View Full Version : Please help, Encoding problem?!?

02-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Ive been transfering a bunch of laker basketball games off my tivo and archiving to DVD. Ive successfully finished all but one game. When finished creating IFO files w/ tytools and then lastly encoding with dvd2svcd/cce the encoding process hangs and i have this on the log entry:


- D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
- D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.vob
- D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.vob
- D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.vob
- D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.vob
Initializing finished.

- 2/18/2005 12:51:06 AM
Creating DVD2AVI INI file:

Variable settings:
iDCT_Algorithm: 32-bit SSE MMX

Executing DVD2AVI.
Executing DVD2AVI. Commandline:
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVD2AVI\DVD2AVI.exe" -CS=2 -YR=1 -OM=0
-EXIT -OF=[D:\Lakers\f\DVD2AVI_Project_file]
-IF=[D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.vob,D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.vob,D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.vo b,D:\Lakers\f\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.vob]
Framerate: 29970
DVD2AVI processing done.

- 2/18/2005 12:52:26 AM
- Free on drive D: 26051.04 mb
- AUDIO Extraction
Found MPA stream id: 0xC0
Filename: D:\Lakers\f\Extracted_audio_1.mpa

Audio1 delay: 0 ms
Audio extraction finished.

- 2/18/2005 12:54:35 AM
- Free on drive D: 25883.70 mb
- AUDIO conversion

Encoding Audio. Filename: D:\Lakers\f\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
Executing BeSweet. Commandline:
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input
"D:\Lakers\f\Extracted_audio_1.mpa" -output
"D:\Lakers\f\Encoded_audio_1.mp2" -logfile
"D:\Lakers\f\Encoded_audio_1.log" ) -ota( -g max ) -2lame( -e -b 192
-m s )
Audio conversion of D:\Lakers\f\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Audio conversion finished.

- 2/18/2005 1:03:13 AM
- Free on drive D: 25716.36 mb
- Video Encoding using Cinema Craft

Executing Cinema Craft Encoder.
StreamSectors: 4546875788
AudioSectors: 177890580
VideoPAPO: 67677912
ScanOffsetBytes: 262941
SeqAligningBytes: 16711361
DVDBytes: 33948605
VideoEndHeader: 4
SubtitleSectors: 0
EmptySectors: 238.00
PictureSectors: 0.00
PureMPEGStream: 4250384385.00
Seconds: 7313.23
CalcMPEGStream: 4250384385.00
Frames: 175294
CDSize: 4350.00
Number of CDs: 1
Cut point 4346.00
Variable Settings:
Frames: 175294
Anti Noise Filter: Off
Passes: 5
Image Quality: 17
VAF file creation: On
Video Encoding Mode: Multipass VBR
Min. bitrate: 800
Max. bitrate: 8000
Avg. Bitrate: 4649
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (No borders, encoded as 4:3)

---AVS Begin---
----AVS End----

Ive been using tytools17 and the last attempt, i tried w/ tytools18. it just never begins the encoding process. i've already tried deleting everything and starting with the original ty files 3 times and have had no success. i have even tried w/ dvd rebuilder and i get an error: illegal video GOP size. possible encrypted source. Abort.

can someone lead me in the right direction? i've finished archiving about 12 different games already and have not changed any settings or done anything different, but this last ty file does not want to encode to 720,480.


02-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Why in the WORLD are you generating an IFO set with TyTool then re-encoding?!?! Did you read something at Doom9 or VideoHelp which was discussing film source and not realize your source is video?

Short answer: You're doing this all wrong. Edit and author with TyTool.

Long answer:

From your script, my guess is you've got DTiVo source.

MPEG2DEC won't properly handle the uncommon flags which are common to DTiVo source. Use DGDecode instead.

TiVos capture as MPEG2, which is lossy. Re-encoding introduces more error. Avoid re-encoding if you care about quality. It's similar to making an analog photocopy of an analog photocopy.

Resizing reduces quality by introducing assumptions. If the content is the same after resizing, which it isn't, your resized 720x480 needs 50% more storage space or bitrate to be equivalent to the source 480x480, assuming that's what you start with. If you absolutely must resize, try to use something which is aware of edges, like S-Spline resizer.

Telecide and Decimate? Holy cow! Your source is interlaced video, not film. You're decombing. That's not the same as deinterlacing. Modern film is 24 fps.

Interlaced source of live action is equivalent to a frame rate of 60 fps (50 fps for PAL). You're throwing away more than half of the temporal information and muddying up the rest. This is basketball, right? Basketball has a lot of fast motion. Keep it interlaced.

If you absolutely must go to a progressive stream, you're far better off to bob which gives you double the frame rate. The vast majority of hardware players aren't set to display that type of source, though, so it's an intermediate step in the AviSynth filter chain.

If you can't bob, use a motion-adaptive method or something like KernelDeint.

ProCoder 1.5 does a far better job with interlaced source than CCE.

The only rational reason to do what you're doing is if the source is film or you must do some filtering. What you've described looks like a total waste of time. Decoding, improper deinterlacing (you're decombing, not deinterlacing), resizing and re-encoding will result in a lot of quality loss and a lot of wasted time. Media is cheap, your time is not.