PDA

View Full Version : Folders in Now Playing List.

mackaframa
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Okay,

I have read that the folders are part of the software upgrade, but I thought that part of the hacking I did blocked the updating. Folders appeared on my list yesterday for the first time. I still have net access, and TiVoWebPlus, telnet, and FTP still all work.

I am just wondering if the presence of these folders has undone any of my hacks, and what I need to do to replace them.

Thanks

The Only Druid
03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Okay,

I have read that the folders are part of the software upgrade, but I thought that part of the hacking I did blocked the updating. Folders appeared on my list yesterday for the first time. I still have net access, and TiVoWebPlus, telnet, and FTP still all work.

I am just wondering if the presence of these folders has undone any of my hacks, and what I need to do to replace them.

Thanks
F*cking hell, why does NO ONE know how to properly provide information when asking questions?
1) What hardware are you running?
2) What software version were you running? What version are you running now/

Now, as to your point, I'm tempted to think you're just outright mistaken or lying, because there's no way (to my knowledge) for an upgrade to have been installed and NOT remove your hacks.

mackaframa
03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
F*cking hell, why does NO ONE know how to properly provide information when asking questions?
1) What hardware are you running?
2) What software version were you running? What version are you running now/

Now, as to your point, I'm tempted to think you're just outright mistaken or lying, because there's no way (to my knowledge) for an upgrade to have been installed and NOT remove your hacks.

Now exactly why would I LIE about a problem?

1. I have a Philips DSR-704 (40 GB Series 2 DTivo)
2. I bought the S2 SA InstaCake CD from PTV and the Enhanced Boot Iso
3. I pulled the image from the instacake cd and loaded it on a new 120 GB
4. After not having success with this guide http://nh-gym.com/4xrid.htm , I did some searching and discover that I needed a 3.1.1c series2 kernel, and I had to killirdinitd it....
5. After completing this, I got a USB200M, and telnet'd in and installed superpatch as instructed in the guide, and then I installed TiVoWebPlus.)

My system has been up and running fine for about 3 months. About a month ago, my /var directory did get reset, but I reinstalled everything, and have been working fine every since...occasionally I lose telnet and ftp access, but after a restart they come back....

I don't know if an update is installed at all, what I DO know is that as of yesterday, I have folders in my "Now Playing List" and I thought that was a function of new software.

I did not check the version on the software, but...what I do know is that I still have:

1. An active network connection (usb200m to dlink bridge to wireless router)
2. Telnet access
3. HMO options are still availible
4. TiVoWebPlus still seems to work, I pulled up the "Now Playing List" though the ui gui, and it showed the programs (without folders), though I did not try to view or download any programs.

AhoyMatey
03-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Err, 4.x has always had folders. How silly of Druid to not search every post you've ever made to try and figure out what software version you have. :rolleyes:

mackaframa
03-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Err, 4.x has always had folders. How silly of Druid to not search every post you've ever made to try and figure out what software version you have. :rolleyes:

Well, I was pretty sure that the software hadn't been upgraded either, but any ideas how the folders just appeared? I mean, I've had the 4.x for 3 months, and have had as many as 10 episodes of the same program at once, and never saw folders before yesterday.

And btw, I wasn't expecting him to search my posts, I was just to lazy to retype my configuration so I searched for it, and pasted it.

Gunnyman
03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, I was pretty sure that the software hadn't been upgraded either, but any ideas how the folders just appeared? I mean, I've had the 4.x for 3 months, and have had as many as 10 episodes of the same program at once, and never saw folders before yesterday.

And btw, I wasn't expecting him to search my posts, I was just to lazy to retype my configuration so I searched for it, and pasted it.

Does ANYONE else have access to your TiVo?
Is it even POSSIBLE some one else turned them on? or YOU did without realizing it?

AhoyMatey
03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
You probably accidentally hit the number 1 or 2 button on the remote while in Now Playing.

mcomer
03-31-2005, 04:35 PM

You can turn folders on and off, and if I remember correctly they're off by default with 4.0 (to preserve the look-and-feel of prior versions and avoid confusing people just after the upgrade I suppose). The "1" and "2" buttons on the remote change options on the Now Showing list - one changes sort options, one turns folders on and off - I forget which one does which. You probably pressed it accidentally, causing folders to "appear".

Matt

mackaframa
03-31-2005, 04:44 PM
You can turn folders on and off, and if I remember correctly they're off by default with 4.0 (to preserve the look-and-feel of prior versions and avoid confusing people just after the upgrade I suppose). The "1" and "2" buttons on the remote change options on the Now Showing list - one changes sort options, one turns folders on and off - I forget which one does which. You probably pressed it accidentally, causing folders to "appear".

Matt

Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not lying :rolleyes:

hayreass
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not lying :rolleyes:
The Druid gave 2 options, 1 of them being you were mistaken.
He didn't say you were a liar.
Turns out you were mistaken.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
The Druid gave 2 options, 1 of them being you were mistaken.
He didn't say you were a liar.
Turns out you were mistaken.

Yes, 2 options...I was mistaken, or lying.....which I was mistaken because I did not know folders were ALWAYS there, and neither did he. He claimed "mistaken" or "lying" not because I (or he) didn't know they were always there, but because there was something wrong with what I said in the post, which is incorrect. I was not mistaken in the fashion he stated, I was not lying, and I did not say that I definately had an upgrade, I simply wanted to know where the folders came from, and if any of my hacks were affected by their presence.

I never claimed to be some exception to the rule that kept hacks through an upgrade, as his even mentioning the term "lying" would imply.

PortlandPaw
04-01-2005, 10:00 AM
mackaframa, you got a raw deal. Druid, you've got to lighten up.

Let's keep this a fun hobby, not a forum where only the brave dare to tread.

Thinkdiff
04-01-2005, 10:33 AM
hahaha.. it's pretty freaking funny to see this guy get upset over Druid "calling him a liar" and not even knowing 4.0 had folders when you never told him you were running 4.0!! HA! Got some balls.. :rolleyes:

The Only Druid
04-01-2005, 11:00 AM
mackaframa, you got a raw deal. Druid, you've got to lighten up.

Let's keep this a fun hobby, not a forum where only the brave dare to tread.
For the record: I was right, he was entirely mistaken about his situation. He was unaware of the prior existence of folders, and would have discovered the prior existence of folders if he'd simply looked at Tivo's own information on the 4.x software.

Why did I suggest he might be lying? Partially because I was being ironic: implying, by the unliklihood of his lying, that his was almost certainly mistaken. The other part of my reason though was that he -might- have been lying. People have posted incorrect information to cover their own mistakes any number of time on these boards.

I'm curious though as to what you mean by "raw deal"? The phrase, as I understand it, refers to where someone cheats, rips-off, or otherwise doesn't treat someone appropriate in a transaction. I gave him the right answer: he was mistaken. I post helping people almost every day, and while I most certainly cannot claim to have contributed code/software to this community, I do work to help people use those tools others provide. You've been here longer than I have, and posted more than I have, but I have no idea about the content of your posts. However I'm not going to do what you did, and assume anything negative. I'm not going to assume you've been anything less than helpful to others. You, on the other hand, did make that assumption about me.

I think this hobby is fun so long as people don't disrupt it. People posting inadequate info, misleading info, asking redundant questions, etc. all disrupt it.

PortlandPaw
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
[raw deal means]..or otherwise doesn't treat someone appropriateWhich part of your first quote is treating mackaframa appropriate?

I'm not saying you're not correct in your assertions, only that you could make your point without resorting to profanity and insults.

Your help is certainly appreciated by those who avail themselves of your expertise. Just be a little more patient with those who haven't learned all the tricks of answering questions by themselves and/or asking questions of others. That's all I'm saying.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
hahaha.. it's pretty freaking funny to see this guy get upset over Druid "calling him a liar" and not even knowing 4.0 had folders when you never told him you were running 4.0!! HA! Got some balls.. :rolleyes:

Look...I did not know I had folders up until yesterday. Their presence is something that I have not even seen mentioned about 4.x. The only reason why I even know that the folders exist, is because I know that DirecTv has recently "upgraded" DTiVo users to a new software version, but the only feature that they turned on is folders. I thought momentarily that I had received this update somehow when I saw the folders....but I immediately checked my network connections, my HMO options, telnet, and TiVoWeb, and they all still worked.

Then I came here, looked through all the recent Newbie threads, and the recent Series 2 threads to see if this had happened to anyone else recently, and what they did to fix it.

I then did a search on "folders" and found the same info about the DTV upgrade, and THEN I made my post.

Thinkdiff
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Besides all that, you failed to do the most obvious thing.. Knowing and posting what software version you are currently running. That is, perhaps, the most important part of information needed to diagnose a problem..

hayreass
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Then I'd feel pretty confident in saying you do not read enough before posting questions.
It's all but impossible to do any research on 4.x and not encounter anything about folders.
I went and checked, some of the very threads you have posted in mention folders, and that folders are the main/only reason some folks change to 4.x software.
Especially folks with only 1 TiVo.

psxboy
04-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Then I'd feel pretty confident in saying you do not read enough before posting questions.
It's all but impossible to do any research on 4.x and not encounter anything about folders.
I went and checked, some of the very threads you have posted in mention folders, and that folders are the main/only reason some folks change to 4.x software.
I agree...

I found this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=211587#post211587), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209260#post209260), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205551#post205551), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204374#post204374), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201397#post201397), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194579#post194579), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192272#post192272), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=190837#post190837), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=189558#post189558), this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187904#post187904), and this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187686#post187686), all clearly stating that 4.x has folders, before I stopped looking.

-psxboy

The Only Druid
04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Which part of your first quote is treating mackaframa appropriate?

I'm not saying you're not correct in your assertions, only that you could make your point without resorting to profanity and insults.

Your help is certainly appreciated by those who avail themselves of your expertise. Just be a little more patient with those who haven't learned all the tricks of answering questions by themselves and/or asking questions of others. That's all I'm saying.
Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly. This forum at last check has literally dozens of posts from just the past month, wherein a newbie asks a question w/o providing adequate information, and is then chastised for doing so. I'm sorry, but at a certain point you have to expect a little personal accountability. When you're a newcomer to any situation, it is unreasonable of you to opt to post first, and then read other posters second. What new people SHOULD do is read the boards a bit, and understand the ground rules better before posting.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Especially folks with only 1 TiVo.

I didn't choose 4.x software for folders, I chose it because I found its use on my particular model to be common among people here, and (for the most part) issue free. In fact, I have the same exact model that the 4.x on RID Guide is based on.

hayreass
04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I didn't choose 4.x software for folders, I chose it because I found its use on my particular model to be common among people here, and (for the most part) issue free. In fact, I have the same exact model that the 4.x on RID Guide is based on.
And in the very 1st page of that support thread it is mentioned by The Only Druid himself that folders are a part of 4.0.1b.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly. This forum at last check has literally dozens of posts from just the past month, wherein a newbie asks a question w/o providing adequate information, and is then chastised for doing so. I'm sorry, but at a certain point you have to expect a little personal accountability. When you're a newcomer to any situation, it is unreasonable of you to opt to post first, and then read other posters second. What new people SHOULD do is read the boards a bit, and understand the ground rules better before posting.

I didn't post first, as I said above, I manually searched threads in 2 forums, and then I used the search feature to see if anyone else had the folders just appear, THEN I asked.

I know how forums works, must I list EVERYTHING I've done before every question I asked just to appease some judgmental azzhole? I research all the time, I find help here on my own, and I post as a last resort.

Sure, I may miss seemly obvious things at times, but don't act like this place is some highly maintained database where EVERY answer you'll find is in the proper spot, correct, and up to date. :rolleyes:

Take a look at my posts, I have asked very specific questions after (at times) hours of trying to shift through pages of threads, with hundreds of posts, at times chocked full of flames from people like yourself who would much rather show some bull$hit indignance about how some question or how it is asked, is somehow beneath them.

I understand that a lot of people ask dumb questions, I do not think I am one of them. I DO diligently try to find my answer without asking, for no reason other than to avoid flaming from people who think that they're God's gift to TiVo hacking

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 12:28 PM
And in the very 1st page of that support thread it is mentioned by The Only Druid himself that folders are a part of 4.0.1b.

Yes....and I am not saying that I did not read that, because I did...obiviously, it did not sink it, I gave my rationale above for the reason that I thought I did not have folders. (The new DTV upgrade)

This thread is why I assumed that I didn't already have folders, and that folders is al I'd be missing out on by NOT going to 6.2

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41347&highlight=DTV+upgrade

The Only Druid
04-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes....and I am not saying that I did not read that, because I did...obiviously, it did not sink it, I gave my rationale above for the reason that I thought I did not have folders. (The new DTV upgrade)

This thread is why I assumed that I didn't already have folders, and that folders is al I'd be missing out on by NOT going to 6.2

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41347&highlight=DTV+upgrade
You know what hurts about that? This. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325&highlight=collected+info) After it was requested in that thread that someone collect all that information in order to make it easier to absorb, I worked through all the available information on 6.2 and collected it to make it easier for more casual readers of the board to find the answer to their questions. I then linked to it in the original thread, and several of us talked about it further there.

What's the FIRST thing I say in the page I just linked to (my collected info page)?

This:

1) What is 6.2? What systems can it be installed on? What kernel version is running in 6.2?

6.2 is DirecTivo software version that is the next step for DTivos from 3.1.1e. It includes the folders that were introduced in 4.x, as well apparently including HMO features within the software although not activating them for users. This means that while the HMO code is in there, or at least appears to be, it is NOT activated at this point. The guide speed is faster than 4.x/3.x.

Frankly, I find it highly disheartening that you didn't read the second sentence in the first paragraph, which clearly states that folders were introduced in 4.x. I say you didn't read it, because there's no way you actually read those words but somehow didn't understand them. They're as clear as english gets.

Want to know why I was short in the first post? Because those of us who work at helping other people understand would appreciate it if people did their fair of work before asking questions. That includes, among other things, reading threads like mine that collect a vast number of questions together and answer them clearly.

PortlandPaw
04-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly.So what this really comes down to is a debate concerning whether or not we should be civil to each other and treat each other with respect.

This board already has a reputation as the "unfriendly forum" and I guess you would prefer to keep that characterization accurate. Your justification that "he had it coming to him" didn't cut it on the playground and shouldn't cut it here, either.

I, too, get frustrated by less-than-intelligent questions and I've been known to give "RTFM" replies, but I try to do so nicely.

Please remember that the person asking the ***** question today may be the one answering the impossible question a year from now...unless you drive him away in the meantime.

EDIT: Interesting censorship...that "*****" replaced a word in common daily usage, not obscene at all, which refers to a person of sub-standard intelligence. Didn't want anyone to think I wasn't practicing what I'm preaching.

alldeadhomiez
04-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I know how forums works, must I list EVERYTHING I've done before every question I asked just to appease some judgmental azzhole? I research all the time, I find help here on my own, and I post as a last resort.

You gotta be kidding me...

You didn't even mention what version you were last running, or what version you got "upgraded" to. Much less check the logs or take any of the other necessary steps listed in the mini-FAQ sticky.

If you got a rude response, it should have come as no surprise. Consider yourself lucky you got a response at all, after ignoring the posting guidelines and writing an extremely vague description of the problem.

Moved to Sewer.

Roger Dylan
04-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Your question may have been answered so forgive the possible redundancy, but I won't read the rest of this thread because at first glance it seems full of sewer stuff.

It sounds like you've installed OS 4.0.x on your DTivo? That OS includes the folders feature, which is turned off by default, so you never noticed it. It's likely that folders feature simply got turned on. That could have been done by someone explicitly toggling it in the Now Playing Options menu, or simply hitting the "2" key while the Now Playing list was being displayed.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
You know what hurts about that? This. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325&highlight=collected+info) After it was requested in that thread that someone collect all that information in order to make it easier to absorb, I worked through all the available information on 6.2 and collected it to make it easier for more casual readers of the board to find the answer to their questions. I then linked to it in the original thread, and several of us talked about it further there.

What's the FIRST thing I say in the page I just linked to (my collected info page)?

This:

Frankly, I find it highly disheartening that you didn't read the second sentence in the first paragraph, which clearly states that folders were introduced in 4.x. I say you didn't read it, because there's no way you actually read those words but somehow didn't understand them. They're as clear as english gets.

Of course, but I read the original thread, before you compiled your info and linked to it.

Want to know why I was short in the first post? Because those of us who work at helping other people understand would appreciate it if people did their fair of work before asking questions. That includes, among other things, reading threads like mine that collect a vast number of questions together and answer them clearly.

But I had no interest at all in 6.2, and I dropped the whole notion when I found out that folders was the only plus, and if you read the ORIGINAL thread, I do not believe that the fact tha 4.x already had folders was mentioned THERE, it may have been later, but again, I read that thread early on, and dismissed the whole subject because I could care less about folders.

mackaframa
04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
You gotta be kidding me...

You didn't even mention what version you were last running, or what version you got "upgraded" to. Much less check the logs or take any of the other necessary steps listed in the mini-FAQ sticky.

If you got a rude response, it should have come as no surprise. Consider yourself lucky you got a response at all, after ignoring the posting guidelines and writing an extremely vague description of the problem.

Moved to Sewer.

I did not make the comment to excuse myself from not posting a software version, I understand that I made a mistake there. I made that comment to show that just because my question seemed simple, does not mean that I didn't spend a significant amount of time trying to find the answer BEFORE i decided to post.

I always look first. Often, I prefer looking because it provides the most immediate answer. If you review my posts, you'll see that I have answer a few questions that I posted (after searching), and never received answer for.

kryten98371
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
This is my 2nd and last posting to this forum. Here are my reasons.

I've been reading this forum for the last 6 or so months. I too would like to install 4.X on my dtivo, but from all of the hostile responses to newbies, if I ever ran into a problem, I know that I would be chastised by someone on this board for not reading EVERY post to make sure that I didn't repeat a previous question.

I think that this board is a wonderful site for hacking the Tivo, but the responses from "The Only Druid", "Gunnyman", and especially "alldeadhomiez" will chase away potential users that can contribute. Not everyone can be a Linux expert the first day. Everyone starts out as a newbie.

Flame me all you want, because I'm sure you will. I just wanted to get my 2 cents in.

hayreass
04-01-2005, 06:55 PM
This is my 1st and last posting to this forum. Here are my reasons.
I really like that your First and Last posting to this forum is actually your second post, that's just outstanding.

We'll miss you :(

alldeadhomiez
04-01-2005, 07:17 PM

I've been reading this forum for the last 6 or so months. I too would like to install 4.X on my dtivo, but from all of the hostile responses to newbies, if I ever ran into a problem, I know that I would be chastised by someone on this board for not reading EVERY post to make sure that I didn't repeat a previous question.

You mean, you're leaving the forum rather than sticking around and posting redundant questions that have already been answered?

I don't know what else to say. Thanks! ;)

Roger Dylan
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Everyone starts out as a newbie.

I'd encourage you to take a crack at the 4.x upgrade.

This forum is not as bad as you seem to think (yeah it _can_ be, but only at times). There are some awfully stupid questions asked that are taken seriously and dealt with courteously. There is a methodology to getting good answers. Like a little bow when approaching the throne of kings.

Prove you've done a little homework when you ask a question, that's the key. Describe your problem with some specifics about your hardware & software, even if you think they're irrelevant. Then say what you've tried, what you've read in an attempt to solve the problem yourself. But keep it simple; the _more_ you say the more likely you are to say something wrong and that'll be picked up on. NEVER say you tried to search but couldn't find anything; DON'T comment on the search features of the forum; generally, don't wave red flags.

Everybody likes to be respected and in work and other aspects of life maybe not everybody always gets that. Here, where the elders are volunteering their time with no reward, fundamentally, except at _some_ level the desire to help others, some deference on our part is really a very small price to pay (and I, personally, have not been adequately sensitive to that).

A thick skin helps too, kryten98371. So take a crack at the upgrade; if you run into some trouble give it some thought and effort before asking your first question, but then ask away. What have you got to lose? So you get yelled at, what's the damage?

ronrico51
04-01-2005, 10:37 PM

I've been reading this forum for the last 6 or so months. I too would like to install 4.X on my dtivo.

Don't give up, pay your dues, read a lot. 4.0 on a dtivo is a very nice thing. I seriously don't understand why Directv doesn't implement all the goodies of 4.0, makes a very nice setup, especially mrv with 2 dtivos. Seems like it would make their customers happier.
When I was a total noob, I felt the same as many others, that this board was just too harsh. Now, as I have learned a little more, I understand the frustration that many of the regulars here feel. The same questions get asked over and over, even though they have been answered many times. Why should someone type it all in again, or look up the link for you? If you work at it, experiment on a spare drive, you will begin to learn, and things will start making sense. If you ask a question, just be sure to include some info that makes it apparent you did some homework, and you will be treated with respect.

Rick

hayreass
04-01-2005, 10:54 PM
If you ask a question, just be sure to include some info that makes it apparent you did some homework, and you will be treated with respect.I think that's the key to it all.

mackaframa
04-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't give up, pay your dues, read a lot. 4.0 on a dtivo is a very nice thing. I seriously don't understand why Directv doesn't implement all the goodies of 4.0, makes a very nice setup, especially mrv with 2 dtivos. Seems like it would make their customers happier.
When I was a total noob, I felt the same as many others, that this board was just too harsh. Now, as I have learned a little more, I understand the frustration that many of the regulars here feel. The same questions get asked over and over, even though they have been answered many times. Why should someone type it all in again, or look up the link for you? If you work at it, experiment on a spare drive, you will begin to learn, and things will start making sense. If you ask a question, just be sure to include some info that makes it apparent you did some homework, and you will be treated with respect.

Rick

I understand the rules. The concept of searching before you ask is important on almost every informational forum I belong to. I think that the issue here is that some people have got a superiority complex.

The way I see it, there is a constant flow of people here. I understand that having to answer the same questions over and over is tiring. And to tell the truth, SOME people need to be flamed, of course. But to me, it seems like there are members that troll the board looking for any flaw in any question to flame on.

The problem I have seen here is that though information IS availible here, it is not normally organized in a fashion that promotes finding it easily. I have successfully applied every hack I wanted by asking (IMO) a minimal amount of questions. And when I read some of the info presented here, there often are thing left out or assumed that if just simply stated would remove a lot of confusion.

For example, the guide (Huge's) was very helpful to me. I find it completely stupid that there would be users known as "guide-haters" that wouldn't want that info out there. I finished the guide twice, and added my comments about it to the guide thread.

I used the guide, and had to research just about every step, even AFTER I finished (because I did it on a dummy drive first) to see what it can do. The guide itself was NOT enough to allow someone with no knowledge to obtain the same system that everyone here had work hard to learn.

You know, like I said above, some stupid and lazy people DO need to be flamed, but since there is a flow of people coming in, if you are tired of a question, then just shut the fcuk up and let someone who hasn't become tired of it answer.

I'd rather see the database filled with repeat answers (because it provides validation when searching) than have it filled with flames from a bunch of anal MF's that need to artificially inflate their own importance.

PortlandPaw
04-02-2005, 10:14 AM
This has actually evolved into a civilized discourse on how best to function in the DDB world...it doesn't belong in the sewer. In fact, ronrico51, Roger Dylan, mackaframa and others give excellent suggestions that should be included in a sticky, "How Best to Use This Forum." I know this has been done in a variety of ways, so put your flamethrowers down for now.

But in the same way that newbies are directed to the FAQ threads, I think it would be good to direct the uninitiated to some basic directions.

People, naive as they may be, should be welcomed to this hobby, not driven away, chastised and ashamed of their ignorance. How else will the world of TiVo grow and prosper?

The best defense against obsolesence is a large and happy user base -- let's build it!