PDA

View Full Version : Updated TyStudio source code! OS X now builds!

stealthdave
03-10-2005, 03:15 PM
After many frustrating hours trying to get TyStudio to compile on my Mac, I have been successful! The result is an updated TyStudio source code tar-ball which is much easier to compile, on any environment! I also made some (very) small improvements to the code. Here's a complete changelog:

- Fixed build process to build on OS X
- Added support for only stdin or stdout in typrocess
- Added support for closed captioning extraction in tydemux (by rung at Deal Database forums)
- Updated installation script
- Included required mjpeg_play folder from MJPEG Tools project (also GPL) in package
- Moved credits to top of "usage" output so that usage information could be read in terminal without scrolling
- updated version number to 0.5.1 to avoid confusion with previous revisions
- Updated Deal Database links

It really bugged me to have to scroll up every time I wanted to see the "usage" dialog, so I moved the extremely long credits to the top so that the you can actually read the help text.

Building should now be as simple as "make && ./install.sh". There's no "install" target for the Makefile, so I wrote a bash script. By default it installs the files in /usr/local/bin, but you can specify another folder in the command-line (i.e. "./install.sh /sw/bin" for Mac users). I could probably add a target to the Makefile, but for now a bash script was just easier.

When compiling, make sure that you have "QTDIR" set, ala "export QTDIR=/sw" for Mac with a Fink installation. Also, the build process now looks for qt-mt (Qt multi-threaded) instead of the standard qt. This shouldn't be a problem since probably 90%+ of all Qt installations are now multi-threaded, but if not you can can either edit the tyeditor.pro file and change it back or create a symlink. Perhaps a better developer can create a check for the file.

Tystudio 0.5.1 (revision number increased to avoid confusion with the dvd-create version; actual feature enhancement is minimal at best) has been built and tested successfully on Mac OS X 10.3.8 and Gentoo Linux (actually VidaLinux, but basically the same thing). I have not tested a Windows build!!! I don't have the facilities to do so, but I'll gladly accept diffs from those who do. Now that the build process has been simplified, hopefully other developers will more easily be able to build on this work.

You can download the source from my TyStreamer site at http://wiskars.com/tystreamer/source/tystudio-0.5.1-beta1.tar.bz2 . I would have attached the file here, but it was a little too large for the forum to take.

Edit - the closed-caption code was added by user rung, not fyang. The source code has been updated to reflect this. My apologies for the mix-up.

Update - New release now builds against Qt/Mac and does not require X11 libs and has improved S2 support (untested):

TyStudio 0.5.1-beta3 Source Code (http://wiskars.com/tystreamer/source/tystudio-0.5.1-beta1.tar.bz2)
Mac OS X binaries (http://wiskars.com/tystreamer/bin/TyStudio_0.5.1-b3.dmg)

Numbski
03-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Awesome dave, I'm building it now. Would be reallly interesting to see if the QT build could be fixed up. I'm not the one to do it, wish I could. :(

Thanks for the effort though. It'll be nice to finally be able to use this!

Update:
Bah, now I get a Segmentation Fault at 49% instead of a bus error. :\

stealthdave
03-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Update:
Bah, now I get a Segmentation Fault at 49% instead of a bus error. :\
If you search the old TyStudio thread, I think you'll find that that's a common issue with TyStudio. Not sure what the cause or solution is for it, but I'm pretty sure that it's not specific to this build.

Numbski
03-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah, of course you're right. I was tired when i wrote that last night. I guess I was holding out some hope that if the bus error were resolved I might actually get to use it. ;)

*sigh*

I was really hoping to set things up so I could use remote X sessions to edit the ty streams local to my machine without having to do massive file transfers (I already do this using gnucash to keep up my finances).

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Numbski
03-11-2005, 10:26 AM
http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=150326&highlight=tyeditor+%22segmentation+fault%22#post150326

Numbski
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Okay, after much reading, the 49% issue is due to S2 streams.

The tyserver binary and the S2 patch I'm attaching should resolve those problems for S2 users (which I'm guessing are in the majority now). ChrsTurbo posted these in the main TyStudio thread.

Update:
Despite posts to the contrary, the patch doesn't appear to actually fix anything. :\

To apply the patch:

cd /path/to/src/tydemux
patch -p1 < S2patch
When it asks for the file, enter index_edit.c
cd ..
make
./install.sh

As I said, it doesn't appear to fix the indexing issue as it purports to. I wonder what it does fix?

-----------

Replace the tyindex file in the tyserver.zip file with the one in the tyindex.zip file. If you don't, tyindex will segfault on you.

gugliemo
03-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Awesome dave, I'm building it now. Would be reallly interesting to see if the QT build could be fixed up. I'm not the one to do it, wish I could. :(

Did you get it to build and then had execution problems or did you have trouble building? I'm having trouble with Xcode 1.5 and the latest fink -

ld: can't locate file for: -lXinerama
make[1]: *** [tyeditor] Error 1
make: *** [tyeditor] Error 2
I thought apple's X11 included some version of xinerama?

Numbski
03-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I think you have to build the xinerama package linked off of the dvd-create site. At least that's where my sytem got it from.

All of the issues I've listed have been post-compile. Compilation went very smoothly (thanks to Dave).

I'm just trying to get things to a point where we can actually start using this. It seems that each time someone spends a few hours on it, we get a step closer to getting a useable application. :)

Numbski
03-11-2005, 08:03 PM
http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158137&postcount=217

Following those steps, the app still dies with a Bus Error. ???

Man this is frustrating.

Numbski
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Okay, I've got it! :)

1. Install the tyserver package on your tivo. DO NOT allow the installer to mess with your rc.sysinit. If you want tyserver and tyindex to run at startup, add /var/index/tyserver and /var/index/tyindex rc.sysinit.author (or whatever your particular startup file is) manually.

2. Manually run tyindex the first time from the tivo's console. Let it run. It will take a LONG time. Let it do it's thing.

3. Make sure tyserver is running. Fire up tyeditor, then choose a show from "Now Showing". Make sure Indexed says YES for the show you want to edit.

In theory, you should be able to pull it down from there.

------------------

I've e-mailed ChrsTurbo. I'm hoping he'll be willing to give a few minutes to look over what I'm doing wrong with the S2 patch. If it does what I think it's supposed to, then we should be all set here, but for whatever reason I still get segfaults at 49% after building with the patch. I have tyindex chewing away at all of the shows on my tivo right now, but I also have hundreds of them stored locally all waiting to be transcoded. :\

machead
03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Has this latest flurry of Mac/TyStudio activity addressed the apparent 2GB file limit for tydemux?

I have an HDVR2 S2 DTivo running 3.1.1c, and I have had no problems downloading .ty files to my Mac. Any .ty file smaller than 2GB can be downloaded using TivoWeb/MFS_Stream or mfs_ftp; anything larger than 2GB has to be brought down with mfs_ftp.

Once I have the .ty files on my Mac, I've been using tydemux on the command line to split them into mpeg audio and video, then Final Cut/DVDSP to produce DVDs and/or QuickTime clips. This works great for most 30-90 minute shows. However, I've posted this question in several threads here over the past year and still haven't seen any answer or comment:

Why can't tydemux split an S2 DTivo .ty file that's larger than 2GB?

As I said, any .ty file smaller than 2GB can be tydemuxed with no problem. Trying to put a .ty file larger than 2GB through tydemux causes it to fail spectacularly. Any ideas? Is it perhaps my mfs_ftp that is not transferring large files correctly, even though it appears to work fine? The OS X MPlayer beta 8r3 will not play these large files either.

Numbski
03-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can make a suggestion.

If you're using just tydemux, then you could use ms_ftp to download the tmf instead of the ty file. Then do this from terminal:

tar xvf myshow.tmf

That will get you smaller .ty pieces, and an xml file. That's generally used for re-insertion, but in your case where you're using Final Cut, you could demux, then piece it all back together inside Final Cut.

In other news, I just found that chrsturbo's e-mail address isn't valid (or at least isn't accepting e-mail) so I PM'ed him instead. Here's to hoping that he checks his PM's.

stealthdave
03-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Why can't tydemux split an S2 DTivo .ty file that's larger than 2GB?

As I said, any .ty file smaller than 2GB can be tydemuxed with no problem. Trying to put a .ty file larger than 2GB through tydemux causes it to fail spectacularly. Any ideas? Is it perhaps my mfs_ftp that is not transferring large files correctly, even though it appears to work fine? The OS X MPlayer beta 8r3 will not play these large files either.
Can you try using typrocess with pipes rather than tydemux? It's a slightly different procedure internally, so it may make a difference, or it may not. Try this:

$ cat file.ty | typrocess -pipe > file.mpg

The command-line might be slightly different, I'm going from memory. That might get around the file size limit, though.

stealthdave
03-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Updated source code for TyStudio 0.5.1b3 now builds against Qt/Mac without requiring X11 libraries, which means TyStudio is now available as a self-contained app bundle! Links for source code and OS X binaries in the first post. Please note that the Mac binaries will probably only work on Panther.

- Stealth Dave

Numbski
03-15-2005, 12:07 AM
404 not found on the new dmg dave...

stealthdave
03-15-2005, 03:59 AM
404 not found on the new dmg dave...
Sorry 'bout that. Link fixed.

Gene Jockey
03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Nice work, stealthdave - I like ditching X11.

Question - is there anything different about the tivo side of things included on your disk image (tyindex/tyserver)? The tyindex I have running on my DTivos clobbers the CPU - I have to nice it at 15 at start or my DTivo slows to a crawl. If yours is updated, I'll trash the current and re-install.

For anyone - in the TyStudio readme, there's an ftp address for submitting test streams - "especially Series 2 DirecTivos", of which I have two, running 4.0.1b. The link seems to be unresponsive; is there anywhere to send test streams now? I'd be happy to yank some off and send them along if it'll help someone make this run better with my streams.

--Josh

stealthdave
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Nice work, stealthdave - I like ditching X11.

Question - is there anything different about the tivo side of things included on your disk image (tyindex/tyserver)? The tyindex I have running on my DTivos clobbers the CPU - I have to nice it at 15 at start or my DTivo slows to a crawl. If yours is updated, I'll trash the current and re-install.

For anyone - in the TyStudio readme, there's an ftp address for submitting test streams - "especially Series 2 DirecTivos", of which I have two, running 4.0.1b. The link seems to be unresponsive; is there anywhere to send test streams now? I'd be happy to yank some off and send them along if it'll help someone make this run better with my streams.

--Josh
Any contact information (other than my own) is very old and likely outdated. The official TyStudio project has been dead almost since it's initial release, so sending streams to that ftp server (which I guess is no longer active) won't do any good. Besides, TyStreams tend to be a bit too large to effectively send over ftp unless you break them up into smaller byte-sized chunks. I'm in the process of trying to recruit some new developers to try and fix some of the outstanding issues with TyStudio, so hang on to those streams; I may ask for them later. :)

As for the TiVo side of things, I did update the S2 installer with a new tyindex binary from Numbski, but I cannot say whether it's any better or worse as I only have my trusty S1 to test on. If you try it, you may want to back up your existing installation just in case.

bob #19780417
03-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I tried the beta3 binary, and it craps out on 49% whether the ty file was indexed on the tivo via tyindex or whether it tries to index it inside tyeditor.

So then I tried the source. Installed QT 3 via fink, set the 'export QTDIR=/sw" variable, and compiled. It compiled with X support, so I run it from X. Same exact results. 49%, seg fault. Here is my setup:

Server: DirecTivo DSR704 Series 2 250GB 16mb cache Maxtor, 4.01b, tivowebplus, hackman, vserver, tyserver and tyindex from this thread, both running.

Client: 12" G4 Powerbook 867MHz, 604MB RAM, 17GB free drive space out of 40GB, superdrive, OS X 10.3.8 with every updage I can find. /sw/bin and /sw/sbin are in my path.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

stealthdave
03-16-2005, 04:07 PM
I tried the beta3 binary, and it craps out on 49% whether the ty file was indexed on the tivo via tyindex or whether it tries to index it inside tyeditor.

So then I tried the source. Installed QT 3 via fink, set the 'export QTDIR=/sw" variable, and compiled. It compiled with X support, so I run it from X. Same exact results. 49%, seg fault. Here is my setup:

Server: DirecTivo DSR704 Series 2 250GB 16mb cache Maxtor, 4.01b, tivowebplus, hackman, vserver, tyserver and tyindex from this thread, both running.

Client: 12" G4 Powerbook 867MHz, 604MB RAM, 17GB free drive space out of 40GB, superdrive, OS X 10.3.8 with every updage I can find. /sw/bin and /sw/sbin are in my path.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
You're using a Series 2 Directv TiVo, that's what you're doing wrong. :) Sorry, but that's a known issue with TyStudio. I'm trying to get some developer support going to get the project working with newer TiVos and to squash some other existing bugs, but it will probably take time.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

bob #19780417
03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks. I'll keep checking back. If you need some samples, or a beta tester, let me know.

bob #19780417
03-17-2005, 06:26 PM
For what it is worth, here is the error I get at 49%:

demux:index_edit.c:212: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4283 - bad chunk header - skipping

I get this error about ten times, and then it segfaults. Same exact behavior using X11 version or QT version.

So can anyone tell me any other way to burn S2 ty or tmf files to DVD? Can I parse them through MPlayer?

NoCalME
03-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Use vsplit-mac-3.03b2 to demux your ty files on your Mac. After demuxing, remember to change permissions on the file to read/write, then edit them with MPEGStreamclip.

machead
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Stealthdave (and all others who responded to my post) --
I'll try all your ideas and report back. I'd have come back sooner, but the thread subscription-email notification thing isn't working like I remembered. :(

Thanks again.

bob #19780417
03-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Use vsplit-mac-3.03b2 to demux your ty files on your Mac. After demuxing, remember to change permissions on the file to read/write, then edit them with MPEGStreamclip.

What command line options do you pass to vsplit? I made it work with the -m option, but it gave me an mpeg2 file which will not open in MPEGStreamclip without purchasing the MP2 plugin for Quicktime.

And thanks for the help, BTW.

[EDIT] I've done some more poking around and found this thought. What if I try it without any command line options. I'll get back to you on the results. (I could use a faster mac, but I'm holding out to see if they bring forth a G5 notebook...)

[UPDATE] Same results. Except I get two files instead of one. (1 audio, 1 video)

KeyLargoDave
03-17-2005, 11:56 PM
My procedure is as follows,

Download the Ty file with mfs_ftp, I use vsplit-mac and pass the -m option to obtain an mpeg file that I then open with MPEG Streamclip (I own a license for Quicktime Pro and the MPEG2 addon). I use MPEG Streamclip to do the GOP edits for cutting commercials, etc and the trick is to use convert to HEADED mpeg with Streamclip. I can then import those files directly into Toast and burn my DVD. There is no conversion this way and no resulting loss of quality and no extremely long encoding times. I get a nice menu from toast and am not constrained to the two hour video limit but rather the size of the mpegs that I burn. Works great for me but I'm using a little over $130 of commercial software but I was going to buy those apps anyways.

bob #19780417
03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
My procedure is as follows,

Download the Ty file with mfs_ftp, I use vsplit-mac and pass the -m option to obtain an mpeg file that I then open with MPEG Streamclip (I own a license for Quicktime Pro and the MPEG2 addon). I use MPEG Streamclip to do the GOP edits for cutting commercials, etc and the trick is to use convert to HEADED mpeg with Streamclip.

I think it's probably worth the money for the MPEG2 addon, but not if you can do it without. I'm gathering that if you do it without the MPEG2 addon, you have to downgrade the quality to something that quicktime will already use. I'll buy the MPEG2 addon. But I'm leaning towards using iMovie and iDVD. (I'm such a cheap bastard...)

aersloat
03-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't buy the mpeg-2 add on right now with quicktime 7 & tiger just around the corner. QT 7 is going to be worth having and I am guessing that you would have to buy the add-on again.

bob #19780417
03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't buy the mpeg-2 add on right now with quicktime 7 & tiger just around the corner. QT 7 is going to be worth having and I am guessing that you would have to buy the add-on again.

From what I've read, it should be available from software updates. But we'll see, as I've already bought it.

stealthdave
03-18-2005, 05:14 PM
If you don't mind X11/Fink, there's always Avidemux (http://avidemux.sf.net) for editing. It supports both GOP editing and Frame-accurate editing. The latter currently requires full trans-coding, but the author looking into FAE similar to what TyTools currently uses. It's an excellent tool and runs great on my iBook.

bob #19780417
03-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Here is my current dilemma: After I use vsplit to get one mpeg-2 file out of my ty file, I've got a few choices...

1. I load the file into MPEG StreamClip, edit it, (cut out commertials), then when I try to either export it or save it, MPEG Streamclip segfaults.

2. I load the file into iMovie, as soon as it finishes the import of the file, iMovie segfaults.

3. I have ffmpeg, but I'm not sure what format to convert to. So I have not tried it yet.

I want to burn the shows to DVD, cutting the commercials would be cool too, because USA/TBS/etc. put so many in those rerun 80's movies I like so much.

NoCalME
03-20-2005, 10:15 AM
You don't want to use export or save as in MPEGStreamclip. Instead, use Demux to M2V and M1A or M2V and AC3(if Dolby Digital). This will give you a video and audio stream when it's finished processing.

I use Gumby to patch the header of the .m2v, import into DVD Studio Pro 2, then re-patch the header back to it's orginal state once it's in DVDSP. A tried and true process that works every time.

stealthdave
03-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Let's keep this thread on topic to TyStudio, please. For general editing or OS-specific issues not related to TyStudio, please start a new thread.

- Stealth Dave

aersloat
03-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I tried the TyStudio_0.5.1-b3 binary with two ty files that I pulled down using mfsstream from tivoweb. TyEditor hangs on opening the files at "Getting index times..." The progress bar gets to about 95% before hanging. The X11 TyStudio that I had been using opens and processes the files just fine.

Series 1, MacOS 10.3.8, TiBook.

stealthdave
03-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I tried the TyStudio_0.5.1-b3 binary with two ty files that I pulled down using mfsstream from tivoweb. TyEditor hangs on opening the files at "Getting index times..." The progress bar gets to about 95% before hanging. The X11 TyStudio that I had been using opens and processes the files just fine.

Series 1, MacOS 10.3.8, TiBook.
TyEditor should have left a log file named "editorlog.txt" behind. Does it say anything?

bob #19780417
03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Let's keep this thread on topic to TyStudio, please. For general editing or OS-specific issues not related to TyStudio, please start a new thread.

- Stealth Dave

No problem. Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread. We'll make a new one.

aersloat
03-21-2005, 04:38 PM
TyEditor should have left a log file named "editorlog.txt" behind. Does it say anything?
Yes, the top info is

demux:probe.c:94: Probing TyStream .....
demux:misc.c:152:
demux:misc.c:153: Tystream recorded on:
demux:misc.c:162: SA Tivo Series 1
demux:misc.c:173: Software rev 2.0 or higher
demux:misc.c:176:
demux:misc.c:177: Tystream recoding audio stats:
demux:misc.c:179: MPEG Layer II audio
demux:misc.c:183: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 880
demux:misc.c:184: Audio frame size: 864
demux:misc.c:185: Audio frame time: 3240 (ticks)
demux:misc.c:186:
demux:misc.c:187: Tystream recoding video stats:
demux:misc.c:200: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
demux:misc.c:220:
demux:probe.c:178: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio

Master chunk: 0, Segment size: 2916, Next header: 2914
demux:probe.c:253: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:probe.c:257: Skipping to chunk 0 - reseting chunk numbering

Then it goes to

demux:chunk_read.c:464: Read Chunk: chunk 2914 - chunk is to small - skipping
which repeats with every chunk in sequence to chunk 23221.

The last entry is

demux:chunk_read.c:377: Read Chunk: chunk 23222 - bad chunk header - skipping

greenhornet
03-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi all,
I've already got tyserver running on my DirecTiVo. Could I get some install instructions in plane 'ol english for the Mac side? I'm not great at linux or Unix but very good at following instructions.

Thanks in advance!

roscoe13
03-24-2005, 10:50 PM

Mine's doing the same thing on OSX 10.2.8, here's my editorlog.txt:

demux:probe.c:94: Probing TyStream .....
demux:misc.c:152:
demux:misc.c:153: Tystream recorded on:
demux:misc.c:156: SA Tivo Series 2
demux:misc.c:171: Software rev 3.0 or higher
demux:misc.c:176:
demux:misc.c:177: Tystream recoding audio stats:
demux:misc.c:179: MPEG Layer II audio
demux:misc.c:183: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 492
demux:misc.c:184: Audio frame size: 480
demux:misc.c:185: Audio frame time: 2160 (ticks)
demux:misc.c:186:
demux:misc.c:187: Tystream recoding video stats:
demux:misc.c:200: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
demux:misc.c:220:
demux:probe.c:178: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:probe.c:253: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
demux:probe.c:257: Skipping to chunk 0 - reseting chunk numbering

demux:index_edit.c:264: seq_present_in_chunk: chunk 4796 - chunk is to small - skipping

That's all there is to mine, it gets to about the end of a show, and then crashes...

Peace

greenhornet
03-25-2005, 12:31 AM
:shock: NO ONE can tell me what steps to take to get the software installed on OS X ???!?

stealthdave
03-25-2005, 06:43 PM
:shock: NO ONE can tell me what steps to take to get the software installed on OS X ???!?
Step 1: download the Mac binaries package (http://wiskars.com/tystreamer/bin/TyStudio_0.5.1-b3.dmg) from page 1 of this thread
Step 2: open the TyEditor program

Doesn't get much easier than that. :)

- Stealth Dave

jasch
03-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Question. When I was a pc user (yes, I switched to the dark side). I used to extract files with TyStudio in multiplex format.

I used to watch these files transparently with Windows Media Player (mpeg format).

Why can't I watch this files on OSX? Do I need some kind of library or something? Is it the envelope of the files?

Thanks

malfunct
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Question. When I was a pc user (yes, I switched to the dark side). I used to extract files with TyStudio in multiplex format.

I used to watch these files transparently with Windows Media Player (mpeg format).

Why can't I watch this files on OSX? Do I need some kind of library or something? Is it the envelope of the files?

Thanks

You would need the mac equivalent of tyshow. I don't know if such a thing exists. You might be able to get a mac build of mplayer with ty support built in.

jasch
03-28-2005, 04:44 PM
You would need the mac equivalent of tyshow. I don't know if such a thing exists. You might be able to get a mac build of mplayer with ty support built in.

Perhaps my question was not clear. I am curious as to why I can watch the mpeg on any Windows computer (without any plugins, or any builds of tyshow). And on Mac I get a invalid file format...

I extracted a file, and shared it with the 3 people which have never installed tyshow, and they were able to watch it in Windows Media Player...

stealthdave
03-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Perhaps my question was not clear. I am curious as to why I can watch the mpeg on any Windows computer (without any plugins, or any builds of tyshow). And on Mac I get a invalid file format...

I extracted a file, and shared it with the 3 people which have never installed tyshow, and they were able to watch it in Windows Media Player...
Quicktime (Mac's default media player) can't view MPEG2 out of the box. You either need to purchase the MPEG2-decode module from Apple (~$20 last I checked) or use a third-party app like VLC (http://videolan.org).

I recommend the latter. :)

jasch
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I purchased the MPEG2 option from Apple and it works perfectly in Quicktime.

Thanks

chrsturbo
03-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry to be offline looks like you guys are making progress and anything I can do to help tystudio I will. I still use the mac bins off sourceforge with the tyindex I posted but if your trying to compile the CVS which is what I guess you did then my patch should have fixed the S2 issue. Where do we stand? Can we run off S2 or not and I'll grab the DMG and try it out.

Code Masseur
03-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I have both a Series 1 SA TiVo and Series 2 DirecTiVo. I'm interested in building TyStudio 0.5.1beta 3 from source on my Pismo running OS X 10.3.8 with a standard installation of Fink and XCodeTools 1.5.

Part way through building, make aborted with a complaint about qmake being missing, so I did some research and determined that I needed the Qt package.

Question: is the "qt3" package (acquired from fink's dselect) the most appropriate one to use against this build?

Also, can anyone point me to the most appropriate thread for coordinated development activities? I'd like to see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks.

-Dave

stealthdave
03-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I have both a Series 1 SA TiVo and Series 2 DirecTiVo. I'm interested in building TyStudio 0.5.1beta 3 from source on my Pismo running OS X 10.3.8 with a standard installation of Fink and XCodeTools 1.5.

Part way through building, make aborted with a complaint about qmake being missing, so I did some research and determined that I needed the Qt package.

Question: is the "qt3" package (acquired from fink's dselect) the most appropriate one to use against this build?

Also, can anyone point me to the most appropriate thread for coordinated development activities? I'd like to see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks.

-Dave
Fink's qt3 will work just fine, as well as Trolltech's Qt/Mac, which is what the binaries in the first post are built with.

Roger Dylan
03-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm interested in building TyStudio 0.5.1beta 3 from source on my Pismo

That sounds like a fun and worthwhile activity. Enjoy!

There is, you should know, a precompiled Mac client tyeditor that's been around for almost two years (requires X11) and it works fine on the Pismo with both series 1 and series 2 tivos.

chrsturbo has long ago posted tivo-side biaries for the series 2, tyserver and tyindex. This makes for a good, very usable Mac package.

chrsturbo also posted a series 2 patch for tydemux, but I've always been a little confused about what that's supposed to accomplish and have never implemented it or seemed to miss it.

The "package" I refer to works only for "tivo-resident" shows on the series 2, you can't download them to the Mac (or pc) and edit there. They won't index. No implementation of the tystudio package anywhere I know of, including what is posted in this thread, allows computer-resident shows to be tyedited on a series 2 (on the series 1, of course, anything goes).

The precompiled tyeditor posted in this thread hasn't worked well for me. And as far as I can tell the revised binaries are pretty much the standards, including chrsturbo's tyserver and tyindex, and perhaps his tydemux patch has been applied; so I haven't used them yet.

I think pushing the long-dormant tystudio ahead is a _great_ idea. I very much like the cleanness of that package and would love to see it become an active project again. But I think we're very near the beginning of that enterprise.

Numbski
03-30-2005, 08:54 PM
The S2 patch has been applied to the bins on page one of this thread. It does not resolve the segfault at 49%. Please give it a shot! :)

You will have made my day a thousand times over if you get this working.

Sorry to be offline looks like you guys are making progress and anything I can do to help tystudio I will. I still use the mac bins off sourceforge with the tyindex I posted but if your trying to compile the CVS which is what I guess you did then my patch should have fixed the S2 issue. Where do we stand? Can we run off S2 or not and I'll grab the DMG and try it out.

AlphaWolf
04-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Let me know when all of the issues are all ironed out and provide me with a working source tree. I think I am the only remaining member of the project who has write permissions to the CVS tree.

EDIT: BTW, I seem to have a compile problem with linux:

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la'

I'll update my copy of libtool (and qt while I am at it) and try again later. This is the same computer that I compiled my current copy of tystudio on, although I think the libtool and qt libs might be out of date by about 5 months.

EDIT2: No go, I even did complete system wide package update on portage and it still wont compile.

proggie
04-28-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm told that tystudio will not work with Tiger 10.4. Looks like perhaps it's a Qt library issue. Anyone get it to recompile in 10.4?

stealthdave
04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm told that tystudio will not work with Tiger 10.4. Looks like perhaps it's a Qt library issue. Anyone get it to recompile in 10.4?
Do you have an installation of Tiger 10.4? If so, can you compile either Qt/Mac or Qt/X11 (through Fink, DarwinPorts, whatever)? I believe that a working Qt install is the only major requirement, and that it should build if you get Qt working. I won't have a Tiger install to work on for at least 3-4 weeks, so I can't be much help to you in the short-term.

proggie
04-28-2005, 02:13 PM
My Tiger should be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully I can try on Sat/Sun.

Gollark
04-30-2005, 03:39 AM
Using Tiger and XCode dev tools installed.

I downloaded the source from StealthDave's tarball and the I've built the suite from the source from the CLI.

Now it compiles properly (the sourceforge version definitely doesn't!)

But after connecting to the TiVo and selecting a file to edit and clip-out the commercials.... we get a problem.

The GUI error says:

Error: transcode: transcode.c:290: ERROR: Invalid Output Format

Xterminal says:

tyeditor: illegal option -- t
tyeditor: illegal option -- K
tyStudio tymplex; a port of mjpegtools mplex-2 version 0.3.1
Usage: tyeditor [params] -o <output filename pattern> <input file>...
%d in the output file name is by segment count
where possible params are:
--verbose|-v num
Level of verbosity. 0 = quiet, 1 = normal 2 = verbose/debug
--format|-f fmt
Set defaults for particular MPEG profiles
[0 = Generic MPEG1, 1 = VCD, 2 = user-rate VCD, 3 = Generic MPEG2,
4 = SVCD, 5 = user-rate SVCD
6 = VCD Stills, 7 = SVCD Stills, 8 = DVD with NAV sectors, 9 = DVD]
--mux-bitrate|-r num
Specify data rate of output stream in kbit/sec
(default 0=Compute from source streams)
--video-buffer|-b num [, num...]
Specifies decoder buffers size in kB. [ 20...2000]
--lpcm-params | -L samppersec:chan:bits [, samppersec:chan:bits]
--mux-limit|-l num
Multiplex only num seconds of material (default 0=multiplex all)
--sync-offset|-O num
Specify offset of timestamps (video-audio) in mSec
--sector-size|-s num
Specify sector size in bytes for generic formats [256..16384]
--vbr|-V
Multiplex variable bit-rate video
--packets-per-pack|-p num
Number of packets per pack generic formats [1..100]
--system-headers|-h
Create System header in every pack in generic formats
--max-segment-size|-S size
Maximum size of output file(s) in Mbyte (default: 2000) (0 = no limit)
--split-segment|-M
Simply split a sequence across files rather than building run-out/run-in
--help|-?
Print this lot out!
tyeditor: illegal option --
Bus error

Hmmm... now wot?

Gollark
04-30-2005, 03:56 AM
As per a post in another thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221452#post221452) TyStudio will build on Tiger 10.4. Fink's QT libs installed.

Only problem is that we get two errors if we are trying to do cuts:

GUI error:

ERROR: transcode:transcode.c:290: ERROR: Invalid Output Format

Console error:

tyeditor: illegal option -- t
tyeditor: illegal option -- K
tyStudio tymplex; a port of mjpegtools mplex-2 version 0.3.1
....[snip help listing of possible options]...
tyeditor: illegal option --

This is with the
StealthDave source of tystudio 0.5.1-beta1 (http://wiskars.com/tystreamer/source/tystudio-0.5.1-beta1.tar.bz2)

sparx
05-10-2005, 08:38 PM
What command line options do you pass to vsplit? I made it work with the -m option, but it gave me an mpeg2 file which will not open in MPEGStreamclip without purchasing the MP2 plugin for Quicktime.

You don't want the MP2 plugin for Quicktime; I tried it but found that it will not play these files--been there, done that, paid $20 for S/W that doesn't work. :(

It fails in one of two modes. Sometimes it plays a frame or two of video, then stops updating the video and only plays sound. Otherwise it plays the video without any sound at all.

The free VLC player works fine.

sparx
05-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I purchased the MPEG2 option from Apple and it works perfectly in Quicktime.

Thanks

On my mac it doesn't work at all--are you using QT pro?

proggie
05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
mpeg streamclip + QT MPEG-2 component work fine for playing back and editing movies that have already been extracted from the ty files. I use it right now in my workflow until I can get a 10.4 compatible tystudio. I download the ty file using tystudio, then put it through tyc which spits out an MPEG-2 which I bring into MPEG Streamclip to do editing. I then save as in demuxed form, and take the resulting audio file and transcode it using ffmpegx, and then mux it back. Then I take the resulting mpeg and create a DVD using Sizzle. Whew :)

greenhornet
05-15-2005, 02:20 AM
So that I understand the tiger issue...

Would it be likely that I'm not able to get now showing info? I get the now showing list (and can download) perfectly to my PC running tytools. Is this related to the Tiger problem or did I screw something up in Ty Editor? :confused:

proggie
05-15-2005, 03:29 AM
Initially the problem was that the UI was all screwed up for some people. For me it worked fine, so it must have been related to the type of upgrade that was done, and/or whether developer tools were installed.

I was able to run the GUI and to download to my powerbook, but was not able to process to MPEG2. I got errors when doing that, and no data was written.

Yesterday for a different reason I updated my fink installation, and updated all the dependencies as well. Today I transferred a show via tytools, and on a hunch tried processing it, and IT WORKED!

P.S. This is with the regular X11 based tytools, not a compiled one for tiger. If someone actually gets it all to work as a native tiger app then I'd love to find out the steps they used to get it compiled.

exiva
05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I cant get TyStudio_0.5.1-b3 to run stablely on 10.4.1 =\ it wont process .ty files locally or remotely =\. Just out of curiosity.. Why is TyStudio made using QT instead of Cocoa?

rc3105
05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
QT is what Olaf felt like using at the time

johnsolo
06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
On my mac it doesn't work at all--are you using QT pro?
Same here. Plays the first few frames then video freezes. Whats the point of the $20 mpeg2 codec?!

stealthdave
06-03-2005, 10:06 PM
QT is what Olaf felt like using at the time
Qt can also be compiled on multiple architectures, including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. It was an easy way to provide cross-platform support, which was one of the goals of the project.

- Stealth Dave

enrico
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I have the beta3 source unpacked, and I am sort of at a loss for what to do now. when I type `make', it dies compiling mpeg2dec in libs because it can't find the SDL headers:

video_out_sdl.c:34:21: error: SDL/SDL.h: No such file or directory
video_out_sdl.c:43: error: parse error before "SDL_Surface"
video_out_sdl.c:43: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
video_out_sdl.c:44: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'sdlflags'

I have passed '-I/sw/include' to `make' and also set the CFLAGS env variable to no avail. How are people getting this to compile? I'll use the X11 version or the qt/Mac version -- I just need something! After upgrading to Tiger, my X11 'tyeditor' prebuilt binary croaks with a bus error when trying to process a .ty file. The qt/Mac tyeditor.app (followed the link for the .dmg earlier in this thread) hangs/crashes every time without fail, whether it's a local .ty or remote fetch from my S1 tivo.

Help! Thanks! :)

sazma
06-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for posting the source code!

Are there known issues with S2 streams? If not, I'm running into random crashing. I was able to compile fine and the app starts, but if I try to edit any .ty files, I either get "segfault" or just dumped back to a prompt.

I'm happy to provide strace output if anyone thinks it's helpful.

Is this still the best way to go from DTiVo->DVD (with frame-editing) under Linux, or is there a better solution?

Thanks much.

Update:

Ok so I read the rest of this thread and I see now that I can't edit streams pulled off with mfsftp. Sorry for the bother.