PDA

View Full Version : Joe over serial under windows

BTUxNine
05-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I've tried a few different terminal emulators with no joy.

Has anyone found a freeware windows emulator that handles xterm well enough for joe, or is it necessary to replace/amend termcap?

rc3105
05-28-2005, 05:10 AM
tera term pro (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html) works nicely

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I thought you banned yourself?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/member.php?u=8075

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173412#post173412

Should this be considered ban evasion?

Do you think we would forget?

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 06:00 PM
I thought you banned yourself?

If this was "ban evasion" do you think I would have chosen this nick? And does this have anything to do with the topic? Or something to be discussed in public, for that matter? (I can only think of one reason to be bringing this up publicly)

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 06:04 PM
tera term pro (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html) works nicely
Then there must be something wrong with my setup (but I can't figure what) because teraterm pro is one of the terminal emulators I tried, and I'm unable to get joe to function properly.

Do you set anything special in the environment or in joerc?

joe works just fine from telnet, so it's got to be something serial-specific.

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 06:21 PM
If this was "ban evasion" do you think I would have chosen this nick?
An account with a similar name logs in from the same IP address AFTER the orignal account has been banned. Sounds like ban evasion to me.

And does this have anything to do with the topic?
You are a permanently banned user (self imposed might I add), therefore you have no rights on this forum.

Or something to be discussed in public, for that matter? (I can only think of one reason to be bringing this up publicly)
You publically self-banned yourself about a year ago after a very public heated debate to show your distaste for dealdatabase, and it's management (see link above). Now you're back to ask for help. Sounds like something that need to be brought up. Did you think I'd forget?

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 06:33 PM
1) My signature was changed to self-banned because I didn't want people to think I was banned by the administrators.

2) If I am permanently banned, then what was my unforgivable crime?

3) In the post you keep referring to, I said I may come back.

4) You continue to hold this discussion in a public forum where you can insult me all you want, but I'm unallowed to express myself in such a manner.

5) My "banning" followed a request from me to delete my account.

6) You KNOW all of this, and yet you continue to make me out as someone trying to get around the rules. Do you REALLY believe that if this were the case, I'd be returning with a nearly identical nickname? It would have been trivial to do so, and many others HAVE done so to evade a ban, but I WASN'T BANNED... I asked for the account to be deleted, and since there was no mechanism to do so and leave the posts (I assume) the easiest thing to do was ban the account.

7) If I AM banned from this site permanently, do me the courtesy of telling me why.

(yes, 2 and 7 are the same... I'm a bit upset at the moment, and more concerned with expressing myself than elegance)

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
1) My signature was changed to self-banned because I didn't want people to think I was banned by the administrators.
Yet you asked that your account be deleted, in order to permanently note your having left to the rest of the community, we did not delete your account, rather you were banned.

2) If I am permanently banned, then what was my unforgivable crime?
You were permanently banned at your own request, though your actions would have gotten you there eventually anyway. Your crime may very well not be unforgivable though I don't remember you asking for forgiveness.

3) In the post you keep referring to, I said I may come back.
Correct. You said that you might come back if the "if there are rules to stop the abuse of power, but that doesn't seem likely." Since this never happened, you are in violation of the rules of your self imposed ban.

4) You continue to hold this discussion in a public forum where you can insult me all you want, but I'm unallowed to express myself in such a manner.
There has been NO insult. The fact that I have not banned this new account that you are using to evade your original ban indicates that, for the time being, I am allowing you to express yourself.

5) My "banning" followed a request from me to delete my account.
So you [b]DO[/quote] know why you were permanently banned. Your first two questions seemed to indicate that you didn't know/understand why you were banned. Apparently you do.

6) You KNOW all of this, and yet you continue to make me out as someone trying to get around the rules. Do you REALLY believe that if this were the case, I'd be returning with a nearly identical nickname? It would have been trivial to do so, and many others HAVE done so to evade a ban, but I WASN'T BANNED... I asked for the account to be deleted, and since there was no mechanism to do so and leave the posts (I assume) the easiest thing to do was ban the account.
You were banned. Clear and simple. Now you return. The same user, attempting to access a site you were banned from. Is there anything else I need to know?

7) If I AM banned from this site permanently, do me the courtesy of telling me why.
See above.

If you'd like to apologize for asking that your account be deleted and express that you'd again like to participate in this forum that you obviously need while following the rules you so vehemently disagreed with a year ago you may come back. Otherwise, you are unwelcome.

Moved to Sewer.

darrin75
05-28-2005, 07:06 PM
BTUxNine,

Don't fight the system that helps all of us. Trust me i Know.. Just get over your self and say sorry and lets all get along.. If my comments are not welcome forgive me. I just wanted to express to btuxnine that i was banned once and finally got to looking and sure enough i deserved it, but I sad i was sorry for the things i sad or did. Speaking out of anger will only get you banned, then when you later think about it, its to late. So don't make the same mistake twice. Learn from it move on.. :)

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Yet another rule that nobody is told about until someone breaks it:
Requesting for an account to be deleted is grounds for a permanent ban.

And yet, I wasn't told that when I requested the account be deleted. In fact, Vadim told me I could come back if I changed my mind.

You said that you might come back if the "if there are rules to stop the abuse of power, but that doesn't seem likely." Since this never happened, you are in violation of the rules of your self imposed ban.
It's nice you ADMIT there's nothing to stop the abuse of power. And my using the words self-banned implies forever how? And I'm not allowed to change my mind because? I decided that I would be able to return, despite the lack of rules, in a limited way.

And, as I've said over and Over and OVER, the ban followed my request for a deleted account. My assumption was that deleting the account and removing the posts wasn't possible, so the ban was used.

If you believe that the request for account deletion is justification for lifetime ban (with no warning or precedent) then have done with it and ban this account.

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
i was banned once and finally got to looking and sure enough i deserved it
You may have deserved it, I wouldn't know. If what I have done is deserving of a ban, then I'd like to know why. I think I deserve that much.

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Yet another rule that nobody is told about until someone breaks it:
Requesting for an account to be deleted is grounds for a permanent ban.

And yet, I wasn't told that when I requested the account be deleted. In fact, Vadim told me I could come back if I changed my mind.
We are not in the habit of explaining ourselves to dissidents. Moreover, you imposed a self ban. You were no longer entitled to anything.

It's nice you ADMIT there's nothing to stop the abuse of power.
There never was, nor is there now, any abuse of power. Re-read the links above. In fact, the mere fact that you are claiming that there IS/WAS puts you right back in a position to be banned, only adding to your ban evasion.

And my using the words self-banned implies forever how?
Because of the word "banned"

And I'm not allowed to change my mind because?
You surely can try. Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't burn your bridges behind you.."?

I decided that I would be able to return, despite the lack of rules, in a limited way.
How nice for you. :rolleyes:

And, as I've said over and Over and OVER, the ban followed my request for a deleted account. My assumption was that deleting the account and removing the posts wasn't possible, so the ban was used.
Indeed. Therefore, you were banned.

If you believe that the request for account deletion is justification for lifetime ban (with no warning or precedent) then have done with it and ban this account.
Bans are never accompanied by a warning and there is plenty of precedent of others imposing some nonsensical "self ban" and the reprecussions thereafter.

You are wearing on me again.

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 07:22 PM
You may have deserved it, I wouldn't know. If what I have done is deserving of a ban, then I'd like to know why. I think I deserve that much.
Asked and Answers.

AhoyMatey
05-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm wondering why you just didn't PM JJBliss asking him to lift the ban? It's not like he's unreasonable. Hell, Riley gave an answer to your question, and he must have realized who you were....

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I've done some additional research on your past indiscretion.

After a long discussion with Vadim about the realities of DDB, I find I can no longer stay here. I didn't want to just vanish, so this message is to let people know I'm leaving on ethical grounds, and the closing of my account was entirely my own decision.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173429&postcount=2

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36039

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173362&postcount=16

JJBliss
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm wondering why you just didn't PM JJBliss asking him to lift the ban? It's not like he's unreasonable. Hell, Riley gave an answer to your question, and he must have realized who you were....
Maybe because instead of just not posting, or not coming around anymore, BTUx9 decided to make a big overt grand gesture to make sure everyone knew why he was leaving. Guess that wasn't such a good idea for him after all, huh? I remember everything and I hold people to what they say. No coddling here. You will be held accountable for what you say and do.

Maybe because he desires to make a big public showing of everything he thinks.

For the same reason he didn't just slink away, he wouldn't just send a PM asking for permission to come back into our house after he claimed he wasn't coming back. Some people are just like that.

BTUxNine
05-28-2005, 07:53 PM
So glad you're not being insulting in a public forum, JJBliss

As to your links, I never saw the first one, as it was after I left.

The others contain no flames, insults, or anything I see as ban-worthy. So, my honest questions are why you refer to me as a "dissident"?

As to why I didn't "slink off", many people had been following the discussion, and I wanted to let them know why I was leaving and that I wasn't kicked off by the administrators. I consider that more honorable than "slinking off".

As to why I didn't PM an admin, I've explained it repeatedly.

It's nice you ADMIT there's nothing to stop the abuse of power.

There never was, nor is there now, any abuse of power. Re-read the links above. In fact, the mere fact that you are claiming that there IS/WAS puts you right back in a position to be banned, only adding to your ban evasion.
And now you're banning me for something that I didn't even say in a discussion I didn't want to be held on a public forum.

There are over 33,000 registered users on this forum, yet to the handful of moderators it's "their house". What does that make the other 32,99x?

PlainBill
05-28-2005, 09:39 PM

As to your links, I never saw the first one, as it was after I left.

The others contain no flames, insults, or anything I see as ban-worthy. So, my honest questions are why you refer to me as a "dissident"?

As to why I didn't "slink off", many people had been following the discussion, and I wanted to let them know why I was leaving and that I wasn't kicked off by the administrators. I consider that more honorable than "slinking off".

As to why I didn't PM an admin, I've explained it repeatedly.

And now you're banning me for something that I didn't even say in a discussion I didn't want to be held on a public forum.

There are over 33,000 registered users on this forum, yet to the handful of moderators it's "their house". What does that make the other 32,99x?

I really wasn't going to get involved in this, but here's my two cent's worth. You REALLY have a problem. I'm beginning to believe you really don't know how to keep your foot out of your mouth.

As has already been noted, some time ago you decided you couldn't abide by the rules of this forum AND that it didn't offer anything you need. Rather than quietly going away, you had to make a grand announcement you were leaving - not that anyone really cared.

Now you come back - because it turns out you do NEED what DDB has to offer. And you still haven't learned to avoid harassing the moderators.

Judging by your last comment, you seem to be suffering under the illusion this is a democracy, and the other 'citizens' are hanging on your every word. Let me be the latest to disillusion you. DDB is a private web site. It is not a democracy, it's management is perhaps best described as a meritocracy. It might have escaped you, but the 'management' does not operate as a unified group - some are very tolerant, others are unwilling to suffer fools for very long.

Oh, and IMHO, very few people are hanging on your every word, which is just as well, because if you don't change, I predict you will once again be banned. And as I felt the last time - 'Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out'.

PlainBill

hayreass
05-28-2005, 09:55 PM
There are over 33,000 registered users on this forum, yet to the handful of moderators it's "their house". What does that make the other 32,99x?It makes them guests, or visitors if you prefer that analogy.

You just don't go to another man's house and tell him how to run it.

Especially if you don't even know him.

Imagine a neighbor from 3 blocks over barging in and telling you how you should run your household.

JJBliss
05-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Still, I've never insulted you.

I call them Guests! LEARN YOUR PLACE!

At this point if I ban you again, it will be for ban evasion, not for your insolence.

If you push it any more, it will be for both.

For your reference (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-04,GGLD:en&oi=defmore&q=define:Dissident)

And before you ask:

insolence (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-04,GGLD:en&oi=defmore&q=define:insolence)

captain_video
05-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Listen to what these guys are telling you and lose the chip on your shoulder. If you want anyone here to help you then learn a little humility. As it stands now, you are not particularly welcome here, and just barely tolerated. The mods run the show here and anything you say can and will be used against you. You just can't seem to resist digging a deeper and deeper hole that you can't get out of. I suppose you'll get frustrated again and decide to impose another self-inflicted ban, although I'm guessing this time the mods will take care of that for you.

Have a nice day! :D

rc3105
05-29-2005, 10:43 AM
serial term probs are pretty basic and btux9 seemed to have a clue. dunno if this was a legit question or a troll but I bit anyway. coulda posted a working example but thought I'd see where this goes ;)

if btux really can't conscience participating here under the current regime then he should look to tcf for help. ( probably somebody that can troubleshoot term probs, even over there :p )

btux9 was more or less helpfull, but annoying the host really isn't the way to go when you're a guest. if he wants to come back then he needs to adjust his attitude, apologize to JJ, shake hands and move on.

if he's just here to annoy the mods again then he's technically in violation of half a dozen "unauthorized access" laws and an email to his isp containing posts & ip logs can cause all sorts of grief

*guess it's time to add some teeth to the terms of service with honeypot style civil damages :(

in any case, doesn't bother me, I'm a helicopter (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39267)

BTUxNine
05-29-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm not here to annoy the mods. I'd much prefer not to be having this conversation. He's asked me questions and accused me of things, and I've tried to answer. I would like nothing better than to stop this thread, but as he's said, his opinion is that I'm guilty, and if I stop trying to explain my situation, the ban will be in effect.

Am I reading the situation correctly?

(p.s. to the others who have posted, I can't reply to you for obvious reasons, so please don't feel like I'm snubbing you. If it's something you truly want to ask me, then please use PM)

riley, my question was not trolling (it would be a poor choice to do so with, no?) and I thank you for trying to help. I've now tried over half a dozen terminal emulators, and all have the same problem... don't know what's screwy with my setup, but something obviously is. As helping me at this point could be looked on as inappropriate, I just wanted to let you know it was appreciated.

If it helps, the "limited terms" I was returning to the forum involved avoiding moderators and issues as much as possible. If my return were conditional upon that, I'd have no problem. I truly did NOT want to come back into this sort of thing, but given JJBliss questions, I felt my only option was to answer to the best of my ability.

BTUxNine
05-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Just for the record, I'd like to sum up (and be done with it)

When I recreated an account, I did so believing I was NOT evading the ban. My reasons were/are:
1) my sig set to "self-banned" was to let people know it was a choice, nothing more
2) my farewell post stated that I might be back... if that was inappropriate, I would have expected a response to that effect (to let others know that such a thing was verboten)
3) the banning followed my request for the account to be deleted. I truly believed there was no facility to delete an account and leave the posts, so banning was the chosen alternative.

As to why I didn't PM for a removal of the ban on the original account, I had asked for that account to be deleted, and meant it.

All of this falls under the category of "did BTUx9 actively attempt to evade the bad", and that all comes down to whether you believe me or not.

The rest is moot, as the fact of the matter is, if the ban is in place, then I should no longer be posting, so I will stop.

JJBliss
05-31-2005, 03:10 PM
With no apology for the way you have treated dealdatabase and its management in the past, you are on borrowed time.

I will show my largess, and allow you to participate in the forum, until you step out of line. At that time, I will reference this thread as well as your past indiscretions.

DO NOT post in this thread again. If you do, you are gone. No questions, no explanations, no discussions.

I am choosing to have the last word on the subject. It's quite possible that I'm "pulling rank", but those are the breaks.

I am NOT going to close this thread so I can see how well you restrain yourself.

Conversation on this topic has ended. Enjoy yourself at DDB. Be careful.

Roger Dylan
05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I've now tried over half a dozen terminal emulators

Start another thread and ask your question. Do not respond to _any_ OT baiting in that new thread. It's likely your port settings and easy to fix, but ... well ... not here.