PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My Series I Tivo will NOT FTP

gorw2
04-03-2005, 12:16 AM
:confused:

I have a Phillips Series I Standalone Tivo that I have successfully upgraded with a 120GB HDD and TurboNet card.

I was able to install telnet and get it working just fine, howvere not matter what method I try for file downloads it just doesn't work. I've tried tivoftpd, mfs_ftp, and TyTools -- all fail. Symptoms of each below:

tivoftpd - when I try to run the daemon, it runs and immediately exits, no error messgae is ever displayed.

mfs_ftp - the server runs, and accepts an incoming soket connection, however it never lets the client get to an initialized state -- the client will eventually disconnect with a connection closed error.

TyTools - the server runs, and I can get the NowShowing listing, however when it tries to download any program part, the binary download fails. No error message generated on the Tivo side.

I should mention that I have tried several FTP clients including Cute-FTP, WS-FTP and plain old command line FTP from both Windows XP and Sun Solaris.

I hope someone can please help as right now Ihave about 40 episodes to extract so I can get them off the Tivo and doing it manually via mfs_export is taking forever!

Thanks!

gorw2
04-03-2005, 01:09 AM
Here is the output from TyTools....

Client I see:

Name = 'c:\DTivo\Third Watch-The -L- Word'
fsIDs = '2556402/2556404'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.111'
Connected...
Data socket connect failed!

Server I see:

Waiting for an incoming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.1.11 2118 2556402/2556404'
ERROR: Could not connect the socket!
ERROR: Could not connect to client to send data!

fixn278
04-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Do you have a firewall running on your PC?

eastwind
04-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Here is the output from TyTools....

Client I see:

Name = 'c:\DTivo\Third Watch-The -L- Word'
fsIDs = '2556402/2556404'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.111'
Connected...
Data socket connect failed!

Server I see:

Waiting for an incoming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.1.11 2118 2556402/2556404'
ERROR: Could not connect the socket!
ERROR: Could not connect to client to send data!
Have you tried single socket mode? Might work with your network setup better (looks like a router problem, address conflict, or firewall issue).

ew

gorw2
04-03-2005, 03:48 PM
I thought this must be the case as well, but everything looks good on the network side. Both the Tivo and the PC are plugged directly into a 10baseT hub. There is no switch or router between them. Changing ports on the hub makes no difference.

The firewall on the PC allows all outbound connections on any port -- I can FTP to other machines on my network and to my UNIX box.

I run into the same issues when I try to FTP from the UNIX box to the Tivo as well -- the UNIX machine has no firewall software at all and is plugged into the same hub.

The fact that tivoftpd runs and immediately terminates indicates to me some sort of software problem -- either some Linux configuration problem or possibly a firmware issue?

Moderator -- this problem was moved to the "Newbie" section, but this seems to me to not be a newbie issue -- can it be moved to a more appropriate forum perhaps?

gorw2
04-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Oh by the way, I did try single socket mode in TyTools and it did not work at all.

PortlandPaw
04-03-2005, 03:53 PM
How are you starting tivoftpd and mfs_ftp? Are you putting the "&" at the end to keep it running in the background?

eastwind
04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
The fact that tivoftpd runs and immediately terminates indicates to me some sort of software problem -- either some Linux configuration problem or possibly a firmware issue?

The 'd' at the end of tivoftpd means daemon. It's supposed to be a background task. ps ax | grep ftp will show whether it's running or not. The output from tserver tells you it's trying to make a connection to 192.168.1.11 on port (or is it socket?) 2118 and that it is unable to. If the address is correct, this usually means that you have a firewall running that is preventing the incoming connection on the PC side. If you have a firewall up, take it down and re-test. If it works without the firewall, you've found your problem.

ew

gorw2
04-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I guess I should add that I'm a trained Solaris and HP-UX system admin, so yes, I tried running the ftp daemon as a background process. Let me also add that there is no firewall issue, because there is no firewall between either of the machines communicating with it.

The tivoftp daemon terminates about 3 seconds after it is started. I see the message that the process has completed and 'ps' verifies that it has terminated.

Mfs_ftp on the other hand starts and uns, and accepts the initial socket connection, however never seems to establish the data channel. As most of you probably know, FTP requires two socket connections, one for the commands and one that the data is actually sent on.

Tserver (for TyTools) runs and I can get the Now Showing listing ok. It will not transfer any data files without generating the errors in the previous post.

This was originally a 20 hr Series I Tivo, is there perhaps some problem with the Linux OS loaded on it ?

gorw2
04-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I was able to solve the TyTools issue by re-installing everything yet again. That works fine now.

tivoftpd and mfs_ftp still don't work and is a big mystery to me. :confused:

But since the issue was simply getting the files off my Tivo, I guess you could call this one case closed :)

Thanks fo the input!