PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Information - Split from: (Walkthrough for upgrading to 6.2 on already hacked unit)

SpoonsJTD
05-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm no expert, but shouldn't you tell folks to put the correct number in for the hardware they are running? 101 may work for you, but 151 is what I should use.

EDIT: Apparently, something I did in parallel (although for the life of me, I have no idea what it could have been because I did nothing else) messed up the original partition when I ran the script, because it wouldn't boot from the original either. Apparently, this isn't always the case, and obviously, if you can still boot the tivo, it will be much easier to fix. See follow up posts for this info.

Long time lurker, first time poster (I think, been a while).

If you should run the script with the wrong hardware version number, and hose your tivo, which it will, not that I know from experience, because blindly following guides is something other people do ...

To repair (Warning -- these are very general. If you learned nothing else from the experience of hosing your tivo, you should have learned to research and read before doing anything to it. Also, this assumes you didn't make a backup, which is much easier to restore from, but if you did, you don't need these instructions. 80GB of shows was daunting for me to backup, but rest assured I will in the future.):

Get another hard drive
Put 6.2 on it the right way
dd the kernel and root partition from your new 6.2 drive to the kernel and root partition that was created (incorrectly) on your old drive
Reinsert and reboot and wait the hour or so for the upgrade to complete

SpoonsJTD
05-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Wrong!. The information is in the MFS database. The simple way is to edit installSw.itcl and reinstall using the CORRECT software number. Alternatively, someone brilliant (alldeadhomiez?) posted a script to change the mfs database; I'll post the link if I find it.

Mods, can SpoonsJTD post be moved to the sewer where it and he belong?

PlainBill

Except after running the script with the wrong hw version number, my tivo wouldn't boot from either partition, making it somewhat difficult to rerun the script.

I'm going back to lurking. I must say, this is one of the most hostile internet groups I've ever seen. Wrong? Is a hard way the wrong way? I spent three partial days getting to where I did try to repair a tivo that wouldn't boot from either partition and I thought I'd share. I feel sorry for people who need to relieve their insecurities by using the anonymity of the internet to give them a mechanism to be a bully when real life doesn't. Don't even get me started on how a threaded discussion forum is quite possibly one of the worst mechanisms for capturing evolving knowledge, especially when coupled with search mechanisms that are crippled by today's technology standards.

Thinkdiff
05-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Except after running the script with the wrong hw version number, the tivo wouldn't boot from either partition, making it somewhat difficult to rerun the script.

I'm going back to lurking, the natives are a bit too anal, which I should have known from reading the many posts. I'll just pick up my Coke bottle and be on my way back to normal, nice folk.

They are "anal" when you spread INCORRECT information as FACT. That is absolutely not the right thing to do. You're welcome to post, but just about the worst thing you can do is post incorrect information and make it seem like you know it for truth.

SpoonsJTD
05-20-2005, 12:42 AM
They are "anal" when you spread INCORRECT information as FACT. That is absolutely not the right thing to do. You're welcome to post, but just about the worst thing you can do is post incorrect information and make it seem like you know it for truth.

There is mechanism #1 which is easy. There is mechanism #2 which is harder but works. There must be different definitions of 'wrong' and 'incorrect' going around. I used 'anal' (which I simul-edited out, you were awfully fast) because of the ad hominem attack.

NutKase
05-20-2005, 02:38 AM
There is mechanism #1 which is easy. There is mechanism #2 which is harder but works. There must be different definitions of 'wrong' and 'incorrect' going around. I used 'anal' (which I simul-edited out, you were awfully fast) because of the ad hominem attack.

3 posts.

You've posted (#1), been corrected (#2), and tried to revise your history (#3)...

Nice record.

NutKase

PlainBill
05-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I think I should apologise for assuming you were deliberately giving bad advice. It's obvious now you weren't doing this on purpose.

Using the incorrect hardware identifier when upgrading software will NOT cause a boot failure - no way, no how, never. Something else went wrong, causing the system to refuse to boot - obviously corruption in the software partitions. Again, the boot and root partitions on all versions of 6.2 (unhacked) are identical (except for /etc/fstab, which will point to either /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7). All hardware specific information is stored in the MFS database.

Copying the software partitions from a good drive to a non-working drive is one method of fixing bad software, one I've used and recommended myself.

PlainBill

SpoonsJTD
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
I apologize too for my follow-ups. You are right, something else must have gone wrong. The sewer comment (about me, not the post) and the lack of sleep from having a week-old baby keeping us up set me off a bit, sorry.

I think I should apologise for assuming you were deliberately giving bad advice. It's obvious now you weren't doing this on purpose.

Using the incorrect hardware identifier when upgrading software will NOT cause a boot failure - no way, no how, never. Something else went wrong, causing the system to refuse to boot - obviously corruption in the software partitions. Again, the boot and root partitions on all versions of 6.2 (unhacked) are identical (except for /etc/fstab, which will point to either /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7). All hardware specific information is stored in the MFS database.

Copying the software partitions from a good drive to a non-working drive is one method of fixing bad software, one I've used and recommended myself.

PlainBill

SpoonsJTD
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
3 posts.

You've posted (#1), been corrected (#2), and tried to revise your history (#3)...

Nice record.

NutKase

Actually, I wasn't revising history, I was rewriting a message I posted in haste that was replied to faster than I could revise it.

PlainBill
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I apologize too for my follow-ups. You are right, something else must have gone wrong. The sewer comment (about me, not the post) and the lack of sleep from having a week-old baby keeping us up set me off a bit, sorry.
The lack of sleep is temporary. It'll be resolved about the time the baby starts college...

PlainBill

justmike
05-20-2005, 06:45 PM
The lack of sleep is temporary. It'll be resolved about the time the baby starts college...PlainBill

But then the come home for the summer and want to live in your house like they did in the dorm and you still don't get any sleep! :eek:

:cool:

NutKase
05-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Actually, I wasn't revising history, I was rewriting a message I posted in haste that was replied to faster than I could revise it.

Nonetheless, bad form.

NutKase

SpoonsJTD
05-20-2005, 09:19 PM
The lack of sleep is temporary. It'll be resolved about the time the baby starts college...

PlainBill

We just started getting some sleep from the first one who is now 3. At least this one isn't up every 2 hours during the night like that one was.

College. Reason #148 why I really can't afford the HD DirecTivo, even at it's newly reduced cost.

PlainBill
05-21-2005, 12:19 AM
But then the come home for the summer and want to live in your house like they did in the dorm and you still don't get any sleep! :eek:

:cool:

Yes, but that stage is eventually followed by .... Grandchildren!!! Makes a lot of the other stuff worth it.

I'm not sure which is more rewarding: Seeing the Grandkids drive the kids nuts the same way the kids drove us nuts; or spoiling the grandkids and giving them back. "Grandpa gave me a computer and lets me play on it. Why can't I play on Daddy's computer?"

PlainBill

captain_video
05-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Grandkids are the stage whereby the kids finally get a clue and realize that Mom and Dad really did know what they were talking about. Unfortunately for them it's too late and now they have to deal with it, much to the delight of Grandparents around the world (especially if the little tyke is just like their parents). ;)