PDA

View Full Version : DSR708 Installed Today - now let the fun begin

wolfhound
03-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Got my DSR708 today. I needed to replace my DSR6000. Now am I thinking that I should have just worked at getting the DSR6000 working again.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is their a good ISO image out there that I can put on a HD and drop into the DSR708? With networking & mfs_ftp?

2) Can this same image be used on the DSR6000?

3) I would like HMO so that I can share between the two units. Am I dreaming?

Thanks.

hayreass
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
1. No
2. No
3. Yes, you're dreaming.
You can share with mfs_ftp, though there are a few hoops to jump through to move from S1 to S2.

wolfhound
03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I guess I am a little confused at this point. PTVupgrades say that they have a networking "kit" that they can sell you. It includes the hard drive, USB to LAN adpator, and a drive adaptor. I don't understand why I can't just use / purchase their software if I already have a HD and the USB to LAN adaptor.

What software are they loading on it to make it all work then?

hayreass
03-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Ahh...
I figured you meant free software.
I do not really know all that PTVupgrade has to offer.
I think their instantcake is just plain vanilla software, allowing you to upgrade harddrives, and Operating Systems, but not applying any hacks. I could be wrong.
Looking at their website, it looks like you have to buy an HD from them if you want to have networking and all the fun stuff done for you.

I don't understand why I can't just use / purchase their software if I already have a HD and the USB to LAN adaptor.Everything they offer is available here for free, so there is no NEED to pay.
The only thing you can't get here is an image, but you can find links to them here.

rfc
03-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I guess I am a little confused at this point. PTVupgrades say that they have a networking "kit" that they can sell you. It includes the hard drive, USB to LAN adpator, and a drive adaptor. I don't understand why I can't just use / purchase their software if I already have a HD and the USB to LAN adaptor.

What software are they loading on it to make it all work then?

For starters, in your first question you asked if there was an ISO out there with Networking and mfs_ftp that you could "drop in" to your new unit.

The answer was correct: NO. You can indeed use/purchase PTVupgrades' software, but the image is not all set up and preconfigured. You do that yourself. So the answer to what you don't understand (above) would be that "you can", but it's slightly more complicated that whatever it was that PTVupgrade led you to believe.

Finally, Series 2 images won't work on Series 1 boxes and vice versa.

wolfhound
03-15-2005, 07:53 AM
I guess I will have to look around for a usable ISO image. I am not sure what is out there so learning about them should be fun. Then collecting up all the hacks I want to apply for a series 2. I think that Alpha Wolf's collection has most of them.

Maybe I am over thinking this and giving myself tired head. I did it to my series 1 so it can't be that much harder.

PlainBill
03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
I guess I will have to look around for a usable ISO image. I am not sure what is out there so learning about them should be fun. Then collecting up all the hacks I want to apply for a series 2. I think that Alpha Wolf's collection has most of them.

Maybe I am over thinking this and giving myself tired head. I did it to my series 1 so it can't be that much harder.
It depends on how you hacked your Series 1. If you used Surgeon's Xtreme (like I did), you learned virtually nothing about hacking your TiVo, you just learned to move drives around and swap cds. If you hacked it manually, you will come up to speed on hacking a Series 2 quickly.

I suggest this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38468) thread for a quick overview.

PlainBill

wolfhound
03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
PlainBill,

I read jlangstn's post and think it will help quite a bit. I hacked my Series 1 as a second in command of the operation however, I am not completly Unix naive. I figure that I will first back up the orginal drive to a new one and then start. I have never used the bash cable that jlangsnt talks about. I have always done it from the drive being connected to a PC.

I was a little confused when he talks about running Sleeper ISO in the HMO superpatch section. Did he run that first but just not call it out in his original post?

After I have the fresh drive here is my plan. Please let me know if I left anything out.

Thank you.

1) Make copy of hard drive (maybe use PTV Upgrade ISO)
2) Test drive to make sure it boots in Dtivo
3) Install killhdinitrd
4) Test drive to make sure it boots in Dtivo
5) Install S2 utility collection (Thanks Alpha Wolf)
6) Install network drivers
7) Install HMO superpatch
8) Install tivoapp patches
9) Install mfs_ftp