PDA

View Full Version : Ty Files to PVP Personal Video Player?

pennysmash
02-27-2005, 01:21 AM
I am looking for a way to get Ty files to a Personal Video Player (PVP).

I currently get my Ty files from my Tivo S1 via TivoWebPlus and then remove the TY wrapper and have the resulting 480x480 MPEG2. For my computer, that's as far as I go because my Mac plays these files perfectly using QuickTime Pro. I do not demux/remux anything.

Is there a PVP out there that will play these files as-is? I don't want to have to re-encode them as DIVX files for the Archos PVP, so I am hoping someone has tried the different Personal Video Players with some luck and gottern an MPEG2 to play on it. I know that there is a thorough thread on DVD players, so maybe someone's tried PVP players.

Also, I would be more than happy to upgrade to a Tivo2 so and try TivoToGo if someone know of an EASY (read: no re-encoding) way to get the S2 TivoToGo files to a PVP.

Or, I just wait until Tivo offers a PVP. Thoughts?

rung
02-27-2005, 03:32 PM
then remove the TY wrapper and have the resulting 480x480 MPEG2. For my computer, that's as far as I go because my Mac plays these files perfectly using QuickTime Pro. I do not demux/remux anything.How do you "remove the TY wrapper"?

pennysmash
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
How do you "remove the TY wrapper"?

Sorry. Do I have a jargon issue. My workflow is to copy the .ty File using TivoWebPlus (with the proper module installed) to my hard drive.

Once there, I use "Ty Convert X" to convert the Ty File to a Mpeg-2. The conversion process takes about 3 minutes per 1-hour show.

I am left with a 480x480 Mpeg-2 with that many video programs don't recognize as a legit Mpeg-2 file. However, QuickTime Pro (a $20 upgrade to the free QT) plays it perfectly.

jkrell
02-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I am looking for a way to get Ty files to a Personal Video Player (PVP).

I currently get my Ty files from my Tivo S1 via TivoWebPlus and then remove the TY wrapper and have the resulting 480x480 MPEG2. For my computer, that's as far as I go because my Mac plays these files perfectly using QuickTime Pro. I do not demux/remux anything.

Is there a PVP out there that will play these files as-is? I don't want to have to re-encode them as DIVX files for the Archos PVP, so I am hoping someone has tried the different Personal Video Players with some luck and gottern an MPEG2 to play on it. I know that there is a thorough thread on DVD players, so maybe someone's tried PVP players.

Also, I would be more than happy to upgrade to a Tivo2 so and try TivoToGo if someone know of an EASY (read: no re-encoding) way to get the S2 TivoToGo files to a PVP.

Or, I just wait until Tivo offers a PVP. Thoughts?

The Archos PMA 420 is supposed to support MPEG2 files, though it has a small screen and limited availability. I have decided to wait until the selection of PVPs gets a little better, though I am not optimistic -- most are going the way of MPEG4/DivX only. Or microsoft's WMV.

Check out the following website: http://www.tightsystems.com

Though the TAZ player discussed there has been in the works quite some time and is considered by many to be vaporware.