PDA

View Full Version : TyStreamer 2.0 beta 1 - VLC edition

stealthdave
05-07-2005, 03:16 PM
For the history on TyStreamer, see here (http://www.wiskars.com/tystreamer), here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41920&highlight=tystreamer), and here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41005&highlight=tystreamer).

UPDATE! - TyStreamer 2.0 FINAL is officially released! Changes include:

simpler to kill streaming, better stream detection
audio issues with WMP fixed (thanks to tmembrino)
stream-size drop-down fixed
minor usability updates

Please note that due to issues with the Mac OS X build of VLC, OS X is currently not supported. We hope to fix this issue with a special build of VLC for the Mac, but this is still in development.

--
Time for a new beta! This time, it's based on tx413's extremely versatile VLC modules (http://tivo-vlc.sourceforge.net) for the VideoLAN project's VideoLAN Client (http://www.videolan.org). This has numerous advantages over the previous approaches that I've taken:

No funky patched MPlayer / MEncoder installations; just drop in the VLC modules!
Streaming and encoding is all done by VLC. This resolves all of the previous server incompatibility issues. TyStreamer should now work anywhere that PHP does!
No BASH shell requirements or temporary files required for stream control. This means fewer application and permission requirements.
Smaller code base to maintain
Should work with older PHP installations (4.2.0 and higher)
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER support!!!

And most importantly...it really works!!!

Yes, I've made this claim before, but this time it's true! I've tested on Windows and Linux servers with Windows, Mac, and Linux clients, and it works like a charm! There are a few kinks to work out, though. Hence the "beta" distinction:

No sound :( - yes, this is a big one, and I can't seem to figure out what's going on here. I get no sound when I try to stream MP3 audio with the video, regardless of the server. I can get sound using VLC client with MP2 audio (set acodec to mpga), but that really confuses WMP. This is probably the biggest hurdle to a non-beta release
Mac OS X as a server has permission issues. For some reason, Mac's Apache is not allowed to launch vlc. Don't know why, it's just not.

In addition to those bugs, there are also "features" that we'll all just have to live with :)

Streams start playing from beginning to end; no pausing, stopping, rewind or fast-forward. This is the price of WMP compatibility. Streams can be halted from the web interface, though.
"stopping" a stream involves killing all instances of vlc currently being run by the webserver user (i.e. "nobody", "apache", etc). This is probably not an issue unless you have other web applications that run vlc, or your webserver is run as *shudder* root (don't do it!)
When you play a stream, the page will continue to "load" even after all the data has been sent while vlc is running in the background. It may even timeout. This should not affect playback of the stream, but may be slightly annoying.

Setup is relatively simple: install vserver (http://tivo-mplayer.sf.net), VLC (http://videolan.org) and the TiVo VLC modules (http://tivo-vlc.sf.net) all on your server. If you're running a Windows server, you'll need pskill (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml) or some other utility to kill running applications for stream killing. Untar TyStreamer into your server folder, edit the tystreamer.ini file, and fire up that browser! Select either a VLC or WMP link (why they have to be different is beyond me; ask the VideoLAN team), and you're off! WMP should launch automatically, but if you chose VLC you may have to manually select a link or even copy the link manually into VLC. The solution to this is to register VLC for that mime-type.

That's it! Please test, comment, and post bug reports here!

osetivo
05-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Fantastic News! ;)

TheAvatar
06-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Any more updates on this project?
Maybe I've missed something in the other posts on VLC and the modules, but
This version of Tystreamer looked REALLY exciting to me, just wish it had sound.
There was like NO discussion when this came out... is there somethingelse that has thrumpted it?

I'm looking for soemthing I can run on my windows PC that will trasncode my Tivo programs for viewing over the internet. I'Ve used older versions of eTivo, but it would be great to have something that would work in real time

stealthdave
06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Any more updates on this project?
Maybe I've missed something in the other posts on VLC and the modules, but
This version of Tystreamer looked REALLY exciting to me, just wish it had sound.
There was like NO discussion when this came out... is there somethingelse that has thrumpted it?

I'm looking for soemthing I can run on my windows PC that will trasncode my Tivo programs for viewing over the internet. I'Ve used older versions of eTivo, but it would be great to have something that would work in real time
I was a little dissappointed when there was no discussion as well, but I think that one reason for that is... it works!!!

Aside from the mp3 audio, everything works. I've used it several times to watch Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" at work (because I need more distractions at work), and it works great. You need to use VLC as your client unless you can get the mp3 audio working, but aside from that, set up is simpler and it works as expected.

That's not to say that 2.0 is perfect; it's not. That's why I released a beta, hoping to get some feedback before an official release. So please, test the current release and report any issues. I'll try to make an official release soon.

- Stealth Dave

Ermax
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Great work! I was going to make my own PHP front end for my self but you did it first. :)

I got it working perfect using mpga with VLC as the client. I don't see why mp3 doesn't work. You can output to a file using the same settings and the audio plays fine. Just not when streaming. There must be a combo that works with WMP.

My biggest problem is the speed. The page takes about 1 - 1.5 mins to refresh. I was looking through the code but don't see where the hold up is.

Is anyone else experiencing this slow down.

vaporE
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I also have the slow load times. I'd say about 1 minute is average for my page load times.

However, I am running into an issue where my shows do not even appear in tystreamer. I can view my shows by running "mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist" on my windows xp command line. I then pick one to test with and use the command "mencoder -cache 16384 -oac copy -ovc copy -quiet -of mpeg -o - tivo://192.168.1.144/1382871" It seems to appear to work properly as I am hit with a bunch of ascii characters as it streams the video in my command window.

What am I overlooking? I realize that the above vlc error is more than likely the reason I can't see any shows in tystreamer. Am I just blind?

BTW, I have added the TiVo Modules (vlc-ty-win-r42.zip & vlc-vstream-win-r39.zip) and am able to stream properly in vlc. I just can't see them in tystreamer. Am I blind? Have I overlooked something?

stealthdave
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
I also have the slow load times. I'd say about 1 minute is average for my page load times.

However, I am running into an issue where my shows do not even appear in tystreamer. I can view my shows by running "mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist" on my windows xp command line. I then pick one to test with and use the command "mencoder -cache 16384 -oac copy -ovc copy -quiet -of mpeg -o - tivo://192.168.1.144/1382871" It seems to appear to work properly as I am hit with a bunch of ascii characters as it streams the video in my command window.

What am I overlooking? I realize that the above vlc error is more than likely the reason I can't see any shows in tystreamer. Am I just blind?

BTW, I have added the TiVo Modules (vlc-ty-win-r42.zip & vlc-vstream-win-r39.zip) and am able to stream properly in vlc. I just can't see them in tystreamer. Am I blind? Have I overlooked something?
Try getting a program list using vlc with the following command-line:

vlc -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.144/llist vlc:quit 2>&1
That's the command that TyStreamer uses to fetch the program list from TiVo. If there's a problem, it's most likely there.

As for the slow load times, I think I know what the issue is there, it was just never important enough to worry about. :) I'll see what I can do for the next release.

vaporE
06-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your help stealthdave.

Using:

I see VLC appear in the process list for about 4 seconds and then disappear. VLC does not popup and I do not receive any type of show list. If I instead do "vlc tivo://192.168.1.144/plist" I am hit with a full playlist of shows. I can then watch any of the shows in the list. Plist and llist are two different thingys but I thought that might show that some functionality is there.

stealthdave
06-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your help stealthdave.

Using:

I see VLC appear in the process list for about 4 seconds and then disappear. VLC does not popup and I do not receive any type of show list. If I instead do "vlc tivo://192.168.1.144/plist" I am hit with a full playlist of shows. I can then watch any of the shows in the list. Plist and llist are two different thingys but I thought that might show that some functionality is there.
That command should dump a program list to your terminal screen in much the same way that tivo-mplayer does. The "-I telnet" is there specifically to suppress the gui from popping up, since the web browser is only concerned with the command-line. This also allows TyStreamer to run in an environment without any graphical environment running (i.e., a Linux server without X11). If you run that from a command prompt, it should dump the program list to the terminal. If plist is working, then I don't see any reason why llist wouldn't.

vaporE
06-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I did not receive any output in my terminal window. I've probably got some 3rd party issue floating around.

No worries, stealthdave. I just thought it would be nice to stream my shows to work and your php is such a slick design. I'll continue to try on my own and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help!

stealthdave
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I did not receive any output in my terminal window. I've probably got some 3rd party issue floating around.

No worries, stealthdave. I just thought it would be nice to stream my shows to work and your php is such a slick design. I'll continue to try on my own and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help!
Any time. This seems like a pretty specific case, but there might be a workaround for you. Try running this command-line from a terminal:

vlc -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.144/123456 vlc:quit
Where 123456 is a valid program id. If the video plays, then you've only got a problem with the program list, and tystreamer should still work if we get our program list from someplace else, like the mencoder that we know does work. If the video does play, change line 230 in tystreamer.php from this:

$fetch_programs_shell = $tyini["vlc"] . " -I telnet tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist vlc:quit 2>&1 ";
to this:

$fetch_programs_shell = "/path/to/mencoder tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist 2>&1 ";
TyStreamer will then use mencoder to fetch the program list (which is mysteriously not working with vlc) and vlc for transcoding and streaming.

Let me know if that works.

vaporE
06-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Perhaps this might shed some light on the situation. I should've given this info right up front. (that'd be nice...) Anyway, I'm using a DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 killhdinitrd'd w/ v4 software.

When I run your suggested command

The show streams great into vlc. I then proceeded to change line 230 to read as per your suggestion. Even still the shows are not appearing in TyStreamer.

For what it's worth, here is what I receive when running mencoder.

D:\d\WebSite\Mencoder>mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist 2>&1
MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
|12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1386748|5|
|12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1392593|6|
|06/09/05|12:01|Embellish This!|All Dressed Up|1344952|2|
|06/24/05|03:00|Inhale|(null)|1378806|2|
|06/24/05|12:00|Jewelry Making|Romancing the Stone|1386896|2|
ty_streaming_start failed
Unable to open URL: tivo://192.168.1.144/llist
Cannot open file/device.
I think I've officially lost...

stealthdave
06-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Don't give up just yet. What version of PHP are you running?

Tigger09
06-28-2005, 12:56 AM
When I run your suggested command

The show streams great into vlc.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this? I'm having the same problem.

For what it's worth, here is what I receive when running mencoder.

D:\d\WebSite\Mencoder>mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist 2>&1
MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
|12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1386748|5|
|12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1392593|6|
|06/09/05|12:01|Embellish This!|All Dressed Up|1344952|2|
|06/24/05|03:00|Inhale|(null)|1378806|2|
|06/24/05|12:00|Jewelry Making|Romancing the Stone|1386896|2|
ty_streaming_start failed
Unable to open URL: tivo://192.168.1.144/llist
Cannot open file/device.

I'm gettnig the same type of out put and nothing in my now showing list. any one have any ideas?

Tigger09
06-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Using:

llist gets me nothing too but when I use plist I get an empty play list. I know the server is running, I can stream from mplayer using WinVO.

vaporE
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Don't give up just yet. What version of PHP are you running?
Sorry it took me so long. I was out of town last weekend. I'm using PHP v. 5.0.4. I'll try with 4.3.11 during this week and see if I get any better results.

vaporE
06-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I removed 5.0.4. and went with 4.3.11. Didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried to upgrade to latest VLC 0.8.2 and that didn't seem to be the deciding factor either.

stealthdave
06-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I removed 5.0.4. and went with 4.3.11. Didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried to upgrade to latest VLC 0.8.2 and that didn't seem to be the deciding factor either.
I was actually more concerned that you were using an older version of PHP, say in the 4.2 or lower range. TyStreamer should work with either of those versions.

My next question would be what OS are you running, and does your webserver have permission to execute the vlc binaries? Windows needs special permissions to execute, and I'm no expert on how to do that.

r6rider
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
hi! So I'm trying to connect from windows xp using vlc to a linux server running the tystreamer beta and can't get it to work. My tystream list is populated correctly and I can click on a link in the browser. I can't get it to play in vlc or wmp though. WMP says it can not connect to the server, and VLC messages show:

main warning: no access_demux module matched "mmsh"
main debug: creating access 'mmsh' path='<mytivo>:8090'
main debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
main debug: net: connecting to '<mytivo>:8090'
main debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
ipv4 debug: connection in progress
main debug: using network module "ipv4"
main debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
access_mms debug: HTTP reply 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK'
access_mms debug: stream type = broadcast
access_mms debug: complete header size=0
access_mms error: header size == 0
vcd debug: trying .cue file: <mytivo>.cue
access_file warning: cannot stat() file `<mytivo>:8090' (No such file or directory)
cdda debug: trying .cue file: <mytivo>.cue
cdda warning: could not open <mytivo>:8090
main warning: no access2 module matching "mmsh" could be loaded
main error: no suitable access module for `mmsh://<mytivo>:8090'
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.630907s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: thread 3536 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
main: nothing to play

when I try to use http://<my tivo address>:8090 in the browser I get asked if i want to open a file (which does not work) so I'm pretty sure it's not the server end that's hosed. Also I have a process running like:

apache 20393 20.6 3.7 150688 39192 ? Sl 16:25 1:58 vlc -vvv -I telnet --telnet-password changeme tivo://ti
vo/404025 :sout=#transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:st d{access=m
msh,mux=asfh,url=:8090} vlc:quit

and port 8090 is open on the server.

Any ideas? It feels like I'm really close...

Thanks,

Adam

stealthdave
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
hi! So I'm trying to connect from windows xp using vlc to a linux server running the tystreamer beta and can't get it to work.
<snip>
apache 20393 20.6 3.7 150688 39192 ? Sl 16:25 1:58 vlc -vvv -I telnet --telnet-password changeme tivo://ti
vo/404025 :sout=#transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:st d{access=m
msh,mux=asfh,url=:8090} vlc:quit

and port 8090 is open on the server.

Any ideas? It feels like I'm really close...

Thanks,

Adam
The problem is likely on the server end, although you've probably already figured that out. Try running the streaming command (the process that you list above) starting with "vlc -vvv..." and see if there are any errors.

r6rider
07-14-2005, 09:40 AM
ok...here's the output.

Thanks!

Adam

[adam@watford ~]$ vlc -vvv -I telnet --telnet-password changeme tivo://tivo/404025 :sout=#transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:st d{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8090} vlc:quit
VLC media player 0.8.2 Janus
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file /home/adam/.vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc debug: checking builtin modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: checking plugin modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file /home/adam/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `modules'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `/usr/lib/vlc'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 202 modules
[00000000] main root debug: VLC media player - version 0.8.2 Janus - (c) 1996-2005 VideoLAN
[00000000] main root debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure --build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --program-prefix= --enable-release --enable-dvdread --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-tree=ffmpeg-20050624 --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-aa --enable-caca --enable-esd --enable-arts --enable-alsa --enable-xosd --enable-lirc CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables build_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu target_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --no-create --no-recursion
[00000001] main vlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file /home/adam/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX 3DNow! MMXEXT SSE FPU
[00000001] main vlc debug: looking for memcpy module: 4 candidates
[00000010] main module debug: using memcpy module "memcpymmxext"
[00000254] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000254] main playlist debug: thread 3084581808 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:152)
[00000255] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000255] main private debug: thread 3074091952 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:174)
[00000256] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000179] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000256] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000256] main interface debug: thread 3063602096 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000254] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `vlc:quit' ( vlc:quit )
[00000254] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `durl=:8090' ( durl=:8090 )[00000254] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `dmux=asfh' ( dmux=asfh )
[00000254] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `daccess=mmsh' ( daccess=mmsh )
[00000254] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `tivo://tivo/404025' ( tivo://tivo/404025 )
[00000258] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 5 candidates
[00000258] main interface: creating vlm
[00000260] main vlm debug: thread 3053112240 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000258] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000258] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212'
[00000258] main interface debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000139] main module debug: using network module "ipv4"
[00000139] main module debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
[00000258] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000174] main module debug: using interface module "telnet"
[00000258] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000258] main interface debug: thread 3042622384 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)
[00000254] main playlist debug: creating new input thread
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodeacodec=MP3:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodevcodec=DIV3:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodeab=64:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodevb=256:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodewidth=320:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodeheight=240:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodedeinterlace:st
[00000262] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcodechannels=2:st
[00000262] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000263] main stream output debug: stream=`transcodechannels=2'
[00000264] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 0 candidates
[00000264] main private error: no sout stream module matched "transcodechannels=2"
[00000264] main private debug: destroying chain... (name=transcodechannels=2)
[00000264] main private debug: destroying chain done
[00000263] main stream output error: stream chained failed for `transcodechannels=2:st'
[00000262] main input error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting
[00000262] main input debug: thread 3032132528 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000262] main input debug: thread 3032132528 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000265] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000265] main input debug: `daccess=mmsh' gives access `' demux `' path `daccess=mmsh'
[00000265] main input debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='daccess=mmsh'
[00000266] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 2 candidates
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't stat daccess=mmsh
No such file or directory
libdvdnav: vm: faild to open/read the DVD
[00000266] dvdnav demuxer warning: cannot open dvdnav
[00000265] main input debug: creating access '' path='daccess=mmsh'
[00000269] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000269] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `daccess=mmsh' (No such file or directory)
[00000269] cdda access warning: could not open daccess=mmsh
[00000265] main input debug: creating access '' path='daccess=mmsh'
[00000275] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000275] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `daccess=mmsh' (No such file or directory)
[00000275] cdda access warning: could not open daccess=mmsh
[00000265] main input error: no suitable access module for `daccess=mmsh'
[00000265] main input debug: thread 3032132528 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000265] main input debug: thread 3032132528 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000276] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000276] main input debug: `dmux=asfh' gives access `' demux `' path `dmux=asfh'
[00000276] main input debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='dmux=asfh'[00000277] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 2 candidates
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't stat dmux=asfh
libdvdnav: vm: faild to open/read the DVD
[00000277] dvdnav demuxer warning: cannot open dvdnav
[00000276] main input debug: creating access '' path='dmux=asfh'
[00000278] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000278] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `dmux=asfh' (No such file or directory)
[00000278] cdda access warning: could not open dmux=asfh
[00000276] main input debug: creating access '' path='dmux=asfh'
[00000279] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000279] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `dmux=asfh' (No such file or directory)
[00000279] cdda access warning: could not open dmux=asfh
[00000276] main input error: no suitable access module for `dmux=asfh'
[00000276] main input debug: thread 3032132528 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000276] main input debug: thread 3032132528 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000280] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000280] main input debug: `durl=:8090' gives access `durl=' demux `' path `8090'
[00000280] main input debug: creating demux: access='durl=' demux='' path='8090'[00000281] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000281] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "durl="
[00000280] main input debug: creating access 'durl=' path='8090'
[00000282] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000282] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `8090' (No such file or directory)
[00000282] cdda access warning: could not open 8090
[00000282] main access warning: no access2 module matching "durl=" could be loaded
[00000280] main input error: no suitable access module for `durl=:8090'
[00000280] main input debug: thread 3032132528 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000280] main input debug: thread 3032132528 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000283] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000283] main input debug: thread 3032132528 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000283] main input debug: `vlc:quit' gives access `vlc' demux `' path `quit'
[00000283] main input debug: creating demux: access='vlc' demux='' path='quit'
[00000284] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000284] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "vlc"
[00000283] main input debug: creating access 'vlc' path='quit'
[00000285] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
[00000130] main module debug: using access2 module "dummy"
[00000294] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000294] main private debug: received first data for our buffer
[00000294] main private debug: prebuffering done 1408981 bytes in 0s - 150740 kbytes/s
[00000283] main input debug: creating demux: access='vlc' demux='vlc' path='quit'
[00000295] main demuxer debug: looking for demux2 module: 1 candidate
[00000295] dummy demuxer: command `quit'
[00000131] main module debug: using demux2 module "dummy"
[00000285] dummy access error: unimplemented query in control
[00000283] main input debug: `vlc:quit' successfully opened
[00000283] main input debug: EOF reached
[00000283] main input debug: closing input
[00000131] main module debug: unlocking module "dummy"
[00000130] main module debug: unlocking module "dummy"
[00000283] main input debug: thread 3032132528 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000254] main playlist: nothing to play
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all interfaces
[00000258] main interface debug: thread 3042622384 joined (src/interface/interface.c:238)
[00000260] main vlm debug: thread 3053112240 joined (src/misc/vlm.c:156)
[00000174] main module debug: unlocking module "telnet"
[00000256] main interface debug: thread 3063602096 joined (src/interface/interface.c:238)
[00000179] main module debug: unlocking module "hotkeys"
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all playlists
[00000255] main private debug: thread 3074091952 joined (src/playlist/playlist.c:206)
[00000254] main playlist debug: thread 3084581808 joined (src/playlist/playlist.c:207)
[00000254] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `tivo://tivo/404025'
[00000254] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `daccess=mmsh'
[00000254] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `dmux=asfh'
[00000254] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `durl=:8090'
[00000254] main playlist: stopping playback
[00000254] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `vlc:quit'
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all video outputs
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all audio outputs
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing announce handler
[00000010] main module debug: unlocking module "memcpymmxext"
[00000001] main vlc debug: saving plugins cache file /home/adam/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[adam@watford ~]$

r6rider
07-14-2005, 10:18 AM
I just noticed I can do mplayer tivo://tivo/filenum and it works fine, but when I try and do the same thing in vlc it opens a black video window and just sits there..I've installed the files from vlc-082-linux-r45.zip (vstream in /usr/lib/vlc/access, ty plugin in /usr/lib/vlc/demux).

r6rider
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Here's the output with vvv.

[adam@watford ~]$ vlc -vvv tivo://192.168.0.7/404205
<snip>
[00000278] vstream access debug: connected to host
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 0, file 436708, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 1, file 437019, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 2, file 437387, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 3, file 437390, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 4, file 437406, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 5, file 437435, chunks 4095, size 536739840
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 6, file 437452, chunks 1983, size 259915776
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): No More Part Files
[00000278] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): totalsize 3473801216
[00000036] main module debug: using access2 module "vstream"
[00000281] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000281] main private debug: received first data for our buffer
[00000281] main private debug: prebuffering done 163835 bytes in 1s - 133 kbytes/s
[00000276] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.0.7/404025'
[00000282] main demuxer debug: looking for demux2 module: 37 candidates
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: valid TY stream detected
[00000276] main input debug: selecting program id=0
[00000069] main module debug: using demux2 module "ty"
[00000314] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 21 candidates
[00000104] main module debug: using decoder module "libmpeg2"
[00000314] main decoder debug: thread 29539248 (decoder) created at priority 0 (src/input/decoder.c:159)
[00000276] main input debug: `tivo://192.168.0.7/404025' successfully opened
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #0
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: skipping TY PART Header
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #1
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: detected MPEG Audio
[00000316] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 21 candidates
[00000092] main module debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio"
[00000316] main decoder debug: thread 46033840 (decoder) created at priority 0 (src/input/decoder.c:159)
[00000316] mpeg_audio decoder debug: emulated startcode
[00000316] mpeg_audio decoder debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
..lots of this...
[00000316] mpeg_audio decoder debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #2
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #3
[00000314] libmpeg2 decoder debug: 480x480, aspect 576000, 29.971 fps
[00000314] main decoder debug: no usable vout present, spawning one
[00000324] main video output debug: looking for video output module: 8 candidates
[00000316] message decoder warning: message queue overflowed
[00000325] main private debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 2
[00000325] main private debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 3
[00000325] main private debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 4
[00000325] main private debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 5
[00000324] xvideo video output debug: adaptor 0, port 240, format 0x32315659 (YV12) planar
[00000324] xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports NetWM
[00000324] xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
[00000324] xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
[00000324] xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
[00000213] main module debug: using video output module "xvideo"
[00000324] main video output debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000324] main video output debug: got 8 direct buffer(s)
[00000324] main video output debug: picture in 480x480 (0,0,480x480), chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
[00000324] main video output debug: picture user 480x480 (0,0,480x480), chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
[00000324] main video output debug: picture out 480x480, chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
[00000324] main video output debug: direct render, mapping render pictures 0-6 to system pictures 1-7
[00000324] main video output debug: thread 70233008 (video output) created at priority 0 (src/video_output/video_output.c:466)
[00000314] libmpeg2 decoder warning: invalid picture encountered
[00000324] main video output warning: late picture skipped (1121351329989227)
[00000324] main video output warning: late picture skipped (1121351329989277)
[00000324] main video output warning: late picture skipped (1121351329989286)
[00000282] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #4

and so on...

r6rider
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
OK I got it working. I had to recompile the ty plugin for 0.8.2 from source. It's not perfect though it seems to stop sometimes and I have to hit play again. Any idea why this would happen?

Thanks!

Adam

r6rider
07-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I can't get sound to work even with mpga codec. In vlc client I get errors like: asf warning: undeclared stream[Id 0x2] and it does not show any video.

If i play the stream in wmp it plays the audio.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Adam

r6rider
07-15-2005, 11:45 AM
OK now I have mp4v video and mp3 audio working. I had to build ty and vstream libraries from source. I used the latest vlc source from the svn repository.

Thanks,

Adam

seanfear
07-30-2005, 12:29 PM
StealthDave, is the mac server a "never going to happen" issue or fixable at some point? I'd like to try this new set up out, but we're all mac here...

stealthdave
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
StealthDave, is the mac server a "never going to happen" issue or fixable at some point? I'd like to try this new set up out, but we're all mac here...
It'll probably happen eventually, as I'm slowly moving to a mac-only environment (currently mac/linux). There are two things you can try:

- Compiling VLC from source. You'll probably need support files from Fink or DarwinPorts. Should also fix the mp3 audio issue. (mp3 audio transcode support does not seem to be turned on in the default builds.)
- Changing permissions on the VLC.app folder. Assuming that your VLC.app is in /Applications:

$ chmod -R a+rx /Applications/VLC.app/*

I haven't tested this, but it should work. Let me know if you have favorable results.

cozspe
09-07-2005, 05:07 PM
SD, any updates lately? I seem to be having exact same probs as the above posters (nothing in my no showing list, but able to stream using vlc).

thanks!

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this? I'm having the same problem.

I'm gettnig the same type of out put and nothing in my now showing list. any one have any ideas?

stealthdave
09-07-2005, 05:20 PM
SD, any updates lately? I seem to be having exact same probs as the above posters (nothing in my no showing list, but able to stream using vlc).

thanks!
Do you have the latest vlc plugins? Some of the early ones had issues. Aside from that, I need to know more about your setup and details about what's happening before I can try and help.

cozspe
09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
thanks for the quick reply. i do have the latest plugins. I'm running XP SP2. I've tried running both an apache/php4 basic setup and an xampp apache/php5 setup...both gave me the same probs...that is, i can't view the now playing list via the tystreamer.php page. Also, the command "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//llist" does not work for me; however, "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//plist" does. I'm also able to stream video using vlc and the fsid of a stream on my tivo.

I noticed the stream port in the .ini file defaults to 8090...however, my vserver is listening on 8074...this may be a dumb question, but that means I should change the .ini file port to 8074, right?

Also, in the .ini file, should the file references be like "c:\vlc" or like "/cygdrive/c/vlc" ??

I had the same prob w/ the now playing list on the previous versions of tystreamer as well. I'm sure this is an I-D-10-t error on my part....please help!!!

thanks!

stealthdave
09-08-2005, 03:54 PM
thanks for the quick reply. i do have the latest plugins. I'm running XP SP2. I've tried running both an apache/php4 basic setup and an xampp apache/php5 setup...both gave me the same probs...that is, i can't view the now playing list via the tystreamer.php page. Also, the command "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//llist" does not work for me; however, "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//plist" does. I'm also able to stream video using vlc and the fsid of a stream on my tivo.

I noticed the stream port in the .ini file defaults to 8090...however, my vserver is listening on 8074...this may be a dumb question, but that means I should change the .ini file port to 8074, right?

Also, in the .ini file, should the file references be like "c:\vlc" or like "/cygdrive/c/vlc" ??

I had the same prob w/ the now playing list on the previous versions of tystreamer as well. I'm sure this is an I-D-10-t error on my part....please help!!!

thanks!
The stream port refers to the port that VLC uses to stream video, and doesn't have anything to do with vstream's port, so you should be fine there. I'm more concerned that you're not getting listings with tivo://tivo/llist. I did notice that you have to forward-slashes ( // ) before the llist. Try just one. Also, what version of vserver are you running? Make sure that you have the latest vserver from http://tivo-mplayer.sf.net. That version is known to work.

GrimSage
09-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi. Just wanted to say great work. Now the only questions I have are.
1.) How can I get WMP to get sound
2.) anything to do about the slow load times?

I really look forward to getting this to work. Again great work.

cozspe
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
WOW! I'm an *****. After posting the below...i realized I hadn't switched around the comment marks for the link to vlc and the kill command (since I'm running my apache server in windoze). All is wel now <slaps self with wet noodle>.

SD, I think I've narrowed the problem to my version of vserver as you have suggested. However, I cannot get the vserver binary from the link you provided to launch on my Tivo. I did a binary FTP xfer..and chmod 777 on the file...but still get the error message "bash: ./vserver: cannot execute binary file". I found this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114379&highlight=mips+vserver) and downloaded and installed the attached vserver file, but still had the same problems. I did notice that that thread was dated 2003. Could you attach a .zip containing the most current vserver file? I don't have the cross-compiler installed and therefore cannot create the file from source myself. Thanks again!

Here's my tystreamer.ini file:
;; TyStreamer -- Copyright (c) 2003-2005 Still Designing, LLC
;; Author: David E. Still <stealthdave@stilldesigning.com>
;; Licenced under the GNU General Public License, version 2
;; Name: tystreamer.ini
;; Description: Streams TiVo programs from the TiVo to a
;; web browser or other web-enabled device
;; or program through an intermediary server
;; which reduces the size of the program
;; stream, which enables the program to be
;; viewed over slower network connections in
;; real-time.
;; Version: 2.0
;; Created: 12/02/2003
;; Last Updated: 05/05/2005

[setup]
;; User Editable Settings
testmode = 0 ;; set to "0" for normal operation
;;testmode = 1 ;; set to "1" for program list from TiVo, but stream a local test file
;;testmode = 2 ;; set to "2" for test program list and local test stream
;;testmode = 3 ;; set to "3" to view streaming command-line (no streaming)
testfile = "test.ty"
tivo = "192.168.1.114"
stream_port = 8090
password = "password" ;; CHANGE THIS PASSWORD!!!

;; Log Files
use_logging = 1
log_file = "tystreamer.log"
streamcheck = "tystreamer.pid"

;; Support Program Paths
vlc = vlc ;; generic *NIX, etc
;;vlc = "/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/clivlc" ;; Mac OS X
;;vlc = "C:\xampp\xampplite\htdocs\vlc-0.8.2\vlc.exe" ;; Windows

kill = "killall -9 vlc" ;; *NIX, Mac OS X
;;kill = "C:\xampp\xampplite\htdocs\tystreamer\pskill vlc" ;; Windows
;;kill = "/cygwin/bin/killall -9 vlc" ;; cygwin kill command

;; Encoder Options
[stream1]
title = "Low - 128k"
width = 320
height = 240
videobr = 96
audiobr = 32
vcodec = "DIV3"
acodec = "MP3"
other = "deinterlace"

[stream2]
title = "Med - 256k"
width = 320
height = 240
videobr = 192
audiobr = 64
vcodec = "DIV3"
acodec = "MP3"

[stream3]
title = "High - 512k"
width = 640
height = 480
videobr = 384
audiobr = 128
vcodec = "DIV3"
acodec = "MP3"

stealthdave
09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi. Just wanted to say great work. Now the only questions I have are.
1.) How can I get WMP to get sound
2.) anything to do about the slow load times?

I really look forward to getting this to work. Again great work.
1.) Set "acodec" to "MP3" in the ini file. Not all binaries of VLC include MP3 encoding modules, however. You'll need to find one that does or compile from source.
2.) Fix it and submit a patch. :) Unfortunately, it's not something that can be completely fixed, but it can be improved. The slow load times are a result of the web server waiting for VLC to finish getting the list from the TiVo and then displaying the list. One could have the script process the output line-by-line as it recieves it from VLC, but it's a little more complicated and getting it working was the main priority. This would make it seem faster, but would ultimately take the same amount of time to completely load. In theory, you could use sockets to directly query vserver from the PHP script. That would take a quite a bit of effort, but would definitely improve the load times significantly. At the moment, my time is very limited as to how much I can spend on spare projects like this, which is why I haven't made these changes yet.

GrimSage
09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
how do I tell if I have that module?
I am on windows and used the windows binaries from the vlc site.
It looks like it is using the ffmpeg but I cant get sound.
here is the log if that helps...

[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc warning: config file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc does not exist yet
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\modules'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins'
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc warning: config file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc does not exist yet
[00000000] main root debug: VLC media player - version 0.8.2 Janus - (c) 1996-2005 VideoLAN
[00000000] main root debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc --build=i386-linux --disable-sdl --disable-gtk --disable-dts --enable-nls --enable-skins2 --enable-gnutls --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-twolame --enable-dvdread --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-sdk-path=/usr/win32/gecko-sdk --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\modules'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins'
[00000001] main vlc debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX MMXEXT FPU
[00000001] main vlc debug: looking for memcpy module: 3 candidates
[00000262] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000262] main playlist debug: thread 700 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:152)
[00000263] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000263] main private debug: thread 684 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:174)
[00000264] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000115] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000264] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000264] main interface debug: thread 660 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000262] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `vlc:quit' ( vlc:quit )
[00000262] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `tivo://192.168.1.143/57655' ( tivo://192.168.1.143/57655 )
[00000266] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 4 candidates
[00000266] main interface: creating vlm
[00000268] main vlm debug: thread 616 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000266] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000266] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212'
[00000266] main interface debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000124] main module debug: using network module "ipv4"
[00000124] main module debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
[00000266] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000222] main module debug: using interface module "telnet"
[00000266] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000266] main interface debug: thread 580 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)
[00000262] main playlist debug: creating new input thread
[00000270] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:std{acce ss=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8090}
[00000270] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000270] main input debug: thread 556 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000271] main stream output debug: stream=`transcode'
[00000272] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000271] main stream output debug: stream=`std'
[00000275] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-access to mmsh
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-mux to asfh
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-url to :8090
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: creating `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: using `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000277] main private debug: looking for sout access module: 1 candidate
[00000277] main private: creating httpd
[00000280] main private debug: thread 432 (httpd host thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/httpd.c:1163)
[00000041] main module debug: using sout access module "access_output_http"
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: access opened
[00000281] main private debug: looking for sout mux module: 1 candidate
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: Asf muxer opened
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: creating asf stream to be used with mmsh
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: Packet size 4096
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: meta data: title='' author='' copyright='' comment='' rating=''
[00000151] main module debug: using sout mux module "mux_asf"
[00000271] main stream output debug: muxer support adding stream at any time
[00000271] main stream output debug: muxer prefers waiting for all ES before starting muxing
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: mux opened
[00000216] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_standard"
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-acodec to MP3
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vcodec to DIV3
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-ab to 64
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vb to 256
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-width to 320
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-height to 240
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-deinterlace to (null)
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-channels to 2
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec audio=MP3 0Hz 2 channels 64Kb/s
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec video=DIV3 320x240 scaling: 1.000000 256kb/s
[00000217] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_transcode"
[00000270] main input debug: `tivo://192.168.1.143/57655' gives access `tivo' demux `' path `192.168.1.143/57655'
[00000270] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.1.143/57655'
[00000283] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000283] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "tivo"
[00000270] main input debug: creating access 'tivo' path='192.168.1.143/57655'
[00000284] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
[00000284] vstream access debug: host '192.168.1.143:8074', fsid '57655'
[00000284] vstream access debug: opening net.
[00000284] main access debug: net: connecting to '192.168.1.143:8074'
[00000284] main access debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000284] ipv4 access debug: connection in progress
[00000284] vstream access debug: net open
[00000284] vstream access debug: super loaded.
[00000284] vstream access debug: zones loaded.
[00000284] vstream access debug: connected to host
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 0, file 75014, chunks 1791, size 234749952
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 1, file 75022, chunks 1791, size 234749952
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 2, file 75031, chunks 1087, size 142475264
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 3, file 75033, chunks 1183, size 155058176
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 4, file 75034, chunks 1087, size 142475264
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 5, file 75038, chunks 1151, size 150863872
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 6, file 75043, chunks 1247, size 163446784
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 7, file 75045, chunks 1055, size 138280960
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 8, file 75050, chunks 1183, size 155058176
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 9, file 75053, chunks 1087, size 142475264
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 10, file 75082, chunks 1023, size 134086656
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): No More Part Files
[00000284] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): totalsize 1791885312
[00000246] main module debug: using access2 module "vstream"
[00000286] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000286] main private debug: received first data for our buffer
[00000286] main private debug: prebuffering done 294903 bytes in 0s - 603 kbytes/s
[00000270] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.1.143/57655'
[00000287] main demuxer debug: looking for demux2 module: 38 candidates
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: valid TY stream detected
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: probe: chunk has 0 0x6e0 recs, 6 0xbe0 recs.
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: detected Series 2 Tivo
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: detected MPEG Audio
[00000270] main input debug: selecting program id=0
[00000233] main module debug: using demux2 module "ty"
[00000319] main packetizer debug: looking for packetizer module: 17 candidates
[00000146] main module debug: using packetizer module "mpeg_audio"
[00000270] main input debug: stream out mode -> no decoder thread
[00000352] main packetizer debug: looking for packetizer module: 17 candidates
[00000170] main module debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo"
[00000270] main input debug: stream out mode -> no decoder thread
[00000270] main input debug: starting in synch mode
[00000270] main input debug: `tivo://192.168.1.143/57655' successfully opened
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #0
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: skipping TY PART Header
[00000287] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #1
[00000352] packetizer_mpegvideo packetizer debug: Size 480x480 fps=29.970
[00000319] mpeg_audio packetizer debug: MPGA channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:192
[00000271] main stream output debug: adding a new input
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: creating audio transcoding from fcc=`mpga' to fcc=`MP3 '
[00000353] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 24 candidates
[00000145] main module debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio"
[00000354] main encoder debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder
[00000145] main module debug: unlocking module "mpeg_audio"
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot create audio chain
[00000319] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output
[00000271] main stream output debug: adding a new input
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: creating video transcoding from fcc=`mpgv' to fcc=`DIV3'
[00000367] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 24 candidates
[00000126] main module debug: using decoder module "libmpeg2"
[00000368] main encoder debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
[00000368] ffmpeg encoder debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 4756 )
[00000368] ffmpeg encoder debug: found encoder MS MPEG-4 Video v3
[00000018] main module debug: using encoder module "ffmpeg"
[00000018] main module debug: unlocking module "ffmpeg"
[00000271] main stream output warning: trying to send non-dated packet to stream output!
[00000367] libmpeg2 decoder debug: 480x480, aspect 576000, 29.971 fps
[00000369] main private warning: dts != current_pts (-1162434)
[00000369] main private warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-32700)
[00000368] main encoder debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
[00000368] ffmpeg encoder debug: libavcodec already initialized
[00000368] ffmpeg encoder debug: found encoder MS MPEG-4 Video v3
[00000018] main module debug: using encoder module "ffmpeg"
[00000281] main private debug: adding a new input
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: adding input
[00000370] main private debug: looking for video filter2 module: 3 candidates
[00000373] deinterlace private debug: using blend deinterlace mode
[00000373] deinterlace private debug: using blend deinterlace method
[00000370] deinterlace private debug: deinterlacing
[00000069] main module debug: using video filter2 module "deinterlace"
[00000374] main private debug: looking for video filter2 module: 2 candidates
[00000374] ffmpeg private debug: input: 480x480 I420 -> 320x240 I420
[00000374] ffmpeg private debug: libavcodec already initialized
[00000020] main module debug: using video filter2 module "ffmpeg"

johnnytaco
09-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Help -

I've been all over the forums looking for a hint, and I'm somewhat stuck. What I did: on my Fedora Core 4 box, installed vlc and vlc binaries, and tystreamer in my html dir. I then open tystreamer.php from my XP machine in both IE and Firefox and get the same results.

From shell, this works:
"/usr/bin/vlc" -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.13/llist vlc:quit 2>&1

Example output from that:
[00000270] main interface: creating vlm
[00000270] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000270] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000276] vstream access: |12/30/69|18:00|Live||1989747|3|
[00000276] vstream access: |12/30/69|18:00|Live||2008290|3|
[00000276] vstream access: |07/10/05|08:30|The Bachelor||1759607|13|
[00000276] vstream access: |07/01/05|10:00|Barney & Friends|Easy as ABC|1726933|3|

After running tystreamer.php in a browser, I get a no show listings. here is some debugging I did, printing these two variables in html:

fetch_programs_shell=["/usr/bin/vlc" -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.13/llist vlc:quit 2>&1 ]

tivo_list=[VLC media player 0.8.2 Janus [00000262] main interface: creating vlm [00000262] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin... [00000262] telnet interface error: cannot listen for telnet [00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot open display [00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot initialize OSFactory GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 135 (): error 'Operation not permitted' during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy, &sched)' aborting... ]

As you can see, $fetch_programs_shell matches what I can successfully run from shell. However, $tivo_list, which is the result of the cmd in tystreamer.php, shows a telnet error and display error.

Any ideas? Do I need to give apache more access to something? Full rw access is given to /usr/bin/vlc. Maybe there's something else you all did in httpd.conf ???

Thanks in advance!
jc

stealthdave
09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
how do I tell if I have that module?
I am on windows and used the windows binaries from the vlc site.
It looks like it is using the ffmpeg but I cant get sound.
here is the log if that helps...

[00000272] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder
[00000145] main module debug: unlocking module "mpeg_audio"
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot create audio chain
[00000319] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output

Looks like you are missing that plugin. To be honest, I don't know where you can find it. Try asking in the VLC mailing lists. I wouldn't bother with their web forums; those seem to be ignored by anyone who can answer the more difficult questions. You can always try compiling from source, but that can be tricky, especially on Windows. I wouldn't know where to begin helping you with that.

You can always use VLC as your client. :)

stealthdave
09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Help -

I've been all over the forums looking for a hint, and I'm somewhat stuck. What I did: on my Fedora Core 4 box, installed vlc and vlc binaries, and tystreamer in my html dir. I then open tystreamer.php from my XP machine in both IE and Firefox and get the same results.

From shell, this works:
"/usr/bin/vlc" -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.13/llist vlc:quit 2>&1

Example output from that:
[00000270] main interface: creating vlm
[00000270] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000270] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000276] vstream access: |12/30/69|18:00|Live||1989747|3|
[00000276] vstream access: |12/30/69|18:00|Live||2008290|3|
[00000276] vstream access: |07/10/05|08:30|The Bachelor||1759607|13|
[00000276] vstream access: |07/01/05|10:00|Barney & Friends|Easy as ABC|1726933|3|

After running tystreamer.php in a browser, I get a no show listings. here is some debugging I did, printing these two variables in html:

fetch_programs_shell=["/usr/bin/vlc" -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.13/llist vlc:quit 2>&1 ]

tivo_list=[VLC media player 0.8.2 Janus [00000262] main interface: creating vlm [00000262] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin... [00000262] telnet interface error: cannot listen for telnet [00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot open display [00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot initialize OSFactory GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 135 (): error 'Operation not permitted' during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy, &sched)' aborting... ]

As you can see, $fetch_programs_shell matches what I can successfully run from shell. However, $tivo_list, which is the result of the cmd in tystreamer.php, shows a telnet error and display error.

Any ideas? Do I need to give apache more access to something? Full rw access is given to /usr/bin/vlc. Maybe there's something else you all did in httpd.conf ???

Thanks in advance!
jc
What about full execute priveleges to vlc? "chmod a+x /usr/bin/vlc" should do it. In theory, you shouldn't need to do anything to httpd.conf. It can get messy in there. :)

johnnytaco
09-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Woops, that's what I meant... rx for all:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1463392 Aug 4 07:32 vlc

So - that's not it. Any other ideas? Any thoughts of how else to debug this?

Thanks again!
jt

GrimSage
09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Has anyone been able to get this to work on windows?

johnnytaco
09-20-2005, 12:43 AM
I *just* got VLC for Windows working (along with the r49 Tivo vlc updates). By running: tlv tivo://ip-of-tivo/list from a cmd prompt in XP, it populates the playlist in the VLC app and then I can double-click one of my recorded programs...

Now that I know it works, I can get back to my Fedora box and figure out why Apache can't seem to kick off VLC there.

If anyone had to do any Apache (2.0) tweaks to get tystreamer working, please let me know.

Thanks!
jt

GrimSage
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Johnnytaco
What exactly is tlv?

stealthdave
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
jt,
I think you might be running into the same issue that Mac users have been running into. VLC wants to launch it's gui, but the Apache user isn't allowed to, so it errors out. I've asked about this issue in the VLC forums, but to no avail. I'll probably have to sign up to the mailing list(s) to get an answer on this one. If you can somehow confirm that that's the issue, that might help my case for asking for a fix. :)

Thanks,
- SD

johnnytaco
09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
GrimSage - sorry, meant VLC.

johnnytaco
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
SD - what version(s) of Apache have you witnessed TyStreamer working in? Are you sure you didn't do anything to make Apache work? Also, could I possibly be on a different version of VLC than what you're using? I think I'm running the latest (non-CVS), 0.8.2 with r49 (that's from memory, I'm not near the machine now) of the VLC Tivo .so's.

If you have any ideas of how I can prove it's an Apache user trying to run the GUI, let me know. I'll keep digging. I'm so damn close, I can taste it! :)

Thanks!
jt

johnnytaco
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry for the flood, but here is more of the errors I received. You may see something in here to help you help me. ;) I see permissions denied on the .so files and also on creating a socket. In addition, it's trying to do something with /var/www/.vlc, which doesn't exist (and I'm not sure I like it existing anyway). The .so files absolutely are full read/execute. This definately, to me, looks like the Apache user not having enough permissions to do anything "outside of the norm". Maybe it's enough for you to get more input from the VLC forum. This is with -vvv.

[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file /var/www/.vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc warning: config file /var/www/.vlc/vlcrc does not exist yet
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file /var/www/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc warning: could not open plugins cache file /var/www/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat for reading
[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/demux/libty_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/demux/libty_plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied)
[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/access/libvstream_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/access/libvstream_plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied)
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 208 modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX 3DNow! MMXEXT SSE FPU
[00000001] main vlc debug: looking for memcpy module: 4 candidates
[00000259] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000259] main playlist debug: thread 3085978544 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:152)
[00000260] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000260] main private debug: thread 3075488688 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:174)
[00000261] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000034] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000261] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000261] main interface debug: thread 3064998832 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000259] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `vlc:quit' ( vlc:quit )
[00000259] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `tivo://192.168.1.13/llist' ( tivo://192.168.1.13/llist )
[00000262] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 6 candidates
[00000262] main interface: creating vlm
[00000263] main vlm debug: thread 3054508976 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000262] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000262] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212'
[00000262] main interface debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000262] ipv4 interface warning: cannot create socket (Permission denied)
[00000262] ipv6 interface warning: cannot create socket (Permission denied)
[00000262] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212' failed
[00000262] telnet interface error: cannot listen for telnet
[00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot open display
[00000262] skins2 interface error: Cannot initialize OSFactory
[00000262] rc interface warning: fd 0 is not a TTY
[00000160] main module debug: using interface module "wxwindows"
[00000262] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000262] main interface debug: thread 3044019120 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)

---
jt

johnnytaco
09-21-2005, 04:30 PM
After spending hours on this, I still haven't gotten it working. So I'm about to give up - especially if after all this, sound doesn't work. ;)

Sorry, SD!

jt

GrimSage
09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
ok well now
I have recently install ubuntu breezy
Installed apache2 with php5
I get it up and running and can get the page.
Put in my password to get my listing, works fine.
then when I click to launch the media player, WMP Launches
BUt says
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available."

[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file /var/www/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 199 modules
[00000000] main root debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure --mandir=/share/man --infodir=/share/info --enable-release --prefix=/usr --disable-gnome --disable-gtk --disable-familiar --disable-fb --enable-ggi --enable-sdl --enable-esd --disable-qt --enable-mad --enable-arts --enable-alsa --enable-lirc --enable-a52 --disable-aa --enable-dvbpsi --enable-xosd --enable-mozilla --disable-kde --enable-mp4 --enable-dvb --enable-dv --disable-satellite --enable-ogg --enable-vorbis --enable-wxwindows --with-wx-config=gtk2-unicode-release-2.6 --with-wx-config-path=/usr/lib/wx/config --disable-slp --enable-flac --disable-skins --disable-basic-skins --enable-skins2 --enable-freetype --enable-mkv --enable-v4l --enable-pvr --disable-speex --disable-caca --enable-livedotcom --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-dts --enable-fribidi --enable-cdio --enable-mod --enable-theora --enable-modplug --enable-dvdnav --enable-gnutls --enable-ncurses --enable-png --enable-glx --disable-dirac --enable-faad --with-faad-tree=extras/faad2 --enable-x264 --with-x264-tree=extras/x264 --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=extras/ffmpeg --enable-glide --enable-svgalib --enable-dvd --without-dvdcss
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 199 modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX MMXEXT SSE FPU
[00000253] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000253] main playlist debug: thread 3081341872 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:152)
[00000254] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000254] main private debug: thread 3072949168 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:174)
[00000255] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000135] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000255] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000255] main interface debug: thread 3064535984 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000253] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `vlc:quit' ( vlc:quit )
[00000253] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `tivo://192.168.1.143/54629' ( tivo://192.168.1.143/54629 )
[00000257] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 6 candidates
[00000257] main interface: creating vlm
[00000259] main vlm debug: thread 3056130992 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000257] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000257] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212'
[00000257] main interface debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000195] main module debug: using network module "ipv4"
[00000195] main module debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
[00000257] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000134] main module debug: using interface module "telnet"
[00000257] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000257] main interface debug: thread 3047721904 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)
[00000253] main playlist debug: creating new input thread
[00000261] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:std{acce ss=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8090}
[00000261] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000262] main stream output debug: stream=`transcode'
[00000263] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000262] main stream output debug: stream=`std'
[00000266] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000266] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-access to mmsh
[00000266] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-mux to asfh
[00000266] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-url to :8090
[00000266] stream_out_standard private debug: creating `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000266] stream_out_standard private debug: using `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000268] main private debug: looking for sout access module: 1 candidate
[00000268] main private: creating httpd
[00000261] main input debug: thread 3039329200 (input) created at priority 0 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000271] main private debug: thread 3030895536 (httpd host thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/httpd.c:1163)
[00000234] main module debug: using sout access module "access_output_http"
[00000266] stream_out_standard private debug: access opened
[00000272] main private debug: looking for sout mux module: 1 candidate
[00000272] mux_asf private debug: Asf muxer opened
[00000272] mux_asf private debug: creating asf stream to be used with mmsh
[00000272] mux_asf private debug: Packet size 4096
[00000272] mux_asf private debug: meta data: title='' author='' copyright='' comment='' rating=''
[00000057] main module debug: using sout mux module "mux_asf"
[00000262] main stream output debug: muxer support adding stream at any time
[00000262] main stream output debug: muxer prefers waiting for all ES before starting muxing
[00000266] stream_out_standard private debug: mux opened
[00000238] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_standard"
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-acodec to MP3
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vcodec to DIV3
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-ab to 64
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vb to 256
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-width to 320
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-height to 240
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-deinterlace to (null)
[00000263] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-channels to 2
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec audio=MP3 0Hz 2 channels 64Kb/s
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec video=DIV3 320x240 scaling: 1.000000 256kb/s
[00000247] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_transcode"
[00000261] main input debug: `tivo://192.168.1.143/54629' gives access `tivo' demux `' path `192.168.1.143/54629'
[00000261] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.1.143/54629'
[00000274] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000274] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "tivo"
[00000261] main input debug: creating access 'tivo' path='192.168.1.143/54629'
[00000275] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
[00000275] vstream access debug: host '192.168.1.143:8074', fsid '54629'
[00000275] vstream access debug: opening net.
[00000275] main access debug: net: connecting to '192.168.1.143:8074'
[00000275] main access debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000275] ipv4 access debug: connection in progress
[00000195] main module debug: using network module "ipv4"
[00000195] main module debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
[00000275] vstream access debug: net open
[00000275] vstream access debug: super loaded.
[00000275] vstream access debug: zones loaded.
[00000275] vstream access debug: connected to host
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 0, file 79572, chunks 1791, size 234749952
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 1, file 79576, chunks 1791, size 234749952
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 2, file 79577, chunks 1183, size 155058176
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 3, file 79579, chunks 1279, size 167641088
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 4, file 79589, chunks 1215, size 159252480
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 5, file 79596, chunks 95, size 12451840
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): No More Part Files
[00000275] vstream access debug: fsid_to_parts(): totalsize 962330624
[00000026] main module debug: using access2 module "vstream"
[00000277] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000277] main private debug: received first data for our buffer
[00000277] main private debug: prebuffering done 294903 bytes in 0s - 616 kbytes/s
[00000261] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.1.143/54629'
[00000278] main demuxer debug: looking for demux2 module: 37 candidates
[00000278] ts demuxer warning: TS module discarded (lost sync)
[00000278] ty demuxer debug: valid TY stream detected
[00000261] main input debug: selecting program id=0
[00000172] main module debug: using demux2 module "ty"
[00000312] main packetizer debug: looking for packetizer module: 16 candidates
[00000049] main module debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo"
[00000261] main input debug: stream out mode -> no decoder thread
[00000261] main input debug: starting in synch mode
[00000261] main input debug: `tivo://192.168.1.143/54629' successfully opened
[00000278] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #0
[00000278] ty demuxer debug: skipping TY PART Header
[00000278] ty demuxer debug: parsing ty chunk #1
[00000312] packetizer_mpegvideo packetizer debug: Size 480x480 fps=29.970
[00000278] ty demuxer debug: detected MPEG Audio
[00000324] main packetizer debug: looking for packetizer module: 16 candidates
[00000107] main module debug: using packetizer module "mpeg_audio"
[00000261] main input debug: stream out mode -> no decoder thread
[00000324] mpeg_audio packetizer debug: emulated startcode
[00000324] mpeg_audio packetizer debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
****Duplicates remove****
[00000312] packetizer_mpegvideo packetizer debug: need a starting pts/dts
[00000262] main stream output debug: adding a new input
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: creating video transcoding from fcc=`mpgv' to fcc=`DIV3'
[00000336] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 21 candidates
[00000125] main module debug: using decoder module "libmpeg2"
[00000337] main encoder debug: looking for encoder module: 7 candidates
[00000337] ffmpeg encoder debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 3211264 )
[00000337] ffmpeg encoder debug: found encoder MS MPEG-4 Video v3
[00000015] main module debug: using encoder module "ffmpeg"
[00000015] main module debug: unlocking module "ffmpeg"
[00000262] main stream output warning: trying to send non-dated packet to stream output!
[00000324] mpeg_audio packetizer debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
[00000336] libmpeg2 decoder debug: 480x480, aspect 576000, 29.971 fps
[00000342] main private warning: dts != current_pts (1127337186858361)
[00000336] libmpeg2 decoder warning: invalid picture encountered
[00000342] main private warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-33366)
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: late picture skipped (1127337188498320)
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: late picture skipped (1127337188513170)
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: late picture skipped (1127337186553246)
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: late picture skipped (1127337188531831)
[00000263] stream_out_transcode private debug: late picture skipped (1127337188540996)

ANy Idea's?

wake05
09-23-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm almost there getting this to work. I currently have:

Apache 2.0.54(win32) PHP/5.0.5
vlc 0.8.2

r45 vlc modules
Seriers 2 Tivo- Hughes HR10-250
[INDENT]1.2 vserver

I get the program listing, but when I lauch a program with VLC, I get a mozilla browser error: ALERT: mmsh is not a registered protocol

I also get the following text across the top of the web page:

vlc command: "c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv -I telnet --telnet-password jmcallis test.ty :sout=#transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:st d{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8090} vlc:quit 2> tystreamer.log & stream link: mmsh://192.168.1.14:8090

How do I add mmsh as a registered protocol for my browser? The instructions at the following URL don't seem to help me much http://nexgenmedia.net/docs/protocol/.

Any ideas of next steps?

Here's my tystreamer log file:

[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc warning: config file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc does not exist yet
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc warning: config file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc does not exist yet
[00000000] main root debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc --build=i386-linux --disable-sdl --disable-gtk --disable-dts --enable-nls --enable-skins2 --enable-gnutls --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-twolame --enable-dvdread --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-sdk-path=/usr/win32/gecko-sdk --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000262] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000262] main playlist debug: thread 3436 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:152)
[00000263] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000263] main private debug: thread 3452 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:174)
[00000264] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000115] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000264] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000264] main interface debug: thread 3476 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000262] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `vlc:quit' ( vlc:quit )
[00000262] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `test.ty' ( test.ty )
[00000266] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 4 candidates
[00000266] main interface: creating vlm
[00000268] main vlm debug: thread 3520 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000266] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000266] main interface debug: net: listening to ':4212'
[00000266] main interface debug: looking for network module: 2 candidates
[00000266] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on port: 4212
[00000222] main module debug: using interface module "telnet"
[00000266] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000266] main interface debug: thread 3588 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)
[00000270] main input debug: set input option: sout to #transcode{acodec=MP3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace,channels=2}:std{acce ss=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8090}
[00000270] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000270] main input debug: thread 3608 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000271] main stream output debug: stream=`transcode'
[00000272] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000271] main stream output debug: stream=`std'
[00000275] main private debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-access to mmsh
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-mux to asfh
[00000275] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-url to :8090
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: creating `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: using `mmsh/asfh://:8090'
[00000277] main private debug: looking for sout access module: 1 candidate
[00000277] main private: creating httpd
[00000280] main private debug: thread 3732 (httpd host thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/httpd.c:1163)
[00000041] main module debug: using sout access module "access_output_http"
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: access opened
[00000281] main private debug: looking for sout mux module: 1 candidate
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: Asf muxer opened
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: creating asf stream to be used with mmsh
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: Packet size 4096
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: meta data: title='' author='' copyright='' comment='' rating=''
[00000151] main module debug: using sout mux module "mux_asf"
[00000271] main stream output debug: muxer support adding stream at any time
[00000271] main stream output debug: muxer prefers waiting for all ES before starting muxing
[00000275] stream_out_standard private debug: mux opened
[00000216] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_standard"
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-acodec to MP3
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vcodec to DIV3
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-ab to 64
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-vb to 256
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-width to 320
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-height to 240
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-deinterlace to (null)
[00000272] main private debug: set sout option: sout-transcode-channels to 2
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec audio=MP3 0Hz 2 channels 64Kb/s
[00000272] stream_out_transcode private debug: codec video=DIV3 320x240 scaling: 1.000000 256kb/s
[00000217] main module debug: using sout stream module "stream_out_transcode"
[00000270] main input debug: `test.ty' gives access `' demux `' path `test.ty'
[00000270] main input debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='test.ty'
[00000283] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
libdvdread: Can't stat test.ty
[00000283] dvdnav demuxer warning: cannot open dvdnav
[00000270] main input debug: creating access '' path='test.ty'
[00000285] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates
[00000285] vcd access debug: trying .cue file: test.cue
[00000285] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `test.ty' (No such file or directory)
[00000285] cdda access debug: trying .cue file: test.cue
[00000285] cdda access warning: could not open test.ty
[00000270] main input error: no suitable access module for `test.ty'
[00000272] main private debug: destroying chain... (name=transcode)
[00000275] main private debug: destroying chain... (name=std)
[00000281] mux_asf private debug: Asf muxer closed
[00000277] access_output_http private warning: HTTP sout access cannot seek
[00000151] main module debug: unlocking module "mux_asf"
[00000280] main private debug: httpd_HostDelete
[00000280] main private debug: httpd_HostDelete: host removed from http
[00000280] main private debug: thread times: real 0m0.093750s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000280] main private debug: thread 3732 joined (src/misc/httpd.c:1221)
[00000280] main private debug: httpd_HostDelete: host thread joined
[00000279] main http daemon: httpd doesn't reference any host, deleting
[00000277] access_output_http private debug: Close
[00000041] main module debug: unlocking module "access_output_http"
[00000216] main module debug: unlocking module "stream_out_standard"
[00000275] main private debug: destroying chain done
[00000217] main module debug: unlocking module "stream_out_transcode"
[00000272] main private debug: destroying chain done
[00000270] main input debug: thread times: real 0m0.234375s, kernel 0m0.062500s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000270] main input debug: thread 3608 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000291] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000291] main input debug: thread 3608 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000291] main input debug: `vlc:quit' gives access `vlc' demux `' path `quit'
[00000291] main input debug: creating demux: access='vlc' demux='' path='quit'
[00000292] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000292] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "vlc"
[00000291] main input debug: creating access 'vlc' path='quit'
[00000293] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
[00000081] main module debug: using access2 module "dummy"
[00000302] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000302] main private debug: received first data for our buffer
[00000302] main private debug: prebuffering done 1408981 bytes in 0s - 1375958007 kbytes/s
[00000291] main input debug: creating demux: access='vlc' demux='vlc' path='quit'
[00000303] main demuxer debug: looking for demux2 module: 1 candidate
[00000303] dummy demuxer: command `quit'
[00000082] main module debug: using demux2 module "dummy"
[00000293] dummy access error: unimplemented query in control
[00000291] main input debug: `vlc:quit' successfully opened
[00000291] main input debug: EOF reached
[00000291] main input debug: closing input
[00000082] main module debug: unlocking module "dummy"
[00000081] main module debug: unlocking module "dummy"
[00000266] telnet interface warning: cannot select sockets
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all interfaces
[00000266] main interface debug: thread times: real 0m0.406250s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000266] main interface debug: thread 3588 joined (src/interface/interface.c:238)
[00000268] main vlm debug: thread times: real 0m0.703125s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000268] main vlm debug: thread 3520 joined (src/misc/vlm.c:156)
[00000222] main module debug: unlocking module "telnet"
[00000291] main input debug: thread times: real 0m0.109375s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000291] main input debug: thread 3608 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000262] main playlist: nothing to play
[00000264] main interface debug: thread times: real 0m0.765625s, kernel 0m0.046875s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000264] main interface debug: thread 3476 joined (src/interface/interface.c:238)
[00000115] main module debug: unlocking module "hotkeys"
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all playlists
[00000263] main private debug: thread times: real 0m0.812500s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
[00000263] main private debug: thread 3452 joined (src/playlist/playlist.c:206)
[00000262] main playlist debug: thread times: real 0m0.796875s, kernel 0m0.015625s, user 0m0.015625s
[00000262] main playlist debug: thread 3436 joined (src/playlist/playlist.c:207)
[00000262] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `test.ty'
[00000262] main playlist: stopping playback
[00000262] main playlist debug: deleting playlist item `vlc:quit'
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all video outputs
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing all audio outputs
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing announce handler
[00000010] main module debug: unlocking module "memcpymmxext"
[00000001] main vlc debug: saving plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat

wake05
09-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Update to the last post, I noticed in the tysteamer.log that I was still testing to a local test.ty file, and "testmode=1". I solved the file not found error, but I'm still stuck with the "ALERT: mmsh is not a registered protocol" error from my firefox 1.0.6 browser.

I changed to testmode=0 and I get a good program list, but I get the same mmsh error after selecting a program to play with VLC.

:confused:
I'm so close, I can taste it!

What should I look at next?

tmembrino
10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
...but I'm still stuck with the "ALERT: mmsh is not a registered protocol" error from my firefox 1.0.6 browser.

It took me a while but I finally figured out how to register mmsh as a protocol in WinXP to avoid the "mmsh is not a registered protocol error" from firefox.

I basically used the instructions at this link,

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1128388067

for mms protocol but modified them for mmsh. So I added the key MMSH to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and the value for shell - open - command key is set to the path for VLC ("C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "%L" in my case).

Tested it and seems to be working fine now.

Hope this helps.

tmembrino
10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
First a big thanks to stealthdave for tystreamer and tx413 for the VLC tivo modules. This stuff is just what I was looking for to stream to work. I've been using VLC manually by using remote access to setup the server side but it was cumbersome. Tystreamer provides a great interface and makes the whole thing really usable.

Now, I figured out how to get tystreamer working with mp3 audio rather than mp2 (didn't see anyone mention a solution in this thread so I figured I'd make a post).

I was thinking that when I setup a VLC stream manually it worked great with mp3 audio. I took a look at the command line settings that worked with VLC and mp3 and noticed the audio codec was mp3 (lower case m and p) vs. MP3 (which is what tystreamer was trying to use).

Changed the audio codec to mp3 in tystreamer.ini and it works great now with both VLC and WMP. I'm guessing the issue is with VLC - it must ignore the MP3 and only recognizes the lower case mp3.

Anyway - hope others find that helpful.

stealthdave
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Just to let people know, I am hard at work preparing another release candidate for TyStreamer 2.0. Here are some changes that you can expect, they are fairly minor:

- "stream size" drop-down fix (currently always says that you're running the first stream size, regardless of what's actually been selected)
- change "MP3" to "mp3" in tystreamer.ini file (Thanks to tmembrino for this one!)
- kill vlc stream from link

There are also a couple of outstanding issues.

Slow page loads - I've actually decided to leave this one be for now. The fix is not perfect as it will still take just as long to completely load, but would display the page as it builds to make it seem faster. However, doing so would eliminate the ability to sort the listings. Currently, the listings are sorted by date, but future revisions will have dynamic sorting. If slow page loads are really that much of an issue for you, let me know and I'll see about adding support for it as an optional setting. Regardless, I'm considering this a very low priority.

Mac OS X support - I'm currently working on this, and hope to have some kind of fix by the time we get to 2.0-Final (which will hopefully be sooner rather than later). The problem is not TyStreamer, but the Mac OS X build of VLC. I'm trying to create a build process that regular users can use to build their own VLC that will work, but the VLC build process is anything but simple. I won't post a binary here because it will be a bit large, and there are legal issues with posting it with mp3 encoding support built-in.

mp3 encoding problems - If you are getting this error message in your tystreamer.log file:

ffmpeg encoder error: cannot find encoder MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3
Then you have a VLC build that does not include mp3 encoding support. In particular, Debian Linux vlc packages do not include mp3 encoding due to the previously mentioned legal issues (software patents suck!). If this is the case, your only solutions are to find another binary package with mp3 encoding included, or to compile vlc from source yourself.

johnnytaco
10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Stealthdave -

Thanks for the update. I've got the itch to try this again, but do you have any more ideas on how to get VLC working with Apache 2.0?

Recall when it runs I get many errors (logs in a previous post), most appearing to be related to permissions problems, even problems creating a socket. I tried everything I knew to give Apache more access and the VLC files read/execute global with no luck.

Thanks-
jt

tmembrino
10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
johnnytaco - I have tystreamer running with Apache 2.0.54/PHP 5.05 on a WinXp box, using VLC 0.82 and the r49 version of the tivo streaming module. Nothing special required to get tystreamer working. Sorry I can't help with your problem.

I have noticed some stability problems. Some of it seems related to timing issues. I have a large NP list on the Tivo and it occassionally seems to timeout before tystreamer loads the list - I just end up with a blank list. This is intermittent.

I've also had issues when I try to start a stream. The vlc process appears to startup, my client launches the vlc program to view the stream but then the vlc server process immediately dies. Mostly happens when I try streaming from work. If I stream over the LAN at home it usually is fine. Maybe another timeout issue due to the slow net connection at work.

One thing I played with yesterday is the built-in web server in VLC. It's not too bad (a bit of a clunky interface) and certainly simpler to implement since there's no requirement for a separate web server running PHP (a bit faster too I think). I was able to get the tivo list to load up remotely and started some streams with transcoding. Obviously I had to manually launch the vlc with the http interface on the server first.

It was mostly just an experiment but I'm wondering if it makes sense to consider making a custom vlc web interface for tivo streaming - kind of a hybrid of tystreamer's interface with the vlc backbone web server. One nice feature is it supports direct control over vlc for pausing/stopping/etc. Unfortunately I don't have much experience programming but might play around with it a bit.

Regardless tystreamer is a great tool and much appreciated. Just thinking folks having trouble getting it running might try playing with vlc's built-in web server as an option.

Frostbyte
10-16-2005, 04:55 PM
johnnytaco - I think I may have the solution to your problem. Or at least part of it. I was having the same problem when vlc was executing the query to pull the list shows from the tivo, it would return, "ipv6 interface warning: cannot create socket (Permission denied)". This was because I had SELinux running on my system. After disabling it with, "setenforce 0", my shows appeared correctly. You can read more about SELinux here if you're interested (including how to disable it permanently):

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Anyway, thanks to stealthdave and everyone else who helped for putting TyStreamer together!

johnnytaco
10-17-2005, 08:21 PM
That's funny, Frostbyte - I was looking through Apache docs just last night and I saw something about SElinux as well. I will definitely look into it and see if that is the fix.

Thanks -
jt

johnnytaco
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Frostbyte - that did it. SELinux was indeed preventing vlc from running correctly.

Now I get my program listing, but when I try to watch a show, vlc appears to die quickly and I can't connect to it. Running the vlc command manually (outside of apache) seems to actually run, but WMP can't connect. Will continue to troubleshoot, but I'm close!

jt

patp
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
What's the minimum spec for running tystreamer? I fancy building a home server based around a VIA Epia mini-itx board, but they don't have a lot of power.

mdm180
10-28-2005, 05:32 PM
First off, this is great stuff. I am surprised more people aren't interested in this. I remember the first try at this on linux (RH) and trying for weeks to get it working and giving up. Anyway, I got this version up and running on WinXP with apache fairly easily. It is working and I can stream to my work ok. It came in handy when I had to work last Sunday during football.

But, I am having one real issue. Since I have a 2 Mbps upload on my connection, I decide to try and get a better bitrate and utilize that bandwidth. So, I added a couple new profiles to the ini file. These changes were reflected in the drop down on the webpage and if I select one, the corresponding profile name in the links (ex. stream5, stream6, etc). But, when I actually click the link, I just get the low bitrate version. I verified this by looking at the running vlc process with tlist.exe and seeing the parameters feed in to the exe. I also tested just manually putting the parameters into the command line and running it outside of tystreamer. I could definitely see the difference. So, any idea what I am missing? I haven't poked around in the code yet to see if there is hard coding or anything.

Anyone have a working example of how I can change the ini to get, say, a 640x480 1024kbps video 128kbps audio setup?

BTW: Anyone get this to work with IIS?

---- sorry, didn't mean to reply to the previous post ----

mdm180
10-28-2005, 11:02 PM
I was able to change (fix?) the code to correctly pull the correct video and audio bitrates from the ini. I changed these lines

$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("abr",$streamopts))?",ab=".$streamopts["abr"]:",ab=64";
$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("vbr",$streamopts))?",vb=".$streamopts["vbr"]:",vb=256";

to:

$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("audiobr",$streamopts))?",audiobr=".$streamopts["audiobr"]:",audiobr=64";
$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("videobr",$streamopts))?",videobr=".$streamopts["videobr"]:",videobr=256";

Works for me! I hope this helps.

stealthdave
10-29-2005, 04:47 PM
TyStreamer 2.0 Final is released! See first post for download and changes, or visit http://www.wiskars.com/tystreamer.

stealthdave
10-29-2005, 04:55 PM
<snip>

But, I am having one real issue. Since I have a 2 Mbps upload on my connection, I decide to try and get a better bitrate and utilize that bandwidth. So, I added a couple new profiles to the ini file. These changes were reflected in the drop down on the webpage and if I select one, the corresponding profile name in the links (ex. stream5, stream6, etc). But, when I actually click the link, I just get the low bitrate version. I verified this by looking at the running vlc process with tlist.exe and seeing the parameters feed in to the exe. I also tested just manually putting the parameters into the command line and running it outside of tystreamer. I could definitely see the difference. So, any idea what I am missing? I haven't poked around in the code yet to see if there is hard coding or anything.

Anyone have a working example of how I can change the ini to get, say, a 640x480 1024kbps video 128kbps audio setup?
This is directly supported by the ini file. For size, change the "width" and "height" attributes to the desired dimensions. Same for "videobr" and "audiobr". Anything not directly supported with its own settings can be added to "other", such as "deinterlace,scale=1". If you were having problems getting this to work with beta1, try the final release that I just posted. Your existing ini file should work just fine.

BTW: Anyone get this to work with IIS?
IIS should work out of the box, but you may have to specifically give the IIS user permission to run the VLC.exe executable. You'll need to google how to do this, but I've gone through the process in the past.

citivolus
10-29-2005, 11:33 PM
tystreamer is really cool...I played around with it earlier this year and got it working. now that i've upgraded to the HD tivo, I was wondering if anyone has gotten this to work with HD recordings on the HR10-250? when I play an fsid through VLC it just chokes and stops. incidentally, I also can't get ETivo to work on these recordings either.

mdm180
10-31-2005, 10:48 AM
This is directly supported by the ini file. For size, change the "width" and "height" attributes to the desired dimensions. Same for "videobr" and "audiobr". Anything not directly supported with its own settings can be added to "other", such as "deinterlace,scale=1". If you were having problems getting this to work with beta1, try the final release that I just posted. Your existing ini file should work just fine.

IIS should work out of the box, but you may have to specifically give the IIS user permission to run the VLC.exe executable. You'll need to google how to do this, but I've gone through the process in the past.

Yes, I realized it should work and I believe that I changed the ini correctly but it still was using 256 for the video bitrate and 64 for the audio bitrate. This was verified by using tlist.exe to see the command line of the running vlc process. I believe there is/was a bug in the code that caused this -- please see my other post with how I got it working. I believe it caused because "vbr" is used for the variable once then "vb" is used second. It appears to be the same to me in the final version. Please correct me if I am wrong -- I am not even close to a php developer!

As for IIS, thanks for the advise. I will follow your suggestions and give it a shot.

stealthdave
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I believe there is/was a bug in the code that caused this -- please see my other post with how I got it working. I believe it caused because "vbr" is used for the variable once then "vb" is used second. It appears to be the same to me in the final version. Please correct me if I am wrong -- I am not even close to a php developer!
You're absolutely right; it's a bug! :eek: Let me know if this fixes the issue (it's the same fix you posted earlier), and I'll do a 2.0a bugfix release.

Good catch!

mebgoin
10-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Ok, so I've got the list loading finally ... I had to increase the timeout to 240 instead of 120 because it was timing out. Now I'm getting a message showing up right before the list that says:

Notice: Undefined variable: vlc_open in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tystreamer\tystreamer.php on line 268

Also, I'm getting a network error in WMP when I try to click on the links.

Any ideas??

Edit: FWIW I'm running IIS6 on WinServer2k3 & PHP 5.0.5

mdm180
11-01-2005, 09:09 AM
You're absolutely right; it's a bug! :eek: Let me know if this fixes the issue (it's the same fix you posted earlier), and I'll do a 2.0a bugfix release.

Good catch!

Well, the good news is that the patched version of the new tystreamer.php did correct the static bitrate issue. The bad news is that the new version (meaning 2.0 final) broke something else on my setup (WinXP, latest apache, latest php). Tystreamer pulls the show list and builds the page fine but when I would actually click to stream, it couldn't launch vlc properly. The log showed a generic error windows error that it couldn't fine the executable (don't have the error in front of me now) without any explanation. I added a debug line to the code to see the command-line it was trying to launch and noticed some extra quotes in there vs. last version. So I played around a bit and found the following line was causing the issue:

if(strpos($tyini["vlc"],".exe")) $tyini["vlc"] = "\"".$tyini["vlc"]."\"";

When I comment it out, everything works. I noticed that this code did change between versions for the checking but I am not sure I understand exactly what is going on here. I am sure you will be able to easily figure it out though. It may be just my setup but it didn't like the quotes around the vlc exe. Sorry I didn't have more time to troubleshoot the issue.

I plan to try and move from apache to IIS when I have time so I can run both etivo and tystreamer on the same box - albeit not at the same time as I would think encoding in etivo and transcoding/streaming in tystreamer would tax things a bit.

I did notice some of the enhancements in the 2.0 final though including some speed improvements. Nice work.

mebgoin
11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I checked my error log and it gave a similar "could not find program" message, however I noticed that it only seemed to be looking for "C:\Program" ... I'm wondering if it's having a problem due to a space in the vlc path? I'll try commenting out the line suggested and seeing if that makes a difference ...

Matt

mdm180
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I checked my error log and it gave a similar "could not find program" message, however I noticed that it only seemed to be looking for "C:\Program" ... I'm wondering if it's having a problem due to a space in the vlc path? I'll try commenting out the line suggested and seeing if that makes a difference ...

Matt

FYI: From the beginning, I used "c:\progra~1\..." in the ini instead of "c:\program files\..." to avoid issues.

mebgoin
11-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I have tried that now too, as well as installing VLC in a new directory without the spaces ...

I'm still getting the undefined variable message, but no longer getting anything in the error log.

Edit:I was finally able to get streaming to work though! Even with the undefined variable message, I was able to click the WMP link and get it to stream to the computer I was on. How?

By commenting out the same line mdm180 did ... any thoughts stealthdave?

Matt

mdm180
11-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I have tried that now too, as well as installing VLC in a new directory without the spaces ...

I'm still getting the undefined variable message, but no longer getting anything in the error log.

Edit:I was finally able to get streaming to work though! Even with the undefined variable message, I was able to click the WMP link and get it to stream to the computer I was on. How?

By commenting out the same line mdm180 did ... any thoughts stealthdave?

Matt

Ok, I switch from apache to IIS 5.1 on WinXP with success. Basically, I needed to just give iusr_servername read/execute NTFS permissions on vlc.exe and c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. By default, iusr_servername is explicitly denied access to cmd.exe. Of course, we are making things less secure but apache had access to it too.

Once I got it working, I got the same undefined variable message message that Matt did. I looked in the code and it does look like the vlc_open variable is not defined for the listing code. So, I just defined it at the top of the page so that it has a default value even in the code doesn't use it. I am not sure if this breaks something else.

$vlc_open = false;

stealthdave
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Ok, I switch from apache to IIS 5.1 on WinXP with success. Basically, I needed to just give iusr_servername read/execute NTFS permissions on vlc.exe and c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. By default, iusr_servername is explicitly denied access to cmd.exe. Of course, we are making things less secure but apache had access to it too.
I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't remember exactly what. :) I rarely use windows, so it is the least tested system for TyStreamer. I'll add this to the FAQs. In fact, it will be the only FAQ for the moment! :D

Once I got it working, I got the same undefined variable message message that Matt did. I looked in the code and it does look like the vlc_open variable is not defined for the listing code. So, I just defined it at the top of the page so that it has a default value even in the code doesn't use it. I am not sure if this breaks something else.

$vlc_open = false;
That's what I figured the problem might be. I'll go through and make sure that it's a safe default value (it probably is) and add it to the bugfix release.

I knew I should have labeled it RC1. :(

mdm180
11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't remember exactly what. :) I rarely use windows, so it is the least tested system for TyStreamer. I'll add this to the FAQs. In fact, it will be the only FAQ for the moment! :D

That's what I figured the problem might be. I'll go through and make sure that it's a safe default value (it probably is) and add it to the bugfix release.

I knew I should have labeled it RC1. :(

Cool stealthdave, thanks. I have a feature request. The code builds the stream link dynamically using the server name php pulls from the machine itself. Can you add an option in ini to define the servername for the stream URL? If it is blank then it automatically pulls it like now. If defined, it is used in place of it. I have been going into the php code and editing it to put in my public IP instead of the servername (FQDN) of the server internally. Thanks.

crickert
11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
It took me a while but I finally figured out how to register mmsh as a protocol in WinXP to avoid the "mmsh is not a registered protocol error" from firefox.

I basically used the instructions at this link,

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1128388067

for mms protocol but modified them for mmsh. So I added the key MMSH to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and the value for shell - open - command key is set to the path for VLC ("C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "%L" in my case).

Tested it and seems to be working fine now.

Hope this helps.

I get this message in both Windows and Kubuntu on firefox. I have no problems streaming to vlc with command line but when clicking on the hyperlinks, I get mmsh not a register protocol message. Why would this be happening on both OS's on firefox.

On a related note, I get a "network ....blah, blah," popup screen when trying to open on the Windows Media Player. I noticed that others have had similar issues with Media Player.

This has got to be something with the Apache server and permissions?? I'm using a fairly stock Apache 2.0 config and stock php4 on Kubuntu.

Any Linux / Apache users with same experiences launching the stream from the hyperlink?

Chris

stealthdave
11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
<snip>
Tystreamer pulls the show list and builds the page fine but when I would actually click to stream, it couldn't launch vlc properly. The log showed a generic error windows error that it couldn't fine the executable (don't have the error in front of me now) without any explanation. I added a debug line to the code to see the command-line it was trying to launch and noticed some extra quotes in there vs. last version. So I played around a bit and found the following line was causing the issue:

When I comment it out, everything works. I noticed that this code did change between versions for the checking but I am not sure I understand exactly what is going on here. I am sure you will be able to easily figure it out though. It may be just my setup but it didn't like the quotes around the vlc exe. Sorry I didn't have more time to troubleshoot the issue.
This line of code is meant to correct the issue that mebgoin was experiencing with spaces in the executable path that would change this:

C:\Program Files\VideoLan\VLC\vlc.exe command options here
to this:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLan\VLC\vlc.exe" command options here
Obviously, it's not working. I'll have to look into it.

I did notice some of the enhancements in the 2.0 final though including some speed improvements. Nice work.
Thanks! Glad you liked it.

crickert
11-05-2005, 03:38 AM
think i am pretty close - missing on something

tserver running on Directivo - I can get a list of all the programs in my shell when type this in a shell on my server:

vlc -I telnet tivo://192.168.0.25/llist vlc:quit 2>&1

I can use VLC and the plugins to stream a recording to my server PC (Kubuntu Linux)

I put tystreamer.php in my webserver root - I can view a list of my recorded shows when I do:

localhost/apache2/tystreamer.php (with Firefox on my server box)

or

192.168.0.25/apache2/tystreamer.php (with IE and Firefox on a Win xp box on the network

I installed VLC .82 on the Windows box and already have WMP on it.

When I click on the VLC hyperlink using IE, it takes me to a blank page with

mmsh://servername:8090 in the URL field

When I click on the VLC hyperlink using Firefox, a box pops up that says
"mmsh is not a register protocol"

When I click on the WMP hyperlink using either browser, media player opens but I then get a popup that says "windows media player cannot play this file because a network error occurred"

In my apache error log, the only thing I noticed was

sh: /home/chris/tystreamer.log : permission denied

I don't this this has any effect on why nothing gets streamed.

The second thing I noticed was an error after I enter:
vlc -vvv -I telnet tivo://192.168.0.25/llist vlc:quit 2>&1

here is s snippet:

00000243] vstream access: |11/04/05|20:00|Three Wishes|Cedar City, Utah|1019291|3|
[00000243] vstream access: |10/28/05|20:00|Three Wishes|Military Homecoming|996597|3|
[00000243] vstream access: |10/21/05|20:00|Three Wishes|Covington, Georgia|974659|3|
[00000243] vstream access: |09/14/05|07:07|Today||880197|7|
[00000243] vcd access warning: could not open 192.168.0.25/llist
[00000243] access_file access warning: cannot stat() file `192.168.0.25/llist' (No such file or directory)
[00000243] cdda access warning: could not open 192.168.0.25/llist
[00000243] main access warning: no access2 module matching "tivo" could be loaded
[00000241] main input error: no suitable access module for `tivo://192.168.0.25/llist'
[00000241] main input debug: thread -1238922320 joined (src/input/input.c:290)

Does the no suitable module mean that the ty (r42) and vstream (r37) plugins are the wrong versions? I'm using the 0.81 VLC that was on Ubuntu Hoary respositories. It should be noted that I can initiate the stream from a shell using

vlc -vvv -I telnet --telnet password mypassword tivo://192.168.0.25/901081

I think I'm pretty close - just don't know where to look at this point.

Thanks

CR

Mr novice
11-17-2005, 01:05 PM
OK. I get the shows to list on the webpage. The problem is when I click on the WMP link to start the stream it opens mediaplayer and it gives the following error:

C00D11B3: Encountered a network error
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the Player encountered a network error.

Also if I use the VLC link it just opens a page in IE and I get a 404. Even with the client on my XP box.

Here is my setup:
Server: windows 2003 with IIS 6
PHP: 5.04
VLC: 0.8.2
I have also forwarded port 8090 to my server on the router. I also tried server in the DMZ still the same issue. I have attached my tystream.ini file incase it is needed. Any help would be greatly appreicatedand thanks in advance. :D

forgot to mention that I'm not getting a tystreamer.log file.

Mr novice
11-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I found that if I execute the following command on the server manually the use the mms://servername:8090 it streams fine for that show. I'm guessing it is a permission thing. Getting close now!!!!!:D

"c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -V dummy --intf=telnet --telnet-password password tivo://192.168.1.200/498355":sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace}:std{access=mm sh,mux=asfh,url=:8090}" vlc:quit 2> tystreamer.log

edit:
I just noticed that when I launch the process manually vlc stays running in task manager but when I launch it from the web site the vlc process runs for a few seconds and then stops. anyone have any ideas?

stealthdave
11-20-2005, 09:59 PM
<snip>
Server: windows 2003 with IIS 6

This should probably be an FAQ, but I never seem to find time to actually create one. :) You need to make sure that the IIS user IUSR has permission to execute VLC. Otherwise, IIS' security prevents the web server from executing VLC.

useid200
11-25-2005, 03:57 PM
I have been trying to get this working and finally got it. Figured I'd post my fixes in case someone else using IIS is have trouble.

First, I installed PHP and got it working. But I couldn't get the program list to show up. I tried everything (I thought). Then I deleted the trailing space from the line:

$fetch_programs_shell = $tyini["vlc"] . " -I dummy -V dummy --intf=telnet tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist vlc:quit 2>&1 ";

To make it look like:

$fetch_programs_shell = $tyini["vlc"] . " -I dummy -V dummy --intf=telnet tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist vlc:quit 2>&1";

It worked!!

Ok, now I got the list working, but when I clicked on the WMP link next to the program I got an error saying:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

I looked in my task list and there was no vlc.exe running so something was wrong. Upon inspecting the tystreamer.php file I noticed the line:

I am using Windows so my tystreamer.ini path for vlc was:

"c:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Which has the .exe. So I commented out the line in the php script and it worked! So, the php script should be:

/* build stream command line */
//if(strpos($tyini["vlc"],".exe")) $tyini["vlc"] = "\"".$tyini["vlc"]."\"";

Hope this helps anybody who has been trying to get this working!

I still haven't got the mmsh error fixed when I click on the VLC link next to the program, but I will keep trying.

--

Mr novice
11-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks stealthdave & useid200 but... :confused:

My IUSR account has read/execute rights to cmd.exe and the entire VLC directory. I was not even getting a list until that happened. If I'm on my server when I click on the link I see tystreamer open the cmd window and in task manager I also see vlc.exe start. The problem seems to be something in the command line because vlc runs for a few sec then closes and the command prompt also closes and nothing is written to tystreamer.log. I also wrote a test php page the runs a ping command and that works without issue.

When I tried useid200 suggestions and commented out:

it then appeared to stop working completley. Any other ideas you may have would be greatly appreaicated.

useid200 what version of Windows/IIS are you running? Can you zip & post your ini and tystreamer.php files?:D

Mr novice
12-03-2005, 07:56 AM
ok I have it sorta working. some shows only have audio when streaming. if i open vlc on the server the audio and video is there. so i'mguessing it is in the re-encoding somewhere. the other things was it always seems to cut the last 3 min or so from the stream. Any ideas on this? As always any help is greatly appreicated. Thanks!!:D

stealthdave
12-03-2005, 04:15 PM
ok I have it sorta working. some shows only have audio when streaming. if i open vlc on the server the audio and video is there. so i'mguessing it is in the re-encoding somewhere. the other things was it always seems to cut the last 3 min or so from the stream. Any ideas on this? As always any help is greatly appreicated. Thanks!!:D
For the latter, I'd say probably good ol' fashioned network lag is a likely suspect. VideoLAN Client is only designed for local area networks, so it's not going to do as well if it has to jump through too many network nodes. No idea on the former. My guess is that it's just peculiarities with specific streams, though I can't be certain.

patp
12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Many of the tweaks in this thread helped me get most of the way there. I now get a proper listing from my Tivo, and when I click on a WMP link it executes vcl on the server and wmp on the client. However, the server vlc process only lives for a few seconds so the wmp has nothing to play.

I got teh php to echo the stream command and it seems to be assembling a valid command - if I copy it into a cmd window it runs vlc and streams correctly. So I think it must be somethingto do with the way the script executes the command. I did notice the listing command is called with:

shell_exec($fetch_programs_shell)

while the stream is started with:

exec($stream_cmd)

but it made no difference when I changed the latter one.

I'm stumped. It seems the script is not passing the right options to vlc, but I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

John

stealthdave
12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Many of the tweaks in this thread helped me get most of the way there. I now get a proper listing from my Tivo, and when I click on a WMP link it executes vcl on the server and wmp on the client. However, the server vlc process only lives for a few seconds so the wmp has nothing to play.

I got teh php to echo the stream command and it seems to be assembling a valid command - if I copy it into a cmd window it runs vlc and streams correctly. So I think it must be somethingto do with the way the script executes the command. I did notice the listing command is called with:

shell_exec($fetch_programs_shell)

while the stream is started with:

exec($stream_cmd)

but it made no difference when I changed the latter one.

I'm stumped. It seems the script is not passing the right options to vlc, but I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

John
Do you see anything in the error log? (Turn on logging in the .ini file if it's not already set.)

patp
12-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Do you see anything in the error log? (Turn on logging in the .ini file if it's not already set.)

Funny thing, I don't get an error log. I presume it's meant to be in the same directory as the tystreamer.php?

Could this (and other problems people have had) be a php version issue? I am using the latest one (5.11 I think).

Mr novice
12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
patp,

if your running IIS I have written what is basically and asp version of tystreamer can Ty2Go. You can find it at the following:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46453

The setup and concepts are very similiar to tystreamer.

I only wrote it because i saw people running windows including myself were having the same issues your having. I credit stealth dave in my app because with tystreamer ty2go would not have been possible. Thanks again Dave:D

patp
12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
patp,

if your running IIS I have written what is basically and asp version of tystreamer can Ty2Go.

OK, thanks I'll look at that. I wasn't running IIS but I guess I could do. I didn't really want to as I remember the early days and how insecure it was. Is it better these days? It's quite important as I may want to access it from outside my lan.

Also, is IIS a resource hog? I am currently trying to set it up using Xitami which is tiny and unobtrusive.

nick2196
12-30-2005, 12:15 AM
OK. So I have gotten to the point where it feels like any time I hit the enter key, I might get lucky. I installed VLC, Vserver, Apache2, PHP, and tystreamer onto my Windows XP home pc. I am connecting into a directv RCA40 box, and have tivoweplus, etc. installed. I am able to use tytools to download completed shows, but have not gotten through the step of streaming live tv.

At this point, when I go to a command prompt from XP, I get a listing of the shows on the original playlist by StealthDave, from January, 05. I can't figure out if I should be doing something differently there.

Also, when I type "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//llist" in vlc, this is what I get:

main debug: adding playlist item `vlc' ( vlc )
main debug: adding playlist item `-I' ( -I )
main debug: adding playlist item `telnet' ( telnet )
main debug: adding playlist item `tivo://192.168.1.101//plist' ( tivo://192.168.1.101//plist )
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: `vlc' gives access `' demux `' path `vlc'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='vlc'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
main debug: thread 3728 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav
main debug: creating access '' path='vlc'
vcd debug: trying .cue file: vlc.cue
access_file warning: vlc: No such file or directory
cdda debug: trying .cue file: vlc.cue
cdda warning: could not open vlc
main error: no suitable access module for `vlc'
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.109375s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: thread 3728 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
main debug: `-I' gives access `' demux `' path `-I'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='-I'
main debug: creating access '' path='-I'
vcd debug: trying .cue file: -I.cue
access_file warning: -I: No such file or directory
cdda debug: trying .cue file: -I.cue
cdda warning: could not open -I
main error: no suitable access module for `-I'
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.093750s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: `telnet' gives access `' demux `' path `telnet'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='telnet'
main debug: creating access '' path='telnet'
vcd debug: trying .cue file: telnet.cue
access_file warning: telnet: No such file or directory
cdda debug: trying .cue file: telnet.cue
cdda warning: could not open telnet
main error: no suitable access module for `telnet'
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.093750s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: `tivo://192.168.1.101//plist' gives access `tivo' demux `' path `192.168.1.101//plist'
main debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.1.101//plist'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
main warning: no access_demux module matched "tivo"
main debug: creating access 'tivo' path='192.168.1.101//plist'
vcd debug: trying .cue file: 192.168.1.cue
access_file warning: 192.168.1.101//plist: No such file or directory
cdda debug: trying .cue file: 192.168.1.cue
cdda warning: could not open 192.168.1.101//plist
main warning: no access2 module matching "tivo" could be loaded
main error: no suitable access module for `tivo://192.168.1.101//plist'

What am I missing???????? Please help. I have been spinning my wheels with this, and reading over and over your posts, unable to see what I need. I hope this is something simple.

stealthdave
01-05-2006, 06:03 PM
OK. So I have gotten to the point where it feels like any time I hit the enter key, I might get lucky. I installed VLC, Vserver, Apache2, PHP, and tystreamer onto my Windows XP home pc. I am connecting into a directv RCA40 box, and have tivoweplus, etc. installed. I am able to use tytools to download completed shows, but have not gotten through the step of streaming live tv.

At this point, when I go to a command prompt from XP, I get a listing of the shows on the original playlist by StealthDave, from January, 05. I can't figure out if I should be doing something differently there.

Also, when I type "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address//llist" in vlc, this is what I get:
<snip>

The first thing I see is that you have two "/" before llist instead of one. Try "vlc -I telnet tivo://my.ip.address/llist". Also, double- and triple-check that vserver is running properly on the TiVo. Verify that you have the correct plugins for your version of VLC. Those are the most likely sources of your problem.

nick2196
01-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Dave, thank you for your reply. I checked both of these common issues, and neither helps me out. Do you have any other tricks up your sleve? I gotta get this working by the weekend, so I can stream my NFL games, and my wife can watch the other tuner on the tv. HELP!

stealthdave
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Dave, thank you for your reply. I checked both of these common issues, and neither helps me out. Do you have any other tricks up your sleve? I gotta get this working by the weekend, so I can stream my NFL games, and my wife can watch the other tuner on the tv. HELP!
Let's move this to PMs :)

bigcat400
01-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Trying to get tystreamer to work on my XP box. I get the list of shows correctly, but when I click on the VLC (or WMP) link I get a "Page not found" error (mmsh://localhost:8090/).

tystreamer.log only has the following line:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
I know the path to vlc is correct since the list of shows is displayed correctly. What else could this be referring to? Is there anything that I can change on the php file to help debug this?

Thanks

Goines
01-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Random question, but I'm curious before I get this running on my tivo's. Is there no audio at all? Or, is it just no audio when using windows media player?

And is there any software streaming solution that does both audio and video right now?

Thanks

tmembrino
01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
With the latest release audio works fine with both VLC and WMP.

As for other streaming solutions you can look into ETivo but that requires a WinXP box to re-encode the ty files.

Tystreamer is nice in that it streams directly from the Tivo.

madpoet
01-15-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm trying to use VLC .82 and the appropriate pluvgins for it (I'm a windows user and haven't figured out how to compile for .84 yet). I can get the show list but when I try to play I'm getting all sorts of video error messages and a blank black screen. Here is some of the log:

main debug: adding playlist item `tivo://192.168.11.101/554095' ( tivo://192.168.11.101/554095 )
main debug: `tivo://192.168.11.101/554095' gives access `tivo' demux `' path `192.168.11.101/554095'
main debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.11.101/554095'
main debug: thread 3924 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
main warning: no access_demux module matched "tivo"
main debug: creating access 'tivo' path='192.168.11.101/554095'
vstream debug: host '192.168.11.101:8074', fsid '554095'
vstream debug: opening net.
main debug: net: connecting to '192.168.11.101:8074'
vstream debug: net open
vstream debug: super loaded.
vstream debug: zones loaded.
vstream debug: connected to host
vstream debug: fsid_to_parts(): index 0, file 607331, chunks 1679, size 220069888
vstream debug: fsid_to_parts(): No More Part Files
vstream debug: fsid_to_parts(): totalsize 216662016
main debug: using access2 module "vstream"
main debug: pre buffering
main debug: received first data for our buffer
main debug: prebuffering done 163835 bytes in 1s - 112 kbytes/s
main debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='192.168.11.101/554095'
main debug: looking for demux2 module: 38 candidates
ts warning: TS module discarded (lost sync)
ty debug: valid TY stream detected
main debug: selecting program id=0
main debug: using demux2 module "ty"
main debug: looking for decoder module: 24 candidates
main debug: using decoder module "libmpeg2"
main debug: thread 4012 (decoder) created at priority 0 (src/input/decoder.c:159)
main debug: `tivo://192.168.11.101/554095' successfully opened
ty debug: parsing ty chunk #0
ty debug: skipping TY PART Header
ty debug: parsing ty chunk #1
ty debug: Invalid record type 0x20
ty debug: detected MPEG Audio
main debug: looking for decoder module: 24 candidates
libmpeg2 debug: 480x480, aspect 576000, 29.971 fps
main debug: no usable vout present, spawning one
main debug: looking for video output module: 5 candidates
vout_directx debug: creating DirectXEventThread
vout_directx debug: DirectXCreateWindow
main debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 2
main debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 3
main debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 4
main debug: Registering subpicture channel, ID: 5
vout_directx debug: Created video sub-window
main debug: thread 4072 (DirectX Events Thread) created at priority 0 (directx.c:261)
vout_directx debug: DirectXEventThread running
vout_directx debug: DirectXInitDDraw
vout_directx debug: directx-device:
vout_directx debug: DirectXEnumCallback: Primary Display Driver, display
vout_directx debug: screen dimensions (0x0,1280x1024)
vout_directx debug: DirectDraw Capabilities: overlay=1 yuvoverlay=1 can_deinterlace_overlay=1 colorkey=1 stretch=1 bltfourcc=1
vout_directx debug: align_boundary_src=0,0 align_boundary_dest=1,1 align_size_src=0,0 align_size_dest=0,0
vout_directx debug: End DirectXInitDDraw
vout_directx debug: DirectXCreateDisplay
vout_directx debug: DirectXCreateClipper
main debug: using video output module "vout_directx"
vout_directx debug: NewPictureVec overlay:yes chroma:YV12
main debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio"
main debug: thread 4088 (decoder) created at priority 2 (src/input/decoder.c:159)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
vout_directx debug: YUV overlay created successfully
vout_directx debug: End NewPictureVec (succeeded)
main debug: got 1 direct buffer(s)
main debug: picture in 480x480 (0,0,480x480), chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
main debug: picture user 480x480 (0,0,480x480), chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
main debug: picture out 480x480, chroma I420, ar 4:3, sar 4:3
main debug: direct render, mapping render pictures 0-6 to system pictures 1-7
main debug: thread 4080 (video output) created at priority 1 (src/video_output/video_output.c:466)
ty debug: parsing ty chunk #2
libmpeg2 warning: invalid picture encountered

useid200
01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Here are the latest VLC plugins for version .84.... I can't remember the thread where I found them so I am posting them here. Also, I have attached the series 2 version of vserver. I had a very hard time finding a version that worked. These two things along with VLC work great! If you are running from a local network then VLC works great by itself just type tivo://tivo_address/plist and then select a show or stream from the playlist.... awesome!

Hope this helps!

yagey
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Got it working today. A made a couple of tweaks, here for search reasons I guess:

No sound: The .ini file had MP3 for the codec instead of mp3. A global replace fixed this.

Not dying/killing: I'm on windows and the pskill wouldn't always work. I changed the line

echo "<p align=\"center\">".shell_exec($tyini["kill"])."<br />VLC killed. You may select another program.</p>";

to read:

echo shell_exec("taskkill /F /IM vlc.exe");
echo "<p align=\"center\">".shell_exec($tyini["kill"])."<br />VLC killed. You may select another program.</p>";

taskkill is a windows utility for killing processes. This way one or the other gets the process.

Thanks for a great utility, stealthdave rocks, vlc rocks and tivo rocks. :)

bhorstkotte
02-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone for all the clues that everyone provided in this thread. I hope the following might help some folks who have been struggling to get this working.

My setup is Windows XP Home, Apache 2.0.52 w/ SSL, PHP 5.1.2, and I used the VLC 8.1.4 binaries that someone attached earlier in this thread and also the VLC 8.1.4a from the vlc site (with no add-ins, since I guess at this point that stuff is all built in anyway), on two different clients. At this point everything seems to be working fine.

I get the list of shows correctly, but when I click on the VLC (or WMP) link I get a "Page not found" error (mmsh://localhost:8090/).

tystreamer.log only has the following line:

Quote:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

To fix the error that shows up in the log file (as useid200 suggested), in tystreamer.ini, use DOS filenames (no embedded spaces) to specify the VLC path:

vlc = "C:\PROGRA~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" ;; Windows

in tystreamer.php, comment out this line (no embedded spaces now, so don't need the quotes, which seem to confuse VLC):

I just noticed that when I launch the process manually vlc stays running in task manager but when I launch it from the web site the vlc process runs for a few seconds and then stops. anyone have any ideas?

This one took a couple hours of trial and error to figure out - go to your php.ini file, and change the following line (up the script memory limit from 8M to 32M - apparently spawned processes count towards that limit - VLC streaming takes about 20MB on my machine):

memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

When I click on the VLC hyperlink using IE, it takes me to a blank page with

mmsh://servername:8090 in the URL field

When I click on the VLC hyperlink using Firefox, a box pops up that says
"mmsh is not a registered protocol"

This one took some digging too - the mmsh protocol needs to be registered with Windows - here is a link that tells you how the general process works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/networking/pluggable/overview/appendix_a.asp.

...and attached is a .reg file that you can download and double-click to set up the required registry entries on XP (I assume the same on other Windows versions, but I only tested on XP). This makes the mmsh: protocol work correctly for both IE and Firefox. Note that this .reg file assumes the default VLC program location, you'll need to modify it if you installed to a different folder.

Oh, one more thing that confused me for a bit - since I'm familiar with ASP and JSP, but PHP is fairly new to me - if your PHP for tystreamer doesn't appear to be parsing correctly (variable names etc. show up in the browser output), make sure you have this set in php.ini:

short_open_tag = On

Now to go to work on my wish list: clean up the HTML/CSS, figure out why it takes 60 seconds to fire up the VLC stream (as opposed to instantly from the command line), show the name of the stream showing, change the login to a POST...

Thanks Stealthdave!!

bigcat400
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks for this tip. I am making some progress now. I can get audio now, but not video. Have the same issue w/ Ty2go. The issue goes away in Ty2Go with a new option MrNovice provided but requires high bandwidth so can't really use it over the web.

Have you seen this issue with any of your videos? What vlc/plugins combo are you using. I am using .82 with the official .82 plugins.

bhorstkotte
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for this tip. I am making some progress now. I can get audio now, but not video. Have the same issue w/ Ty2go. The issue goes away in Ty2Go with a new option MrNovice provided but requires high bandwidth so can't really use it over the web.

Have you seen this issue with any of your videos? What vlc/plugins combo are you using. I am using .82 with the official .82 plugins.

On the server, I installed the .84 that useid200 posted recently in this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246355&postcount=99); on my notebook, where I had previously installed VLC, I had the .84a version from the VLC site, with no additional plug-ins, and that turns out to work fine as well, I believe because the plug-ins have been brought into the base source code for VLC.

I haven't experienced the audio only problem you describe, but then I just got this working last night, so I've only tested with a few streams, and have only gotten low bandwidth (100K) to work, and that was only tested on my LAN, not over an internet connection. When I tried Medium and High bandwidth, the web browser just hung, killed it after about 15 minutes, tried it a few times. I did see that the VLC streaming process was running on the server, so not sure what's going on there.

One thing that I found useful while testing was to configure tystreamer.ini for testing, with the dummy program list, and printing out the stream / play commands - I replaced the program ID with a valid one, and started VLC streaming manually using that command line, and was able to manually connect to the mms:// stream from WMP and to the tivo:// stream from VLC, so I knew it was getting close - validated that there wasn't anything wrong with my vserver and WMP could at least play back the stream.

barney34
02-10-2006, 10:02 PM
vlc -vvv -I telnet ti://192.168.1.102/plist this command downloads the now playing list but vlc -vvv -I telnet ti://192.168.1.102/llist does not why does everyone post llist?

bhorstkotte
02-10-2006, 11:23 PM
vlc -vvv -I telnet ti://192.168.1.102/plist this command downloads the now playing list but vlc -vvv -I telnet ti://192.168.1.102/llist does not why does everyone post llist?

Because that is the command that tystreamer executes to get its now showing list. When I execute the following from the command line:

vlc -vvv -I telnet tivo://tivo/llist 2> out.txt

Here's what I end up with in out.txt (abbreviated):

VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\Brad\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Documents and Settings\Brad\Application Data/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\modules'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins'
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 210 modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file C:\Documents and Settings\Brad\Application Data/vlc/vlcrc
[00000508] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000508] main playlist debug: thread 6320 (playlist) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:183)
[00000509] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000509] main private debug: thread 6336 (preparser) created at priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:205)
[00000510] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
[00000360] main module debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
[00000510] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000510] main interface debug: thread 6360 (interface) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:211)
[00000508] main playlist debug: adding playlist item `tivo://tivo/llist' ( tivo://tivo/llist )
[00000511] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 4 candidates
[00000511] main interface: creating vlm
[00000512] main vlm debug: thread 6400 (vlm thread) created at priority 0 (src/misc/vlm.c:105)
[00000511] telnet interface: Using the VLM interface plugin...
[00000511] main interface debug: net: listening to port 4212
[00000511] telnet interface: Telnet interface started on interface 4212
[00000473] main module debug: using interface module "telnet"
[00000511] main interface debug: interface initialized
[00000511] main interface debug: thread 6520 (manager) created at priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:196)
[00000508] main playlist debug: creating new input thread
[00000513] main input debug: waiting for thread completion
[00000513] main input debug: thread 6548 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
[00000513] main input debug: `tivo://tivo/llist' gives access `tivo' demux `' path `tivo/llist'
[00000513] main input debug: creating demux: access='tivo' demux='' path='tivo/llist'
[00000514] main demuxer debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates
[00000514] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "tivo"
[00000513] main input debug: creating access 'tivo' path='tivo/llist'
[00000515] main access debug: looking for access2 module: 6 candidates
[00000515] vstream access debug: host 'tivo:8074', fsid 'llist'
[00000515] vstream access debug: opening net.
[00000515] main access debug: net: connecting to tivo port 8074
[00000515] main access debug: connection in progress
[00000515] vstream access debug: net open
[00000515] vstream access debug: super loaded.
[00000515] vstream access debug: zones loaded.
[00000515] vstream access debug: connected to host
[00000515] vstream access: |02/10/06|18:58|Live||4464675|3|
[00000515] vstream access: |02/10/06|18:58|Live||4464679|4|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/24/06|07:00|The 6th Day||4416612|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/21/06|02:36|Adrenalin||4407857|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/29/06|18:58|American Dad|Stan of Arabia|4400384|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |02/04/06|19:00|Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo|Snot in My Neighborhood|4416795|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/28/06|19:00|Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo|General Jelly Jiggler: Supreme Hair Enemy or Dastardly Dessert?|4399429|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |02/04/06|15:00|Booty Call||4386292|4|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/26/06|00:00|Cloned||4386202|4|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/25/06|00:40|Counterstrike||4386256|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |02/06/06|10:58|Creature Comforts||4464008|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/22/06|00:30|Disclosure||4386251|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |04/12/05|19:55|Dune||3519126|4|
[00000515] vstream access: |04/12/05|17:55|Dune||3519124|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |04/12/05|15:55|Dune||3519121|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/27/06|17:58|The Simpsons|The Dad Who Knew Too Little|4400378|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/26/06|23:28|The Simpsons|A Star Is Born Again|4386693|1|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/21/06|05:10|Turbulence||4386248|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |02/05/06|21:00|Who Wrote the Bible?||4460999|5|
[00000515] vstream access: |01/21/06|05:00|Wild Wild West||4407907|4|
[00000515] vcd access debug: trying .cue file: tivo/llist.cue
[00000515] access_file access warning: tivo/llist: No such file or directory
[00000515] cdda access debug: trying .cue file: tivo/llist.cue
[00000515] cdda access warning: could not open tivo/llist
[00000515] main access warning: no access2 module matching "tivo" could be loaded
[00000513] main input error: no suitable access module for `tivo://tivo/llist'
[00000513] main input debug: thread times: real 0m4.625000s, kernel 0m0.218750s, user 0m0.171875s
[00000513] main input debug: thread 6548 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
[00000508] main playlist: nothing to play

bhorstkotte
02-11-2006, 02:26 AM
To fix the 60 second delay between selecting a stream to show and when the browser goes to the "streaming now" page, change the following:

if ($test_vlc = fsockopen("localhost",4212))

to this:

$errno = 0;
$errstring = "";
if ($test_vlc = fsockopen("localhost",4212, $errno, $errstring, 2))

I guess the default timeout must be 60 seconds; this changes it to 2 seconds - YMMV, its plenty on my machine, it should probably be another .ini setting, defaulting to 2 or so.

For another little speedup, I tuned the "wait for VLC streaming to start before trying to connect to the stream" from 5 seconds to 2 - works OK for me, for up to a 640K stream (512 video + 128 audio), again, you might want to play with that number, or put it into another .ini parameter.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
var streamDelay = setTimeout("document.location.href = \"<?= $streamlink ?>\";",2000);
</script>

After these changes, firing up a stream went from taking over 60 seconds to about 15 seconds.

I also updated a couple lines, adding '&size=<?= $_REQUEST["size"]?>', so that when you kill a playing stream, the current bitrate selection is preserved:

when the program is finished, <a href="?password=<?= $_REQUEST["password"] ?>&size=<?= $_REQUEST["size"]?>">Click&nbsp;here</a>.</p>

<p align="center" style="width: 520px;">To halt streaming, <a href="?password=<?= $_REQUEST["password"] ?>&size=<?= $_REQUEST["size"]?>&action=kill">Click Here</a></p>

Also, as someone mentioned a couple pages back, the vbr and abr streamopts need to be changed from videobr and audiobr for the bitrate pulldown to work properly:

$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("audiobr",$streamopts))?",ab=".$streamopts["audiobr"]:",ab=64";
$stream_cmd .= (array_key_exists("videobr",$streamopts))?",vb=".$streamopts["videobr"]:",vb=256";

ttodd1
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Question can this be setup to stream from 2 tivos or can it only do 1? I'm thinking only one but..... I have been wrong before. :D

stealthdave
09-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Question can this be setup to stream from 2 tivos or can it only do 1? I'm thinking only one but..... I have been wrong before. :D

Right now it can only do one, but there's no reason that you couldn't modify it to be able to stream from multiple TiVos. In the mean time, TyStreamer is pretty small, so you could simply set up one web page for each TiVo (use separate folders as they're both looking for the same ini file name). You don't need to install the support files more than once; two instances can share them without issues.

ttodd1
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks that is kinda what I thought. Nice to have confirmation though.

markman07
10-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Summary -
IIE 5
VLC 8.4a
VLC Plugins .84
PHP 5.x
Win XP PRO
TIVO IP 192.168.1.151 (Directv Series 2)
Web Server 192.168.1.122
-----
I have read and re-read the thread. I have followd the instructions and change requests. I am currently at this stage.
Browsing the the tystreamer.php brings up the page fine. I put in my password and the page updates showing my shows from my tivo! Great so far.
I click the VLC link and it take a few and then says loading stream. VLC opens and appears to be accessing the stream mmsh://192.168.1.122:8090 (the web server). After a few seconds nothing. I view the messages in VLC and see this -

main error: cannot pre fill buffer
main warning: cannot create a stream_t from access
access_mms debug: closing stream
main debug: unlocking module "access_mms"
main debug: thread times: real 0m11.206113s, kernel 0m0.040057s, user 0m0.010014s
main debug: thread 6472 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
main warning: refcount is 1, delaying before deletion (id=512,type=-7)
main: nothing to play.
----------
Also my TCPVIEW (sysinternals.com) shows the process and its coomand is

C:\PROGRA~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe -V dummy --intf=telnet --telnet-password abc tivo://192.168.1.151/995599 ":sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,vcodec=DIV3,ab=64,vb=256,width=320,height=240,deinterlace}:std{access=mm sh,mux=asfh,url=:8090}" vlc:quit

Not sure where to go from here. Just a note -
I had setup VSERVER long ago and was using the VIEW links via Tivowebplus and that brings up VLC and the shows fine both back then and now! So I know Vserver and streaming does work. Not of course over the internet so that's why I want this to work ;-)

Please help me (if you can)..starting to lose my mind! :-)

ttodd1
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
OK can anyone tell me what causes this:
fixing i_body_offset (old=8070000 new=13068278)
It shows up in my tystreamer log file right after I get an error in Windows media player about not being able to perform the requested action (or something to that effect). It always seems to happen about 2:30 to 3:00 minutes into a show. Now I can stop media player and then click on the play button and it will start streaming where the stream is at at that point. I will miss everything from when it died to when I reconnect to the server. Then it will go for another 2 and half to 3 minutes and do it again.

Latest Apache and PHP on a FC5 pc. ANY suggestions would be great.

tmembrino
11-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I have Tystreamer running great with 2 S1 DirecTivo units. I just tried setting it up to work with a S2 DirecTivo with 6.2 installed. I get the show list and when I choose a show to stream I see the vlc process start and remain running on my XP box. But when VLC launches on the client I get no video or audio and the errors in the VLC messages log indicate there's no file for vlc to load. A sample of the VLC messages log is shown here (I've replaced my server domain name with servername here);

main debug: `mmsh://servername:8090/' gives access `mmsh' demux `' path `servername:8090/'
main debug: creating demux: access='mmsh' demux='' path='servername:8090/'
main debug: thread 3512 (input) created at priority 1 (src/input/input.c:230)
main warning: no access_demux module matched "mmsh"
main debug: creating access 'mmsh' path='servername:8090/'
main debug: net: connecting to 'servername:8090'
access_mms debug: HTTP reply 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK'
access_mms debug: stream type = broadcast
access_mms debug: complete header size=0
access_mms error: header size == 0
vcd debug: trying .cue file: servername.cue
access_file warning: cannot stat() file `servername:8090/' (No such file or directory)
cdda debug: trying .cue file: servername.cue
cdda warning: could not open servername:8090/
main warning: no access2 module matching "mmsh" could be loaded
main error: no suitable access module for `mmsh://servername:8090/'
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.670964s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: thread 3512 joined (src/input/input.c:386)

I'm using the unified binaries so I have that version of vserver running on the tivo. I've confirmed vserver is running properly (I can stream through Tivoweb on my LAN without problem).

Is this some incompatibility with Tystreamer and the 6.2 or unified binary version of vserver?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Figured it out. I was still using VLC 0.8.2 on the server side. I updated to VLC 0.8.4 and the r42 version of the Tivo VLC modules and it works great on my S2 box now.

enliteneer
02-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Ive installed vserver, cygwin, and vlc, but Im still having some issues getting tystreamer to work...

First, I verified vserver is working by locally streaming 'now playing' files from twp. No problems, it will play fine with vlc and with windows media player (I have tyshow installed).

Next, Ive configured the tystreamer.ini file for "Normal operation", entered my Tivo's name, pointed the vlc to the win vlc client (that has the tivo server plugins in the plugins folder), and pointed both the bash and the kill to the cygwin bin\bash folder. Strange, though, that there wasnt any configuration to tell it what IP address my tivo is at, nor the port that vserver is listening at. Although the xbox also knows how to find ccxservers on the lan, so this probably not the problem.

Anyways, I try to open the tystreamer.php file. by firing up firefox (the MS browser wont even try to open a php file), but the page looks completely garbled. Im guessing I need a server to be running even if the file resides locally.

So I added the Apache/Apache httpd2 packages from Cygwin, and I tried to start Apache, but I get a 'remap' error and it wont start.

At this point, Im not sure if Im going down the right path... Is there a way I can test to see if all the pieces are working first before delving into the mysterious and intimidating world of apache??

Update:
I have Apache 2.2.4 (Win32) and PHP 5.2.1 running on windows. The apache service monitor shows a green light, and can serve up html pages from outside my local network, no problemo. PHP pages, however, even though it says its running 5.2.1, it does not seem to properly format them. As a test, I downloaded a few index.php pages from around the net, saved them locally, and then I tried opening them up (localhost and via the internet)... it serves them up, I dont see any php code, but the text and images are in very different locations. It will show it as a list, for example, instead of showing it across like the original.

The reason I bring this up, is that tystreamer looks COMPLETELY off. As a matter of fact, the tystreamer.php page doesnt even fully display... most of the screen shows up as php code! Even more strange is that after a few seconds (or after entering the password from tystreamer.ini) the page automatically reloads and goes to white with the message:"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /< on this server." With other php pages it doesnt show code and tries to at least interpret the php, but not with tystreamer. Could it be that tystreamer is not compatible with PHP 5.2.1 running on windows?