DLL works under Linux too. I'm sure someone can cook up a quick tool to do the CryptProtectData call.

ThePerfectK
06-10-2006, 02:34 PM
New to the forum - going thru posts, and I'm curious if anyone made any more progress with this. Y'all are way smarter than me... I'm a geek, but not much of a coder, so power to the ubergeeks like yourselves...

So has the action moved somewhere's else? Or has it been abandoned? I just got a new series 2 DT and I got the TivoToGo installed, and I'm looking for the easiest (maybe cheapest) way to burn watchable dvd's of shows... I know tivo refers to the sonic deal, and I'm trying to figure out if TyTools will do what I'm after, but this seems the most promising.

cheer
06-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Do a search on DirectShowDump -- that seems to dump .tivo files into unencrypted video files. Haven't used it myself as I just use TyTool or mfs_ftp, but since the S2DT units are not yet hackable (AFAIK) that may not be an option for you.

ThePerfectK
06-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Good call. After searching around for some time, this page walked me thru the entire deal very well... I recommend it.

http://www.apecity.com/tivo/

Under preparation, I used his zip file of xmuxer, and not the proper website, and it works great. I've got MPEG2 files coming out of my pc now, which is fabulous... Thanks again.

edit: Also, in case anyone finds it useful, this is the page that started me out (and I think linked me to the above page). Props to all these guys, fo shizzle...
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/ttg.htm

Drenhead
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Has anyone got DirectShowDump to work on Linux? I tried it using Wine, but couldn't get it to work. That is all I need to get to work now.

classicsat
08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
You need TiVo Deskto installed to use DSD, as DSD uses the Directshow DLL from Tivo, as well as the DirectX framework.

Jetstream
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
From What I've read so far it looks like TivoToGo is for stand alone boxes.

Is this correct?

Do stand alones store the files as .tivo?

I have an HR10-250, which obviously is not stand alone.

I have a couple of killer HDnet concerts recorded before enabling unscrambling in the box.

Went the graphedit route and realized it works with .tivo files only.

HR10-250
3.1.5f-01-2-357

Jamie
08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
From What I've read so far it looks like TivoToGo is for stand alone boxes. Is this correct?Right. TTG/.tivo is standalone only.
I have a couple of killer HDnet concerts recorded before enabling unscrambling in the box.Sounds like you need S2_unscramble (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207).

Jetstream
08-28-2006, 12:46 PM
I've read about that too. I have the original 250gb and an added 200gb drive.

I was hoping to avoid the lba24/monte setup that's needed with S2_unscramble.

Thank you.

cheer
08-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I was hoping to avoid the lba24/monte setup that's needed with S2_unscramble.
Can't be done. But the monte isn't so bad, and FYI I've monted from the lba48-aware 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel to the 3.1.x S2_Unscramble kernel several times now without issue.

Jetstream
08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I'll give a try.

mikel1
11-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm still searching for a way to use my .tivo files on my Linux PC without having to kowtow to Mr. Gates. It sounds from this thread like the answer was found, and all that had to be done was a script to tie in some registry changes and some wine-y stuff, but I see nothing after that.

Is there a way to do this, and if so, what software do I need to install and run? I'd be happy to scriptify the results and post...

mikel1
11-25-2006, 08:19 PM
OK, I got further by rereading everything and using my brain. I installed TiVo Desktop under Wine and got srcfilter-1.7. I then ran "srcfilter.exe SpongeBob.tivo" and got an error that the DLL couldn't open the file (which I expected). So I borrowed my son's Windows machine, installed TiVo Desktop on it, put in my media key, verified that it could talk to the Tivo (and vice versa) and copied the value of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\SharingKeys\TiVoToGo Media" (by hand, thank you) and verified that. Now I get (with WINEDEBUG=crypt):

srcfilter $Revision: 1.7 $
http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/
Copyright 2005-2006, Kees Cook <kees@outflux.net>
This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Loading 'SpongeBob.tivo' ...
trace:crypt:CryptUnprotectData called
trace:crypt:report pPromptStruct: 0x61ec2c
trace:crypt:report cbSize: 0x10
trace:crypt:report dwPromptFlags: 0x0
trace:crypt:report hwndApp: (nil)
trace:crypt:report szPrompt: (nil)
trace:crypt:report dwFlags: 0x0000
trace:crypt:report pDataIn cbData: 256
trace:crypt:report pDataIn pbData @ 0x630bd8:01,00,00,00,d0,8c,9d,df,01,15,d1,11...
trace:crypt:report pOptionalEntropy cbData: 50
trace:crypt:report pOptionalEntropy pbData @ 0x630a9c:7b,42,30,41,37,39,36,31,33
,2d,44,32,32,32,2d,34,37,44,30,2d,38,39,41,43,2d,37,31,30,42,31,44,41,44,34,43,4
6,36,7d,00,2a,52,d6,9c,10,c7,01,00,00,00,00
trace:crypt:report "{B0A79613-D222-47D0-89AC-710B1DAD4CF6}\x00*R\xd6\x9c\x10\x
c7\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00"
trace:crypt:CryptUnprotectData ppszDataDescr: 0x61ec3c
trace:crypt:unserialize called
trace:crypt:valid_protect_data called
err:crypt:valid_protect_data info0 magic value not matched !
err:crypt:valid_protect_data unrecognized CryptProtectData block
fixme:crypt:CryptUnprotectData CryptUnprotectData received a DATA_BLOB that seem
s to have NOT been generated by Wine. Please enable tracing ('export WINEDEBUG=
crypt') to see details.
trace:crypt:free_protect_data called
trace:crypt:CryptUnprotectData returning FAIL
trace:crypt:CryptUnprotectData called
trace:crypt:report pPromptStruct: 0x61ec2c
trace:crypt:report cbSize: 0x10
trace:crypt:report dwPromptFlags: 0x0
trace:crypt:report hwndApp: (nil)
trace:crypt:report szPrompt: (nil)
trace:crypt:report dwFlags: 0x0000
trace:crypt:report pDataIn cbData: 256
trace:crypt:report pDataIn pbData @ 0x630bd8:01,00,00,00
Warning: DS_Filter() could not Load source file.
(DLL=C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow\TiVoDirectShowFilter
.dll, r=0x80071771)
Failed

where the "01,00,00,00,d0,8c,9d,df,01,15,d1,11..." is the value of the registry entry.

Any idea what these errors mean? Could it be that the value of the registry on the windows machine is different from what it should be on the linux box?

Thanks for any help.

mikel1
12-02-2006, 02:15 AM
http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/