PDA

View Full Version : Weethet "TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo" guide - support thread

alldeadhomiez
04-01-2005, 11:29 PM
This is the latest fork of the HUGE guide: http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php

All questions pertaining to this guide belong in this thread. If they are found elsewhere, they will be nuked. (IOW - same policy as for the other guides.)

Before posting questions, read and understand:

Newbie mini-FAQ (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37756)
All threads referenced from the guide, especially the uma6fix release thread
All stickies in the Newbie forum
All posts in this thread
HUGE GUIDE support thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39680)

If you don't understand what you're doing and aren't willing to learn it on your own, don't waste (y)our time.

hayreass
04-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Oooh, the new walthrough sure is pretty. :(

That ought to attract a lot more posting here.
Let's see if we can head some of them off at the pass, by answering some of the inevitable issue's right in the beginning, before the questions come.
Nobody will be able to say "I didn't know any better" or "I searched, and searched, but couldn't find the answer."

Anyone else wonder why these guys have you go to all the trouble of burning bootpage to a CD, even though the bootdisk includes it, but then don't use either of them to discover the root partition early on?
Both guides expect you to find it by trial and error.

Tell you what, you folks here actually looking for support, try this command to find your boot information and eliminate the guesswork.

bootpage -p /dev/hdcthis will return either root=/dev/hda4 or root=/dev/hda7. Write down what it returns. The guides have you do this step later on, (using the copy you burned, instead of the copy on the bootdisk) but if you do it now, you will be doing it in a more correct, efficient manner. It's silly to wait, and do it later, when you can do it now.
Do it later too.
If it returns root=/dev/hda7, use
mount /dev/hdc7 /tivowhen mounting the TiVo Drive.
If it returns root=/dev/hda4, use
mount /dev/hdc4 /tivowhen mounting the TiVo Drive.

I only read up to the point where the author has you actually fire up the machine.
I would add that for safety's sake, EVERYONE following this guide should do a clear and delete everything.
To avoid you senior guys telling me not everyone needs to do a C&DE, notice I said "Everyone following this guide".
What will it hurt to Ensure there are no issues later by doing a C&DE now?
Only good can come of it.
The half hour you lose now can save hours later.
Not to mention the loss of your recordings if you end up having to do it in the future because you skipped it now.

Post any other issues you see in the guide early on here, so the Newbies will all see them.

4-2 Edited out a lot of stuff since the guide will work the way it is.
It may not be the ideal way for everyone, but it will work.

AhoyMatey
04-02-2005, 08:15 AM
There's one thing you're forgetting - LBA48 for drives greater than 137G. Even on a non-RID box you'll want to do a monte. So you pretty much want to boot off of a 3.1.1c version kernel and use the init_framework scripts. If you use the init_framework, the serial bash daemon is started automatically.

BTW, "reboot" vs "halt" actually reboots the PC.

Harry Balzich
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Hello,

When trying to change the bootpage I have entered the following:

PTVupgrade /cdrom# ./bootpage/bootpage /dev/hdc
root=/dev/hda7

PTVupgrade /cdrom# ./bootpage/bootpage -p "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

Here is the response it get:

Errror opening device root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false!

Any ideas - Damn it was going so well and a nicely written how to!!!

Thanks for all your help,

Harry

dewalt
04-04-2005, 04:40 PM
PTVupgrade /cdrom# ./bootpage/bootpage -p "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

Here is the response it get:

Errror opening device root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false!

It's bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

-p will read
-P will write

Roger Dylan
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
What does "-p" do?

When followed by what you foillowed it with, what action would be attempted?

Would that action be successful?

What actions are intended by the line that's failing? Specifically the first portion of the line?

What parameter for bootpage would cause that intended result?

Did you enter that parameter correctly?

captain_video
04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Did you read any of the preceding posts?

Did any of it sink in?

dewalt
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Thats a mouthful...you really need to read the man pages on bootpage

-p will cat back the boot parameters on the specified harddrive.
-P will write "this information" (between quotes) to the parameters.

hayreass
04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
I think perhaps you guys mistook Rogers post.

I get the feeling he's trying to get the OP to learn.

These are all questions whose answers should be sought when encountered with such a problem.

When seeking them out, the answer to the original question will become self evident.

I could be wrong though....

Roger Dylan
04-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I think perhaps you guys mistook Roger

I could be wrong though....

Yeah, you're wrong. Roger's clearly an *******.

I do plead guilty as accused, to the extent that the two answers previous to my reply did not in fact "sink in." They were apparently in the queue as I was typing my own response. I would not have gone socratic had I seen that the question was already anwered.

I wouldn't say mine are the questions a user should ask himself, _every_ time, but they are certainly the _kinds_ of questions.

In this case, I should have made him (or those who read in the future) focus in more on the content of the error message as being a logical result of what he had actually done (as opposed to _intended_ to do), to ask himself: device "root ... false", WTF???, there _is_ no device called "root ...false". Why is the error message saying that? What could _I_ have said that would be saying there WAS such a device".

Light bulb lights up.

Error messages are not always that conclusively helpful but in this case the answer to the problem was specifically clued therein.

There are two opposing and destructive tendencies here in this forum. First is to jump down the user's throat, second is to answer with admirable brevity but of no tutorial benefit. Obviously we can't be too wordy all the time, but on this specific occasion the long, inward-looking "answer" seemed appropriate.

Clearly if a particular user displays knowledge and makes a typo, cut right to the answer (though even then we might consider that it's not JUST the one user we're answering, but all those who come after). But here the user, in not thinking-through the error message, showed that his need was not that simple. He would be likely, after making similar typos in the future, to need more answers from _others_ rather than being able to analyze to his own solutions.

Sorry for the long philosophical digression. Let's just leave it that Roger is an *******.

cheer
04-05-2005, 08:26 AM
VERY helpful guide. After a few months of reading, I just hacked my first DTivo (an SD-DVR40) successfully, and this guide helped (now I'm repeating myself) a lot.

Comments:

I would, as hayreass suggested, have the bootpage used earlier to eliminate guesswork.
Early in the guide you mention needing a FAT32 HD, but then later you say it's not necessary as we won't be doing a backup. You may want to clean that up to avoid confusion.
You describe needing the Tivo HD as secondary master and the CD as secondary slave. Is that just so you know that the HD is /dev/hdc and the CD is /dev/hdd? I mean, in theory you could hook it up any way you like, right? (dumb noob question, I know)

Comments for prospective noob hackers:

You haven't read enough. Maybe you think you have, but you haven't. Read the stickies, threads, etc., until you go crosseyed.
The guides say you don't need linux experience, and that's technically true. However, some type of *nix experience is required IMHO, so that when something unexpected happens you're not totally lost. At least learn about mounting and unmounting drives, partition tables, navigating directories, and so on.
Make sure your DTivo receiver is in good working order. Definitely activate first. This way, when something goes wrong, you've pretty much eliminated hardware and can troubleshoot from there.
Make sure your PC is in good working order. Make sure you BIOS recognizes all drives, that you can boot off CDs, etc. In addition to the recommended CDs, I found having a DOS-bootable CD (check out FreeDOS) helpful for basic PC hardware troubleshooting, but that's because my background is originally DOS. YMMV.
Did I mention reading some more? Good. You'll thank yourself later. Make sure you understand what each step of the guide does, because otherwise when it goes wrong you'll be stuck.
THERE IS NO COMMENT NUMBER SIX
Get a serial cable from 9thtee. If you do, you won't need it. If you don't, you will. It's axiomatic.
While you're at it, make sure your PC has a serial port. Only AFTER my console cable arrived did I realize that all of the nice, new Toshiba laptops I own have NO serial port. (Yet they have a parallel port...now which seems more useful to you? Sigh.) I got a USB to serial cable from newegg for $16, and it works like a champ.
Don't start with your "production" Tivo. Unless you live alone and don't care. Wiping out my wife's CSI recordings was a scenario too terrible to contemplate. I love my hacked Tivo, but my wife's, er, favors are far more important.

Everything went pretty smoothly for me. Like a dork I prepped a FAT32 hard drive anyway, and boy howdy that took more time than anything else. (All my boxes around here are XP Pro...ended up downloading a bootable ISO of FreeDOS to prep the drive.) Now running 4.0.1b on my DVR40.

Added TivoWebPlus and TyTools to the picture yesterday. At first TyTools told me there were no programs to download, so I downloaded Jamie's tserver w/Nowshowing.tcl built in, and that fixed that. Then I got the Data connection failed message, but switching to single socket mode, then downloading, then switching back to dual socket mode fixed that.

Next I've got three SD-DVR80s to hack...gonna do those a little more manually, so that (A) I really truly understand what's happening, and (B) I can attempt to leave recordings in place.

Incredible thanks to Weethet, Dave, Huge, and of course the heavy lifters of alldeadhomiez, AlphaWolf, PlainBill, rc3105, and the others I've inadvertently forgotten for the incredible resource that is dealdatabase.com. You've all made this quite easy.

--chris

captain_video
04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Sorry about that, Roger. Now that I understand where you're coming from my sarcastic post was clearly out of line. :rolleyes:

captainjrl
04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Small typo in Step 10.

First line states:

We will no continue to add some more hacks.

I think it should read:

We will now continue to add some more hacks

Just trying to keep this thing looking nice.

hayreass
04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Small typo in Step 10.I don't think things like that matter too much.

I'm pretty sure the guys maintaining these Two walkthroughs do not follow the threads in the forum.

If they did, the bootpage issue would be fixed, and end the confusion for newbies.

It's just silly having Two working copies of bootpage, and using Neither of them effectively.

Harry Balzich
04-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Is there anyone who knows the correct way for upgrading two drives with this guide. Any additional set up or ideas.

Just wondering - I guess I'll keep reading.

Thanks Again,

Harry

hayreass
04-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Is there anyone who knows the correct way for upgrading two drives with this guide.Yes, change the mfsrestore line to reflect your setup with both drives connected to your PC.
If you setup your tivo "B" drive as Primary Slave, the line would switch to
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/image/tivo.mfs /dev/hdc /dev/hdbYou are telling it to restore and expand the tivo.mfs image to drives hdc, and hdb.

This is all covered in the Hinsdale Guide. (http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html)

Roger Dylan
04-06-2005, 01:02 AM
correct way for upgrading two drives with this guide

I'm not too familiar with guides, but in general you'd do your restore according to mfstools instructions, adding your second drive as a parameter. Create a large swap space. From that point you'd deal with your first drive as if it were the only drive, in terms of adding hacks, etc. IOW follow the guide from that point as if the second drive didn't exist.

Alternatively, and maybe a better approach, follow the guide with only one drive, as written, then use mfs tools as per its instructions to add the second drive after you're finished.

hayreass
04-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Alternatively, and maybe a better approach, follow the guide with only one drive, as written, then use mfs tools as per its instructions to add the second drive after you're finished.
Problem with that is, the guide has them expand the image right off the bat.
It's a lot of work to expand again last time I checked.
I heard there was a new version of mfs tools coming, but I don't know the status.

Harry Balzich
04-09-2005, 02:42 AM
OK, I have set everything up without any hitches but when I go to use the bash-2.02# it get the following issue with the superpatch-4all using a serial cable set up

bash-2.02# cd /hacks/
bash-2.02# chmod 755 superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.1.tcl
bash-2.02# ./superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.1.tcl
Tmk Assertion Failure:
FsAllocateFunction, line 131 ()
Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <230> died due to signal -2
f9c51c 100df1c 100e18c 100e1dc dabe9c dab55c 400c50 108a0b0 Restarting system.
Loading R5432 MMU routines.

The tivo then reboots and I'm up and running again, just don't understand what is the issue. Other than that the set up went great, even tried it with two drives and it was a piece of cake. I've learned more in the last few days with this guide then in the past year.

Thanks Again for everyone's help,

Harry

AhoyMatey
04-09-2005, 07:48 AM
You obviously didn't even try search for "Tmk Assertion Failure" and get to see the hundreds of posts on this. Good job.

You need to type these environment variables in manually at the console or put them in a script somewhere before serial bash is started:
export TIVO_ROOT=
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10They're needed to run tcl scripts.

Harry Balzich
04-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Here is my rc.sysinit.author file:

Isn't this correct???

UW PICO(tm) 3.8 File: rc.sysinit.author Modified

#!/bin/bash

export TIVO_ROOT=
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox

tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

tivoftpd

fakecall.tcl

route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Thanks,

Harry

PS: Reading up on the search you recommended.

Harry Balzich
04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Well I got it to work with telnet but not with my serial cable. Guess I need to connect the other HDVR2 to my router and telnet the commands.

Thank, now onto the other hacks. Love this new hobby!!!

Harry

UnixMonkey
04-11-2005, 10:00 PM
This guide was an excellent help. Thank you for a wonderfully well-written and useful set of documentation.

The only problem I ran into is that when I printed the docuement to follow it, the balck background of the command windows vanished, and I was left trying to read yellow text on white paper, and had to redo several of the commands a few times before I got it right. It might make sense to change the color from yellow to something else (green?) so it's readable both on-screen and on-paper.

bLemert
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I am following the WeetHet guide... I have to say I haven't gotten very far. I have made my two CD's as directed. I am able to boot just fine with the LBA48-401DD disk. When I get to the first : PTVupgrade /# prompt and I enter: mount /dev/hdb /cdrom. I am returned with the normal response along with "mount: you must specify the filesystem type" What in the world does that mean. I have the CDROM as the Primary Slave, and a Brand New - Straight outta the box 160GB Hard Drive as the master. It hasn't been formatted. Can anyone help? According to the guide everything seemed straight forward. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

bL

Roger Dylan
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
"mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

This is a common problem from a lack of understanding Linux. It has nothing to do with any specific guide, as such; so this is not the best place to look for help..

Ask on the newbie forum and I'm sure you'll get some help.

Though I'd search first, or just read a Linux primer.

bLemert
04-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I guess I can understand your reply... I do have a complete understanding of DOS, and I guess I don't find that much difference between the two. When a guide like this is posted, and everything is broken down to tell you what you are suppose to type and a problem comes up, I would assume someone out there would help one fix the problem IF they know the answer. Like telling me my drive should be formatted before I start the restore. I did post the question in the "Newbie Tivo" forum, can someone lend a hand, or is the answer to difficult to explain.?

bL

This is a common problem from a lack of understanding Linux. It has nothing to do with any specific guide, as such; so this is not the best place to look for help..

Ask on the newbie forum and I'm sure you'll get some help.

Though I'd search first, or just read a Linux primer.

PlainBill
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I guess I can understand your reply... I do have a complete understanding of DOS, and I guess I don't find that much difference between the two. When a guide like this is posted, and everything is broken down to tell you what you are suppose to type and a problem comes up, I would assume someone out there would help one fix the problem IF they know the answer. Like telling me my drive should be formatted before I start the restore. I did post the question in the "Newbie Tivo" forum, can someone lend a hand, or is the answer to difficult to explain.?

bL

There are several problems here. First of all, the forums are oriented toward self-help, not hand-holding. (If you want someone to hold your hand, get a girlfriend :D ). Second, we really expect somene to use the search function (hint - search for mount cdrom; I would expect the answer to come up quite quickly).

The deeper problem is with the guide. This is such a common result, that it should have been discussed in the guide. And it is one of the reasons guides have such a bad reputation here. (Think - if the guide has such a basic omission, what else is missing?)

In this case, the error message means Linux did not recognise the file system type on the cdrom. This is iso9660, and the correct syntax is
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

PlainBill

Spydraver
04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
First of all I want to say great guide I found it very easy to follow and learned quite a bit along the way. It has been fun learning to use linux.
Anyway I have my SD-DVR40 fully hacked and up and running. I can telnet and ftp the box no problem. I'm a little confused on what I can or should be using to bring shows to the pc. I've read up on Tytools, TyStudio, Tivoweb plus, mfs_ftp, and tivotogo. The information on most of these dates back a couple years so I dont know what is the latest or greatest method of extracting my shows. Could someone please help me out here with what method I shoud be focussing on, and what software is already installed with the hacks following the guide. I followed the guide to the letter except for installing the USB2.0 (gonna do that after work today).
One thing I installed the Tivo Desktop software and i can play music and views photo's but when I try and get video that way it says I have no Tivo's on the network. Is this an issue relating to having no medis acces key?

cheer
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
First of all I want to say great guide I found it very easy to follow and learned quite a bit along the way. It has been fun learning to use linux.
Anyway I have my SD-DVR40 fully hacked and up and running. I can telnet and ftp the box no problem. I'm a little confused on what I can or should be using to bring shows to the pc. I've read up on Tytools, TyStudio, Tivoweb plus, mfs_ftp, and tivotogo. The information on most of these dates back a couple years so I dont know what is the latest or greatest method of extracting my shows.
I can't help you with tivotogo or tivodesktop as I've never used (or been interested) in either one.

TivoWebPlus can allow you to stream/download videos, but it's not my preferred method. YMMV.

As for TyTool versus TyStudio or some other method...well, let's just say there are very ardent defenders of each. No method is right or wrong'; it typically just dpends on what you want to do and what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I almost never watch videos on my PC; instead, my primary viewing platform is a hacked Xbox running XBMC loading files from a PC server. The process I use is:

Grab the files from the DTivo using mfs_ftp on the DTivo and SmartFTP on the PC
Use typrocess (part of TyStudio) to process the .ty files into .mpg files
Edit the commercials out (if need be) using VideoReDo

I like mfs_ftp because it allows downloads in either .ty, .ty+, or .tmf formats. I also like it because there's a nifty batch utility for pulling shows off (I forget the name as I haven't started playing with it). Finally, I had trouble using TyTool's editor for cropping commercials, which could either be a UI issue or a Chris-is-too-impatient issue.

Anyway, I suggest a lot more reading of the extraction forums because there's loads of good information there.

--chris

Spydraver
04-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the advice. I am currently doing more reading on the extraction forum. There was just so much there I was starting to get confused about what does what. Just so I have this straight I can just grab the raw tivo files off my Dtivo using any ftp program then process them on my pc. I have and can have ftp'd my box just didnt think it was that easy as far as transfering the .ty files over to pc.

Roger Dylan
04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Just so I have this straight I can just grab the raw tivo files off my Dtivo using any ftp program then process them on my pc. I have and can have ftp'd my box just didnt think it was that easy as far as transfering the .ty files over to pc.

Once you have mfs_ftp running on your Tivo, _most_ ftp programs on your pc will allow you to grab the video files. Some don't work well.

Waaasapenning?
04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Once you have mfs_ftp running on your Tivo, _most_ ftp programs on your pc will allow you to grab the video files. Some don't work well.I have my unit up and running now. Everything is working fine. I just have a couple of questions. Is mfs_ftp installed automatically when I install the superpatch4all or the tivotools.tar package? Or do I have to do that manually? Also, how do I use the MRV feature if I don't have the media access key that tivo desktop asks for? I've searched the forums and can't find/figure out the answer. If someone had any pointers, or at least could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Spydraver
04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Along that same line of question will tivoftpd do the same thing as msf_ftp or are they completely different from each other. I am pretty sure that with this guide using the software it calls out for tivoftpd is installed..Not so sure about mfs_ftp. Thanks again for the help.

The Only Druid
04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Along that same line of question will tivoftpd do the same thing as msf_ftp or are they completely different from each other. I am pretty sure that with this guide using the software it calls out for tivoftpd is installed..Not so sure about mfs_ftp. Thanks again for the help.

Tivoftpd is the daemon required for normal ftp access to the normal filesystem of the tivo. mfs_ftp is the daemon required to handle the unique mfs filesystem, i.e. to extract/insert tmf/ty files.

hayreass
04-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Also, how do I use the MRV feature if I don't have the media access key that tivo desktop asks for?Install HMO on 2 TiVo's on the same network, name each one, then on the Now Showing list navigate to the Tivo you want to transfer a show from, and select it.
It will walk you through the process.

mfs_ftp and tivoftpd are completely independent of each other.

mfs_ftp must be installed on it's own.

cheer
04-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the advice. I am currently doing more reading on the extraction forum. There was just so much there I was starting to get confused about what does what. Just so I have this straight I can just grab the raw tivo files off my Dtivo using any ftp program then process them on my pc. I have and can have ftp'd my box just didnt think it was that easy as far as transfering the .ty files over to pc.
Just to clarify: for that, you must have mfs_ftp running, and you must ftp to the mfs_ftp port (default is 3105) and NOT the regular ftp port of 21.

--chris

HUGE
04-13-2005, 06:05 PM
This is the latest fork of the HUGE guide: http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php

And not even a mention in the credits :( I will have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

HUGE

NutKase
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
And not even a mention in the credits :( I will have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

HUGE

You're credited.

Just click the 'David Dellanave' link (what a glory hijacker.)

It points to, what is MOSTLY your guide, which is MOSTLY a repeat of the release post in the 'commands to type' format... with a couple of minor changes.

Did I say that 'guides' suck!? :)

heh...

TiVo hacking knowledge isn't transferred in a list of commands. ...but the pictures ARE pretty.

NutKase

HUGE
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
You're credited.

Just click the 'David Dellanave' link (what a glory hijacker.)

It points to, what is MOSTLY your guide, which is MOSTLY a repeat of the release post in the 'commands to type' format... with a couple of minor changes.

Did I say that 'guides' suck!? :)

heh...

TiVo hacking knowledge isn't transferred in a list of commands. ...but the pictures ARE pretty.

NutKase

I still reserve the right to cry tonight.

HUGE

JJBliss
04-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I still reserve the right to cry tonight.

As does rc3105, who's command list you originally copied in order to gain notariety a few months before you abandoned it. Then Dave Dellanave took your copy of rc3015's post and made himself a copy which weethet then took for this latest "version".

Congratulations. You're all innovators. :rolleyes:

bLemert
04-14-2005, 12:12 AM
PlainBill - much thanks. The -t would have probably worked, I however, ended up switching the CDrom to "hda" or the primary master, and this took care of the problem. On the inital bootup, Linux seemed to like the CDRom as the "a" device and automatically recognized it as a ISO9660 filesystem. You're right, the guide still seems to be somewhat incomplete in certain areas... and as far as it telling you to install a harddisk with atleast 4gb of free space, I still don't quite understand what the purpose of that was. The one thing I did notice was the fact that the command prompt's (in the guide's examples) don't necessariliy reflect the current directory that you were left in. All-in-all, not a bad guide ;)

bL

There are several problems here. First of all, the forums are oriented toward self-help, not hand-holding. (If you want someone to hold your hand, get a girlfriend :D ). Second, we really expect somene to use the search function (hint - search for mount cdrom; I would expect the answer to come up quite quickly).

The deeper problem is with the guide. This is such a common result, that it should have been discussed in the guide. And it is one of the reasons guides have such a bad reputation here. (Think - if the guide has such a basic omission, what else is missing?)

In this case, the error message means Linux did not recognise the file system type on the cdrom. This is iso9660, and the correct syntax is
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

PlainBill

Waaasapenning?
04-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Install HMO on 2 TiVo's on the same network, name each one, then on the Now Showing list navigate to the Tivo you want to transfer a show from, and select it.
It will walk you through the process.

mfs_ftp and tivoftpd are completely independent of each other.

mfs_ftp must be installed on it's own.
Thanks, hayreass. I appreciate the help. I have one, and hopefully last, question. Once mfs_ftp is installed, I should then be able to extract video, correct? Also, will the video be unscrambled, or do I need to install kmem or something similar to unscramble it? I guess that was two questions, but oh well.

Roger Dylan
04-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Once mfs_ftp is installed, I should then be able to extract video, correct? Also, will the video be unscrambled

What does the documentation on mfs_ftp have to say about whether you will be able to extract video?

Regarding scrambling: you've previously said you installed some patches and utilities. Why not read the documentation for them, and see what features you've installed?

HUGE
04-14-2005, 01:51 AM
As does rc3105, who's command list you originally copied in order to gain notariety a few months before you abandoned it. Then Dave Dellanave took your copy of rc3015's post and made himself a copy which weethet then took for this latest "version".

Congratulations. You're all innovators. :rolleyes:

They are both credited in the latest "version", but no mention of me - dammit the tears are starting...

HUGE

PS - I'm just whining :p

JJBliss
04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
They are both credited in the latest "version", but no mention of me - dammit the tears are starting...

Maybe 'cause you didn't actually do anything worth crediting?

I'm not sure, I'm just saying, maybe.

PS - I'm just whining :p
Oh. In that case, I'm just venting. :cool:

digdug
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't know why these guides get such bad press. I found the guides to be quite useful based on my moderate Unix/Linux skills. By using a combination of the WEET, Hindsdale, and forum's posts, I was able to upgrade my RCA DVR40 couple weeks ago in hours. Quite educational trying out the various techniques.

So, kudo's to the guide authors. The posts on these boards are helpful but are "disorganized" at time. When searching through the posts, I find myself getting side-tracked with all of the various side-links and it's hard to know what is current and not.

Anyway, thanks to all who made hacking my DirecTV Tivo possible.

-Doug

cheer
04-15-2005, 09:24 PM
The reason they do is because they essentially encourage people to start hacking without understanding the fundamentals.

Then, if something goes wrong, those folks come here and post questions that have been answered time and again. The regulars moan because now they are being asked to support the guide.

(There's lots of other reasons: sometimes they gloss over important details, or give inefficient steps, or get out of date, or...)

Having said that, I did in fact use a guide for my first hack. Not as intended; I didn't just follow it step by step. Instead I used it as a "roadmap," if you will, for things to search for and read up on. I don't like messing with things unless I understand what's going on under the hood. So once I read the guide, I started reading up on each of the things mentioned (init_framework, bootpage, and so on) which led me to other things (killhdinitrd, monte, and all that). If I didn't understand a term or concept, I kept reading until I thought I did.

Having said that, I still have gobs to learn. But had my mfsrestore barfed in the middle, or had bootpage returned something different from what the guide says, or anything like that, I would have been able to troubleshoot without feeling lost.

Every time I think I've read everything necessary, I find a dozen threads that make me feel stupid all over again.

[insert gratuitous cliche regarding giving fish vs. teaching to fish]

--chris

Roger Dylan
04-16-2005, 02:28 AM
I did in fact use a guide for my first hack. Not as intended; I didn't just follow it step by step. Instead I used it as a "roadmap," if you will, for things to search for and read up on.

This post was a good piece of work.

Probably not as much fun as dumping on the newbies, the forum pastime, but this is the kind of guidance the forum should be providing.

fultz
04-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I've logged in to download init_framework.tgz but apparently I do not
have proper permission to do so. What do I need to do so that I can
download the file?

Thanks
Fultz

PlainBill
04-20-2005, 03:00 PM
I've logged in to download init_framework.tgz but apparently I do not
have proper permission to do so. What do I need to do so that I can
download the file?

Thanks
Fultz
:rolleyes: What did the error message say? By any chance did it indicate you haven't been a member long enough, or read enough, or posted enough?

Not to dump on you, but one of the banes of my existance is the person who posts a question like "I tried to do something. It didn't work. What is wrong?"

PlainBill

bLemert
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I finished following the Weethet guide, and everything seemed (and probably is good). I have to say in the end it worked really well... Under my "System Information" window under the recording capacity, it says "Up to 133 hours" this upgrade involved a 160gb drive. Is this supposed to be accurate? When I issued the restore command during the restore process in Linux, I did use the -s switch. I am using the LBA48 utilities disk. Also, in that same "System Information", it is saying the phone connection "Failed", obviously I don't have a line plugged in, does it matter what this says. I just want to make sure I did everything ok, if not I'll start over, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

cheer
04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
I finished following the Weethet guide, and everything seemed (and probably is good). I have to say in the end it worked really well... Under my "System Information" window under the recording capacity, it says "Up to 133 hours" this upgrade involved a 160gb drive. Is this supposed to be accurate? When I issued the restore command during the restore process in Linux, I did use the -s switch. I am using the LBA48 utilities disk. Also, in that same "System Information", it is saying the phone connection "Failed", obviously I don't have a line plugged in, does it matter what this says. I just want to make sure I did everything ok, if not I'll start over, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The 4.01b software, by default, does not have an LBA48-aware kernel as far as I know. The fact that you used the LBA48 utilities disk doesn't really enter into it.

I'm pretty sure you need to monte into an LBA48-aware kernel -- veterans, correct me if I am wrong. You've got some reading to do.

Mine also says failed. Doesn't matter so long as it never nags you about it.

--chris

bLemert
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
The 4.01b software, by default, does not have an LBA48-aware kernel as far as I know. The fact that you used the LBA48 utilities disk doesn't really enter into it.

I'm pretty sure you need to monte into an LBA48-aware kernel -- veterans, correct me if I am wrong. You've got some reading to do.

Mine also says failed. Doesn't matter so long as it never nags you about it.

--chris

When I check capacity under TivoWebPlus, I get the accurate size, so I am assuming it's correct. As far as the nags, yeah, the thing is, my other hacked unit says "Call Complete"... who knows as long as there are no nags I guess...

Brian

dewalt
04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Since you used a harddrive larger than 137GB, you need the LBA48 kernel. What you did was right. DTivo Always has some weird hours. My 120 says 107 hours, but it will go up to 115.

Use the fakecall on the box to get rid of the failed message.

bLemert
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Since you used a harddrive larger than 137GB, you need the LBA48 kernel. What you did was right. DTivo Always has some weird hours. My 120 says 107 hours, but it will go up to 115.

Use the fakecall on the box to get rid of the failed message.

I did use the fakecall hack, so I assume everything is ok, I appreciate the reply.

Brian

hayreass
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Everything SHOULD be fine, that guide has you install an lba48 kernel.
133 hours seems a little low to me, but not extremely.

Don't worry about the phone connection "Failed".

NutKase's Superpatch-4All will stop the nags.

There is no reason to run fakecall unless it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to not see the word failed.

marquis6461
04-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I tried the Weethet Guide on another 250 G Drive. Went according to the article but I had one question that still nags at me.

If you download the dssapp from the website and replace the existing copy with it. Are you sure the one from the website is 4.01b. The one I downloaded was not. It was 401 and would not work with the guide patch on the board.

I would think that since we use DSSAPP for all the hacks, we should never issue out a DSSAPP. We should only get it from our own image of our drive. I followed the instructions and got a really screwed up copy of it and thought I killed my system again.

Just a thought........

chrispix
04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
This was a great walk thru, I read it a couple times. I have used linux before, but never hacked a tivo. Went really well. The only issue I have is I don't get local channels, Should I call DirecTV to re-enable them? Or is it a config issue.

Thanks,

willebobo420
04-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi!
I've been attempting to use this guide to hack my phillips 704 with a new 120gb drive, USB wireless and all the fixings. I have no Linux experience, but with alot of reading I have been able to finish the guide using the tools listed and both of the disk from pvtupgrade (as well as learn a little linux).

I just reinstalled the drive cleared and restarted it, My problem is I'm unable to see live TV! I can hear it as well as see the guide and tivo central, but no live video. I also tried to record a program and then watch it, but it said I have no video or tried to record a channel I do not receive.

Software upgrade seems to have been sucessful showing vrs 4.0...
USB port not working, but I was goning to work on that later, after I fix the video problem.

Signal test comes up as 100% on both lines.

I just put my old drive back in and everything is fine.
I'm searching the board, but i'm not sure what the problem is?
Please Help!

PlainBill
04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi!
I've been attempting to use this guide to hack my phillips 704 with a new 120gb drive, USB wireless and all the fixings. I have no Linux experience, but with alot of reading I have been able to finish the guide using the tools listed and both of the disk from pvtupgrade (as well as learn a little linux).

I just reinstalled the drive cleared and restarted it, My problem is I'm unable to see live TV! I can hear it as well as see the guide and tivo central, but no live video. I also tried to record a program and then watch it, but it said I have no video or tried to record a channel I do not receive.

Software upgrade seems to have been sucessful showing vrs 4.0...
USB port not working, but I was goning to work on that later, after I fix the video problem.

Signal test comes up as 100% on both lines.

I just put my old drive back in and everything is fine.
I'm searching the board, but i'm not sure what the problem is?
Please Help!

The problem lies between the chair and the keyboard. You are the latest in a long line of <adjective deleted> people who made the same mistake.

Either you have a RID unit, and did not replace dssapp; or you do NOT have a RID unit, and replaced dssapp.

PlainBill

chrispix
04-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Well, I guess I did not have to call DirecTV, my local channels were on this morning.. But, I am unable to get any sound out of the MP3 Files I have shared. I can see them thru HMO, and I can view photos, but when I play the MP3 no sound comes out. Does it require the optical out (digital) to be connected? I just have the RCA (L-R) connected. Thanks.

cheer
04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I tried the Weethet Guide on another 250 G Drive. Went according to the article but I had one question that still nags at me.

If you download the dssapp from the website and replace the existing copy with it. Are you sure the one from the website is 4.01b. The one I downloaded was not. It was 401 and would not work with the guide patch on the board.
You are very confused. DSSAPP has nothing to do with the guide patch.

I would think that since we use DSSAPP for all the hacks, we should never issue out a DSSAPP. We should only get it from our own image of our drive. I followed the instructions and got a really screwed up copy of it and thought I killed my system again.
Perhaps you mean tivoapp. We don't "use DSSAPP for all the hacks." We replace DSSAPP on a RID box when running 4.x because 4.x was not designed for RID hardware. If you're not using a RID box, you don't even need to change it.

I'd do some more reading if I were you.

--chris

willebobo420
04-24-2005, 02:04 AM
The problem lies between the chair and the keyboard. You are the latest in a long line of <adjective deleted> people who made the same mistake.

PlainBill

Just wanted to say thanks to Plainbill for the wit? and the info.

This guide as well as those that led to it (rc,huge, ect.) get a bum rap, on this forum!
I understand that "reading is essential" and that overall understanding the process maybe be a major requirement to sucess, but scaning threw a few hundred post and reviewing a bunch of info that has nothing to do with your system can be fustrating at least, confusing and intimidating definetly!

I started this project with zero linux experience, just basic PC construction and have compleated it with a bad a$$ tivo and little linux under my belt!

I'm not saying it's easy it took me about 10 hours (reading and working) in total to get it right, but it can be done.

All I'm saying is with some persistance this method can be done by almost anyone....
Including me!
Phillips 704
120gb
4.x rid:)
HMO, Tivo Web BLah Blah blah....

1 thing if you don't know what your doing buy the PTV cds it's worth it!

jayx
04-25-2005, 03:31 PM
This was a great walk thru, I read it a couple times. I have used linux before, but never hacked a tivo. Went really well. The only issue I have is I don't get local channels, Should I call DirecTV to re-enable them? Or is it a config issue.

Thanks,

I just followed the guide on 4-23-05, and had the same problem initially. By the afternoon of the 24th the local channels were back. I did have a couple restarts before that though.

thundermustard
04-26-2005, 02:13 AM
The steps worked like a charm, I could not believe how step after step went exactly as described.
Now, can I replicate this on my HR10-250?

kehi66
04-30-2005, 02:18 AM
Is the swap of 127mb the best size to use even for a large drive such as 250GB or is it dependent on the image size? Thanks

espressodaily
04-30-2005, 10:51 AM
First I want to say thanks for the guide. It was a great place to start and I have since dug deeper into the installed items to gain a better understanding of the steps.
---
I have successfully hacked an HDVR2 following this guide. I have also installed MFS_FTP and have performed AlphaWolf's noscramble patch.
I can telnet, ftp and pull shows (.ty files) off the box and play the .ty files with XMBC (the quality is amazing!).

PROBLEM:
When I try to run ccxstream via the bash prompt, I just get a flashing "_" and nothing else.
I tried w/o MFS_FTP running and it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

PlainBill
04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Is the swap of 127mb the best size to use even for a large drive such as 250GB or is it dependent on the image size? Thanks

The 'rule of thumb' is 1 Meg of swap space for every 2 Gig of drive capacity. Also, MFS tools has a bug when trying to create a swap file of more than 127 Meg. It is possible to manually create a larger swap file.

PlainBill

24igibson
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Having read some of the tongue lashings others have recieved it is with some trepidation that this newbie enters the fray...
I'm sure I'm in the right thread and pretty sure this is'nt a totally stupid question so here goes...
I'm following the Weethet guide and have only reached the part where I install the 4.X image to the new hard drive. Thats where my installation comes to a screeching halt:

PTVupgrade /# mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/image/tivo.mfs /dev/hdc

RESTORE FAILED:BACKUP TARGET NOT LARGE ENOUGH FOR ENTIRE BACKUP BY ITSELF.

I have the drives hooked up correctly: The CD drive as secondary slave and an unformatted Western digital 80G drive as secondary master.
'Seems that 80 gigs should be plenty.
Any suggestions? Be nice now!

PlainBill
05-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Having read some of the tongue lashings others have recieved it is with some trepidation that this newbie enters the fray...
I'm sure I'm in the right thread and pretty sure this is'nt a totally stupid question so here goes...
I'm following the Weethet guide and have only reached the part where I install the 4.X image to the new hard drive. Thats where my installation comes to a screeching halt:

I have the drives hooked up correctly: The CD drive as secondary slave and an unformatted Western digital 80G drive as secondary master.
Yes, when you get an error message like this, search on some key words in the error message. About once a week someone has the same problem, and some of us are getting tired of giving the same explanation.

Oh, and the solution is to go buy a larger drive.

PlainBill

hayreass
05-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Any suggestions? Be nice now!Apparently it isn't plenty.

Try without the -s 127

24igibson
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Apparently it isn't plenty.

Try without the -s 127

Thanks hayreass. That looked like it was working for a while but I ended up with a:
NOT ENOUGH SPACE TO EXPAND ON A DRIVE after RESTORE DONE!

I guess I'll just have to wait untill the FEDEX van shows up next week with my new hard drive. 250GIG... Now that should be plenty.

bLemert
05-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Becareful what you say people will jump all over you. Definately make sure it hasn't been asked before, if it has -your dead! Anyways, you DID buy the right image from Ptvupgrade right? I just used this guide last week on a brand new unformatted 80GB and 160GB -and they both worked. The image is very small in comparison to the overall drive size. The SA image is smaller than the DTiVo image.

bL

24igibson
05-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Becareful what you say people will jump all over you. Definately make sure it hasn't been asked before, if it has -your dead! Anyways, you DID buy the right image from Ptvupgrade right? I just used this guide last week on a brand new unformatted 80GB and 160GB -and they both worked. The image is very small in comparison to the overall drive size. The SA image is smaller than the DTiVo image.

bL

Yea, I thought I might incurr some wrath. Whatever.
I spent a while looking through the threads and doiing some searches. I must have missed something.

I'll have to check when I get home and see exactly what image I have. I'm pretty sure it's the TIVO/TCD240080

Jamie
05-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Yea, I thought I might incurr some wrath. Whatever.
I spent a while looking through the threads and doiing some searches. I must have missed something.

I'll have to check when I get home and see exactly what image I have. I'm pretty sure it's the TIVO/TCD240080FWIW, there's a 'Tivo_4.0.1b_unhacked_standalone.mfs' image on emule that will fit on any size (> 1GB) drive. Here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196406&highlight=image#post196406)'s a description of the image. The bittorrent is dead, but it's still active on emule.

hayreass
05-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Yea, I thought I might incurr some wrath.I thought we were all very nice, especially considering how common the question is.

frankie482
05-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I have a brand new maxtor 250 gig 7200rpm drive and a hughes sd-dvr40. Using WeetHet guide, it says to replace the original DSSAPP with our new one. If you are using a new unformatted drive, you are not really replacing the DSSAPP since the drive is clean. Do you follow the same process or is there something else I should do? Thanks in advance!!

dewalt
05-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Your thread in the Series 2 forum says you skipped the RID part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt your's a RID box? I'm assuming you skipped it that part of the guide because you read the part in the guide that says to look for the RID sticker and you did not find it.

Confused :confused:

cheer
05-02-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a brand new maxtor 250 gig 7200rpm drive and a hughes sd-dvr40. Using WeetHet guide, it says to replace the original DSSAPP with our new one. If you are using a new unformatted drive, you are not really replacing the DSSAPP since the drive is clean. Do you follow the same process or is there something else I should do? Thanks in advance!!
You have a lot of reading to do.

(I've got that line as a macro now...) :)

The image that gets restored in this guide DOES have a "dssapp" present, but RID-boxes need to have that file replaced.

--chris

frankie482
05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I originally had the wrong image, and tried to replace the "dssapp" and it did not work. Looking back maybe that image did not contain the "dssapp". The image mentioned was from SW-ICAKE-S2DT. The image I am using now is from TCD240080.

cheer
05-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I originally had the wrong image, and tried to replace the "dssapp" and it did not work. Looking back maybe that image did not contain the "dssapp". The image mentioned was from SW-ICAKE-S2DT. The image I am using now is from TCD240080.
To be honest, after I posted my reply, I wasn't so sure of myself. I don't really know the InstantCake images that well, or what they come with or anything.

I am pretty sure that the TCD240080 is the one the guide says to use. I may have used it on my first hack, come to think of it.

frankie482
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Can I just put the drive in my pc and perform the "dssapp" commands or should i go through the whole process again?

fixn278
05-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Can I just put the drive in my pc and perform the "dssapp" commands or should i go through the whole process again?

No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

frankie482
05-02-2005, 08:42 PM
No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

thanks so much :eek:

thebarge
05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
I'd like to suggest a change in your guide. I'm posting this as a complete newbie to these forums, and new to imaging Tivos. I am, however, not new to PC hardware support, linux, or Tivo (still have an old Tivo branded series 1 thats still running with all original hardware).

The image in the guide showing the motherboard, IDE cables and the setup of the drives is a bit confusing. I almost formatted the wrong drive, until I noticed that your mfsrestore was restoring /dev/hdc, which is the master drive on the secondary controller.

In the image you refer to the secondary IDE channel's master drive as the "Tivo Harddrive" and the primary as the "PC harddrive." This makes it sound like the secondary master (being the "Tivo harddrive") is the persons original harddrive they pulled from their Tivo.

I know in the text just above the image you do give details and say to plug your new drive into the same chain as the cdrom, but to be honest I skim read that party (which was my mistake).

Just a suggestion :) Maybe rename the drives in the image to something a little more obvious (like "New Harddrive" and "Original Tivo Harddrive" or something).

psxboy
05-03-2005, 01:31 PM

I'll have to check when I get home and see exactly what image I have. I'm pretty sure it's the TIVO/TCD240080

I'm sure you've figured this out already, but maybe this will help someone else down the line. Here's what we can see from your two posts:

You're using an 80-Hour drive image
You're restoring it to an 80-Gig drive

The problem is with your restore command: mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/image/tivo.mfs /dev/hdc

The bolded sections are the culprits. Basically, you've told mfs_restore to a) increase the swap size to 127 megs, and b) to expand the image to fill the entire drive. These options take an 80-gig original image, add a larger swap to it and attempt to add an additional mfs pair to it. So...

80-Gig Image + "extra stuff" > 80-Gig HD

If you're restoring an image that was made from an X-hour drive to another X-Gig drive, you must omit the "-s 127" (swap size increase) and "-x" (expand to fill drive/add additional MFS pair) or, well, it won't fit!

-psxboy

PlainBill
05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm sure you've figured this out already, but maybe this will help someone else down the line. Here's what we can see from your two posts:

The problem is with your restore command: mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/image/tivo.mfs /dev/hdc

The bolded sections are the culprits. Basically, you've told mfs_restore to a) increase the swap size to 127 megs, and b) to expand the image to fill the entire drive. These options take an 80-gig original image, add a larger swap to it and attempt to add an additional mfs pair to it. So...

If you're restoring an image that was made from an X-hour drive to another X-Gig drive, you must omit the "-s 127" (swap size increase) and "-x" (expand to fill drive/add additional MFS pair) or, well, it won't fit!

-psxboy

This isn't the entire explanation. The manufacturers play pretty fast and loose with terminology. I have three 40 Gig images, and two 40 Gig drives.
One image will restore to either drive. A second image will restore to one of the drives, but not the other. The third image won't restore to either drive.

The reason? One drive's capacity is 40,000,000,105 bytes. The second drive's capacity is 40,100,000,000 bytes. The last image takes up 40,500,000,000 bytes when I restore it to an 80 Gig drive. And when TiVo builds systems, they use the full capacity of the drive.

PlainBill

bLemert
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM

-psxboy

I just read your post and I am really confused. I used the same "-s 127 -x" when restoring to my 80gig drive and everything is fine... I also used that same command "-s 127 -x" when restoring to my 160gig. Everything SEEMS fine, I posed the question earlier in the thread that my 160gig machine, in the System Information, says up to 133 hours. Is this wrong? Do I need to re-do it?

bL

24igibson
05-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I appreciate your input guys.
Yes, Plainbill thats the same conclusion I eventually came to: One manufacurers 80G drive does not always have the same capacity as another manufacturers drive. Once I realized that the drive had to be 80G or greater it all made sense.
I did try ommiting the " -s 127 -x " and it did start to load the image but stopped at about the 40% mark with some kind of compresion error. -I cant remember the exact message.
Anyway, I am getting a new, larger drive today, so hopefully I'll be up and running soon.
I am trying to do all this at work(!) since my machine at home wont even get past the initial boot ( kernal panic attempting to kill init ) the machine has an AMD 1333 athlon on an MSI K7T board but I'm sure thats an issue for a different forum so I wont ask about it here !
By the way, I did try searching for matches to this "very common" problem and none of the key words in the error message returned a match for me. I eventually googled it and found one hit on this site.
Thanks again for the help.

frankie482
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Put the drive back in my pc and tried to run the dssapp commands. Got an error message saying /tivo/tvbin/dssapp directory not found. Cant remember the exact error. Sounds like it cant find anything to replace! Any help would be great! :confused:

hayreass
05-03-2005, 10:01 PM
cp /cdrom/dssapp/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/
chmod +x /tivo/tvbin/dssapp Just like it says, should work.
If it doesn't maybe you made your disk different than the author.

frankie482
05-03-2005, 10:07 PM
If I used the wrong image at first, then went through the whole process again using a different image does it erase or replace the first one?

hayreass
05-03-2005, 10:13 PM
If I used the wrong image at first, then went through the whole process again using a different image does it erase or replace the first one?
It replaces EVERYTHING.
An image is a complete set of information.

If you made a CD like the walkthrough said, you should have a directory called dssapp.
In that directory is a file called dssapp.

If you mount your CD as /cdrom like the instructions say, the previous code will work.
It doesn't make a backup like you should, but you said you tried that, and it didn't work.

frankie482
05-03-2005, 10:15 PM
The first error occurs after this line:
mv /tivo/tvbin/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/dssapp.orig

hayreass
05-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I'll be more specific, sorry.

SKIP THAT LINE

The line you are skipping moves dssapp to dssapp.orig

If you have no dssapp, you can't move it.
(don't know why you wouldn't have it, but you say that it errors out)

frankie482
05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
I'll be more specific, sorry.

SKIP THAT LINE

The line you are skipping moves dssapp to dssapp.orig

If you have no dssapp, you can't move it.
(don't know why you wouldn't have it, but you say that it errors out)

the rest of the commands "error out" also

hayreass
05-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Then you've done / are doing something wrong.

I've no idea what, since you haven't told us the errors.

Well, I have some ideas, but I'm not sharing 'til you do.

frankie482
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry, I knew I should have written it down exactly, but my kid needed to be fed and somethings are just more important. I will try again, and if I get the errors, I will write them down and post them. I know I am new to this and you are getting annoyed, but I appreciate your patience!

PlainBill
05-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I knew I should have written it down exactly, but my kid needed to be fed and somethings are just more important. I will try again, and if I get the errors, I will write them down and post them. I know I am new to this and you are getting annoyed, but I appreciate your patience!
Did you mount the cdrom and the root partition on the TiVo drive?

Suggestion: Report the commands you entered, and the results you got (or didn't get). Few things are as frustrating as trying to help someone who doesn't give enough information to figure out WHY something is going wrong.

PlainBill

psxboy
05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I just read your post and I am really confused. I used the same "-s 127 -x" when restoring to my 80gig drive and everything is fine... I also used that same command "-s 127 -x" when restoring to my 160gig. Everything SEEMS fine, I posed the question earlier in the thread that my 160gig machine, in the System Information, says up to 133 hours. Is this wrong? Do I need to re-do it?

bL
That post was in response to 24igibson's situation where he was trying to restore an 80-gig drive image to another 80-gig drive. If he were starting out with a 40-gig image, it would've been a moot point. But, here's the response I cooked up to explain it in more detail:

Ok... this really goes to the heart of the matter: understanding what the switches do and why you would want to use them (and when you shouldn't use them).

Let's say you have an image from an 80-hour Tivo drive. For the purposes of this explanation, we'll keep it simple & say that the image takes up exactly 80,000,000,000 bytes on the original drive. If you restore that image to another drive without any switches, it will take up exactly 80,000,000,000 bytes on the new drive.

Now, let's say you introduce the "-s 127" switch. That tells mfsrestore to increase the size of the swap partition to 127MB (from 64MB - the original size on a stock image). With just this one change, the amount of space required on the target drive goes up by 63MB to 80,063,000,000 bytes.

Finally, by supplying the "-x" option, you're telling mfsrestore to add an additional mfs pair to your image (in order to use the additional space on a larger drive). This will create a 512KB mfs application region and use the remaining space on the drive to create an mfs media region to store recordings in. Normally, to be of any use, this media region should be several gigs in size but for our example we'll just keep it at 10MB. So now our target drive space requirement goes up to 80,073,512,000 bytes.

Guess what? If you try to restore the original 80-hour image with both the "-s 127" and the "-x" options, you'll need a target drive that has at least 73.5MB more space than the drive the image was orginally made from. By omitting the "-x" option only, you still need a target drive with at least 63MB more space than the original drive had. But by omitting both of those options, you only need a target drive that has at least the same amount of space as the original drive that the image came from.

You should only use the "-s 127" and the "-x" option if you are restoring an image to a drive that is significantly larger than the size of the drive that the image originally came from. Otherwise, they do you no good and will cause your restore to fail if the drive isn't large enough to add all the space you're asking it to.

Make sense?

As far as your "133 hours on a 160-Gig drive" situation goes... it COULD be correct, but odds are you used a non LBA48-aware boot disc/CD when you restored the image to the 160-Gig drive. This would result in only the first 137GB of the drive being used, thus limiting your recording time to 133 hours. If you want to use the entire 160GB of the drive, you need to boot with an LBA48-aware boot disc/CD when you do the restore, AND you must use an LBA48-aware Tivo kernel during normal operation.

-psxboy

frankie482
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Did you mount the cdrom and the root partition on the TiVo drive?

Suggestion: Report the commands you entered, and the results you got (or didn't get). Few things are as frustrating as trying to help someone who doesn't give enough information to figure out WHY something is going wrong.

PlainBill

The answer to "Did you mount the cdrom and the root partition on the TiVo drive?" is - I followed the Weethet guide exactly, so if the commands in the guide mount the cdrom and the root partition, then yes. If the guide commands do not mount the cdrom and the root partition, then no.

cheer
05-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The answer to "Did you mount the cdrom and the root partition on the TiVo drive?" is - I followed the Weethet guide exactly, so if the commands in the guide mount the cdrom and the root partition, then yes. If the guide commands do not mount the cdrom and the root partition, then no.
We're not here to act as a support for the guide itself. If you're not sure whether you did that or not, then it's not a surprise you're having problems.

Yes, the guide does tell you to do that. However we have no way of knowing (A) if you followed it exactly without typos, and (B) if your system matched the configuration of the system used for the guide exactly.

Do you remember typing mount commands? Do you remember what it said when you did it?

If you can't give us details as to exactly what happened, we're not going to be able to help. I understand your kid needed to be fed...well, many of us also have kids, jobs, responsibilities, etc. My advice is to make sure you have plenty of time set aside to do this -- this is not something you'll knock out in half an hour.

bLemert
05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
That post was in response to 24igibson's situation where he was trying to restore an 80-gig drive image to another 80-gig drive. If he were starting out with a 40-gig image, it would've been a moot point. But, here's the response I cooked up to explain it in more detail:

Ok... this really goes to the heart of the matter: understanding what the switches do and why you would want to use them (and when you shouldn't use them).

Let's say you have an image from an 80-hour Tivo drive. For the purposes of this explanation, we'll keep it simple & say that the image takes up exactly 80,000,000,000 bytes on the original drive. If you restore that image to another drive without any switches, it will take up exactly 80,000,000,000 bytes on the new drive.

Now, let's say you introduce the "-s 127" switch. That tells mfsrestore to increase the size of the swap partition to 127MB (from 64MB - the original size on a stock image). With just this one change, the amount of space required on the target drive goes up by 63MB to 80,063,000,000 bytes.

Finally, by supplying the "-x" option, you're telling mfsrestore to add an additional mfs pair to your image (in order to use the additional space on a larger drive). This will create a 512KB mfs application region and use the remaining space on the drive to create an mfs media region to store recordings in. Normally, to be of any use, this media region should be several gigs in size but for our example we'll just keep it at 10MB. So now our target drive space requirement goes up to 80,073,512,000 bytes.

Guess what? If you try to restore the original 80-hour image with both the "-s 127" and the "-x" options, you'll need a target drive that has at least 73.5MB more space than the drive the image was orginally made from. By omitting the "-x" option only, you still need a target drive with at least 63MB more space than the original drive had. But by omitting both of those options, you only need a target drive that has at least the same amount of space as the original drive that the image came from.

You should only use the "-s 127" and the "-x" option if you are restoring an image to a drive that is significantly larger than the size of the drive that the image originally came from. Otherwise, they do you no good and will cause your restore to fail if the drive isn't large enough to add all the space you're asking it to.

Make sense?

As far as your "133 hours on a 160-Gig drive" situation goes... it COULD be correct, but odds are you used a non LBA48-aware boot disc/CD when you restored the image to the 160-Gig drive. This would result in only the first 137GB of the drive being used, thus limiting your recording time to 133 hours. If you want to use the entire 160GB of the drive, you need to boot with an LBA48-aware boot disc/CD when you do the restore, AND you must use an LBA48-aware Tivo kernel during normal operation.

-psxboy

psxboy, I appreciate your kindly response. The image and boot disc that I purchased and downloaded from ptvupgrade is exactly the one that they asked for in the guide it was called ptvlba48-4.01DD.ISO I believe that is the correct image to use, it gave me the 48 bit kernal. Should the "-s 127" switch have been a different number? Thanks again!

Brian

frankie482
05-04-2005, 05:29 PM
We're not here to act as a support for the guide itself. If you're not sure whether you did that or not, then it's not a surprise you're having problems.

Yes, the guide does tell you to do that. However we have no way of knowing (A) if you followed it exactly without typos, and (B) if your system matched the configuration of the system used for the guide exactly.

Do you remember typing mount commands? Do you remember what it said when you did it?

If you can't give us details as to exactly what happened, we're not going to be able to help. I understand your kid needed to be fed...well, many of us also have kids, jobs, responsibilities, etc. My advice is to make sure you have plenty of time set aside to do this -- this is not something you'll knock out in half an hour.

I will try to give more info next post. I appreciate the help and will try again on my own and write down exactly as I go in case I run into problems. Thanks for the help!

Roger Dylan
05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
We're not here to act as a support for the guide itself.

Shouldn't this thread, titled

Weethet "TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo" guide - support thread

be renamed then?

PlainBill
05-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Shouldn't this thread, titled

Weethet "TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo" guide - support thread

be renamed then?
Or as an alternative, you could contribute by educating Frankie482. Given your willingness to voice an opinion, this would seem like a perfect opportunity for you.

PlainBill

frankie482
05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Or as an alternative, you could contribute by educating Frankie482. Given your willingness to voice an opinion, this would seem like a perfect opportunity for you.

PlainBill

SUCCESS :) :) :)

PlainBill
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
SUCCESS :) :) :)
Congratulations!!! This is your opportunity to brag - tell everyone how you did it!

PlainBill

hayreass
05-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Congratulations!!! This is your opportunity to brag - tell everyone how you did it!Indeed....
Save the next Newbie from going through what you did.

24igibson
05-04-2005, 11:07 PM

Make sense?

-psxboy

I'd also like to thank you for your detailed explanation of my problem. I did try omitting the "-s 127" and the "-x" but to no avail so I'm thinking that the physical drive capacity of my target disk is smaller than required for the image with or without the bigger swap partition.
I have a new 120G drive sitting here but as I have mentioned, my home computer hangs up while booting from the boot cd.
At great risk of beiing jumped on for an unapropriate question post; can anybody enlighten me as to what might be goiing on?
The machine is an AMD athlon on a MSI K7T.
The error message reads:
Unable to handle kernal null pointer dereference at virtual address 00000024
Yes, I have searched both here and through google for a match but nothing helpful.
If I cant fix this I'll take my new drive into work with me and try it on one of the machines there.

Roger Dylan
05-05-2005, 12:55 AM
did start to load the image but stopped at about the 40% mark with some kind of compresion error. -I cant remember the exact message.

I have only skimmed the messages here so I may have missed something that rules this out, but incompatibility between a specific image and a particular CD drive or (less often) CD media is a somewhat common (or at least not rare) problem.

In my own setup I once had a disk image that WOULD NOT decompress on an ultra high quality internal drive that performed flawlessly in all other situations. Almost on a whim I jeeped in an old banged up cheap Brand X drive, with a long drive cable hanging out of the computer, and the image decompressed fine, every time. For awhile I strapped on that drive whenever I had to use that particular image.

Also I noticed in another message that your computer itself may not be performing at 100%. In some respects you're pushing your computer towards the edge with some of the chores in hacking Tivos, or at least off middle of the road. I wouldn't rely on a computer that was demonstrating errors on other tasks to hack a Tivo (or for any important or demanding tasks for that matter). I'd get the computer back to nominal or try another computer.

frankie482
05-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Congratulations!!! This is your opportunity to brag - tell everyone how you did it!

PlainBill

I wont brag just happy I got it done.

psxboy
05-05-2005, 11:45 AM
psxboy, I appreciate your kindly response. The image and boot disc that I purchased and downloaded from ptvupgrade is exactly the one that they asked for in the guide it was called ptvlba48-4.01DD.ISO I believe that is the correct image to use, it gave me the 48 bit kernal. Should the "-s 127" switch have been a different number? Thanks again!

Brian
The "-s 127" switch won't affect the amount of recording time on the disk. (Well, unless you specify an unusually large swap-file size that eats into the amount of drive space you have for recordings... but I digres.) Adjusting that number won't do anything for your problem.

The only thing that could possibly cause you to get less-than-expected recording time from a disk is the LBA48 stuff: either the disk was prepared in a non-LBA48 environment, which would limit the amount of usable space on the drive to ~137GB, or your LBA48 kernel isn't getting loaded when the Tivo boots. (Actually, I think only the first situation would result in the System Info screen reporting the lower number.)

If you followed the guide correctly, neither of these situations should apply in your case, and the 133-hour figure may be correct after all. If you're really paranoid about it, you can use pdisk to make sure the drive space is being used in it's entirety. You might also want to look at the console output as the Tivo boots to ensure that the LBA48 kernel is being properly chain-loaded, and that it reports the drive size correcly. As long as all of that is kosher, then you have nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Here's another guy (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221911#post221911) who's getting 136 hours with a 160GB drive on a DVR40... it very well may be correct.

-psxboy

bLemert
05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
EDIT: Here's another guy (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221911#post221911) who's getting 136 hours with a 160GB drive on a DVR40... it very well may be correct.

-psxboy

I think I'm good then, Thank You!

bL

frankie482
05-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Is there a way to add my tivo (sd-dvr 80) -hacked using weethet- to my network wirelessly. I have a netgear wg111 adaptor. Thanks!!

kehi66
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know exactly what recording time a 160GB drive should report if installed correctly with the LBA48 bootcd, LBA48 aware kernel, and on a computer that is LBA48 aware? I used the PTVupgrade LBA48 CD with MFStools and Enhancements cd along with the Weethet guide on a new 160gb Segate drive and the tivo only shows 133 hours of recording time. This drive was prepared on a computer that is LBA48 aware and saw the full 160gb. I do not believe the LBA48 is working. I followed the directions very carefully with the exception of using a different 4.0.1 image that was obtained through p2p client. This is on a RCA DVR39 series 2 unit. My question is does the image that you are restoring to a drive have to be LBA48 aware when it is backed up? If so, is their any program that can do this before it is burnt to the "TivoTools" cd? Is the image from ptvupgrade LBA48 aware and will it give longer recording time? Thanks

Joe C
05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know exactly what recording time a 160GB drive should report if installed correctly with the LBA48 bootcd, LBA48 aware kernel, and on a computer that is LBA48 aware? Thanks

You should be at 133 hrs, give or take an hour.

kehi66
05-06-2005, 02:04 PM
It is very weird because after restoring the image ptvupgrade stated that estimated recording time would be 175 hours. Also, my brother has a Series 1 with 2x80gb drives and her has 149 hours recording time. Anyone know why 2x80 is not equal to 1x160gb? Thanks

Jamie
05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
It is very weird because after restoring the image ptvupgrade stated that estimated recording time would be 175 hours. Also, my brother has a Series 1 with 2x80gb drives and her has 149 hours recording time. Anyone know why 2x80 is not equal to 1x160gb? ThanksAre you comparing apples to apples? dtivos and s2sa tivos have different hours/GB ratios. The image restore is (probably) reporting standalone times, at basic quality. dtivo streams are much higher quality than standalone basic streams, but also use more disk space.

hayreass
05-06-2005, 04:34 PM
You should be at 133 hrs, give or take an hour.
This is too big af a variable to narrow down to an hour or so.
Actual HD size, how much space is reserved for Showcases, etc.. make a pretty big difference.

I can get wildly different recording capacities on the same hard drive just by changing the reserved space allotted for Clips.

lgkahn
05-06-2005, 10:25 PM
yes definately I have a dtivo running 4.0.1b with a 160 gb drive and it reports 136 hours in systgem info...

94SupraTT
05-06-2005, 11:38 PM
My 160GB hard drive with 4.0.1b running reports as 133hours.

My thread about my paranoia over this.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42831&highlight=133

24igibson
05-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Tivo is up and running. OS4, HMO,networking working...My 120G drive shows 97 hours of recording time. I learnt a smattering of Linux as well as some DealDatabase forum etiquette(?).
The Weethet guide was the only way to get this done for an ultra-newbie like myself. However I would have been even more lost without the help of this forum and its knowledgeable regulars. Thanks to all!
Here's a few things I learnt along the way (I know, to some of you it is "stating the bleeding obvious"- as we Brits like to say):

1. This will not work with "any" PC even if it does meet all the criterier listed in the guide. I have two machines at home, one an older AMD athlon rig, the other a brand new P4 setup. I used the same CD drive on each and niether of them would complete booting from the linux boot CD. The only common denominator between them, as far as I can see, is that they both have an on-bored RAID controller. The IDE channels I was trying to use were not part of any array.

2. if you are using the "TIVO/TCD240080" image you need a drive that is greater than 80G. Some have said this is not the case but I think it depends on the brand of drive you use. If it happens to be a few megs smaller than the drive the image was taken from it will not work. I'm sure that is not an issue for most as a capacity increase is usually part of the upgrade process.

3.Enter all text extremely carefully and note that, of course, when you change directory the command line will show the new full path so things will look a little different to how it is presented in the guide

4. Your Tivo box may very well be a RID model even if there is nothing on the case to tell you that. I found out the hard way when I had sound but no picture on Live TV. Thankfully this issue is covered in these pages.

I'm sure I am not done yet, It looks like I still have tytools and a few other mods to install. So the fun continues...

kyoung
05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Everyone, Han referred me to this thread. I was asking him if I could use the same 4.x on a DSR704. Thanks in advance

here is his reponse

"My guess (emphasis on guess) is that it will work, however, keep in mind
that I'm totally not familiar with the Philips DSR704.

You might want to check in the dealdatabase forum, there is a newbie
section, with a topic specifically for the weethet article."

darrin75
05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a dtivo with this software everything works great..Good luck

kyoung
05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a dtivo with this software everything works great..Good luck

is it a philips/ I put this on my Hughes HDVR2 last night and it work great, just wondering if I could use it on my Philips DSR704. Thanks

hayreass
05-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Hi Everyone, Han referred me to this thread. I was asking him if I could use the same 4.x on a DSR704. Thanks in advance

here is his reponse

"My guess (emphasis on guess) is that it will work, however, keep in mind
that I'm totally not familiar with the Philips DSR704.

You might want to check in the dealdatabase forum, there is a newbie
section, with a topic specifically for the weethet article."
Who is Han, and what is your question?

Can I use the same 4.x?The same 4.x as what?

Can I follow the Huge walkthrough on a DSR704?
Short answer, yes.

Longer answer.
Is it an RID receiver?
After figuring that out, can you read the walkthrough and figure out which parts you need to do?

kyoung
05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Who is Han, and what is your question?

The same 4.x as what?

Can I follow the Huge walkthrough on a DSR704?
Short answer, yes.

Longer answer.
Is it an RID receiver?
After figuring that out, can you read the walkthrough and figure out which parts you need to do?

Han is the one who wrote the weehnet guide. its a RID receiver. Thanks for your help

hayreass
05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Han is the one who wrote the weehnet guide. its a RID receiver. Thanks for your helpAhhhh....

He may be the publisher, but is definitely not the Author.
At least not of most of it.
Most of it was written by others, though I haven't compared it side by side with the previous incarnations of the walkthrough.

kyoung
05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Ahhhh....

He may be the publisher, but is definitely not the Author.
At least not of most of it.
Most of it was written by others, though I haven't compared it side by side with the previous incarnations of the walkthrough.

it's a must for a newbie like me, I was able to upgrade my hughes on first try.

Thanks everyone.

by the way since its the same file, can I just pull the HD from hughes and drop it on my DVR704? The Hughes is not a RID and my Philips is a RID

darrin75
05-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Nope.. I don't think that would work. And answer to your question i have the phillips dsr704 and all you need to do is following the directions at the botoom of the sight you are refering to..

kyoung
05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Nope.. I don't think that would work. And answer to your question i have the phillips dsr704 and all you need to do is following the directions at the botoom of the sight you are refering to..

This is my plan, get rid of my hughes hdvr2 and use the 120 GB HD from that and install it to the philips. The hughes sometimes gives me a problem indicating please insert valid access card. I have to wiggle the card and spend a few minutes until it works, thats why I want to get rid of it. So do I need to redo the harddrive or do I just enter this for the phillips

!!! THIS STEP IS FOR RID MODELS ONLY !!!
Now we need an extra step for so called RID models.

RID models can be identified by looking at the back of the receiver. There is a label identifying the brand and model (mine has it's sticker where the power goes into the TiVo).

RID models have a RID number there. Something like "RID: 000012345678".
My Hughes SD-DVR40 is a RID model.

We need to replace the original DSSAPP with our new one.
First we move (mv) the original file (rename it), then we copy (cp) the new file to this location, and finally we make the new file executable (chmod):

PTVupgrade /# mv /tivo/tvbin/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/dssapp.orig PTVupgrade /# cp /cdrom/dssapp/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/PTVupgrade /# chmod +x /tivo/tvbin/dssapp

kehi66
05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
When updating the kernel could one use the new 4.0.1a kernel that comes with the $5 bootcd instead of the 3.1.1c kernel that is used during this guide? Will it achieve the same results or just cause problems? Thanks

hayreass
05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Kyoung,
I think you should be able to just do that step, and then do a Clear and Delete Everything.
Or even better if you are trying to save programming, run 51killer.tcl instead of the C&D E.

kyoung
05-11-2005, 04:06 AM
Kyoung,
I think you should be able to just do that step, and then do a Clear and Delete Everything.
Or even better if you are trying to save programming, run 51killer.tcl instead of the C&D E.

I took the HD out and entered the RID command and intalled it to my philips, then clear and deleet everything. its now up and running, i also bought a linksys usb and now its network. need to learn how this network stuff works..thanks everyone

kramerj
05-11-2005, 11:00 AM
My 160GB hard drive with 4.0.1b running reports as 133hours.

My thread about my paranoia over this.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42831&highlight=133

Supra thanks for the thread, good stuff there.

I also have a 160GB HDD with 4.0.1b running which reports 133 hours.

I enabled backdoors and then access the "Disk Usage Space" and it says my total usable space is 127077MB

I've been reading for a few days now and can't find any information on whether this sounds right?

Can anyone provide some feedback -
seems kind of low to me?

thanks

kyoung
05-11-2005, 01:36 PM
ok another question, would this work on tcd540040? My bro saw mine and he wants to hack his tivo also in order to save his video on the computer.

kyoung
05-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Ok I followed WeetHet - TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo. I'm on step 12 ( http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php )and having problems. I keep on getting "Network error: Connection refused" I'm using putty. I'm able to ping to the tivo. I have a Dlink DI-524 router, using linksys usb200. tivo is Philips DSR704 with 120 gb Hardrive.

I also tried this and no luck, what could it be?

http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html

darrin75
05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Sounds like to me you have a firewall problem, but most likely you have a typo in your rc.sysinit.author file on boot up..Check your settings

PlainBill
05-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Ok I followed WeetHet - TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo. I'm on step 12 ( http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php )and having problems. I keep on getting "Network error: Connection refused" I'm using putty. I'm able to ping to the tivo. I have a Dlink DI-524 router, using linksys usb200. tivo is Philips DSR704 with 120 gb Hardrive.

I also tried this and no luck, what could it be?

http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html
Ping succeding would indicate the network adapter is configured properly, etc.

Did you rename netfilter-enable?

Can you telnet to the TiVo?

And, above all, where is the serial console output?

PlainBill

kyoung
05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Ping succeding would indicate the network adapter is configured properly, etc.

Did you rename netfilter-enable?

I did this PTVupgrade /# mv /tivo/etc/netfilter-enable /tivo/etc/netfilter-notenabled

Can you telnet to the TiVo?

I cannot telnet to tivo, i used putty and xp's telnet

And, above all, where is the serial console output?

I'm lost on this one, I dont know what that means. I have a serial port at home and will try to use it. Still searching on how to use it. If you know the thread, care to send me that way? thanks

PlainBill

Thanks everyone for taking your time on helping a NOOB

kyoung
05-13-2005, 03:01 AM
I was able to fix it, find out the problem on weethnet guide he has it as export TIVO_ROOT= while dellanave has it as export TIVO_ROOT=""

Now I installed all the patches thru patty but run into one problem.
"./guide_patch_v401b.tcl /tvbin/tivoapp.guide_patch
# If it says "File was patched" proceed. If not, bail out, and search DD for guide patch"

I found the fix it should this

Download guide_patch_v401b.tcl to the tivo. Make sure it's executable:
chmod 777 guide_patch_v401b.tcl
Make sure that the root is writable:
mount -o remount,rw /
Make a copy of tivoapp:
cp /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.guide_patch
Run the patch: *
guide_patch_v401b.tcl /tvbin/tivoapp.guide_patch
You should get a message that says "File was patched".

kyoung
05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok I spent about 3-4 hours last night trying to, read the forums and ftp files on my tivo. I was able to ftp but when I try to created a folder to copy tytools, its saying read only. I was wondering how can I make it read and write.

hayreass
05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Ok I spent about 3-4 hours last night trying to, read the forums and ftp files on my tivo. I was able to ftp but when I try to created a folder to copy tytools, its saying read only. I was wondering how can I make it read and write.Good Lord Man

Look at your own posts.

You answered this very question yourself just 1 post up.

I don't want to sound too mean, but spending 3-4 hours trying to solve this is pretty lame considering that the 2nd post that comes up when you search using the 2 words read, and write, has the answer. And that you already answered it yourself.

I'm curious what did you spend these hours doing?
Or do you think we'll all be eager to help if you just say you spent hours?

dewalt
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
What's really funny...is that the guide itself gives the command at least twice - and it tells you what the command does! - TWICE.

Ok so it's not the EXACT command, but really...

kyoung
05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Good Lord Man

Look at your own posts.

You answered this very question yourself just 1 post up.

I don't want to sound too mean, but spending 3-4 hours trying to solve this is pretty lame considering that the 2nd post that comes up when you search using the 2 words read, and write, has the answer. And that you already answered it yourself.

I'm curious what did you spend these hours doing?
Or do you think we'll all be eager to help if you just say you spent hours?

i was able to patch it, but when I ftp to it, it would not let me do anything except view the files. i spent 3-4 hours because i refotmated the hd three times just to make sure i ddint miss anything and just did searches on goodle, wetnet and deaddatabase.

dewalt
05-13-2005, 12:51 PM
just did searches on goodle, wetnet and deaddatabase.

I think I found your problem...

gooGle
weEthet
deaLdatabase

kyoung
05-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I think I found your problem...

gooGle
weEthet
deaLdatabase

lol, didnt look at the spellings

kyoung
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
What's really funny...is that the guide itself gives the command at least twice - and it tells you what the command does! - TWICE.

Ok so it's not the EXACT command, but really...

I put this command last night using putty and nothing still not able to read and write

bash-2.02# mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7

kyoung
05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
I put this command last night using putty and nothing still not able to read and write

bash-2.02# mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7

ok i got it to work, opened flash fxp and ftp to tivo. then i opened the command line on flashfxp and enter mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7 its now read and write. Now i'm stuck again. it says on the guide tio install it on /var/hack . I only see var and hack, i dont have /var/hack. any idea?

PlainBill
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
ok i got it to work, opened flash fxp and ftp to tivo. then i opened the command line on flashfxp and enter mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7 its now read and write. Now i'm stuck again. it says on the guide tio install it on /var/hack . I only see var and hack, i dont have /var/hack. any idea?
I think Tschwenke got it exactly right in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222606&postcount=4) post. We don't mind giving a little help here, but this is getting totally out of hand. I have always maintained that we should not require anyone to be a Linux guru before they post. You're starting to make me rethink my position.

PlainBill

hayreass
05-13-2005, 02:31 PM

bash-2.02# mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7I'm going to switch from using the word lame to retarded pretty soon.

I mentioned earlier that you had answered your own question, and told you in which post you had answered it.
I told you what search words to use.
I'll be more clear, YOU ANSWERED THIS QUESTION IN POST #142

Does something in my history lead you to believe I am a liar?

If you spent nearly as many hours around here as you claim, you've run into my posts.

Now, unbookmark that Old, Outdated, POS guide you are reading, and read the tytool faq. (http://www.tytool.com/tytemplates/FAQ/Setup/default.aspx) It is very hard to miss, just click the help button in tytool.

Since you are the guy who seems to be in contact with the "author" of this guide, maybe you can ask him to remove the POS, outdated guide that you are using from here. (http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_extract_videos.php)
Or at least get him to update it... or put up a big disclaimer... etc...

I only see var and hack, i dont have /var/hack. any idea?Yes, you have not created a /var/hack directory.

kyoung
05-13-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm going to switch from using the word lame to retarded pretty soon.

I mentioned earlier that you had answered your own question, and told you in which post you had answered it.
I told you what search words to use.
I'll be more clear, YOU ANSWERED THIS QUESTION IN POST #142

Does something in my history lead you to believe I am a liar?

If you spent nearly as many hours around here as you claim, you've run into my posts.

Now, unbookmark that Old, Outdated, POS guide you are reading, and read the tytool faq. (http://www.tytool.com/tytemplates/FAQ/Setup/default.aspx) It is very hard to miss, just click the help button in tytool.

Since you are the guy who seems to be in contact with the "author" of this guide, maybe you can ask him to remove the POS, outdated guide that you are using from here. (http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_extract_videos.php)
Or at least get him to update it... or put up a big disclaimer... etc...
Yes, you have not created a /var/hack directory.

UHHHHH I SEEE I GOT IT.. THANKS EVERYONE....HAVE A NICE WEEKEND

iitywygms
06-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I will be trying to install 6.2 onto my system soon. I am just waiting for direct tv to download the updates so i know i have the correct slices. I have read that the updates should be downloaded by now. When i type "echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh", i do not see any info on new updates. only the 4.01b. Shouldnt i see the new updates by now?

dtivo sd-dvr40 fully hacked using weehet guide.
thanks

PlainBill
06-08-2005, 10:28 PM
I will be trying to install 6.2 onto my system soon. I am just waiting for direct tv to download the updates so i know i have the correct slices. I have read that the updates should be downloaded by now. When i type "echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh", i do not see any info on new updates. only the 4.01b. Shouldnt i see the new updates by now?

dtivo sd-dvr40 fully hacked using weehet guide.
thanks
Read this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214143&postcount=137) post. Then read that entire thread. Unless you upgraded to 4.0.1b by slices or loaded the DirecTV loopsets manually, there is no way you will ever see 6.2 in SwSystem.

PlainBill

iitywygms
06-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Thank you Plain Bill for pointing me in the right direction.
My feeling is that i should put the original virgin drive back in my tivo, let it upgrade to 6.2, then image that drive to another drive and hack that drive. I think this is a safe path for a newbie, do you agree? Thanks.

PlainBill
06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Thank you Plain Bill for pointing me in the right direction.
My feeling is that i should put the original virgin drive back in my tivo, let it upgrade to 6.2, then image that drive to another drive and hack that drive. I think this is a safe path for a newbie, do you agree? Thanks.
There are two possible paths: Start over, letting an unhacked drive take the upgrade; or upgrade a hacked drive, rehacking it in the system.

The deciding factor should be the recordings on the present drive. If you want to save them, upgrade and rehack. If you don't mind starting over, let the original drive take the upgrade, then hack it.

I have Alphawolf's 6.2 small image; however I prefer to upgrade 'in place', rehacking before the reboot. OTOH, I've been discovering various ways of screwing up while hacking DirecTiVo software for more than a year. It's no big deal if the DirecTiVo on my desk is unavailable for a day or two; you situation may be different.

PlainBill

rocketdyke
06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Yahoo. Finally managed to get everything working following the weethet (http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php) guide. Quite a comprehensive guide, and I thank everyone who put it together.

I ran into a problem, though, viewing video. Turns out it was an RID problem. For some reason, my model has no indication that it is an RID model! (no RID: long_number on the case anywhere) Perhaps it is a printing error on the part of the manufacturer, but I just thought I'd point out to everone that if you are having problems seeing the video with this model, try putting in the modded dssapp.

Oh, no need to pull the drive back out of the tivo, either. Just telnet in, move the original:

cd /tvbin
mv dssapp dssapp.orig

and then using ftp drop in the new one from your computer.

-Rocketdyke

kurtcito
06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
:confused: I did all as requested here: http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php, with a new harddrive (good thing), boots fine, but several issues. #1, I get video and audio on the preview channel only, but I get audio only on all the channels I pay for. Is this normal, does it take a while for them to show up? #2, I don't see the option under setup for the Wireless and TCP/IP connections. I have a Netgear USB ethernet plugged into the USB slot. This is a RCA DVR40. The new drive is a 250GB Seagate. Anyone with any ideas? My goal was getting the USB ports to work so I could network the box with my computer. Thanks

PlainBill
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
:confused: I did all as requested here: http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php, with a new harddrive (good thing), boots fine, but several issues. #1, I get video and audio on the preview channel only, but I get audio only on all the channels I pay for. Is this normal, does it take a while for them to show up? #2, I don't see the option under setup for the Wireless and TCP/IP connections. I have a Netgear USB ethernet plugged into the USB slot. This is a RCA DVR40. The new drive is a 250GB Seagate. Anyone with any ideas? My goal was getting the USB ports to work so I could network the box with my computer. Thanks
Problem #1 is due to using the wrong tivoapp. RCA DVR40 is a RID unit, you apparently are using the 4.0.1 tivoapp.

A more important question is why are you wasting time with 4.0.1? 6.2 has been out for several months now, is native for DirecTiVos, has all the features of 4.x, and has a significantly faster UI.

PlainBill

kurtcito
06-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Will give it a try... was using the 4.x because of the link I found in weethet...

kurtcito
06-28-2005, 08:46 AM
PlainBill... The 6.2 is DTV Tivo software, so if I have that my USB ports will still be disabled.. compliments of DTV. The Weethet site is the only place I found information on installing the standalone 4.x software to activate the usb ports on the RCA DVR40. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

dewalt
06-28-2005, 09:07 AM
The Weethet site is the only place I found information on installing the standalone 4.x software to activate the usb ports on the RCA DVR40. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Yes. The search button on this site.

There's a great thread for 6.2 on Dtivo's in the Series 2 Support forum.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325

kfcrary
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
6.2 does include ethernet drivers, and it's much easier to get working on a DTivo than 4.x. I don't know of a Weethet guide for 6.2, but you can find all the information you need here.

darrin75
07-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Searched a bit. But I don't think this has been an issue with anyone. I have a dsr704 upgraded to 4.01b superpatched,guide patched.mrv viewing. Everything works great, but every now and then I lose all sound on my tv. Unplugging the tv seems to fix the problem. So i thought... tv problem, nope... I upgraded my fathers tivo to the 4.01b and just now he called me to tell me that his sound was out. I told him to try unpluging the tv, and holy crap the sound was back. He has the same model and everything as me. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem...Help..I would have just thought it was my tv, but now that my father has the same problem it has to be the tivo,perhaps 4.01b..I would upgrade to 6.2, but I really use the standby button on the main screen, Hopefully someone will figure a way to move it to the main screen and place music and photos in the messages and setup screen...Thanks

hayreass
07-10-2005, 02:59 AM
If you used the same image on both, perhaps it's a bad image.

You could try a new image on them, or if you have too many recordings you want to save, take a longer route.

Restore a new image to a spare drive, then dd the root to your other drives.
Adjust the bootpage parameters if necessary.

dagnabber
07-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for this great thread. I had this question on another thread and decided that it probably belongs here.
The Unit is a Dtivo Samsung SIR-S4080R and I added a Maxtor 160GB and used the Weethet "TiVo 4.x for your DirecTiVo" guide. All went perfect it fired right up, and everything works great telnet, local channels, 135 hours record time, etc., just one minor detail. l can't ftp to the box. tivoftpd just won't let me in. :^(

I have triple checked everything that other threads suggest and found that tivoftpd is running and there are no PATH problems. I've killed the daemon, restarted, rebooted, etc. I've even tried replacing the tivoftpd, same problem... the startup script starts it and that's about it.

When I try to ftp to the box, I DO get connected and then it hangs. If I use FileZilla or something like that the error is:
Status: Connected with 192.168.39.116. Waiting for welcome message...
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Unable to connect!

dos box hangs also.
I:\>ftp 192.168.39.116
Connected to 192.168.39.116. (here is where it hangs for a few minutes then dumps)
Connection closed by remote host.

I've tried to connect from several different machines.

I noticed that every time I try to connect, another instance of the daemon starts.
I've checked permissions, but it appears to be permissions related problem.
/etc/passwd - root:x:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
and /etc/group - root:x:0:

It has a "Receiver ID" which makes it a RID model, right? Damn Nubies.
Do you think it could be a swap issue?

I don't have another spare drive, and may have to "Bite the bullet" and start over.... Any and all suggestions appreciated.

r6danl
07-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I am hacking a Hughes SD-DVR80. OK I got all the files except the instantcake. when I click on "InstantCake for Series 2 Standalone Units" it gives me a drop down box to pick which model I am using. What do I pick? Does it matter? Any one with v4.0.1b-02 next to it? Please help this is the last thing I need to get started. Thank you!!

r6danl
07-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Im such a dumbass nevermind. LOL.

J-monti
08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I wanted to share my thoughts on this guide, and maybe help other noobs (like me) with their own upgrades.

If not for the "weethet 4.x" guide, I wouldn't have a hacked SD-DVR40-RID right now. It would have taken me another month or two of reading posts and trial and error.(which wouldn't have been a bad thing!) That said, I now understand why some here on the forums have a dislike for step by step guides like this. Here is why: IMHO

#1 blindly following step after step without researching what you are doing leaves you with no foundation to stand on for more advanced hacks. I ran into this when I started to read up on keeping my tivo from scrambling the recordings. Because I had just followed the guide, I didnt know that the "super-patch" does it for. PSSST...it does that for you.

#2 speaking of advanced hacks, I would hope everyone thinking about doing these hacks read up on basic linux commands. ( I know this is said all over the forum, but it cant be said too much) I dual boot linux and windows, so I knew what the commands where doing. Trust me, it will help you in the long run to understand WHY hda is NOT hdc, why hda1 is NOT hda10.

#3 If you plan on installing mfs_ftp (no the mfs_tools weethet installs does not contain mfs_ftp) I have some tips. If you have a S2, you need to replace a few files in the mfs_ftp folder you download before you transfer it to your tivo. You will be downloading and installing a free FTP program to send that file to the "hacks" folder weethet has you make (you did make it right?). Here's what I did: I downloaded the 3 files S2 users need. unzipped and untared the main mfs_ftp file using 7-ZIP. I put the folder(mfs_ftp) on my desktop. I then unzipped the other two files and dragged the files contained in them into the main folder. I clicked "yes" when windows asked if I wanted to replace the files. That gives you your S2-mfs_ftp folder. You will need to have a folder called "mfs_ftp" inside the "hacks" folder on your tivo. Use PuTTY to make it. Remember that "mkdir" command? ;) I then used smartFTP to transfer the folder from my desktop inside the "mfs_ftp" folder I made. dont forget to chmod the files. I hope everyone also reads the threads dealing with mfs_ftp in detail.

#4 If after getting mfs_ftp installed you may want TyTool, please read up on the patch needed for "nowshowing" or it will give you a TimeZone error.

It looks like 4.x is old news at this point. 6.2 seems to be where its at, so maybe no one will need this help anyway :rolleyes: but you never know I guess.

I want to thank the maker of weethet 4.x and give BIGTIME props to the great guys/gals? that wrote the scripts and patches for hacking my Tivo. This has been a great few days! I will now sleep for a year................. :D

P.S. your local channels come back overnight.

bussdss2006
09-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Hello. I am a noob to all of this Tivo "hacking" and to linux, but am learning alot by following Weethet's guide...not sleeper..4.x. So far i have the hacked hdd in the tivo and recieve chanels and such, i can also telnet into the dvr, but when i go to phone and network setup, it wants me to update numbers, when i let it it fails at "negotiating". So i cannot setup static ips or test my other network adapter (which is wireless)

My DVR is a DSR708 DTIVO. I upgraded the 80gb to 120gb and followed the guide explicitly. when i remove my usb-ethernet adapter it fails at dialing...

I saw somewhere that the route and host commands can cause problems, but im a noob and followed the guide. any ideas or questions please reply, email me at joshbuss@gmail.com, or AIM me at "joshbuss2006"

PlainBill
09-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Hello. I am a noob to all of this Tivo "hacking" and to linux, but am learning alot by following Weethet's guide...not sleeper..4.x. So far i have the hacked hdd in the tivo and recieve chanels and such, i can also telnet into the dvr, but when i go to phone and network setup, it wants me to update numbers, when i let it it fails at "negotiating". So i cannot setup static ips or test my other network adapter (which is wireless)

My DVR is a DSR708 DTIVO. I upgraded the 80gb to 120gb and followed the guide explicitly. when i remove my usb-ethernet adapter it fails at dialing...

I saw somewhere that the route and host commands can cause problems, but im a noob and followed the guide. any ideas or questions please reply, email me at joshbuss@gmail.com, or AIM me at "joshbuss2006"
This is a known problem..You have three possible approaches. If you fakecall.tcl (from AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries) and reboot the system, it MIGHT be possible to get by the phone call stage.

The second approach is to start over and complete the setup (including a phone call) BEFORE hacking the system.

IMHO, the best solution is to skip 4.0.1 and go directly to 6.2. The improved UI alone makes it worthwhile.

PlainBill

bussdss2006
09-16-2005, 06:46 AM
i already purchasede a image from ptvupdgrade for 4.x, so 6.2 is a no go for me...maybe in future...i have tried rebooting the sytem with no luck...the initial call befor i hack? with origional TIVO hdd, or right after i load the image from ptvupgrade on new hdd?

PlainBill
09-16-2005, 10:48 AM
i already purchasede a image from ptvupdgrade for 4.x, so 6.2 is a no go for me...maybe in future...i have tried rebooting the sytem with no luck...the initial call befor i hack? with origional TIVO hdd, or right after i load the image from ptvupgrade on new hdd?
I suggest you start here. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37058) Others have reported that by running fakecall.tcl and rebooting they can avoid the phone setup, not sure why you're having a problem.

Just because you spent $20 for 4.0.1 doesn't change the fact that 6.2 is free and is a superior software version.

PlainBill

bussdss2006
09-17-2005, 11:10 AM
well thx to your replied i rehacked my tivo, and it all worked perferct, so i wen on trying the USB2.0 hack and lost my telnet connection. so i started over again and now when i restore my tivo image i get "mount: mount point /tivo does not exist" i have tried multiple time with same problem. any idea's??

darrin75
09-17-2005, 11:24 AM
You have to create the mount point..

mkdir /tivo

bussdss2006
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
SH*T!!! i am stupid...sry for the post....and thx for your help

eclipsme
10-08-2005, 10:35 AM
sorry... newbe, you know. I found other answers to read for now, so please ignore.

Thanks,
Harvey