PDA

View Full Version : Resize/Re-encode .ty stream for DVD Compliance

rbautch
03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I've had great luck using TyTools, VideoReDo, and DVDLab to make DVDs without re-encoding. They play fine on 2 of my 3 DVD players. For a few extractions, my primary goal is compatibility with as many players as possible, so I'm looking for a simple way to re-encode .ty streams at 352x480 using Tmpgenc, CCE, or Vegas5 (don't care about quality loss from re-encode). As expected, my initial attemps yielded A/V synch inssues. Can someone point me in the right direction to re-encode/resize properly?

captain_video
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Since you indicated that there was no re-encoding involved I'll assume you have a DTivo and not a SA model. There are a lot of factors involved with DVD player compatibility and tyDVD playback. One of the most obvious is whether the player will recognize 480X480 as a viable resolution. I'd have to say that probably 99% of all recent model players will play SVCDs and will therefore recognize the 480X480 resolution.

Another issue is the mpeg layer II audio soundtrack on all non-Dolby Digital soundtracks. Not all players will recognize this type of soundtrack and converting the mpeg layer II to AC-3 is required for full compatibility. One of the most important factors that is often overlooked is whether the player is compatible with recordable DVD formats. Players older than 3 or 4 years old are not always compatible with recordable DVDs and even then may be limited to either the "-" or "+" format. Current model players still suffer from this lack of universal compatibility and are limited to only one of the two recordable formats.

To date I have yet to find a recent model player than would not play a tyDVD burned on either DVD-R or DVD-RW disc. The only player I've used that would not play them was an older Toshiba that would not recognize recordable DVDs in any format.

Transcoding your videos is a really bad idea and usually results in degraded image quality. It also takes an extremely long time to transcode a DVD. My advice to you is, if your player is not compatible with your recorded DVDs then get a new player. If you're sharing your discs with family and friends and their players won't play them then my advice would extend to them as well. You can get a cheap Cyberhome player for about $35 at Best Buy that will play anything you throw at it. Don't waste your time transcoding standard definition recordings as you will not be happy with the results.