PDA

View Full Version : Port change on vserver

deneb
04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Is there a way to run vserver on a port other than 8074? I've looked for the answer on multiple forums and many a read-me file, but got nothing...

I'm testing connection to my tivo from behind a firewall that seems to block 8074. I have no problem connecting to my tivo via port 80 (tivowebplus) and 21 (tivoftp) but when I try to stream from vserver, no can do. I'm assuming it's the port because I've had success with vserver in other configurations...

Maybe it's a bandwidth issue... When streaming via vserver and passing the stream to a tyshow-enabled windows media player, what happens if the bandwidth is too narrow?

Thanks in advance for your help...

dewalt
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I dont know if anyone has done this, but you would have to recompile vserver. The port is hardcoded in mfs.h. It's jsut a variable - VSERVER_PORT.

deneb
04-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Okay. I thought that might be the case. I might try it out, and post my results. Thanks for the tip.

Thinkdiff
04-20-2005, 04:25 PM
try opening the same port to one of your computers and run a HTTP server on that port. See if you can connect.

dewalt
04-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Is the firewall managed by you? Is that port even open?

deneb
04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
No, the firewall isn't managed by me. At home where I can control everything, including ports, everything works fine. But what I'm doing now is I'm trying to set up remote access from different locations (just to see if it works). And in this particular locaton, I don't have the option to adjust the firewall. I'm working on recompiling vserver with a new port - we'll see...

Thanks for the help!

cheer
04-20-2005, 11:20 PM
No, the firewall isn't managed by me. At home where I can control everything, including ports, everything works fine. But what I'm doing now is I'm trying to set up remote access from different locations (just to see if it works). And in this particular locaton, I don't have the option to adjust the firewall. I'm working on recompiling vserver with a new port - we'll see...
I wouldn't hold out much hope. It's unlikely the firewall has ports just open. Where I work, even 80 isn't open per se; it's proxied. 21 (and I'm guessing 20) IS open; I can ftp out without any kind of proxy or firewall config on my client. (I can get AIM to connect on port 21, which is handy.) But even that's unusual. My last employer had a socks firewall -- and that's actually good because you can get a socksified winsock so that everything works. Prior to that, everything was proxies, so ONLY web, ftp, etc. worked and ONLY if you used a client that supported proxies.

YMMV.

--chris