PDA

View Full Version : guide begging (split from: DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION)

sWampy
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
It just looks like someone would make a post that gave step by step instructions for a clean 6.2 install. Something like:

Get your favorite linux boot cd.

Get mfs tools from http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/

Get 6.2 from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216601&postcount=36

Get kernel from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38573

get killhdinitrd from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177100&postcount=1

Get Series 2 utils from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182691&postcount=1

Get Super Patch from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222136&postcount=1

Untar/unzip/extract/burn above to a CD. (step by step instructions would be nice)

Put new drive in as primary master, put cd/dvd on 2nd controller as master, boot linux cd.

Eject cd, stick in your burned cd.

mkdir /mnt/tools
mkdir /mnt/tivoroot
mkdir /mnt/tivovar
Mount with mount /dev/hdc /mnt/tools.

cd /mnt/tools/mfstools

./mfstools restore -i -x /mnt/tools/62small.mft /dev/hda
cp /mnt/vmlinux.px /
/mnt/killhdinitrd vmlinux.px

Below here I'm not sure at all.
dd if=/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3

mount /dev/hda? /mnt/tivoroot
mount /dev/hda? /mnt/tivovar

modify rc files to enable bash/telnet

cp utils/superpatch to /var

There are tons of people that would rather spend their time hacking our xbox/gamecube/nindendo ds/psp rather than reading hundreds of threads rebooting/reinstalling drives/etc just to try to figure out how to get our caller id back on the tv. :)

aristoBrat
05-12-2005, 02:31 PM
There are tons of people that would rather spend their time hacking our xbox/gamecube/nindendo ds/psp rather than reading hundreds of threads rebooting/reinstalling drives/etc just to try to figure out how to get our caller id back on the tv. :)
And there are tons of people who would rather not spend THEIR time sifting through 1000 "I NEED HELP" posts from people who don't have a basic understanding of the process that ran into problems upgrading using a guide.

The answers are all out there.

sWampy
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
And there are tons of people who would rather not spend THEIR time sifting through 1000 "I NEED HELP" posts from people who don't have a basic understanding of the process that ran into problems upgrading using a guide.

The answers are all out there.
That's total horse crap. If someone would just put out a guide, there wouldn't be 2 billion questions of how do I do this, people would read the guide. Hinsdale guide doesn't lead to a bunch of questions, it explains how to do it. 2 how to's could eliminate 99% of the posts here, a step by step how to upgrade an already hacked tivo to 6.2 and a seperate one on how to take a virgin drive and get it to the point that 6.2 is installed and with bash/telnet. There are plenty of faqs on everything else. I can't see a reason in the world you would think it's a good thing to force people to read through 50+ pages of posts with a 50/50 mix of wrong/right information to accomplish something that could be done in one screen that could easily be debugged. I can understand Microsoft wanting thousands of different configurations of windows cause they charge for support, and charge to educate people. But here I would think the goal would be to get everyone's system as close to the same as possible so time could be better spent fixing real problems or adding features, rather than adding 3 more pages to a thread to figure out someone for got step 7 on page 34 of the thread. Thank god Linus Torvalds, Nicola Salmoria and Andrew Huang didn't follow this philosophy.

alldeadhomiez
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
That's total horse crap. If someone would just put out a guide

Another pointless guide begging troll.. how original. :rolleyes:

Split to Sewer.

PS - Please stop crossposting.

psxboy
05-12-2005, 04:02 PM
That's total horse crap. If someone would just put out a guide, there wouldn't be 2 billion questions of how do I do this, people would read the guide.
Then how do you explain the extremely large "xxx Guide Support" threads?

-psxboy

Scott D
05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Actually, he does have a point. There are a lot of people out there who don't know computers, especially Linux, very well. Is it really that difficult to answer the question rather than beating around the bush? Case in point. If I ask you how do yo extract a file using your favorite binary means and you say do a search on it. The answer is out there. What? You don't know the answer? Are you to proud to tell them right there this is what it means and this is how to do it.

Think about it. Would you like it if we treated you that way? Who knows. He might be in a world of hurt and needs an immediate answer.

Oh. the Hinsdale site never lead me down a wrong path. Simple instructions anyone can understand. The real problem here is you're speaking in a form as if you think everybody knows exactly what you're talking about. Even if we read the EXACT page with the answer to our questions, has it ever occured to you that the answer may be too technical for us to understand? Then when we re-post to ask what the hell did that mean, we get the same treatment. Do a search, the answer is out there.

PlainBill
05-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Actually, he does have a point. There are a lot of people out there who don't know computers, especially Linux, very well. Is it really that difficult to answer the question rather than beating around the bush? Case in point. If I ask you how do yo extract a file using your favorite binary means and you say do a search on it. The answer is out there. What? You don't know the answer? Are you to proud to tell them right there this is what it means and this is how to do it.

Think about it. Would you like it if we treated you that way?

Oh. the Hinsdale site never lead me down a wrong path. Simple instructions anyone can understand. The real problem here is you're speaking in a form as if you think everybody knows exactly what you're talking about. Even if we read the EXACT page with the answer to our questions, has it ever occured to you that the answer may be too technical for us to understand? Then when we re-post to ask what the hell did that mean, we get the same treatment. Do a search, the answer is out there.

You're missing the point. The answers are here. They have been posted many times, at all levels of complexity. And the same questions are asked over and over and over again. Read the current posts in the "Weethet "TiVo 4.x for DirecTiVo" thread in the Newbie forum. The guy doesn't even understand what the commands he has already used do, and he's asking the same questions over and over again. How many time are we supposed to tell someone to use ' mount -o remount,rw / ' to mount a drive read/write?

If someone wants their hand held, they should get a girlfriend. If they want to learn, most of us are willing to help.

PlainBill

hayreass
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
That's total horse crap. If someone would just put out a guide, there wouldn't be 2 billion questions of how do I do this, people would read the guide.http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42798

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39680

Just a couple of examples of this 'horse crap'

Over 800 posts between them right now.

captain_video
05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
That's total horse crap. If someone would just put out a guide, there wouldn't be 2 billion questions of how do I do this, people would read the guide.
I have yet to see a guide posted that still didn't have a multitude of "How do I do this" questions simply because the reader didn't want to take a little time and use the search button. DDB is a hacking forum, not a teaching forum. Everything you need to hack your Tivo is here but it's up to you to figure out how to use it. The newbies section has tons of info to get you started but it requires some effort on your part.

If you're looking for instant gratification then look elsewhere. If you want to learn how to hack your Tivo then roll up your sleeves, turn on the night light, and put on a pot of coffee because you've got a lot of reading to do. There's a limit to everyone's patience when the same questions keep getting asked time and time again, which is why you see so many posts that simply tell the poster to search. DDB is a hands-on, not a handholding, forum so suck it up and deal with it.

JJBliss
05-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Actually, he does have a point. There are a lot of people out there who don't know computers, especially Linux, very well.
Find another hobby

He might be in a world of hurt and needs an immediate answer.
Find another hobby

The real problem here is you're speaking in a form as if you think everybody knows exactly what you're talking about.
Find another hobby

Even if we read the EXACT page with the answer to our questions, has it ever occured to you that the answer may be too technical for us to understand?
DEFINITELY find another hobby

Scott D
05-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Yes I do understand the point. My main concern is the details. Sometimes you might need to be less technical in the explanations. I did find the instructions on how to install the superpatch-67all but one detail wasn't clear to me. What is extracting the patch using your favorite binary way? Why not just say, "Extract the patch using this program" or whatever it is that he used? Like I said, I don't fully understand Linux, but I'm getting better at it. Sure, I can type in the commands provided to me all day long, but if I don't use the right tool, nothing will get done. I am willing to work with you, but the reverse is a good idea too! :)

Oh, and yes. I did find the TiVo 4.x upgrade site you spoke of. I would have no problems upgrading it. With those directions and getting hands on usage, I'll then have a better understanding as to what you're talking about. Besides, "Go find another hobby" is most definitely the wrong thing to say. Very rude. If I can't act that way without getting banned, I feel everybody shouldn't act that way either. As I said. I'll work with you via rules and guidlines in a professional manner. Not by sarcasm. I did nothing to deserve that.

I don't know the full story about the origional poster, but what I do know is that kind of behaviour won't get you anywhere.

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Sometimes you might need to be less technical in the explanations.

That's not your decision to make.

If you don't like the level of technical detail here, find another hobby.

JJBliss
05-14-2005, 11:28 AM
My main concern is the details. Sometimes you might need to be less technical in the explanations.
Uh, No. This is a technical forum. Not a non-technical forum. If you'd like to participate in a non-technical forum, try www.tivocommunity.com

Like I said, I don't fully understand Linux, but I'm getting better at it.
Then you might have a better time hacking your Tivo. Until then, try to find a forum that caters to folks who don't fully understand Linux, but are getting better at it. This forum isn't it.

Besides, "Go find another hobby" is most definitely the wrong thing to say.
Unless it is sound solid advice.

Very rude.
Sorry you took it that way. See above.

As I said. I'll work with you via rules and guidlines in a professional manner.
Our rules and guidelines say that you need to have a basic understanding of Linux, be a self motivated learner, and do most of the research on your own. If you cannot follow these rules and guidelines in a professional manner then maybe this is not the forum/hobby for you. Still, not a rude thing to say.

Scott D
05-14-2005, 11:59 AM
If you cannot follow these rules and guidelines in a professional manner then maybe this is not the forum/hobby for you. Still, not a rude thing to say.

You did say follow guidelines in a professional manner? Does that exclude you? :confused:

As I said. I'll work with you via rules and guidlines in a professional manner. Not by sarcasm. I did nothing to deserve that.

I pointed out to you and everybody else that this was what I intended to do.

Sorry you took it that way.

Somehow, I doubt that. :eek:

If you feel you need to win this little argument, then so be it. Personally, since the professionalism is just not here in this post, I wouuld like to request that you keep your harsh comments to yourself unless you can show me where I went wrong with valid reasons. Being limited in the ability to use Linux is no excuse to drill me in forum behaviour.

Besides, now I know why certain people are snotty in the TiVo community site. Hmmmmmm. Maybe because they came from here. :rolleyes:

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 12:43 PM
You did say follow guidelines in a professional manner? Does that exclude you? :confused:

What do you consider unprofessional about informing you how the board works?

Besides, now I know why certain people are snotty in the TiVo community site. Hmmmmmm. Maybe because they came from here. :rolleyes:

Most TCF members don't hang out here. It's a whole different crowd. But one thing we DO have in common with them is that we both get our fair share of smart-mouthed trolls who show up and start telling us how to run our community.

Do ya know anyone like that?

Shaun
05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
sWampy/Scott D,

At first, I had some issues with the prevailing attitude of the moderators and senior members here. However, in time, you will see that they are right. I will admit that as a newb it is easy to get bogged down with a lot of crap posts (many of them because people didn't do their homework to begin with) and end up in linux-hell like I did for 3 days. My problem was not being able to tell what was obsolete and also following bad guides that didn't apply to my machine or my software version.
Truth is even if someone posted a perfect step by step guide with every detail covered someone would goof it up. Or, something would change and render the guide obsolete - but it is still out there without an obsolete disclaimer. Hence the need to understand what you are messing with since most of the things discussed here go beyond restoring an image with Hinsdale's guide.

Do your homework. If you have a question that you know isn't covered elsewhere then ask it.

Last point - the gurus that spend their time figuring out tivo stuff and posting here are not paid tech support. Respect their time and efforts.

Scott D
05-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Last point - the gurus that spend their time figuring out tivo stuff and posting here are not paid tech support. Respect their time and efforts.

Be careful now. For starters, I only said sWampy had some good points. It's not my fault that this site won't use them or whatever. Nor did I agree on everything he said. I can say for sure that it appeared he was looking for an easy way out. As said earlier. Holding him by the hand and him cursing.

Furthermore, I do respect what those people have done on their own time. However, explain to me how or why I should respect someone of whom I feel is being snotty towards me? If they are not, my apologies out to them only if they tell me so.

Seems to me that you want me to respect them because they can hack a TiVo AND because of that, it give them the right to be snotty. Is that what you are saying?

If you have a question that you know isn't covered elsewhere then ask it.

That's just it. Even if you KNEW, for sure without a shadow of a doubt, it is almost certain that the answer won't be given right then. The generic reply of "the answer is out there" will be given instead. I know this to be true, especially here in this forum. They say for me to go to the "other" forum to get my questions answered. You know what? the same treatment is over there too. If you don't like our forum, then leave. No difference. Same thing there as it is here. The point is, they normally don't want to answer the question, just piss us off. Not everybody, just a select few.

hayreass
05-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Seems to me that you want me to respect them because they can hack a TiVo AND because of that, it give them the right to be snotty. Is that what you are saying?I think the point is that you don't go to another mans house and disrespect him.

When you come here, you need to respect the senior members and mods because it is THEIR house, whether they deserve respect or not.

If you don't like how they run their household, you can always leave, just like real life.

You don't just walk into another mans house and tell him what to do, and not expect repercussions.

Scott D
05-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Still, If you don't want to be treated disrespectfully, don't treat others disrespectfully.

I think the point is that you don't go to another mans house and disrespect him.

I think you got the wrong guy here.

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 02:36 PM
They say for me to go to the "other" forum to get my questions answered. You know what? the same treatment is over there too. If you don't like our forum, then leave. No difference. Same thing there as it is here.

An astute observer would notice a trend here. Perhaps I can help you understand:

These sites are run by private individuals, for their own enjoyment. They aren't run by the gubment or funded by taxes or anything like that. If you don't like the way they are run, leave. Nobody wants to listen to you whine and complain all day long. You and sWampy can nail your 95 theses on somebody else's door, because we're just plain not interested in what you have to say.

Are you clear on this now?

Scott D
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe you need to tell me where I'm disobeying the rules. I gave a suggestion and had it thrown back into my face. How can one enjoy themselves in here with this treatment?

Please explain in great detail why you are against me please.

Jamie
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Please explain in great detail why you are against me please.Because you are clearly a troll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)?

Scott D
05-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Whatever, You win. I guess expressing your viewpoints is not allowed in here.

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Who's stopping you?

Scott D
05-14-2005, 03:53 PM
To my knowledge, you are. Among others. I can't compete with you.

All I want is to get along. Throw some suggestions out there. Contribute a little.

Don't seem like it's going to happen. I love to learn what you have learned, but all I need is a kickstart to get going. Nowadays, I am very good at adding new hard drives to increase recording capacities. I thought this was the place to learn more about hacking. I want to grow in this area. The more I use these procedures you do as far as the many hacks you have, just by doing it once, I'll get the hang of it.

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
To my knowledge, you are. Among others. I can't compete with you.

How exactly have I stopped you from expressing your viewpoints?

All I want is to get along. Throw some suggestions out there. Contribute a little.

Then start writing code, and stop telling us how to run the site.

I love to learn what you have learned, but all I need is a kickstart to get going.

Bring your own kickstart. Tony Robbins doesn't work here.

mrblack51
05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Truth is even if someone posted a perfect step by step guide with every detail covered someone would goof it up. Or, something would change and render the guide obsolete - but it is still out there without an obsolete disclaimer.

the funny thing is that when a guide gets marked as outdated (the term used lately is deprecated, due to it being eclipsed by other tools/methods), people get up in arms and call it a conspiracy. ugh, cant seem to please everyone

Scott D
05-14-2005, 05:40 PM

You just answered you own question. Just look how you responded to me. I was thinking for a minute that you were trying to patch things up but when I say your last post, I guess not.

It is obvious that you and your select few can't answer a simple question. You are notorious about it. Like to put words in other people's mouths.

1. You don't want to get along.
2. You like to rule others and be rude.
3. If someone is not up to your standards, you harrass them.
4. You apparently attempted to lure me back into this place to abuse me. (not again, I'm on to you.) and
5. It seems to me you have no intentions on helping the non Linux people.

Like I said, I can't win. You got the last word (even if you feel you must type some kind of derogatory remarks. Have at it.

You go and have a nice day...... Not!

Scott D
05-14-2005, 05:42 PM
You probably can't do it but show me where I'm telling you how to run this site.

PlainBill
05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
On the contrary, within very broad limits, you are free to express any opinions you want here. I myself have publicly disagreed with the moderators - something that is NOT allowed on many forums. It is even possible to insult other members without getting banned.

What is NOT possible is to come in here, tell us how the board should be run, and have the ideas accepted. Others have tried, and failed. It's not that the management refuses to change - I have seen a number of changes here in the past years - but that they refuse to make a change that would alter the purpose of the board.

If you want to take up a new hobby (hacking a TiVo), like to learn MOST things yourself, and are prepared to spend some time teaching yourself, most people here are glad to give you a hand.

If you want someone to write a customized step by step procedure, well my offer (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214858&postcount=18) is still open.

If you want to tell us how the board should be run, don't expect a friendly reception.

PlainBill

captain_video
05-14-2005, 05:57 PM
You know, if you keep pissing on the mods you'll eventually get yourself put in time out or even banned permanently. They have better things than to banter with your whining. If you want to learn how to hack your Tivo then get over it and then get on with what you came here to do. The fact is, you're biting the hands that feed all of us. Public forums are not necessarily democracies and if you don't like the way this one is run then please leave (note that I did say please). You will NEVER win an argument with a mod and continuing to do so will only end badly for you. A little humility will go a long way towards obtaining your goal.

Scott D
05-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks, PlainBill. Very well understood.

As of this time, I'm not asking for particular help but it's nice to know that there are people out there that will attempt to lead you in the right direction. Furthermore have I NEVER told this site how to run this board. All I said was that sWampy had some valid points. Not once did I say, this is how you should operate things around here. What I did do is throw a suggestion out there. Did anyone consider this thought of mine? A nicer response would be "We'll look into your suggestion" or "we tried that, it didn't work." I will stress this out one more time....By no means was I telling you what to do with your board and how I feel it should be run.

captain_video....

If you want to learn how to hack your Tivo then get over it and then get on with what you came here to do.

Allright, Im over it now. Whew. Will you teach me how to hack? Show me some tricks of the trade? Maybe some neat areas to read about some interesting topics?

Now please (it's my turn to say please) don't accuse me of something I didn't do. Respect and humility goes both ways. From what I understand of what you are saying, humility is a one way street.

Lost Dog
05-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Allright, Im over it now. Whew. Will you teach me how to hack? Show me some tricks of the trade? Maybe some neat areas to read about some interesting topics?

Now please (it's my turn to say please) don't accuse me of something I didn't do. Respect and humility goes both ways. From what I understand of what you are saying, humility is a one way street.

I don't mean to be rude or just jump in to the conversations but...

Tricks of the trade:

Step 1:
Shut up for a little while and take the conversation out of the sewer. The longer you're in here the longer you'll own an unhacked TiVo.

Step 2:
Identify your goal. What are you trying to do? What are you wanting to accomplish?

Step 3:
Site search.

Step 4:
Search within thread.

Step 5.
Read.

Step 6.
Read more.

captain_video
05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Start by reading through the sticky threads, especially the ones in the newbie forum. Start off simple and learn some basic Linux commands. You don't need to be a Linux expert but you will need to become familiar with the basics. Decide what kind of Tivo you're looking to hack as well as the OS version it contains and take it from there.

There is no single place or any one guide that you can be pointed to, mainly because any "guides" that are developed become quickly outdated due to the fast developments that occur with this hobby. They also tend to be created by newbies that are just learning how to hack Tivos themselves and generally contain errors that will lead other newbies down the wrong path, resulting in untold quantities of questions asking for support when the guide doesn't work as advertised. This is why you see so much negativity from the elder spokesmen when guides are mentioned.

Your best bet is to do a ton of reading and bookmark any threads or posts that contain useful info. I like to print them out to keep hard copies for fast and easy reference. Do whatever works best for you. Whatever route you choose to take, always remember to make a backup of your Tivo drive before you start hacking because you will probably screw it up somewhere along the way and need something to fall back on. Better yet, get a different drive to restore the backup image to and perform the hacks on it so you can keep the original drive in a safe place should you ever need to restore it to its original configuration.

alldeadhomiez
05-14-2005, 10:06 PM

You just answered you own question. Just look how you responded to me. I was thinking for a minute that you were trying to patch things up but when I say your last post, I guess not.

I have nothing to "patch up" or apologize for. I have taken time out of my day to help you understand exactly how things operate here.

Correct, if you have no interest in teaching yourself Linux basics, you are out of luck. Enjoy your stock TiVo.

Just one last question:

You seem to want everything spoon-fed to you. That's fine, some people don't like to think for themselves or do a lot of reading to get things working.

But tell me this: why would you assume that members of a hacking community want to change the way they run their site to accommodate people like you and "sWampy"?

After reading the stickies and warnings, do you really think you're in our target demographic?

Do you really think this community would benefit from having more members who don't want to learn anything or solve problems on their own?

JJBliss
05-14-2005, 10:26 PM

You just answered you own question.
DUDE. You keep responding. No one has stopped you, censored you, or banned you. Jeez.. Do you need to coddled to feel like you are expressing your feelings?

It is obvious that you and your select few can't answer a simple question. You are notorious about it. Like to put words in other people's mouths.

Um, sorta like saying that we are somehow stopping you from expressing yourself?

1. You don't want to get along.
We get along with each other just fine.

2. You like to rule others and be rude.
Don't like too... It's just part of the job

3. If someone is not up to your standards, you harrass them.
If someone is not up to our standards, they likely feel harrased. Self esteem is a had thing to learn.

4. You apparently attempted to lure me back into this place to abuse me. (not again, I'm on to you.) and
Trust me, no one is attempting to "lure you back into this place"

You realized that all by yourself? :rolleyes:

Like I said, I can't win. You got the last word (even if you feel you must type some kind of derogatory remarks. Have at it.
There was nothing derogatory in anything that ANYONE said. Get over it.

You go and have a nice day...... Not!
:rolleyes: