PDA

View Full Version : Tytools and IP port(s)

philg
04-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Apologies for dual posting, but I only saw this forum (which I think is the right place for my question) after I'd already posted it once :(

I'd like to be able to use Tytools to "extract" from my Tivo from out in the www world. To do this, I need to know:

1. Which port(s) TyTools is using so that I can define port forwarding rules on my router?
2. If TyTools uses a default (and hence well known) port, is it possible to change to a user-defined (and hence secret) port?

Thanks

Phil G

clr2cont
04-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Im am looking to do the same..I also would like ot do it through a secure putty connection. I had read somewhere that tytools uses port 3565. But that hasent seemed to work for me. So if any one else knows hte ports for sure.

Thanks

clr2cont
04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I just opened a larger port range (3500-3600) and was able to connect with ty client. If I use the single option in >options>networking , it begins the download but @ .04 mbs...very slow. still working on it.

philg
04-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Well,

I now have ports 3500 to 3600 forwarded from my Internet router/gateway through to Tivo, but TyTools still won't connect (I am just putting my external IP address with no :port suffix in the Tivo Address box (I assume that is what I should be doing??)

This port forwarding lark works fine for TivoWeb so I think I have the configuration knowledge!!

philg
04-15-2005, 09:58 AM
So NOBODY is access TyTools across the internet and knows wiich ports it uses???

Ah well, back to the drawing board :(

The Only Druid
04-15-2005, 10:40 AM
So NOBODY is access TyTools across the internet and knows wiich ports it uses???

Ah well, back to the drawing board :(
Did you search? I remember a discussion about this from many months ago.

Incidentally, I don't think its too wise to leave your tivo open to the internet like that. You're basically leaving a running linux box w/ net access and no protection. That said, it's your gear.

cheer
04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Incidentally, I don't think its too wise to leave your tivo open to the internet like that. You're basically leaving a running linux box w/ net access and no protection. That said, it's your gear.

Not only that, but Tivos aren't very resilient either. I've seen older ones roll over from a simple port scan.

I'm monkeying around with a "proxy" front end, so that I can connect to a web server that will "proxy" me to the Tivos in the house. Some kind of web interface thingy so I can manage multiple units. Have some ideas on how to integrate things like TyTool into it, but it's just on paper for now.

--chris

psxboy
04-15-2005, 12:36 PM
SOME of us have access to TyTools across the internet and know which port it uses... In fact it uses port 3565 by default, as stated in a previous post above.

Unless you're connecting to the Tivo from a PC with a public IP, you have to use the Options -> Networking -> Single Socket (old) mode to connect. Otherwise, it acts like a non-passive FTP transfer... you supply the FSIDs you want and your IP to tserver on the "control" channel and it opens a new connection to your supplied IP to do the transfer. If the PC you're using is behind a natted firewall, it won't be able to find the (private) IP you supplied.

In my case, I create an SSH tunnel to my Tivo's port 3565, fire up TyTool and point it to 127.0.0.1 which forwards the connection through the tunnel to my Tivo. With Single Socket mode, I can extract shows but it takes forever to push the data through my internet connection at home. (0.04 MBs) If you try it with Double Socket mode and watch the tserver output, you'll see that the TyTool client supplies your PC's IP address along with the list of FSIDs to export, and then you'll see tserver fail to connect to the IP that was supplied (assuming the PC you're using doesn't have a public IP).

Also, from what I can tell, you can't supply a port for tserver to use other than the default 3565. Although, if you're not going the (more secure) ssh tunnel route, you could forward any arbitrary port from your firewall/router to your Tivo's port 3565 in order to "hide" it more. But like TOD and cheer have stated, I wouldn't suggest opening the Tivo to the outside world at all.

-psxboy

mike0151
04-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Last time I needed to do this, I took the easy option - remote login to one of the pcs on the network which also has an FTP server running. I extracted the TY file, moved it to the appropriate ftp location and then downloaded it and edited it locally.

philg
09-27-2005, 10:44 AM
OK

I temporarily open port 3565 through my firewall

I can now get the "Now Showing" list from my Tivo OK

I have changed to single port mode

However, when I try and download a show, it's not just SLOW, it doesn't seem to be doing ANYTHING ( I don't even get the bytes transferred count that I see when I am TyTooling locally).

In the message window, I see
Name = 'c:\tivo\Manual- The Simpsons-The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show'
fsIDs = '2861104'
Tivo Address = '80.176.85.135'
Connected...
cmd => 'TYSTREAM 2861104'

AHHHH

Sorry - whilst I have been typing this it has DONE SOMETHING

It now says it will has "20:19:44" reemaining

Could someone please explain (simply) how I get the dual port transfer working????

Thanks all

eastwind
09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Try putting the TiVo in the DMZ. Or just use RealVNC or something like it to access the TiVo from your own network, then ftp the file after it extracts.

ew

philg
09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Adding Tivo to the DMZ made no difference

Also, apart from Tivo, there is NO network at home when I am travelling!