PDA

View Full Version : HDVR2 reboots every few mins

DFENS
03-31-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi folks:

A few months ago I successfully hacked my HDVR2 to a 4.01 image using Haderack's modified Sleeper ISO approach. Recordings were descrambled, TivoWebPlus, MFS_FTP, telnet, etc. all working fine. It was working great with no problems until last night.

Last night I came home and the system was in a cycle of rebooting itself every few minutes. It would boot, come up, download the guide data from the satellite, and start showing video. This would last for a few mins (no more than 10) and then the system would spontaneously reboot and go through the whole process again. If I was watching recorded material or live didn't matter.

What DID matter, however, was that if I went into the phone setup and forced the call, it would stay up as long as the call was going on (which lasted for quite a while, downloading for well over 10 mins). After it was done, it would eventually reboot and start the cycle again. The call was reported as successful.

About the only thing I can think of is that I have some PPVs that are still on the Purchase list that for whatever reason haven't been cleared. They are from last December and beyond (stuff my family ordered). I don't want to avoid paying for them, just haven't figured out how to get them recorded by DirectTV given the system hacks. And I would have thought the call being successful would have done it anyway. Is it possible the 4.0 image is interfering with that? Would the system start this continuous reboot cycle because of the PPV stuff? There aren't a lot, maybe 4-5 orders on the list.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

DFENS!

smokey75
03-31-2005, 11:39 AM
I've got a 3.x (don't remember exactly the code as I'm away from it) RID DVR40. It's doing exactly the same thing as you described and it looks to have started in the afternoon yesterday.

I'm travelling at the moment so I'm running only on what my wife told me. I'll be able to check into more when I get back later today, but any ideas that people have would be appreciated.

The PPV issue you mentioned is almost certainly not the issue as I haven't purchased any in months and it should get uploaded to DTV on I believe a weekly basis. Even if it hadn't reported, DTV just knocks down your PPV level to $.01 so you can't purchase additional movies.... they shouldn't be affecting all your other viewing.

smokey75
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
I continued reading the forums after seeing this thread and found one that seems like it's a similar issue.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42737

In this thread, someone links to another thread from last year where this happened also. It seems that it may be related to Season Passes and guide data being corrupted. Check it out .... Hopefully this will work when I get back home.

DFENS
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the pointer. It does sound similar. I will try to clear the guide data tonight and see if it resolves the problem. I'll back up my Season Passes, etc. first so I can restore them if the fix works.

Will post what I find tonight one way or another.

Thanks!

DFENS!

I continued reading the forums after seeing this thread and found one that seems like it's a similar issue.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42737

In this thread, someone links to another thread from last year where this happened also. It seems that it may be related to Season Passes and guide data being corrupted. Check it out .... Hopefully this will work when I get back home.

alldeadhomiez
03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Last night I came home and the system was in a cycle of rebooting itself every few minutes. It would boot, come up, download the guide data from the satellite, and start showing video. This would last for a few mins (no more than 10) and then the system would spontaneously reboot and go through the whole process again. If I was watching recorded material or live didn't matter.

Wow... and all this happened without writing a single log message or error on the serial console?

AMAZING. :rolleyes:

Moved to Newbie.

DFENS
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
The last log message (in the messages log) before every restart is that it was doing an emergency /var cleanup.

DFENS
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Wow...and you figured out how to move it to Newbie without even noticing that other people were having the same problem in a different thread. Pretty impressive. One day maybe I can be a super-moderator like you too!

I guess the Series 2 Support group is only for really smart guys like you. Because only smart guys need questions answered.

Wow... and all this happened without writing a single log message or error on the serial console?

Moved to Newbie.

AhoyMatey
03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
One day maybe I can be a super-moderator like you too!
Looking at the content of your whole 4 posts, that seems highly unlikely.

BTW, saying that your TiVo is rebooting every few minutes with no info on what's in the logfiles is like asking "how long is a piece of string?".

DFENS
03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks, I'll give your thoughts all the consideration they are due. Based on the sheer genius reflected in your posting, I'm actually quite glad it's highly unlikely. Good luck in your quest to be a moderator. You sound like you'll fit in well.

Looking at the content of your whole 4 posts, that seems highly unlikely.

BTW, saying that your TiVo is rebooting every few minutes with no info on what's in the logfiles is like asking "how long is a piece of string?".

AhoyMatey
03-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I'll give your thoughts all the consideration they are due. Based on the sheer genius reflected in your posting, I'm actually quite glad it's highly unlikely. Good luck in your quest to be a moderator. You sound like you'll fit in well.Funny, I wouldn't have thought that you had the capability to recognize genius when you saw it. Go figure.

Enjoy your time in the sewer - 'cos that's where this is all heading, I'm sure.

alldeadhomiez
03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Wow...and you figured out how to move it to Newbie without even noticing that other people were having the same problem in a different thread. Pretty impressive.

Oops, didn't realize it was a redundant thread.

Moved to Sewer.

justmike
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Wow what a while ride ... I was reading the thread well ADH was moving it to the sewer and low and behold I woke up in the sewer ... And I wasn't even drinking, honest offsseerrr! :D

SR712
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I must have missed something... did anyone answer the "How long is a piece of string" question? Just curious.... :D :rolleyes:

NutKase
03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry, but I must have missed something... did anyone answer the "How long is a piece of string" question? Just curious.... :D :rolleyes:

The 'sewer' is where the most 'interesting' (comical) posts end up. /me thinks that they're where I have the most fun...

NutKase

maule
03-31-2005, 09:32 PM
i've been able to convince my wife that that 6" string is really 9". :eek:

AhoyMatey
03-31-2005, 09:35 PM
i've been able to convince my wife that that 6" string is really 9". :eek:Lemme guess - she always takes her glasses off?

:D

PlainBill
03-31-2005, 09:46 PM
i've been able to convince my wife that that 6" string is really 9". :eek:
That's why she's such a bad driver.

(Several highly inflamatory responses were considered and rejected). :D

PlainBill

captain_video
04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
i've been able to convince my wife that that 6" string is really 9".
Mine thinks it's a 12-inch rope. :D

justmike
04-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Mine thinks it's a 12-inch rope. :D

I always thought it was what you did with the rope and not the size? :confused: