PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Mpeg Replacement

darrin75
03-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Has anyone considered replaying the mpeg encoder on the the tivo with a modified one able to play regular mpeg as well. I know mplayer would be a place to start??

The Only Druid
03-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Has anyone considered replaying the mpeg encoder on the the tivo with a modified one able to play regular mpeg as well. I know mplayer would be a place to start??
For someone w/ 109 posts, I have to admit this post of yours seems rather surprising...

1) Replacing an ENCODER would do nothing to enable playback, since DECODERS handle playback.
2) You'd have to replace the entire tivoapp, which is far beyond simple patching: it'd require fully compiling a new peice of software that not only accomplished all the existing functions of tivoapp (which is basically impossible, since tivoapp's source code is closed-source), but also playback of standard mpeg.
3) mplayer would NOT be a start: its unrelated.

I think you ought to just do a search, and find the front-page post about converting mpegs to ty files.

alldeadhomiez
03-29-2005, 12:20 AM

In case you haven't noticed, posts like this generally get nuked when you put them somewhere inappropriate like Series2 Development. I'd recommend putting them in the newbie forum, but they probably don't even belong there either. Maybe TCF would be a more appropriate place.

Moved to Sewer.

darrin75
03-29-2005, 12:22 AM
109 post has nothing to do with anything. I have been around the block a few times, but don't know it all, I have the whole setup ty converting etc, streaming from one tivo to another. In my personal opinion tivo hacking from my end is at a stand still, I just think that hacking the tivo to play different kind of media would be a direction no one has accomplished yet. i know alot about hacking, but who said a was a genious about mpeg structure and decoders and encoders etc...

darrin75
03-29-2005, 12:24 AM
This is the exact reason hacking is at a stand still..Everyone is so darn pushy..I will take the sewer, I guess i need to hack my way out of the sewer now right...See me go..

mrblack51
03-29-2005, 12:36 AM
This is the exact reason hacking is at a stand still

I dont see hacking at a standstill at all. once again a sewer post which assumes as much...not surprising. just because mplayer or <insert random hot app of the week that you are interested in> doesnt work on tivo doesnt mean that hacking is at a standstill. there are active dev projects in researching IDL files, BRF files, the new TivoToGo stuff, HME, HMO superpatch ports, etc. new versions negate old hacks and require new ones. if you think tivo hacking is dead, then you havent opened your eyes.

and, if you truely think tivo hacking is at a standstill, why not publish a hack you have done to help revive it? complaining that others should do something does nothing.

alldeadhomiez
03-29-2005, 12:40 AM
i know alot about hacking, but who said a was a genious about mpeg structure and decoders and encoders etc...

Dude...

You didn't know the difference between an encoder and a decoder.

You didn't know that mplayer isn't something that comes on a chip. If you did, you didn't know that decoding is done in hardware because the host CPU can't handle it.

You didn't know that the Broadcom chip is an off-the-shelf part, which doesn't play tyStream files directly.

You don't understand the big picture, nor do you understand the small picture.

I haven't looked through your posting history; have you written any code yet? If not, you don't "know alot about hacking," and you certainly aren't qualified to comment on why "hacking is at a stand still."

Disconnect
03-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Posting history? its pretty entertaining.

How about this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41066) gem, from just a couple of months ago..?

darrin75
03-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Ahh just another s-ass

Roger Dylan
03-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Has anyone considered replaying the [adding in parallel to] the mpeg encoder [decoder] on the the tivo with a modified [new] one able to play regular mpeg as well. I know [suggest] mplayer would be a place to start?

You might want to research a little more and polish up your ideas before posting here, but sure, no reason Tivo can't play back mpeg. In my limited view of it, you're going to need the called resources of an external pc, but I've been amazed before by things I thought were impossible given processor/memory limitations.

There is work being done on the _thrust_ of your suggestion. But (again my pedestrian view), why bother? There are 101 ways of playing back mpeg on your TV or computer. Implementing this on a third-rate computer like the Tivo would not be easy or particularly useful enough to justify the effort. Convenience factor, I guess.

darrin75
03-29-2005, 01:35 AM
I am not trying to offend anyone, but some people have rude comments, i am not talking about being placed here by no means, hey just because i have alot of post does not mean i know everything, also yeah maybe i should read more etc, but i bet the ones that make smart remarks, do not have a job. So they can read every post etc. Everyone is has an opinion, but i think it would be awesome for the tivo do this, Listen i have an mvp so yeah i can play back regular mpeg on the tv, so i know all about that stuff, they are limited as well, it would just be nice to a ONE unit that does it all, not 50 remotes, switching from video1 to channel 3. All i am say it would be nice for some people, the only people i see working on this is bbc and nova1 which have done outstanding work, but sure don't see that many old timers helping them out. Although i may be wrong, be it sure does not look like in the development thread.. Peace to all

Roger Dylan
03-29-2005, 02:01 AM
it would just be nice to a ONE unit that does it all

I'm not totally disagreeing with you. Your (I think self-admitted) naiive suggestion might have been taken as an item of serious discussion, perhaps even as a challenge, at another time or place, not that there's anything wrong with this place at this time.

But even in a different environment, I'd be opinioning that the Tivo is just not up to it (though I'd be hoping to be proved wrong).

Anyway, you have my compliments on a good suggestion, in essence (though I'm sure you'd agree you could have phrased it better). By not doing so, your post is now located in a place that's not conducive to any serious discussion.

AlphaWolf
03-29-2005, 02:52 AM

You probably mean a decoder, and you already know of the only way to even remotely approach doing what you are suggesting.

That said, heres a project that I can suggest that you get started on:

1. Reverse engineer and fully document the tivo MRV protocols.
2. Write a linux or win daemon that can do tystream extraction and insertion via these protocols.
3. Write another daemon that will use bcc's code (whose existence you are already aware of) to automatically convert video files that it finds into tystreams on demand, and broadcast this information in the MRV protocol so that these streams are available for download to all MRV enabled tivos on the local network.

Theres your solution; let us know how you progress on it.

mrblack51
03-29-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm not totally disagreeing with you. In the dealdatabase of a couple of years ago, your (I think self-admitted) naiive suggestion would have been taken as an item of serious discussion, perhaps even as a challenge. In today's environment, you're in the "sewer."

Anyway, you have my compliments on a good suggestion, in essence (though I'm sure you'd agree you could have phrased it better). In our current context that is simply unforgivable, thus the location of our discussion.

possibly, possibly not. your consistent indications toward a "bygone era" if you will do nothing but foster discontent. if you feel that such a horrible condition exists, I recommend either finding another forum or doing something positive - rather than complaining about how things are. you are perpetuating the same cycle as the OP of this thread - complaining about what isnt rather than doing something.

his question is not unforgivable, but rather the method in which it was delivered. any person who comes in full of half baked crap without any research is probably going to be treated the same. if he had posted a legitimate discussion thread, especially if he had referenced other threads he saw and indicated what he had tried, he probably would have gotten a different response. in contrast, he chose to respond poorly, hence here the thread rests.

in short, i grow tired of your attitude. please take some time to contemplate the purpose of your statements, because i can assure you that they lack positive value.

edit: note that this bygone era was also more permissive towards service theft. many leechers would like this to come back. however, times have changed, and the board has grown exponentially. if you expect the board to operate with 2000 users to operate in the same way as 40000 users, then you are highly mistaken. besides, be happy this isnt ps2nfo.com (http://ps2banz.pxn-os.com/)

alldeadhomiez
03-29-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm not totally disagreeing with you. In the dealdatabase of a couple of years ago, your (I think self-admitted) naiive suggestion would have been taken as an item of serious discussion, perhaps even as a challenge. In today's environment, you're in the "sewer."

So, let me get this straight: you're disappointed that suggestions that are clearly unworkable, uninformed, and posted in the wrong forum are no longer taken seriously?

Yeah, big loss. :rolleyes:

If you ask me, the damn thing is working pretty well as is.

Roger Dylan
03-29-2005, 09:27 AM
your complaints lack positive value

Your point is valid and I certainly respect the source.

Though my "complaint" here was simply pointing out to the OP that he wasn't going to get any constructive reaction to his suggestion here and now, phrased as it was, I'm going to edit my post to remove anything that appears of a complaining nature.

I appreciate the guidance.

darrin75
03-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Everyone forgive the child in me...Go forum...