PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my killhdinitrd'd kernel to stay put?

mbrubin
03-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm having this odd issue with my TiVo; I must be doing something stupid.

I have an S2 (not a RID unit). It had already been upgraded to 3.1.1e a while ago. So I pulled the drive, ran bootpage to discover my active root was at hda4, and dd'd a 3.1.1c kernel over to hdd3 (since my drive was really at hdd). I then ran killhdinitrd on hdd3 and all went well; killhdinitrd reported success and let me know my kernel was the 3.1.1c kernel.

I created an rc.sysinit.author with the command to run bash over serial, ran chmod 755 on the file, and booted up the drive in my TiVo (I'm shortening the story here--went through a lot of process of elimination), but I got no communication from my TiVo. I pulled the drive again, booted up in my PC, and run bootpage again. I'm told the active root has not changed. *But*, if I run killhdinitrd again on hdd3, I'm told I have an invalid kernel. The next time, I make sure to dd to both hdd3 and hdd6 and killhdinitrd on both of them. Again success. Boot up in the TiVo, no serial (or telnet or ping if I try setting up ethernet, too). Remount in my PC, run bootpage, and my active root is still hdd4, but again, if I run killhdinitrd on hdd3, I've got an invalid kernel. Run it on hdd6, and success.

What's odd is that I could swear I'm running through the same process I've run through before successfully. I hosed something hacking around the other day, so I restored a valid image and just went to set things up again, and I've hit this snag. I sure would love some help.

Thanks in advance.

The Only Druid
03-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm having this odd issue with my TiVo; I must be doing something stupid.
Usually is true, but thats true for all of us.

I have an S2 (not a RID unit).
Please be specific. I assume you mean Series 2 DirecTivo since you're running 3.1.1e and not 4.x, 5.x or 7.x.

It had already been upgraded to 3.1.1e a while ago.
Upgraded how? Normal Tivo upgrades?

So I pulled the drive, ran bootpage to discover my active root was at hda4, and dd'd a 3.1.1c kernel over to hdd3 (since my drive was really at hdd). I then ran killhdinitrd on hdd3 and all went well; killhdinitrd reported success and let me know my kernel was the 3.1.1c kernel.
The smart process is to take a virgin [appropriate] kernel, create a copy, apply killhdinitrd to the copy, and then dd this kill'd kernel to the appropriate partition. It reduces the options for errors.

I created an rc.sysinit.author with the command to run bash over serial, ran chmod 755 on the file, and booted up the drive in my TiVo (I'm shortening the story here--went through a lot of process of elimination), but I got no communication from my TiVo.
Did you alter the bootpage to (a) prevent future upgrades and (b) enable bash? You don't say so here, so I'm assuming not. That itself would mean no serial bash, though not your normal networking. If you're running 3.1.1e, you have an additional problem: 3.1.1e doesn't include any network drivers. You need to copy them to your /lib/modules/ directory, and load them via your .author file.

I pulled the drive again, booted up in my PC, and run bootpage again. I'm told the active root has not changed. *But*, if I run killhdinitrd again on hdd3, I'm told I have an invalid kernel.
I'm fairly certain you cannot successfully apply killhdinitrd to a previously kill'd kernel.

The next time, I make sure to dd to both hdd3 and hdd6 and killhdinitrd on both of them. Again success. Boot up in the TiVo, no serial (or telnet or ping if I try setting up ethernet, too). Remount in my PC, run bootpage, and my active root is still hdd4, but again, if I run killhdinitrd on hdd3, I've got an invalid kernel. Run it on hdd6, and success.
See all of the above.

What's odd is that I could swear I'm running through the same process I've run through before successfully. I hosed something hacking around the other day, so I restored a valid image and just went to set things up again, and I've hit this snag. I sure would love some help.

Thinking about it, I'd bet solid money that (a) you didn't copy your drivers over, (b) you didn't copy tivoftpd/mfs_ftp over, (c) you didn't alter your bootpage to prevent upgrades/enable serial bash.

PlainBill
03-19-2005, 12:37 AM
The only thing I will add to The Only Druid's comments is:

For the nest few week, we are going to hear a lot about 'March Madness'. 64 college basketball teams are fighting to get into the 'Sweet 16', 'Final Four', and eventually become champions. All of these teams got this far because they worked as a team - and this means communiction.

We CANNOT troubleshoot a problem by guesswork. Instructions for making a serial cable are in the Series 1 support forum, the How Tos Only thread. Build, buy, or borrow one, hook it up, and see what the boot messages say.

PlainBill

rfc
03-19-2005, 07:02 AM
What, precisely, is the bootpage command you are using?

mbrubin
03-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Okay, many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I left a ton of information out, you're right--apologies. Rather than waste everyone's time answering all the good questions you asked, I should let it drop, since in the process of working on the machine, I seem to have fried my satellite inputs. Sigh. I guess I can ask a different question. I have a Hughes HDVR2; is it worth getting those inputs fixed? Where would I go to have that done?

rfc
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Okay, many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I left a ton of information out, you're right--apologies. Rather than waste everyone's time answering all the good questions you asked, I should let it drop, since in the process of working on the machine, I seem to have fried my satellite inputs. Sigh. I guess I can ask a different question. I have a Hughes HDVR2; is it worth getting those inputs fixed? Where would I go to have that done?

How did you determine that the inputs are fried? How did you fry them?

mbrubin
03-19-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure exactly. But after one of my attempts to get stuff working, everything booted up, but my wife noticed a plasticy burning smell. I ran over and unplugged the machine. Couldn't see what was wrong. I let things cool down for a bit, and rebooted. Everything was fine, but the TiVo couldn't acquire data from the satellite (no progress at all). I tried restoring to a known good image, rebooted, and the same results. Then I tried a satellite test. Receiver two showed a signal, but not reciever one. I tried swapping my coax cables, but got the same results. On some future tests, I couldn't always get a consistent signal on the second receiver, but never got anything on the first. I tried with another DVR, and both receivers for it are getting signals.