PDA

View Full Version : .TiVo File DeMuxer/DeCrypter

vivamus
02-05-2005, 02:23 PM
This is a simple program I wrote to de-mux .TiVo file to .m2v and .mpa files w/o the Tivo protection.

Usage is tivo_demux.exe "input file" "output directory"

you need to have either the moonlight MPEG demuxer component (available Here (http://www.moonlight.co.il/cons_xmuxer.php) ) or the Roxio mpeg demuxer (available w/ easy-dvd creator).

It will prompt you for your Tivo playback password.

Also Requires the Dump directshow filter (available here (http://www.shspvr.com/graph_build/fm_mp3_recording.html))

EDIT: I've added the source code (its a visual studio 2k3 project) - it requires the DirectShow SDK to build.

EDIT: With thanks to Reuther, added ability to use WinXP's built-in mpeg de-muxer. This should mean that you don't have to install moonlight demuxer. However, if you have the moonlight de-muxer installed, I'm keeping that as the 1st choice, because I know it doesn't have auido sync issues. If people have success with other de-muxers, please let me know.

rung
02-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Will you be providing the source code?

Regards,
Rung

Edit: Thanks!

dB02
02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Does it have to be registered version of the Moonlight softwarE?

ronnythunder
02-05-2005, 04:09 PM
so, basically this is an automated way of doing the graphedit technique first posted on (what was it?) evillabs.com?

pretty slick!

ronny

dB02
02-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Hmm, not working for me.. crashes out.. any ideas?

texboy1981
02-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Vivamus, you are a GOD. . . .thank you so much. I actually stayed up all last night b/c I was so excited about the prospect of getting this to work, but I was messing around with GraphEdit and registering dll files most of the time, and by the time it worked, it was extremely pixelated and choppy. Oh, and did I mention that it was taking me over 45 minutes to demux and convert 1 30-minute show on basic quality?

Your little program, however, is simply awesome. I have no errors, works great, and is usually finished with 1 of my Simpsons episodes within 2 minutes. Thank you, Thank you Thank you :D :D

Now, all I have to do is ENCODE the audio and the video files together so that they may become one joined file. . .. am I correct in assuming this? I am familiar with programming and such, but never done much with multimedia until last night.

Michael

dB02
02-05-2005, 05:35 PM
texboy: How did you go about it? I get an error

The Only Druid
02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
V
Now, all I have to do is ENCODE the audio and the video files together so that they may become one joined file. . .. am I correct in assuming this? I am familiar with programming and such, but never done much with multimedia until last night.

Actually, you're going to 'mux' the audio and video files together. This is different from encoding, because there is no actual change to their data (they're just muxed into a single file). If you 'encoded' something, you actually changed the data (e.g. compressing it). There are several utilities to do this (have a look at the tools section at www.dvdrhelp.com )

Fugg
02-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Now, all I have to do is ENCODE the audio and the video files together so that they may become one joined file. . .. am I correct in assuming this? Not really. You just have to mux the elemental files together.

I always use to use mplex. Here's mplex1.6, although I'm sure there's a newer version out now.

edit:
bcc posted a link to a better version below

Fugg
02-05-2005, 06:23 PM
nevermind..

bcc
02-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Over here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196972&postcount=64
includes a windows mplex binary that doesn't require cygwin. Claims it runs faster than the cygwin version (and you don't have to worry about cygwin1.dll revision compatibility issues).

vivamus
02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
For those of you getting error messages, it would help if you could message me w/ the error or post it here. One thing to double check is to make sure that you have both the Moonlight DeMux AND the Dump DirectShow filters installed correctly. The program SHOULD give an error message saying that it couldn't create them if they're not installed on you system, but I've never tried it w/o them.

EDIT:

dB02: I'm using the pre-release version of the moonlight demuxer that I linked to in the first post - the CLSID for the filter is hard-coded into the app. I don't know if any other version of the demux filter will work - I would assume if they have the same input/outputs and CLSID's that they would.

cwhogan
02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Forgive me for this question, but was the EXE removed? All I see are RAR files. I renamed the RAR to EXE but it didn't work. What is a RAR file?

Jamie
02-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Forgive me for this question, but was the EXE removed? All I see are RAR files. I renamed the RAR to EXE but it didn't work. What is a RAR file?It's a compressed file container (for example, like a zip file). Search for "rar" in google.

texboy1981
02-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Forgive me for this question, but was the EXE removed? All I see are RAR files. I renamed the RAR to EXE but it didn't work. What is a RAR file?

RAR files are, loosly speaking, like zip files. You wouldn't just change the extension of a .zip to .exe to run it . . . you'd unzip it, right? The same goes for .rar. I use WinRar, and in all honesty, I'm not sure if it's free ware, share ware, or whatever ware, but I do know that I've had it for a long time, and it's worked everytime I've needed it to.

Here is the installation file for it if you want.

Reuther
02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
The standard mpeg2 splitter (mpg2splt.ax) that comes with Windows (XP at least) seems to work fine. (tested in graphedit and in your program)

The CLSID is {3AE86B20-7BE8-11D1-ABE6-00A0C905F375}.

dB02
02-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Question: How do i properly install the dump.ax file?

Another Question: How hard would it be to setup a batch process to demux the .tivos then encode them to DiVx?

imame
02-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Question: How do i properly install the dump.ax file?You want to use regsvr32.exe on the filter. Here's a link (http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/12013.aspx) to a site that steps thru using regsrv32 to manually register a filter.

Big thanks for this. :) Using this along with moding my TivoDirectShowFilter.dll, to auto-enter password, saves alot of time. Not to be greedy, but is there a chance you may do a build that dumps a multiplxed mpg?

I've have good results using the method from evillabs.net. I'm using Moonlight's M71 multiplexer and DumpPOS filters. I did change the settings of the M71 so it wasn't DVD, as this caused the filesize to balloon with padding. By not using DVD(still program stream) I'm able to turn off padding for the audio and video pins. I've not had any AV sync issues with my test files so far.

For those interested in modding your TivoDirectShowFilter.dll, you'll need resource hacker (http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/). I got the instructions from a google search, so this is not my creation and credit goes to others.

Make a backup of the TivoDirectShowFilter.dll
Open up the dll in Resource Hacker.
edit Dialog->MEDIAPASSWORDDIALOG->1033
Change the following line of code:
CONTROL "", 10, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 88, 76, 112, 10
To:
CONTROL "password", 10, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 88, 76, 112, 10
Note:The password is your text password, not your MAK.
Compile the script and save the file.

Now when you open a .tivo file your password will already be entered. You just need to hit OK.

I personally stopped here for a while to troubleshot, as you can see the Tivo dialog popup. This is usefull to visually ensure that the .tivo is actually being decrypted, if you're passing it to an app like tivo_demux. You can get it to hit OK automatically by following the aditional changes below.
Replace any of the text lines(they're the first three) with:
CONTROL "o", 1, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 88, 76, 112, 10
Compile the script and save the file.

Since the "o" key acitvates the OK button and the 1 represents the first action it will submit the password.
Now you don't have to deal with the Tivo Password dialog box every time you want to watch/access a .tivo file!

PS:I added the line of code(auto-OK) after the last text line, so it became the 4th control line. This way I didn't destroy any of the text if I wish to make changes later. The DLL seems to work fine with 8 "control" lines, so why not just add it rather than replacing. Hope someone finds this usefull. Just wanted to try and add something to the forums, as they've helped me so much.

vivamus
02-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Heres a script to automate the decrpyting of .TiVo files. Put the files from tivo_decrypt_script.rar into the same directory as tivo_decode.exe from the first post. Then edit tivo_decrpyt.js with something like notepad, and replace on the first line blank with your tivo password. For instance, it might look like
var password="mypassword"; - the semicolon is important! Then run with:

cscript (path to file)\tivo_decrypt.js "input file" "output folder"
example: cscript "c:\temp\tivo_decrpyt.js" "c:\temp\tivo_show.tivo" "c:\temp"

and out will come a nice, de-crpyted .mpg file of the .Tivo show you started with!

And thanks to Rowan for the native windows mplex.exe.

dB02
02-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Just scrolling.. Waiting for password dialog?

vivamus
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Just scrolling.. Waiting for password dialog?

when the script runs, look for the line that says "Exec String="

look at the bit after the = sign - you should be able to run that at the command prompt to de-mux the tivo file. whats happening is either a) you don't have one of the neccsary directshow filters installed b) for some reason the tivo_demux.exe file isn't where it should be or c) the input file or output directory aren't there/aren't valid. To figure out which of the above it is, just type in the stuff that's after the equal sign but before the "Waiting for password dialog..." bit. It should pretty much tell you the problem.

dB02
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Now here is what I get when running the string...

Input File=I:\tilt_jan_13.TiVo
Audio Output=i:\tilt_jan_13.mpa
Video Output=i:\tilt_jan_13.m2v
Created Elecard Moonlight DeMuxer
Failure Creatiing Audio Dump, Exiting

dB02
02-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Hmm got past that error by reinstalling dump.ax... Now it pops up an error that I am un authorized to use the recording... different MAK

Never gives a chance to enter p/w

vivamus
02-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Hmm got past that error by reinstalling dump.ax... Now it pops up an error that I am un authorized to use the recording... different MAK

Never gives a chance to enter p/w

Have you edited the tivo_decrypt.js file and put your password in instead of blank on the first line? The script automatically takes care of the password box - but you have to edit the script (notepad will work!) to use your password. For example, line one might read:

var password="my password";

If you have, then that error usuallly is an indication that the Tivo Directshow filter can't find the input file - I would double check the input file part - and make sure that you put double quotes around it (the input file AND output directory).

dB02
02-06-2005, 04:08 PM
bah I am an ***** didnt have trailing slash

hmmm working now w/o trailing slash.. trailing slash made it mess up @ ReMultiplexing seems to be going now. thanks

another question though, how hard would it be to write a script that will do the whole directory of files? Would that be possible? I am going for full automation downloading w/ JavaHMO and then if I could automatically strip the DRM that would be nice.

vivamus
02-06-2005, 05:58 PM
dB02 - try this version. it should process all the .tivo files in a directory. just put it in the same dir as mplex.exe and tivo_demux.exe.

usage is:

cscript tivo_decrypt_dir.js "input_dir" "output_dir"

dsmith0996
02-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I was able to get "tivo demux" to work, but no matter what program I use to Mux then, the audio is out of sync. I have tried mplex and TMPGenc. Any suggestions?

Danny

vivamus
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM

look at the bit after the = sign - you should be able to run that at the command prompt to de-mux the tivo file. whats happening is either a) you don't have one of the neccsary directshow filters installed b) for some reason the tivo_demux.exe file isn't where it should be or c) the input file or output directory aren't there/aren't valid. To figure out which of the above it is, just type in the stuff that's after the equal sign but before the "Waiting for password dialog..." bit. It should pretty much tell you the problem.

try this - and then let me know what DeMux filter its using. I know the elecard moonlight demux filter works and the audio syncs fine. I seem to remember testing the roxio filter and having it working, but I haven't tested the built-in WindowsXP DeMux filter. If thats what you're using, I'd suggest getting the DeMuxer I linked to in the first post in this thread.

cejay
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I have edited out the word BLANK in the .js file.. and replaced
it with my password..

i run the script..

(i dont use paths or quotes everything is in the same dir
.tivo files, .js file, and tivo_demux.exe and mplex.exe"

The script starts and I get a waiting for password dialog over and over..

I ALSO tried to find tivodirectshow filter .dll to edit it with the password added.. and i cant find the file tivo directshow filter . dll.. where is
it stored? i have looked everywhere.
What program loads it? tivo desktop?
thanks
cj

vivamus
02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I have edited out the word BLANK in the .js file.. and replaced
it with my password..

i run the script..

(i dont use paths or quotes everything is in the same dir
.tivo files, .js file, and tivo_demux.exe and mplex.exe"

The script starts and I get a waiting for password dialog over and over..

I ALSO tried to find tivodirectshow filter .dll to edit it with the password added.. and i cant find the file tivo directshow filter . dll.. where is
it stored? i have looked everywhere.
What program loads it? tivo desktop?
thanks
cj

see my above post (#28 I think). Run the stuff to the left of the "Execute_String=" - it should tell you the problem.

cejay
02-07-2005, 01:16 PM
I am not sure how to use the mplex program
can someone tell me an example of
how to put the .mpa and m2v files that demux makes together?
i want a standard mpeg2 like graphedit would make when done
cj

cejay
02-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I got the .js file to work

i typed

cscript tivo_decrypt.js mytivo.tivo c:\tivodemuxdir\
and it all worked..

I had left off the \ after c:\tivodemuxdir

added it.. and the script worked fine.
thanks
cj
didnt have to use quotes or anything anywhere.

cejay
02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I thought that worked..
the .js file loaded the password after about 3 waiting for password prompts..
but in the end.. the .js ended with error..

"Waiting for password dialog...
DeMuxing & Decoding File...
Re-Multiplexing file to MPEG: command="c:\demux\mplex.exe" -f 9 -o "c:\mympeg.mpg" "c:\demux\\mympeg.m2v" "c:\demux\\mympeg.mpa"
Cleaning up.
c:\demux\dec.js(37, 1) Microsoft JScript runtime error: File not found"

The \\ dont look right, and when i am finished the .mpa and m2v are not in the demux directory" which is where is have the .js file and mplex and tivo_demux and the .tivo file

i ran it with
cscript tivo_decypt.js mympeg.tivo c:\demux\
and all went fine as you see.. but then the crash at the end..
and no output files in dir.

I assume the mympeg.mpg file is what i should see at the end... with the mpa and m2v files deleted..but whats wrong now?
cj

imame
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I ALSO tried to find tivodirectshow filter .dll to edit it with the password added.. and i cant find the file tivo directshow filter . dll.. where is it stored Sorry for getting back to you so late, but... It's called:
TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll
notice the lack of spaces. On my XP setup it's stored under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow". I'd difinitely edit it in two steps, like I suggested. Since you are still making sure your setup(script, etc) works the way you desired. Also I'm not sure how vivamus's script will react to no dialog, or even just password auto-inserted, as I haven't tried the script yet. Still I'm sure you could edit the script to remove the parts that insert the password if needed.

mikestanley
02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Yep, it was a problem with the dump filter. Unregistered the one I had in \windows\system32, renamed it, and placed the one you linked to there, registered it, and now everything works.

You rock.

(Leaving the original message in case somebody else is as dumb as I was.)

Ok, here goes. Just tried the app a few times, both with and without the script - get an error each time. I knew I was also running the pre-release Moonlight demuxer, but just to be sure I followed your link and reinstalled it.

Looks like I may have some problem with the dump filter?

Failure Creating Audio Dump,Exiting

I actually noticed that while I have dump.ax registered and sitting in c:\windows\system32, what I've actually been using as a dump filter within GraphEdit is the mpeg2 dump filter that comes with SageTV. I can't find DUMP under DirectShow filters in GraphEdit - any ideas?

For those of you getting error messages, it would help if you could message me w/ the error or post it here. One thing to double check is to make sure that you have both the Moonlight DeMux AND the Dump DirectShow filters installed correctly. The program SHOULD give an error message saying that it couldn't create them if they're not installed on you system, but I've never tried it w/o them.

brad.23
02-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi, I'm interested in using this (if it is an automated version of the GraphEdit process) but don't know how. When I download the file and double-click it, the computer doesn't know what to open it with. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the file type. Also, does this create a DVD compliant MPEG2 that I can cut the commercials with in my MPEG2 editor, VideoReDo? Any help would be great. Thanks.

brad.23
02-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Alright, I figured out I had to extract the file. I did that with WinRAR and then tried to run it. I get a quick flash of a command prompt window which quickly disappears. Now what? Thanks again.

texboy1981
02-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Alright, I figured out I had to extract the file. I did that with WinRAR and then tried to run it. I get a quick flash of a command prompt window which quickly disappears. Now what? Thanks again.

Ok, that "quick flash" of the cmd that you see almost ALWAYS means that whatever you tried to run, should be run using the command prompt.
The reason being that windows executes the code, and regardless of what the outcome is, whether success or fail, once the code has been executed, windows has no reason to keep the window open.

Here's What to do:
(Since you didn't state which file you want to execute, I can not be too specific in my directions)

* Start --> Run --> CMD
* Navigate to the directory where you have the file that you want to run.
* Type out in dos prompt, exactly what the batch file expects in terms of inputs.

For example, if you're referring to tivo_demux.exe, then, as Vivamus stated in his original post, (who, by the way, geniusly created this :)) you must type out the following information tivo_demux.exe "input file" "output directory"

so, if I extracted the rar file to C:\TiVoMux and my .TiVo files are in C:\TiVo and I want to output to a directory at C:\Movies, I would type out EXACTLY the following at the Dos Prompt :

C:\TiVoMux> tivo_demux.exe c:\TiVo\PowerPuffGirls.TiVo c:\movies

Doing this, which might take a minute or two, will produce 2 files in the c:\movies directory. PowerPuffGirls.mpa (audio only) and PowerPuffGirls.m2v (video only) . . . . .

For what to do next . . . . reread this entire threat a couple of times, I'm confident that you'll find at least a small light, to guide you in the right direction.

TexBoy

TheViper
02-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I have succesfully used the "tivo_demux.exe" program. I notice that the audio stream sounds nearly identical to the original '.Tivo' file, which it should.

The interesting thing is that when I use Graphedit to manually do this process, the audio stream comes out with small popping sounds on the higher amplitude noises, as if they are being clipped. It does this even if I do not use the Tivo PCM booster module. The volume level sounds about the same as "Tivo_demux.exe", except Graphedit has slightly clipped audio output.

My curiousity would like to know what is done differently between the two programs. I have attached a picture of the Graph that I am using. Do you see anything that I have done wrong?

I would like to use Graphedit with the addition of the PCM Booster because my volume levels are too low, but if I am getting clipped audio without the PCM Booster there is no way that I can use it with the PCM Booster.

Vivamus...is there a way you could add the Tivo PCM Booster into your script?

imame
02-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm no expert on this, but I believe the PCM Boost filter gets added any time an encrypted .tivo file is accessed. It may not show-up in your graph, at least not connected, but I believe it always there. Much like the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll doesn't show, even though it's in use.

Anyway, the obvious thing about your graph is that you don't need the "Moonlight Odio Decoder". Doing it that way adds another step to the audio processing and may be the source of your destortion. You want to connect the audio-out pin of the Moonlight Demuxer directly to the audio-in pin of the M71 Muxer.

As for what that should look like, just take a look at the graph/instructions at http://www.evillabs.net/tivo/

brad.23
02-10-2005, 01:08 PM
texboy, thanks for your help. I'm almost there.
When I do this, it tries to start, but it says "Failure Creating Audio Dump, exiting"
I've used the GraphEdit process with some kind of 'Moonlight Dump' and it worked. I've tried the link on this thread to get that 'dump', but I get a time out. Next step?

brad.23
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
alright, I have the dump.ax file unzipped, where do i need to put it for this to work?
thanks

brad.23
02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
sorry for all the posts.
i found a dump filter and successfully demuxed the file.
now i just need to get the video and audio together in an mpeg2.
i've looked through this thread and forum and found nothing.
any ideas?
i tried to open the video in videoredo, but no luck.
if i have to go through another lengthy process to get the two files together than this is no faster than the graphedit process for me.
thanks in advance.

atom12
02-12-2005, 08:07 AM
After lots of poking around, this is as far as i get. I imagine it means i'm missing a filter. I'll never know unless i ask. I'm running it all from the same dir, except the end result should go to c:/
It does create "dempa" and "dem2v" 0 byte files in c:/
Ideas?

C:\tivo>tivo_demux.exe defs.h c:/
Argument 1: defs.h
Argument 2: c:/
Input File=defs.h
Audio Output=c:\dempa
Video Output=c:\dem2v
Created Audio DumpCreated Audio Dump
Created Video Dump
Created Video Dump
Created Graph Builder
Error Builder Graph(connecting source to demux), ExitingError Builder Graph(connection demux to video dump), ExitingError Builder Graph(connection demux to audio dump), ExitingDeMuxing file....

atom12
02-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Haha, I found my problem. It doesn't just try to convert all .tivo files in the dir. It's trying to convert ALL files in the dir. Works great, thanks :D

shaja02
02-12-2005, 09:49 AM
where do u get the tivo_decode

TheViper
02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm no expert on this, but I believe the PCM Boost filter gets added any time an encrypted .tivo file is accessed. It may not show-up in your graph, at least not connected, but I believe it always there. Much like the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll doesn't show, even though it's in use.

Anyway, the obvious thing about your graph is that you don't need the "Moonlight Odio Decoder". Doing it that way adds another step to the audio processing and may be the source of your destortion. You want to connect the audio-out pin of the Moonlight Demuxer directly to the audio-in pin of the M71 Muxer.

As for what that should look like, just take a look at the graph/instructions at http://www.evillabs.net/tivo/
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the PCM Boost gets added to the graph and it creates a box in the graph for it. I removed the "Moonlight Odio Decoder" and that was the source of the distortion.

Vivamus...question for you: When I use Graphedit to create the "M2V" and "MPA"files, I can mux them together using "mplex" or Tmpgenc and both streams are perfectly synchronized.

When I use the tivo_demux.exe to creat the "M2V" and "MPA" files, the mux'ed MPEG is out of sync no matter what program I use to mux them with.

Can you think of anything that tivo_demux.exe would be doing differently than Graphedit that would cause this problem? I am using Moonlight codecs in Graphedit.

Grimrichard
02-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I've successfully done the demuxing and muxing and ended up with a very viable video file. I did this without understanind even one step of the process...and I hate that.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains the all this muxing stuff?

vivamus
02-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the PCM Boost gets added to the graph and it creates a box in the graph for it. I removed the "Moonlight Odio Decoder" and that was the source of the distortion.

Vivamus...question for you: When I use Graphedit to create the "M2V" and "MPA"files, I can mux them together using "mplex" or Tmpgenc and both streams are perfectly synchronized.

When I use the tivo_demux.exe to creat the "M2V" and "MPA" files, the mux'ed MPEG is out of sync no matter what program I use to mux them with.

Can you think of anything that tivo_demux.exe would be doing differently than Graphedit that would cause this problem? I am using Moonlight codecs in Graphedit.

Sort of ... because the moonlight mux filter documentation isn't available, and hence I cant programmatically remux the audio and video, I dump them seperataly to files. Its possible (depending on your system) that DirectShow isn't keeping great time (i.e the audio runs fast and the video slow, or something else) - this is something that is noted in at least in some AVISynth filters. Its possible if you adjust the playback rates that you could get everthing to sync.

rickytv
02-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all the useful info! Have been using the scripts and tools to edit my .dll (saves trying to type using a remote when playing back on TV) and to batch convert my video to allow me to reencode the files for playback using a MediaMVP.

The sad thing is, the time and money I spent for tools to do this would have gone straight to TiVO's pocket if they had let me do these sorts of things directly without all the fooling around. If I could have backed up files from my TiVO and put them back on to play later I could have bought two new TiVOs with lifetime subscriptions rather than a new PC with Windows (so I could run TivoDesktop) and a Hauppauge PVR 350 and a couple MediaMVP devices.

Just guess I don't understand the Business Case that says this is the way to go - unless they really don't understand their users that well?

Anyway, thanks again!

olhu
02-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Weird, I get the D2V file and the mpa file properly... or it seems proper.

And then I TMPGEnc doesnt recognize it. Any thoughts? I tried to re-mux via the other program, it crashed 15 minutes (of show time) in on its 2nd file griping about not seeing stuff. And the resultant file cant be imported to TMPGEnc either.

Any thoughts?
-o

texboy1981
02-15-2005, 03:21 PM
I've been successful in demuxing and remuxing the .TiVo files to .mpeg using three methods . . . .. using GraphEdit, and both of Vivamus' scipts.
Using GraphEdit the quality seems to be poor, however, using Vivamus' scripts, it's awesome!

One problem seems to exist for me only, I guess, and I don't know what is wrong. Using the scripts, if I convert a 30 minute show, it always stops converting after 18 minutes -- so I end up with an 18 minute clip. On a 2 hour program, I get 38 minutes. The problem seems to come from remuxing the files into MPEG using MPLEX, and not from denuxing them into m2v and mpa as those 2 files are complete if I were to watch them individually.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :confused:

vivamus
02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I've been successful in demuxing and remuxing the .TiVo files to .mpeg using three methods . . . .. using GraphEdit, and both of Vivamus' scipts.
Using GraphEdit the quality seems to be poor, however, using Vivamus' scripts, it's awesome!

One problem seems to exist for me only, I guess, and I don't know what is wrong. Using the scripts, if I convert a 30 minute show, it always stops converting after 18 minutes -- so I end up with an 18 minute clip. On a 2 hour program, I get 38 minutes. The problem seems to come from remuxing the files into MPEG using MPLEX, and not from denuxing them into m2v and mpa as those 2 files are complete if I were to watch them individually.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :confused:

Its a problem with mplex, which can be fixed if you put a %d in the ouput filename to let mplex output multiple files (ie -o filename%d.mpg). Absolutely no idea why though.

texboy1981
02-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Thank you Vivamus, I will try it tonight when I get home and post my progress.

Just out of curiosity, what dynamic data does the %d contain?

Thank you

vivamus
02-16-2005, 12:49 AM
the %d is just for numbering - wherever you put the %d in the ouput filename, as mplex breaks the output file into multiple pieces (I still have no idea why), it will auto-number. For Example - output file for mplex=test%d.mpg, output files from mplex=test1.mpg,test2.mpg, etc.

olhu
02-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Where are the Vivimus scripts? I tried the demux and mux loops, are those the one you're talking about? I get Mpegs I can view on the PC, but TCMPEng doesnt seem to recognize them.
-o

mr.klaw
02-16-2005, 09:03 PM
When I demuxed a .tivo file using this tool, the extensions on the m2v and mpa files seemed to be reversed. The audio file had the m2v filename and the video file had the mpa filename. Has anyone else seen this?

Lost Dutchman
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
When I run the script it outputs a .mpg file which will play in media player. Does anyone know of a good editor to use, free is always better.

I never got the two files that I have read about, I just get this .mpg file.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions about an editor.

rickytv
02-17-2005, 10:21 AM
On the Moonlight filters, I've seen some reports that after the trial period ends that you will start seeing a pattern of white pixels in any generated MPEG files. But I wasn't clear if that happened only if you used the XMuxer tool or if the filters themselves do this.

For that matter, are folks seeing much difference between the Moonlight filters and what you get from other MPEG2 encode/decode filters? I suspect I'm using the ones that I got with TMPGenc - since I didn't install XMuxer on the new machine - but if the Moonlight ones are better I'm willing to look into that.

TIA!

mr.klaw
02-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I must have been on crack the first time. When I demuxed a new show with tivo_demux.exe it worked fine.

Wolfeman
02-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Which programs are you using to Mux the MpA and M2v files back together?
is it only Moonlight?

rickytv
02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
the %d is just for numbering - wherever you put the %d in the ouput filename, as mplex breaks the output file into multiple pieces (I still have no idea why), it will auto-number.

Any way to tell mplex NOT to break into multiple pieces? If not, how do you add the %d to the script so it doesn't mess things up? I tried to change it by changing the mplex command line to name+"%d"+".mpg", but that didn't seem to work.

FWIW...

Zich
02-18-2005, 12:14 AM
I have created a program to automate this process a bit more. This is basically a command line wrapper for the original tivo_decrypt.js script. It allows you to drag and drop .TiVo files onto it, and it will spit out .mpg's.

There's a bunch of path stuff going on here, so I wouldn't be surprised if it broke under some configurations... so just post if it breaks on you.

Please read the readme file in the zip for more instructions.

poltergiest
02-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I am having the same issues my 1 hour show is only coming out as 4 minutes after tivo_decrypt.js runs mplex, I have tried to put %d inside the quotes ("+name+%d".mpg, "+name%d+".mpg) and outside the quotes.

I seem to be having the same issues as a few other people.

One big question remains once I have shows that are split how to I combine them again to get one large file......duhh as I typed that it hit me, move the files to the iMovie and let it do all the work :)

TexSable
02-18-2005, 02:22 AM
EDIT: 22-feb-2005 If you're looking for TiVo2MPG, keep going down this thread...I posted a new link in this message (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211670&postcount=80).

EDIT: Just FYI, the reason I created this as opposed to using the .js wrapper is that some people (myself included) have disabled windows scripting for security reasons....

---begin Readme---
This is a not-feature-complete version of TiVo2MPG. It
still needs some work, but is functional as presented.

The program does not check for the existance of
tivo_demux.exe or mplex.exe, or dump.ax. You'll have
to find those yourself, until I have time to track down
permissions to redistribute.

It reads the registry to find the default download
folder for TiVo Desktop, asks for your Playback
Password, then opens "file open" dialogs for the source
.TiVo file and the save name of the resulting .mpg file.

It's been tested with some strange characters in the
file name, and appears to handle normal quote escapes
fine.

After processing, the user is asked if they want to
delete the demuxed audio and video streams, then asks
to delete the original .TiVo file.

It's compiled from a WinBatch script, and will drop a
single DLL and this README in the same directory with
the tivo2mpg.exe.

Simply place somewhere on your disk and run.

If you find any problems, please email
rac-tivo2mpg (at) noidea (dot) us.

amish126
02-19-2005, 12:43 AM
The tivo2mpg.exe is working great for me... I had forgotten to register dump at first, but once that was taken care of everything ran smoothly. Now to figure out what software to use to cut commercials and get this thing on DVD...

UPDATE: Oh I get it. Now it's creating the MPG with the non-cygwin mplex. So far, so good... will check output in a few.

Another UPDATE (Badnews): Resulting MPG had constantly stuttering audio. Audio would only play smoothly until the video appeared, and then nothing of use. Original .TIVO still plays back fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

FINAL of the night: Trying again with cygwin1.dll version of mplex

TexSable
02-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Guess I forgot to mention...I was using this with the tivo_demux from the beginnig of this thread, and the mplex.exe from the package that bcc linked to here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208734&postcount=11).

The mplex switch is '-f 9', hard-coded in the script. (I'm not really sure what that means, I took it from another post in this thread.)

I'm also using the native XP demuxer and the dump filter mentioned earlier. My rendering so far has been successful, although I've only been playing with 1/2 hour episodes at medium quality. I plan to do some more extensive testing this weekend and possibly post an updated, more flexible version of the wrapper program by Monday.

Dabulls19
02-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Texsable - Nice job! working great for me minus one thing.

I've had to make the output file filename%d.mpg and it seems to be making two .mpg files. (One for about a second, the other will have the rest.) Otherwise mplex would run for about a second and I'd get the 1sec video only. Not sure why this is happening. I got the idea of "%d" from previous posts on this thread. No problem with audio sync.

On another topic, can anyone recommend a good program to author DVD's with .mpg files. My goal is not to lose quality and most programs have to reencode a mpg and hence lose quality. TMPGEnc won't accept these .mpg's because of resolution issues (480x480 not accepted) and TyTools dies while trying to make a key file. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mmmfishies
02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I use DVDLab (using the relaxed multiplexer) and I'm reasonably happy with it. It *will* demultiplex the MPG file upon import and remultiplex it before authoring the DVD, but there's no reencoding involved and no loss of quality.

Rob

Wolfeman
02-19-2005, 03:08 PM
FYI

Just for I tried something I thought wouldnt work:

Uploaded a show from TivoToGo
Opened Sonic MyDVD which came with my PC 4 Yrs ago
Click on Make new DVD
Added the Tivo Video file ( It does ask for the password 1 time)
Created a Menu
and a couple hours later I had a working DVD that plays in any DVD Player with my Tivo movies and a Menu

I dont understand why I have been killing myself trying to learn how to do many of the processes that have been discussed here, when I already had an automated program that works perfectly!

Just wanted to share, incase some of you wanted to try this out.

rickytv
02-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I dont understand why I have been killing myself trying to learn how to do many of the processes that have been discussed here, when I already had an automated program that works perfectly!

Glad that works for you. I also have the Sonic product, and I'm sure if I wanted to burn a DVD I'd be ok. Problem is that I want to not have a ton of discs to sort through. And if you try to export an MPEG-2 from Sonic it tells you that since the original file was protected it can't let you do that. All you can do with the file is build a DVD.

FWIW...

poltergiest
02-20-2005, 02:26 AM
One big question remains once I have shows that are split how to I combine them again to get one large file......duhh as I typed that it hit me, move the files to the iMovie and let it do all the work :)

I played with the mplex some more today and yet I still get only 4 minutes of a 1 hour movie, but I did figure out that instead I could move the .m2v and .mpa to the G5 and import it in to toast to mux the files back together in a DVD format, also I could use final cut pro or iMovie and edit it once that was done.

edernest
02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
dB02 - try this version. it should process all the .tivo files in a directory. just put it in the same dir as mplex.exe and tivo_demux.exe.

usage is:

cscript tivo_decrypt_dir.js "input_dir" "output_dir"

This version sounds great... but I can't get it to work. I am able to run the command that follows Exec String on it's own, but if I run the script I get the "Waiting for password dialog" error. Also, I noticed that it seems to try to process non .tivo files as well, though it seems the script is trying to check for that. Not sure what is up. Any more advice on this?

[UPDATE]

I guess it must have been a permissions thing or something. I created two new temp directories to run the script on at the root of my drive, and it runs as expected. The script must run as system user or something other than me that does not have permission to access the source dir I was using.

LouSig
02-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Guys,

I'm trying to remux the files m2v and mpa files created by any of the above methods for extraction into two files. When using mplex to hook the files back together using the command line below:

mplex -f 9 -o file1.mpg file1.m2v file1.mpa

I keep getting the following errors, after a few seconds :confused: , it does however create a file that will play, and the audio is in sync with the video. Both files will play separately just fine.

++ WARN: [???] Discarding incomplete final frame MPEG audio stream c0!
**ERROR: [???] INTERNAL ERROR: droplast empty AU buffer

I'm using the following version of mplex:
mjpegtools mplex-2 version 2.0.0 (2.2.3)

Iím very new to this and not really sure where to start trouble shooting as I think itís the extraction process thatís causing the problem.

Thanks

texboy1981
02-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Guys,

I'm trying to remux the files m2v and mpa files .......

mplex -f 9 -o file1.mpg file1.m2v file1.mpa

**ERROR: [???] INTERNAL ERROR: droplast empty AU buffer

I'm using the following version of mplex:
mjpegtools mplex-2 version 2.0.0 (2.2.3)

LouSig, Welcome to my hell :mad:
This, too, has been my problem, and I have tried just about every single option that mplex offers, practically in every possible combination, and some output files are muxed better than others, but NEVER the complete thing. I also get the >>INTERNAL ERROR: droplast empty AU buffer<<

Here is what I've been doing now . . . . . this might be rather bizzare, but hey, it's getting what I need done!

When you demux the .TiVo file into m2v and mpa . . . I no longer use mplex to mux into mpeg. I use Moonlight XMuxer MFC Application 2.03 trial version. However, the funny thing with that is as soon as I hit START to begin muxing, I get a windows error stating that the XMuxer has done an illegal operation and needs to shut down. DON'T CLICK END PROGRAM. Just wait . . . . . even though the XMuxer is dead, it is still doing its job. You can keep checking the output directory and see that the .mpg file keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Now I just use the HDD light on my PC to tell me when it's done. When it's no longer flashing, I can safely assume that it's done muxing. The process takes about 6-7 minutes for a 1 hour show.

Hope this helps hehehe.

Jack.R.Abbit
02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I've tried all the above scripts/programs and they sem to be working alright until it gets to the remux part. Either I get one mpg that is only the first few seconds or I get a series of verious length mpgs (using the %d method). I get no errors. it seems tobe doing it job except for the final step. Has any one been able to get the entire .tivo=>.mpg file? If so, any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

rickytv
02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
It seems hit or miss on whether I get the whole file after mplex or just partial.

Thought about adding the %d option, but was having trouble figuring out how to rewrite the .js to add it properly. Of course you then have several .mpg files you have to stitch together.

Am now looking for some program that will allow me to just do the demux with the tivo_demux program and then remux the resulting .m2v and .mpa files. I had hoped TMPGenc 3.0 XPress might let me do that, but so far I haven't figured out how.

FWIW...

Dabulls19
02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
....then remux the resulting .m2v and .mpa files.

You can try Moonlight's ][Muxer 2.03 (http://www.elecard.com/products/xmuxer.shtml)
. It's shareware and will let you mux together .m2v & .mpa files into a .mpg file. I've had success with it in combination with tivo_demux.exe

rickytv
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Actually I've found a decent free tool - "ImagoMPEG-Muxer" - which was listed over at VideoHelp.com.

Almost have a system that works now :-)

TexSable
02-22-2005, 01:05 AM
I now have version 0.7 of TiVo2MPG (t2m) released. It's available at http://www.noidea.us/article.php/tivo2mpg. It's now a setup application that installs to Program Files (by default), and expects tivo_demux.exe and mplex.exe to be in it's application directory (it checks and dies if they don't exist). It also checks for the registration of dump.ax, via it's CLSID, and it works on my home PC, but I don't guarantee that for everyone...hopefully the CLSID doesn't change from one machine to the next.

If you try this, please let me know how it works out for you via email (rac-tivo2mpg (at) noidea (dot) us) or via the forums at http://www.noidea.us/.

++Revision: 0.7 -- 21 feb 2005

NOTE: THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON WINDOWS XP PRO. THERE ARE NO
GUARANTEES THAT IT WILL WORK PERIOD, MUCH LESS ON ANY OTHER VERSIONS
OF WINDOWS.

+Set up some initial error checking:
-requires existance of tivo_demux.exe and mplex.exe
in application directory (default c:\program files\tivo2mpg)
-looks for dump.ax registration (at CLSID
{36A5F770-FE4C-11CE-A8ED-00AA002FEAB5} for existance)

+Now reads an ini file at %WINDIR%\tivo2mpg.ini
-default settings are:
app_path="c:\program files\tivo2mpg"
mplex_switches="-f 9"
decode_pw="xx"
-if you don't want to be prompted for the password,
change "xx" to your password. I'll attempt to
automate this in future setups.

+Added license.txt file.

Zornwil
02-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Just a comment re mplex - if you use the "-M" switch you get one file instead of multiple. If you don't want huge files (e..g, say you're not on an NTFS drive and can't handle files > 4 GB) use the "-S (n)" switch where (n) = MBs you want the greatest file size to be. This works well.

rickytv
02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Anyone else having the problem where tivo_demux generates an Application Error and the "friendly" requestor about sending a report to Microsoft on certain files? It doesn't appear to be related to file size, it doesn't seem to happen after X number of files, and the ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps there are file flaws that don't affect playback but do affect parsing.

At least it is consistent that once it crashes on a file it always crashes on that file.

Am going to go to GraphEdit on one of those later today to see if I get the same response, but am curious to know if it's "just me".

texboy1981
02-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Anyone else having the problem where tivo_demux generates an Application Error and the "friendly" requestor about sending a report to Microsoft on certain files? It doesn't appear to be related to file size, it doesn't seem to happen after X number of files, and the ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps there are file flaws that don't affect playback but do affect parsing.".

Ricky, I started having the same problem, but I was able to resolve it.

I don't know what happened to tivo_demux, but I redownloaded it from the very first post by vivamus on this thread, and haven't had a problem with it since.

I guess I could have looked into it further, but I was just happy that it was working again :D

Jack.R.Abbit
02-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I have found that tivo_demux is very particular about the file path and output path. The same tivo file in dfferent locations... one will crash it, the other won't. At first it seemed to dislike spaces in the file name but it turned out that the spaces were ok but certain paths were not.

C:\!downloads\bob => pass
C:\!downloads\tivo => pass
C:\!downloads\bobfiles => pass
C:\!downloads\tivofiles => fail
"C:\!downloads\bob files" => fail
"C:\!downloads\tivo files" => fail
"C:\!downloads\bob bob" => pass
"C:\!downloads\tivo tivo" => fail

I have no idea what that means... maybe someone with more knowledge of tivo_demux can see a pattern in the pass/fail examples.

note: this was done just calling tivo_demux from the command line... not with any of the other "automation" scripts from this thread.

mkelley
02-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Folks,

Forgive me if this appears slightly OT, but using either this automatic demuxer process (which essentially calls Graphedit, right?) or going into GraphEdit manually and building the filters, I always end up with video streams that are not compatible with DVD.

In the case of graphedit no matter what I do (including checking "DVD" as compatibility for the program streams) I get a video size of 480x480. Using this TiVo_Demux program I get video of 544x480. Neither one is suitable for DVD and thus it won't do me any good to mux these streams together to create files for burning.

Is this normal? Is the TIVO file format not ready for DVD? (Kind of like the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players"). It seems to me if I need to reencode it for DVD then I miss the whole point of taking the source -- I might as well just record the stream in real time using my DVD recorder than go through all these hoops.

Or am I just completely stupid and missing something obvious. Help, suggestons or winning lotto numbers would be greatly appreciated.

rjcvideo
02-27-2005, 01:42 PM
:confused: I am havingthe same problem as previously posted on page 2. I have my graph setup as prescribed, but my MLElcard Demuxer never shows two outputs. Just video. I am using the 3.1.198 version along with the M71 muxer, and I have been able to get that set for two inputs. Any help as this is slowly driving me crazy. :cool:

Thanks,

maiknyc@earthli
02-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Question: How do i properly install the dump.ax file?

Another Question: How hard would it be to setup a batch process to demux the .tivos then encode them to DiVx?

I have used the "normal" manual method (using Graphedit) so far without ANY problems - but starting to day whenever I try to add the "Dump" filter to the graph I get the following error "The filter could not be created. Resources used by this filter may already be in use". EVen if I try it RIGHT after a reboot I get the same message. Tried re-registering dump.ax using regsrv32.exe, which worked but I still get the same error. Any ideas??

Mr2001
02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
In the case of graphedit no matter what I do (including checking "DVD" as compatibility for the program streams) I get a video size of 480x480. Using this TiVo_Demux program I get video of 544x480. Neither one is suitable for DVD and thus it won't do me any good to mux these streams together to create files for burning.
480x480 is also the size you get with TyTool. It's the standard size for SVCD, and most DVD players that work with SVCD will play a 480x480 DVD movie.

Masnark
03-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Getting only 14 seconds of video.

My source is 5 minutes long. TiVo_Demux.exe gives me 2 files (listing sizes):

.tivo file: 142,458,008
m2v file: 7,231,680
mpa file: 133,943,710

The result after running this:
mplex -f3 -o c:\tivo\xxx_3.mpg c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa
is sized at: 37,470,208

mplex -f0 -o c:\tivo\xxx_0.mpg c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa
is sized at: 6,858,752

The Mplex tells me that too many frames were dropped:

INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
INFO: [???] File c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v looks like an MPEG Audio stream.
INFO: [???] File c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa looks like an MPEG Video stream.
INFO: [???] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
INFO: [???] Selecting generic MPEG2 output profile
INFO: [???] Multiplexing video program stream!
INFO: [???] Scanning for header info: Audio stream c0 (c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v)
INFO: [???] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
INFO: [???] Audio version : 1.0
INFO: [???] Layer : 2
INFO: [???] CRC checksums : no
INFO: [???] Bit rate : 24576 bytes/sec (192 kbit/sec)
INFO: [???] Frequency : 48000 Hz
INFO: [???] Mode : 0 stereo
INFO: [???] Mode extension : 0
INFO: [???] Copyright bit : 0 no copyright
INFO: [???] Original/Copy : 1 original
INFO: [???] Emphasis : 0 none
INFO: [???] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa)
INFO: [???] VIDEO STREAM: e0
INFO: [???] Frame width : 480
INFO: [???] Frame height : 480
INFO: [???] Aspect ratio : 4:3 display
INFO: [???] Picture rate : 29.970 frames/sec
INFO: [???] Bit rate : 3500000 bits/sec
INFO: [???] Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
INFO: [???] CSPF : 0
INFO: [???] SYSTEMS/PROGRAM stream:
INFO: [???] rough-guess multiplexed stream data rate : 3773600
INFO: [???] Setting best-guess data rate.
INFO: [???] Run-in Sectors = 97 Video delay = 37903 Audio delay = 0
INFO: [???] New sequence commences...
INFO: [???] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=000000 sector=00000000
INFO: [???] Video e0: buf= 235520 frame=000000 sector=00000000
INFO: [???] Padding : sector=00000000
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=5680822 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 3276 frame=002871 sector=00000820
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 191961 frame=002065 sector=00015140
++ WARN: [???] Padding : sector=00000007
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=6374416 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 2682 frame=002934 sector=00000838
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 197143 frame=002110 sector=00015468
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=6509618 required(DTS)=0
Removed a couple of those
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 2664 frame=002997 sector=00000856
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 186853 frame=002155 sector=00015796
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=6644820 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 2646 frame=003060 sector=00000874
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 189955 frame=002200 sector=00016124
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=6780021 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 4069 frame=003120 sector=00000891
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 195272 frame=002245 sector=00016453
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=6914832 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 4051 frame=003183 sector=00000909
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 201279 frame=002290 sector=00016780
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=7032060 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 2883 frame=003239 sector=00000925
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 216138 frame=002329 sector=00017064
++ WARN: [???] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=7149287 required(DTS)=0
++ WARN: [???] Audio c0: buf= 3732 frame=003291 sector=00000940
++ WARN: [???] Video e0: buf= 233495 frame=002367 sector=00017349
**ERROR: [???] Too many frame drops -exiting

bibjab
03-01-2005, 09:59 AM
I have created a program to automate this process a bit more. This is basically a command line wrapper for the original tivo_decrypt.js script. It allows you to drag and drop .TiVo files onto it, and it will spit out .mpg's.

There's a bunch of path stuff going on here, so I wouldn't be surprised if it broke under some configurations... so just post if it breaks on you.

Please read the readme file in the zip for more instructions.

Just wanted to thank you for even further automating this! Not sure why no one has responded, or why anyone is still posting questions or observations. I now just drag a file onto the exe, and it converts, done!! Even cleans up all the files!

Thanks again!

The only issue I have been seeing is the continuous "waiting for password dialog". For some reason it won't kick in every time.
I also noted that when it fails to kick in a few times, I rename the file (take out one letter, add a space, etc.) and it will then usually work.
Anything I can do to improve this? Maybe some kind of timer/delay in the script?

Thanks again for your contribution, please do not consider this any kind of request for support, it works great as is.

bibjab
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Anyone else having the problem where tivo_demux generates an Application Error and the "friendly" requestor about sending a report to Microsoft on certain files? It doesn't appear to be related to file size, it doesn't seem to happen after X number of files, and the ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps there are file flaws that don't affect playback but do affect parsing.

At least it is consistent that once it crashes on a file it always crashes on that file.

Am going to go to GraphEdit on one of those later today to see if I get the same response, but am curious to know if it's "just me".

I saw this problem as well. In a pissed off rage, I disabled error reporting, but that obviously does not stop the error from happening. It does stop Microsoft from closing your application for you though.

Try this (it worked for me): When you have the error, close all the apps/windows, then rename the file and try again. I have had success with this even by just deleting one letter or adding a space.

I think it is caused somehow by the password prompt, or lack of...

mkelley
03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
480x480 is also the size you get with TyTool. It's the standard size for SVCD, and most DVD players that work with SVCD will play a 480x480 DVD movie.

It's not a matter of playing it -- it's a matter of making the DVD in the first place.

I use Adobe Encore but even DVDLab complains about this size (Encore won't even import the file). Most pro DVD programs require 720x480. If I have to remux it there's no point in this whole process (I'd just be better off capturing the video direct to DV and encoding from there) but it sounds like that's the only way TiVo files can work.

Masnark
03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I have been able to get it to work by using the -f8 option on mplex for some reason.

Any idea why that works and -f3 doesn't?

Mr2001
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
It's not a matter of playing it -- it's a matter of making the DVD in the first place.

I use Adobe Encore but even DVDLab complains about this size (Encore won't even import the file). Most pro DVD programs require 720x480. If I have to remux it there's no point in this whole process (I'd just be better off capturing the video direct to DV and encoding from there) but it sounds like that's the only way TiVo files can work.
Well, you have to remux it no matter what you do.. I think you mean reencode.

DVD-lab does complain about the frame size, but if you ignore the warnings, it'll make a DVD that works in many players. Strangely enough, the DVD I burned this way wouldn't work in my PC (the video was just black in WMP and Mark's Tray DVD Player), but it does work in my Norcent player and my parents' Apex. I don't think the TyTools DVDs I've made in the past had that problem... dunno why.

bkdelong
03-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Getting only 14 seconds of video.

My source is 5 minutes long. TiVo_Demux.exe gives me 2 files (listing sizes):

.tivo file: 142,458,008
m2v file: 7,231,680
mpa file: 133,943,710

mplex -f3 -o c:\tivo\xxx_3.mpg c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa
is sized at: 37,470,208

mplex -f0 -o c:\tivo\xxx_0.mpg c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa
is sized at: 6,858,752

The Mplex tells me that too many frames were dropped:

I changed my remux line to:

mplex -f4 -M -o c:\tivo\xxx_0.mpg c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.m2v c:\tivo\workdir\xxx.mpa

and it worked great.

.tivo: 372MB

Demux:
.mpa: 323MB
.m2v: 41.2MB

Remux:
.mpg: 373MB

With f1 and f2, I only got 35 seconds with this file.....with f3, 2 seconds.

Could it have to do with the different qualities that Tivo records at?

EDIT: Interesting - I just had a .tivo recorded at "Best" that I had to use -f9 for. The file above was done at Basic quality.

bkdelong
03-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm having a problem with one of my files. It's the exact same size as another one I decrypted successfully: 1.27GB

Yet when I drag it over autoDeTivo.exe, I get a crash message from tivo_demux.exe and the Waiting for Password (tivo_decrypt.js) just scrolls...

AppName: tivo_demux.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0003426d

Any ideas?

kentauros
03-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Error Builder Graph(connecting source to demux), ExitingError Builder Graph(connection demux to video dump), ExitingError Builder Graph(connection demux to audio dump), ExitingDeMuxing file....
I'm getting the same error here, and I'm not sure why...

Here's my output:

D:\TiVo>tivo_demux.exe "d:\TiVo\TiVo_File.TiVo" d:\TiVo\working_dir\
Argument 1: d:\TiVo\TiVo_File.TiVo
Argument 2: d:\TiVo\working_dir\
Input File=d:\TiVo\TiVo_File.TiVo
Audio Output=d:\TiVo\working_dir\TiVo_File.mpa
Video Output=d:\TiVo\working_dir\TiVo_File.m2v
Created Roxio DeMuxer
Created Audio DumpCreated Audio Dump
Created Video Dump
Created Video Dump
Created Graph Builder
Error Builder Graph(connection demux to video dump), ExitingError Builder Graph(
connection demux to audio dump), ExitingDeMuxing file....

I've verified I have dump.ax with RadLight's Filter Manager, and it's using my Roxio DeMuxer as you can see.. anyone know what the problem could be?

juanian
03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I noticed a few 'problems' after de-muxing and re-muxing a .tivo file -- there still seems to be some dependencies with the file. Using tivo_demux.exe and mplex does remove the need to enter the playback password, but all other restrictions on playing the file seem to exist.

First: I used tivo_demux.exe and mplex to demux and remux the parts.

The problems I have are these:
1: If the file is on a network drive, opening it in WMP 10 gives the message "The network resource type is not correct". (This also happens with a .tivo file.)

Also, playing the file on a Mac gives the message "Couldn't open the file because it is not a file that QuickTime understands". This is different from the kind of message that normally occurs if the proper codec is not found.

Other notes:
When I play the new file from a hard drive, it does not ask for the playback password, and it plays fine in WMP 10.

Hass anyone been able to play one of these .mpeg files on a PC that doesn't have TiVo Desktop or the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll installed? Does it work?

Thanks for any help
Juan

EDIT: Clarified and expanded some of the wording.

juanian
03-05-2005, 11:45 PM
OK, I was able to try playing the .mpeg on a system that didn't have Tivo Desktop installed, and the 'network' error messages no longer appear. The aspect ratio, unfortunately, is a bit 'squished'. (I am using the dscaler5 codec, and I do recall seeing something about this somewhere, so I'll go and check it out.)

I guess the TiVo filter still gets its fingers in the mix, and can tell if the stream being played originated from a TiVo, and if so, will prevent a file from being played off of a network (or, possibly also a CD or data DVD). I'll have to try that later.

As far as the Mac is concerned, the .mpeg file seems to play fine using VLC 0.8.1, so that problem is also solved.

Juan

redhat39
03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Anyone having the problem where mplex is not remuxing the whole show? I have a 2.7GB show that demuxes fine but when mplex starts muxing it it quits after about 300 - 400 MB. Smaller files (shows) seem to work fine, except for the ocassional scrolling password prompt. It just seems to be the larger files (shows) that are a problem for mplex.

crewfan
03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I have trouble with even 1/2 hour shows - does everything fine except the muxing... I get short burst then it craps out...

I am back to 1) Graphedit to .TIVO to .MPG then 2) TMPGencPlus to .MPG to get a DVD compatible (M2V+WAV)

Result are perfectly synced files that burn easily. I would love to automate the process, but cant figure out a way that produces an end product as flawless on DVD. Any ideas, suggestions?

Thor266
03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
When running tivo_decrypt.js the output mpg contains just the beginning of the program.

I think the problem occurs during the remux'ing phase and here is why:

If I run tivo_demux.exe by itself, it outputs the full length demuxed audio and video files just fine.

Because graphedit and tivo_demux.exe work perfectly I believe that all my filters are properly registered and working.

By watching the output directory I can see that the demux process is creating full length m2v and mpa files.

When the remux phase completes it deletes the m2v and mpa files.

No errors are reported by the tivo_decrypt.js script.

The mplex.exe command includes the following flags -f 9 -o

When I run mplexe.exe manually it reports the following error 25 times before ending - "Discarding incomplete final fram MPEG audio stream c0!"

Graphedit handles the same input .TiVo file perfectly.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

In the time since I've tried the following option flags for the mplex.exe command without success based upon previous posts
-f4 -M -o
-f 4 -M -o

bigbobwatts
03-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I get an issue where tivo_demuxer.exe errors out at Argument 2. This has happened with about half the .tivo files that I have. Some work fine, but as I said, 50% won't get past this stage. It appears that it doesn't like something about the file name or location I'm choosing. This is the syntax that I am using.

"C:\\Program Files\TiVo2MPG\tivo_demuxer.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings\<filename>.tivo" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Videos"

Any problems here? Alright well any help would be much appreciated.

FreddyGarvin
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM

I had the same problem, and was following the steps above. the dos pathname was too long I think. the reason I think this is, I couldn't cut and paste the whole name from the dos window to another dos window without cuting and pasting several lines, (yes I am lazy) (mine was buried in my "My Documents" folder so it had a really long path). I copied a .tivo file to my c: root and then tried to drag it over to the autodetivo file and it works, but now it bombs out after a while saying "you are not authorized to veiw this recording. it was transferred using a different media access key than the on e in your windows account" I have put my password in the .js file, What's wrong? any help would be appreciated.

also I have the elecard crawler across all of my .tivo files when I play them (even just double-clicking them and playing them in wmp) saying my evaluation has expired. do I need to buy that?

Thanks in advance

mr.klaw
03-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I get an issue where tivo_demuxer.exe errors out at Argument 2. This has happened with about half the .tivo files that I have. Some work fine, but as I said, 50% won't get past this stage. It appears that it doesn't like something about the file name or location I'm choosing. This is the syntax that I am using.

"C:\\Program Files\TiVo2MPG\tivo_demuxer.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings\<filename>.tivo" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Videos"

Any problems here? Alright well any help would be much appreciated.

The problem is that you don't have a trailing backslash after "My Videos". I was getting the same error until I realized that it needed the the trailing backslash.

It should look like this:
"C:\\Program Files\TiVo2MPG\tivo_demuxer.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings\<filename>.tivo" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Videos\"

FreddyGarvin
03-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Ok, I got rid of the elecard crap, but I am still having a problem where the conversion just dies in the middle. it randomly bombs out and displays the "you are not authorized to play..." message. I can play the .tivo files fine and I can even play the portions that are ripped, but I can't get on e to rip completely. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

mr.klaw
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
I played with the mplex some more today and yet I still get only 4 minutes of a 1 hour movie, but I did figure out that instead I could move the .m2v and .mpa to the G5 and import it in to toast to mux the files back together in a DVD format, also I could use final cut pro or iMovie and edit it once that was done.

Have you gotten iMovie for FCP to import the m2v and mpa files? I haven't been able to get iMovie to recognize them and I haven't installed FCP on my new G5.

raydog153
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
The problem is that you don't have a trailing backslash after "My Videos". I was getting the same error until I realized that it needed the the trailing backslash.

It should look like this:
"C:\\Program Files\TiVo2MPG\tivo_demuxer.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings\<filename>.tivo" "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Videos\"

That is really not the case here. If you look at the source code provided, it adds a trailing slash if needed. I was having this same problem where some videos would work, and others not. So I took the time to debug the problem. Seems the program is compiled in unicode, but vivamus converts the arguments passed to the program from char to wchar. This is not needed sinceit is unicode. Here are my code changes. I can post the exe if people would like, but would rather have vivamus make the change since he made the tivo_demux.exe:

Change:
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
To for casting purposes:
int wmain(int argc, wchar_t* argv[])

Change:
WCHAR * input_file=convert(argv[1]);
WCHAR * output_dir=convert(argv[2]);
To:
WCHAR * input_file = NULL;//=convert(argv[1]);
WCHAR * output_dir = NULL;//=convert(argv[2]);
input_file = new wchar_t[wcslen(argv[1])];
output_dir = new wchar_t[wcslen(argv[2])];
wcscpy(input_file, argv[1]);
wcscpy(output_dir, argv[2]);

Thanks vivamus for this wonderfull program....
Ray

platyr
03-17-2005, 09:24 AM
i haven't been able to get anything in this thread to work yet. i get the scrolling "waiting for password" thing while tivo_demux.exe crashes or a few times it made it to argument 2 but then just stops. the tivo2mpeg app gives a registry error as soon as i open it.

here's one of the things i've tried w/ no luck:
cscript "e:\tivo\tivo_decrypt.js" "e:\tivo\test.tivo" "e:\tivo\done\"

what can i try?

Masnark
03-21-2005, 03:02 AM
Lets try this again.

I install the moonlight demuxer (I think) and am still getting an audio sync problem. The mv2 file is longer by ~15 seconds than the sound file.

Does anyone have any idea about why this might happen etc?

Also, how do I make sure if I have the moonlight demuxer installed?

goBoilers
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I've tried all the above scripts/programs and they sem to be working alright until it gets to the remux part. Either I get one mpg that is only the first few seconds or I get a series of verious length mpgs (using the %d method). I get no errors. it seems tobe doing it job except for the final step. Has any one been able to get the entire .tivo=>.mpg file? If so, any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

I've got the same problem here...

I've added the %d as follows (in the .js file):

-f 9 -o \""+name+"%d.mpg\"

But now I just get a 3 minute file called filename1.mpg instead of filename.mpg.

n503r
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
can anyone tell me what this error is and how to fix it?

Running tivo_decrypt on cscript "C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\
Desktop\TEST of TiVO\tivo_decrypt.js" "C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\Desktop\zzz TiVo\test.TiVo" "C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\Desktop\zzz TiVo"...
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized C
ustom\Desktop\TEST of TiVO\tivo_decrypt.js".

what should I have in this below? my folder with my TiVo file is on my desktop labeled zzz TiVo and my TiVo show is labeled Test

outputDir=%INPUTDIR%
leaveCmdOpen=true

n503r
04-01-2005, 11:16 PM
cscript (path to file)\tivo_decrypt.js "input file" "output folder"
example: cscript "c:\temp\tivo_decrpyt.js" "c:\temp\tivo_show.tivo" "c:\temp"

can you explain this? I don't understand what to do. I am new at this. When I use your program, I get an endless,

waiting for password dialog....

what am I doing wrong?

poltergiest
04-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Klaw,

Sorry new project took time from dealing with this. But in answer to you question I did get FCP and iMovie to import the movie AFTER I ran it through Toast. I would just drag the .m2v and .mpa files into toast and then save the file on the desktop, then start FCP and edit. The only BIG drawback was a 1 hour show was now almost 12GB, yes GB! So I have just moved the file to storage for now until I have a few hours to read some more and try something different, I thought about even trying DVD2ONE one day.

flacoman
04-14-2005, 06:30 PM
When attempting to run tivo demux manually ,I get "this application has failed to start because stlport_vc745.dll was not found Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
All the .js files fail at line 7 , character 2. :confused:
Any thoughts ? A google search for the .dll file came up empty and i am by no means a codesmith !

Thanks
Jorge

cwhogan
04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
The link from the initial post doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have an alternate location for the Moonlight Demuxer?

rickytv
05-22-2005, 09:54 PM
I can post the exe if people would like, but would rather have vivamus make the change since he made the tivo_demux.exe

Since it doesn't look like he's been able to do it, would you mind posting your version of the .exe file (preferably .ZIP rather than .RSR)?

Thanks!

Skimmerman
05-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but...

While browsing through the .tivo file format forum, I came upon a post by
Tok (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223632&postcount=28) alluding to using the scrfilter.exe program.

As Tok put it, "Under Windows, this tool just works: .TiVo file gets converted to the raw MPEG2, using the Windows Way. They can't ever change this method because it is the very mechanism Windows uses to play the files back. "

Here is how I got it to work:

I got the scrfilter.exe program here http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/srcfilter.exe. Next I got the CLSID for the Tivo DirectShow Filter. To find it, I did a search in regedit under HKEY_Local_Machine for "Tivo DirectShow Source Filter" (without quotes). (If you don't know it already, don't change things in the register or you will mess up Windows.) The CLSID is located in the same folder.

To make things easy, I copied: scrfilter.exe, TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll (found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow) and my batch file (shown below) to the Tivo recordings directory.

When I ran the batch file on a 30 min episode of Trailer Park Boys, it took about 45 seconds to convert it to a good mpg file.

Here are the contents of my 2 line batch file (note that I dropped the .tivo extention on the set prog line):

set prog="Trailer Park Boys (Recorded Feb 11, 2005, BBCA)"
srcfilter.exe -f TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll -c {A65FA79B-2D2C-42BD-BAB2-D474B8F01248} -x %prog%.mpg %prog%.tivo

Obviously there must be a better way to add shows rather than pasting the show name right into the batch file, but I haven't come up with it (if anyone knows a more automated way, please post it).

rickytv
05-29-2005, 08:16 PM
FWIW, it looks like the CLSID is constant among systems - at least it's the same as yours on both of my machines at home.

While I haven't yet come up with a more automated way of putting in names (in part because I have trouble getting it to accept a PATH in the name), even this allows for much simpler "set it and forget it" processing. Simply doing a:
dir *.TiVo /B > list.txt
gets you a listing of just the filenames. Then using replace it's easy enough to replace ".TiVo" with just the ending double quote. Do something similar for the start of the line (to add the set info), and then paste in the constant scrfilter lint, and you can run the batch file while you go do something else.

I have found that the program gets "confused" if there are commas or exclamation points in the filename. Easy enough to edit those out before doing the "dir" above.

Thanks!

Skimmerman
05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Since the CLSID is the same for everyone's machine, that makes it much easier. All you need to convert .TIVO to .MPG is the 25k scrfilter.exe file and a TIVO provided file already on your PC. Am I missing something, or does this make MUXing and DEMUXing obsolete?

To make my earlier post simpler, these are the 4 steps to quickly convert .TIVO files to .MPG:

1) get the scrfilter.exe at http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/srcfilter.exe and copy it to the My TiVo Recordings folder.

2) copy the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll (found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow) to the My TiVo Recordings folder.

3) create the bat file scr.bat (or whatever you want to call it) in the My TiVo Recordings folder with these two lines in it (after having substitued in your own .tivo file name):
set prog="any .tivo recording file minus the '.tivo' at the end "
srcfilter.exe -f TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll -c {A65FA79B-2D2C-42BD-BAB2-D474B8F01248} -x %prog%.mpg %prog%.tivo

4) execute scr.bat

The set prog line in step 3 should look something like this:
set prog="CSI Crime Scene Investigation - ''Compulsion'' (Recorded Mar 10, 2005, WOIO)" Keep in mind that double quotes are used at the beginning and end of the show name, not single quotes.

To give credit where credit is due, Tok came up this concept.

I like the idea of converting the whole folder of .tivo files to .mpg that RickyTV is suggesting, but it sure would be nice if someone with some visual basic experience could come up with a cleaner solution. Perhaps an executable that would enable selecting which file you want to convert, rather than screwing around with old dos batch files. Any takers?

Jack.R.Abbit
06-01-2005, 06:14 PM
I like the idea of converting the whole folder of .tivo files to .mpg that RickyTV is suggesting, but it sure would be nice if someone with some visual basic experience could come up with a cleaner solution. Perhaps an executable that would enable selecting which file you want to convert, rather than screwing around with old dos batch files. Any takers?

I've attached a small "drop target" type application that provides the cleaner solution you are looking for. All you have to do is drag a .tivo file or a folder that has .tivo files onto the tivomatic.exe. It will process the file(s) in the folder they are in. Once the app is running, it keeps a tally of the number of files is has to process. You can "Cancel" the current process or "Cancel All" of them. Once all the files have been processed, the app terminates itself. The app need not be in the same folder as the files being processed.

The application assumes the following:
1) That scrfilter.exe is in the same folder as it is.
2) That TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll is either in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow folder or the same on it is.
3) That CLSID is {A65FA79B-2D2C-42BD-BAB2-D474B8F01248}

NOTE: It works for me... your milage may vary.

Edit: I removed this version... see next post.

Jack.R.Abbit
06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Seeing the error in my ways this morning... I made a slight update to the application. Everything in my previous post still holds true but now you can drag multiple files and/or folders to the tivomatic.exe and it will process them all. I realized that I would usually want to do more than one file but not the entire folder. So I made the minor change. Sorry for the few people that already downloaded it. If it was working for you before.. it should work better now. ;)

Edit: This version removed... keep scrolling down for the latest. :)

johndmes
06-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Seeing the error in my ways this morning... I made a slight update to the application. Everything in my previous post still holds true but now you can drag multiple files and/or folders to the tivomatic.exe and it will process them all. I realized that I would usually want to do more than one file but not the entire folder. So I made the minor change. Sorry for the few people that already downloaded it. If it was working for you before.. it should work better now. ;)

On trying to download this, Firefox tries to download the PHP file itself, not the actual file - can this link be fixed please?

mrblack51
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM
On trying to download this, Firefox tries to download the PHP file itself, not the actual file - can this link be fixed please?

worked fine for me. i use firefox as well, downloaded the file just fine.

Jack.R.Abbit
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
It works for me on FF as well. If I had any control over the downloading of attachments, I'd get right on fixing it. But seeing how its just attached to my post, thus part of the message board itself, there is nothing I can do.

sgunther
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Would it be possible to add a check box for optional deletion of source file after successful conversion? This feature would be helpful when converting large amounts of files.

Skimmerman
06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Wow. Very nice program. Made convert .tivo to mpg very simple. Thanks . :D

Jack.R.Abbit
06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Wow. Very nice program. Made convert .tivo to mpg very simple. Thanks . :DThanks

Would it be possible to add a check box for optional deletion of source file after successful conversion? This feature would be helpful when converting large amounts of files.Not that I want to make a habit of jumping right on the feature requests :) ...but since I was already reworking the app (again) to allow you to override the before mentioned "assumptions" within an .ini file, I figured it was not too hard to add an additional bit of code to handle this request as well. On trying to keep this a simple drop-target type app, I need to keep the UI at a minimum. So rather than a check box, its a setting in the .ini file. Use caution with the deletesource option. It may delete it even if there was a problem processing it. I would advise that you use the app a few times with delete source turned off to make sure you don't run into problems.

Here is a new version. The zip file now has a readme.txt and a tivomatic.ini. Read the readme for additional info.

sgunther
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks

Not that I want to make a habit of jumping right on the feature requests :) ...but since I was already reworking the app (again) to allow you to override the before mentioned "assumptions" within an .ini file, I figured it was not too hard to add an additional bit of code to handle this request as well.

THANKS!!! Works Great!

rickytv
06-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Since I don't have a dual boot environment at the moment, has anyone tried this latest method under any version of Linux WINE to see if it works? I'd still like to get back to a Linux workstation some day, but the TTG conversion is keeping me tied to Windows.

RazorWitz
06-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Any idea why scrfilter.exe stips out the sound on my computer? Sound is fine in the tivo file, but the converted file does not have any sound at all.

Jack.R.Abbit
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm no expert at any of this and I've had no sound problems with this method. However, it has been my experience sound issues when doing convertions usually have everything to do with the codecs installed on your system. But this is only a guess in this case.

rickytv
06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Any idea why scrfilter.exe stips out the sound on my computer? Sound is fine in the tivo file, but the converted file does not have any sound at all.

If you drop the file into GraphEdit and do the conversion that way, do you still lose the sound?

RazorWitz
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
If you drop the file into GraphEdit and do the conversion that way, do you still lose the sound?

No, but the version of the elecard demuxer was expired and I was getting all the crap on the bottom and the jumping logo, so I was looking for a better solution..

Skimmerman
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM

You might try the mpg you created with Tivomatic on a different Windows system. If you would like, you could email me a short clip, and I will try it. If the clip works, it was probably your codec. BTW the best codec I have found was in the Dr. Divx set.

busyba
06-11-2005, 03:37 AM
I used to use the evillabs method, with the elecard demuxer, with no problems at all, but I realized that I'd eventually run into the expiration issue. So I uninstalled it and went looking for a better way.

The scrfilter.exe method looks really cool. When I tried it, it worked fairly well; I got an mpg file that I could play in Windows Media Player with no problems.

BUT... when I try to import the mpg file into Windows Movie Maker, I get the following error:

-------------------------
The file T:\Temp\Test.mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.
-------------------------

This message seems to not make sense; if I can play the file in Media Player, then I must have the required codec installed. So what gives?

edit to add: Just in case this info helps, when I put the mpg file in graphedit, it shows that the stream goes through the mpeg-2 demultiplexer (mpg2splt.ax) into the NVIDIA decoders.

Agent86
06-11-2005, 01:47 PM
It looks like the srcfilter.exe links in the previous posts are busted.

If you are looking for it, try this link (http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/srcfilter/download/srcfilter-1.4.tar.gz).

txporter
06-11-2005, 11:53 PM
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I dl'd tivomatic and then dl'd the scrfilter file that Agent86 linked. I put them both in the same folder (after untarring and gunzipping the scrfilter file). I then verified that my CSLID was the same, and that TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll was in the Common Files folder indicated.

When I drag my .tivo file onto tivomatic, it quickly pops up the Cancel/Cancel All button and then goes away. The .tivo file is stubbornly still in its folder without a .mpg look-a-like. Am I doing something wrong? I can't figure out why it isn't working. :confused:

*edit* Ok, did a little more work on this and determine that the scrfilter.exe file seems to be the problem. When trying to run it from the command prompt, windows tells me that it doesn't recognize it as a command, program, or batch file. Do I need to actually need to use the makefile on the srcfilter.c file in the download?

Masnark
06-12-2005, 02:13 AM
Make MP2 files out of TiVo (http://prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm)

This will batch transform files for you.

http://prish.com/etivo/forumimages/tbr_ss.PNG

txporter
06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I downloaded eTiVo last night. It worked great! Thanks for posting that.

jlatenight
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Hey Jack.R.Abbit, tivomatic is a GREAT tool, but I'm having an issue with it. I can't seem to get it going. I can do the srcfilter.exe tivo directshow filter technique just fine in DOS or with the script method, but when I try tivomatic, I drag a .tivo file onto the exe and a DOS window flashes up for a split second and then disappears. I copied the tivo dll and scrfilter into the "my Tivo Recordings" as well as tivomatic, and I double checked the CLSID and it's correct. In your readme, you have scrfilter.exe, but mine's called SRCfilter.exe, that's a typo, right? Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks all!

juanian
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
I have also tried tivomatic (and liked it!). My biggest problem seems to be that the output .mpg file (and sometimes the input .tivo file) don't seem to be properly closed when the operation completes. I don't know if this is a problem with srcfilter or something else, but it makes it quite inconvenient to transfer or delete the files without rebooting Windows first. Has anyone else seen this problem?

rickytv
07-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Haven't encountered the problem mentioned with files not being closed (running XP SP2 FWIW), but I have had an issue when I try to give tivomatic too many files at once that I get an error message that it can't find the file specified at that path. Key number seems to be around 20. It's not that big a deal to simply drag over only 20 at a time, and the tool is much more convienent than the other options I've tried.

FWIW...

Jack.R.Abbit
07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
As I understand it, srcfilter was updated after I created TiVomatic. srcfilter seems to now need an output folder as one of the arguments. I have not had the time to address (or even investigate) this issue but I will try to get to it soon.

I've not had any issues with files not being closed after completion.

I've also never tried more than maybe 5 files, but I will see if I can track down what might be making it hicup on many files. It could just be a limitation in the input string the program can take... perhaps a windows issue (?)

stangel
07-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi,

When I demux my .tivo movies (using the Moonlight Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer), the audio and video streams come out a different length than the original source, and what's worse they differ. For example, I have a .tivo file that is just over two hours long, and they split as follows:

.tivo = 2:00:01
.m2v = 2:02:49
.mpa = 2:00:21

What could be the cause of this, and is there a fix?

thanks!

juanian
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Haven't encountered the problem mentioned with files not being closed (running XP SP2 FWIW), but I have had an issue when I try to give tivomatic too many files at once that I get an error message that it can't find the file specified at that path. Key number seems to be around 20. It's not that big a deal to simply drag over only 20 at a time, and the tool is much more convienent than the other options I've tried.

FWIW...You are probably exceeding some buffer somewhere. I seem to recall some specific Windows buffer sizes for certain operations (4096 comes to mind, but I don't recall if this applies to drag-and-drop). To check this, try putting the files into a directory directly under your C:\ drive (and not below your 'Documents and Settings' or 'My Documents' folder), and see if you can convert more files at a time.

pil0t
08-04-2005, 01:36 AM
I install the moonlight demuxer (I think) and am still getting an audio sync problem. The mv2 file is longer by ~15 seconds than the sound file.

Does anyone have any idea about why this might happen etc?

Also, how do I make sure if I have the moonlight demuxer installed?
Masnark, if you haven't already found this answer elsewhere: The sync problem is pretty well-known as the TiVo saves space by not encoding audio frames when the audio level is below some silence threshold (most audio software I have used suggest -38 to -40 dBm as a silence threshold, as anything lower than that is normally imperceptible). Bottom line, if you want everything to stay in sync, you have to either keep the video and audio multiplexed in the original stream, remux with a program that is SCR/PTS aware to keep sync, or use a program that can fill the audio "holes" (TyTool does this).

I archive my TiVo files to MPEG-4 (XviD/MP3 in AVI) and have designed my workflow to take advantage of the first and third methods. I wrote my own program to dump the TiVo file directly to MPEG-2 without demux/remuxing (my filter graph goes "TiVo DirectShow Filter" -> "File Dump"), use TyTool to trim the ends and rough-cut commercials (GOP-accurate) as needed and remux with the audio holes filled, run the edited MPEG-2 files through DGIndex with a template AVISynth script, and pass the AVS file to VirtualDub to encode. It may sound complicated, but I have automated it to the point where I only have to interact with it to define the commercial/trim cuts and set the appropriate cropping for each program in the AVS files. My next step is to write another tool that will take the cropping and frame-cut information beforehand so I only have to interact with each program once, at the beginning of the workflow, and get a complete AVI file with a minimum of fuss. :rolleyes:

Um... sorry I got off topic, but I hope this helps answer that question. :)

You can use GraphEdit to check whether you have the Moonlight demuxer installed, by clicking "Insert Filters..." and looking within the "DirectShow Filters" branch of the tree. If you don't have GraphEdit, you can search your registry for the name or CLSID of the filter. If you're referring to the "Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer", the CLSID is {731B8592-4001-46D4-B1A5-33EC792B4501}.

Entropathy
08-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I've been having some problems lately using any/all methods described in this thread. My problem is actually the tivo_demux.exe, well in reality my problem is windows but I digress....I can play my .tivo files in various players on my windows machine, etc, but if I use tivo_demux or scrfilter or directshowdump they all start running fine but then after 10-30 seconds I get the "You are not authorized to play this file, it was downloaded with a different password than the one provided" error. I am running TivoDesktop 2.1 fwiw on that box. I also don't get prompted for my password during playback anymore, or when running these programs, so did something change in the dll ? I even got scrfilter compiled on my linux box and ran it under wine and it started dumping the file, but then I got the same error, which makes me think it's something in the tivo dll. Does anyone have an older copy of the dll to compare with or any other advise as to what is causing my problem ? Thanks.
---------------------------------
Additional info it looks like it may just be the file I'm testing with or the size. I'm trying to convert a 3hr 41m .tivo file and it's failing, I just finished a 1hr file with both tivo_demux and srcfilter, so it's either file size or content (this was a baseball game) is there any extra drm that goes into some broadcasts to even further limit my ability to do things ?

shadowmaster
09-15-2005, 02:23 AM
That is really not the case here. If you look at the source code provided, it adds a trailing slash if needed. I was having this same problem where some videos would work, and others not. So I took the time to debug the problem. Seems the program is compiled in unicode, but vivamus converts the arguments passed to the program from char to wchar. This is not needed sinceit is unicode. Here are my code changes. I can post the exe if people would like, but would rather have vivamus make the change since he made the tivo_demux.exe:

Change:
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
To for casting purposes:
int wmain(int argc, wchar_t* argv[])

Change:
WCHAR * input_file=convert(argv[1]);
WCHAR * output_dir=convert(argv[2]);
To:
WCHAR * input_file = NULL;//=convert(argv[1]);
WCHAR * output_dir = NULL;//=convert(argv[2]);
input_file = new wchar_t[wcslen(argv[1])];
output_dir = new wchar_t[wcslen(argv[2])];
wcscpy(input_file, argv[1]);
wcscpy(output_dir, argv[2]);

Thanks vivamus for this wonderfull program....
Ray

Was there ever an executable distributed with this? I could go download the DirectShow SDK and all that, but if the exe is available, that'd be much easier.

mrlopez8
09-18-2005, 10:26 AM
I Need a srcfilter.exe that works with Windows XP.
Does anyone have that file?

raydog153
10-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Here is my tivo_demux that works for me that has those code changes. A couple people asked about it.

gprimr1
02-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Direct Show dump produces non-white book mpeg files. I use it frequently, but many programs (including the all powerful AutoGK, best XVID encoder outthere) error out when handling mpeg files produced by Direct Show Dump.

The author doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

Narf54321
02-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Direct Show dump produces non-white book mpeg files. I use it frequently, but many programs (including the all powerful AutoGK, best XVID encoder outthere) error out when handling mpeg files produced by Direct Show Dump.

The author doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

The question becomes: Does the Tivo even record "white book" MPEG2 files? Somehow I doubt it.

After finally buying Video ReDo I've found that fixes a number of issues in the Tivo MPEG files.

gprimr1
02-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I doubt they are to, they certainly aren't DVD compliant.

That said, I tested tivomatic on Windows Vista and dragging a file onto it did not work, but when i went into dos and did "tivomatic.exe *.tivo" it worked perfectly.

And AutoGK can parse the resulting MPEG files correctly, whereas with DirectShowDump, it fails.

I think this will be my program of choice.