PDA

View Full Version : Activation First? or Upgrade? 4.x

bLemert
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi, new to the forum. Quick question. I should be receiving my new DVR80's tomorrow... I am an existing customer, and as soon as I receive them I will be doing the 4.x firmware install. (Taking existing drives out and storing them in a safe place) and installing brand new drives with the 4.x image. My question is, Do I plug in the receivers and activate them first or can I do the upgrade and then call Directv and activate the receivers. I have Vonage, and question weather the first call will actually work or not. If anyone can help please either reply or PM me Thanks!!

BL

jayazusa
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I was a vonage customer and was never able to get the call to go thru. I followed several threads on it and could never make the daily call thru a phone line. As long as the boxes are provisioned on your account you should be able to utilize the dailycall to get aroung the phone line.

Just my experance talking,

Jay

bLemert
04-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks, and your right about the daily call, but do I need to activate them first, that's the real question.

bL

ronrico51
04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Not sure about your model, but I just did a dsr7000 and an hdvr2. I activated them unhacked, not sure if the mothership can tell they are hacked or not, but why risk it. After activation, I put a 4.01 image on them, did a clear and delete everything, now all is well. About the phone call, I did have a phone line hooked up during activation, but have not since. Just tell them you do have a phone line hooked up, might work. Once you are activated, apply your hacks. Worked for me.

Rick

cheer
04-05-2005, 07:31 AM
I too just hacked an SD-DVR40, and I activated it first. I think it makes sense to activate first, because it validates the hardware/card/etc.

Just as I always make sure a PC is in proper working order before I add crap to it, I figured best to make sure my receiver was working before I hacked it.

--chris

captain_video
04-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I'd recommend activating the receiver first just so you can make sure the receivers are functioning properly. If you hack it first and then find out the hardware's faulty you've already voided your warranty.

I'm sure there are lots of posts about using Vonage or other VOIP services with a Tivo but you may want to see about taking it to a friend's house and make the initial calls from there.

If you plan on upgrading the unit to 4.x I'd suggest doing the initial calls following the Clear & Delete Everything portion of the installation. After you've made the calls successfully and checked the DTivo to make sure everything works as it should (less the HMO features, of course), make a backup image of the DTivo drive at that point. That way if the final hack installation goes bad you don't have to start over from scratch or need to make the initial calls again either.

bLemert
04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will activate them both first. I have built both of the disks that I need according to WeetHeet's guide, really makes sense to me. I do question the need for an extra drive, since I will be starting with fresh out the box drives, I guess I'll skip that step, unless someone thinks I absolutely need that "extra drive". I also screwed up and downloaded a DirecTV Series 2 ISO, and after getting to that step in the guide realized I need a SA Series 2 ISO, that is correct right? It was much smaller, and I just wasted $20 bucks but all well that's what I get for jumping ahead!!! I'm assuming the DirecTivo code is in the SA image. I D/L's the 240080 image, I am baking a 160gb with the LBA48 support (according to the guide) I am also assuming it'll work for that too without a hitch?!

bL

I'd recommend activating the receiver first just so you can make sure the receivers are functioning properly. If you hack it first and then find out the hardware's faulty you've already voided your warranty.

I'm sure there are lots of posts about using Vonage or other VOIP services with a Tivo but you may want to see about taking it to a friend's house and make the initial calls from there.

If you plan on upgrading the unit to 4.x I'd suggest doing the initial calls following the Clear & Delete Everything portion of the installation. After you've made the calls successfully and checked the DTivo to make sure everything works as it should (less the HMO features, of course), make a backup image of the DTivo drive at that point. That way if the final hack installation goes bad you don't have to start over from scratch or need to make the initial calls again either.