PDA

View Full Version : Where is DTivo network access info?

bengalfreak
03-17-2005, 06:50 PM
I would like to get 4.01b going on my DTivo (HDVR2). I am currently waiting for my serial cable to be delivered, but I would like to keep going in the mean time. This means I have to gain network access on my unit while it still has 3.1.1e software on it. I've already dd'd a killhdinitrd'd kernal (3.1.1c) to the appropriate partition.

Can someone please point me to a thread for info on what I do now to get access to my unit from my PC thru my router(wired)? I've done searches ad nauseum and I must just be typing the wrong terms because I come up with maybe ten threads and still can't find the information I need.

Thanks

The Only Druid
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Please read these guides:

Newbie Guide Index (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37434).

Iago
03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Please read these guides:

Newbie Guide Index (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37434).

I recomend the "Newbie 4+x on RID Guide" by HUGE (Series2-Uma6)" for your situation.

bengalfreak
03-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I recomend the "Newbie 4+x on RID Guide" by HUGE (Series2-Uma6)" for your situation.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I want to keep my recordings, so I am going to try and utilize the slice method.

The Only Druid
03-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, but I want to keep my recordings, so I am going to try and utilize the slice method.

Just so you know your alternatives:

Some people find upgrading via slices difficult. I'm saying it is, just that some people feel that way. As such, you MAY find it easier to first hack your 3.1.1e drive, extract all your recordings, and then do a fresh image install (a la the guide linked to you).

One thing you have to realize: beacuse you're trying to keep recordings from pre-hacking, they'll be encrypted AND scrambled. You're going to have to use the s2_unscramble kernel (do a search) to take care of that (along with csoscout.tcl) either way.

PlainBill
03-19-2005, 11:08 AM
And given the magnitude of what you're trying, I'd suggest trying it on a test drive first. Just restoring an image to a drive can be daunting the first time. Doing the whole process several times until you are comfortable with it will increase the chances for sucess with the real drive.

PlainBill

eastwind
03-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Just so you know your alternatives:

Some people find upgrading via slices difficult. I'm saying it is, just that some people feel that way. As such, you MAY find it easier to first hack your 3.1.1e drive, extract all your recordings, and then do a fresh image install (a la the guide linked to you).

One thing you have to realize: beacuse you're trying to keep recordings from pre-hacking, they'll be encrypted AND scrambled. You're going to have to use the s2_unscramble kernel (do a search) to take care of that (along with csoscout.tcl) either way.
Are you saying it is difficult or not :).

It's only necessary to use the s2_unscramble kenel if you want to extract. The recordings will still play (as long as their CSO's are intact) with a patched tivoapp. The patch doesn't prevent playback of scrambled recordings--just keeps the new ones from being encrypted.

ew