PDA

View Full Version : Disabling/Deleting ShadowC

jkrell
03-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Has anyone here ever disabled/deleted their shadowc drive? I want to get rid of this feature on my Xbox (I just don't see the point) and would like your thoughts before doing it.

wsly
03-24-2005, 04:22 PM
you should be able to load a game save exploit... ftp in and delete the shadowc folder from your xbox e:\ drive, then delete all files (from c:\) and restore your original c:\ drive from backup. After that go get "Softmod Installer Deluxe v2" from the usual sources and use that to softmod your xbox....

I also recommend "Auto Installer Deluxe" cd to load apps and preferred dash after soft modding.

jkrell
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
you should be able to load a game save exploit... ftp in and delete the shadowc folder from your xbox e:\ drive, then delete all files (from c:\) and restore your original c:\ drive from backup. After that go get "Softmod Installer Deluxe v2" from the usual sources and use that to softmod your xbox....

I also recommend "Auto Installer Deluxe" cd to load apps and preferred dash after soft modding.

This may be a stupid question, since I am new to game save exploits -- why do I need to softmod again after deleting the shadowc folder? Won't restoring my C:\ drive from backup get me to where I left off before deleting the shadowc?

EDIT -- to add to why I am asking such a stupid question, I feel it important to note that I find the whole shadowc thing mystifying. Quite frankly, I wish I had never enabled it.

EDIT2 -- never mind; just read your post in the other thread. This makes a LITTLE bit of sense to me now. I still think, however, that if I were to use a game save exploit to delete the shadowc, then all I'd have to do is restore the C:\ from backup and I'd be good to go? No?

This is all very confusing to me, so apologies for coming across like an ***** on this one.

wsly
03-24-2005, 08:48 PM
no worries...

and the answer to "edit 2" is yes,

if you use a game save exploit to gain ftp access to your xbox you will be bypassing the uxe exploit that is referencing the shadowc, thus allowing you to access the true c drive. Once you have access you will probably want to delete all files on c:\ and ftp back over your backup ( I assume from your post that the backup is a backup of your softmod ).

Once your back where you want to be just delete the shadowc folder from e:\

Warclock
03-24-2005, 11:17 PM
It will work without shadowc. Nkpatcher enables a "shadow c" drive that can completely hide your mod.

There are couple of softmods available. With savegame exploit, no need shadowc but xbdashboard.xbe will be patch

With Nkpatcher, just create shadow c, it will boot up from the shadow c, then keep the original c:\ xbox without change.

To find out if you have the latest xbox update, look for this folder on your C:\
xboxdashdata.185ead00 <----If it's a different number than this, then it's an old dashboard.

jkrell
03-25-2005, 12:21 AM
no worries...

and the answer to "edit 2" is yes,

if you use a game save exploit to gain ftp access to your xbox you will be bypassing the uxe exploit that is referencing the shadowc, thus allowing you to access the true c drive. Once you have access you will probably want to delete all files on c:\ and ftp back over your backup ( I assume from your post that the backup is a backup of your softmod ).

Once your back where you want to be just delete the shadowc folder from e:\

OK, I think I'll experiment with the game save hack stuff when I have the time (which will not be anytime soon, given how work has been lately). Many thanks for your patience, wsly. And, yes, the backup is of my softmod, not of the original retail drive.