PDA

View Full Version : anybody working on?

sienar
05-30-2005, 08:40 AM
****EDIT*****
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE NOT STAYING ON TOPIC AND JUST WANT TO FLAME ME FOR ASKING FOR A GUIDE
****/EDIT****

i'm new to this and I have a Dtivo (DSR7000) that just got updated to 6.2 and want to hack it. the info for this stuff seems pretty scattered, and putting it together from multiple posts seems to be outta my league. so I'm looking for a guide for hacking the 6.2 Dtivo software to enable network, telnet, HMO/MRV, etc(all the cool stuff you can do with a tivo). is anybody working on one, or have a link to one? I didn't see one for 6.2 on the stickied guide list. do i even need one that's specific to 6.2 or will one that talks about an older version work fine?

SpoonsJTD
05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
i'm new to this and I have a Dtivo (DSR7000) that just got updated to 6.2 and want to hack it. the info for this stuff seems pretty scattered, and putting it together from multiple posts seems to be outta my league. so I'm looking for a guide for hacking the 6.2 Dtivo software to enable network, telnet, HMO/MRV, etc(all the cool stuff you can do with a tivo). is anybody working on one, or have a link to one? I didn't see one for 6.2 on the stickied guide list. do i even need one that's specific to 6.2 or will one that talks about an older version work fine?

Try this:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41347

and this:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325

and this forum in general:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

and when you are ready:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43325

A hint on searching -- try googling using site:www.dealdatabase.com as part of the search. This tells google to only search this site. It can be a lot easier than trying to use the vBulleting searching.

sienar
05-30-2005, 09:50 AM
This is looking way more complicated than using sleeper... Is there any chance that someone will update somthing like sleeper for 6.2? or any other tool that is pretty much completely automated? what about somewhere like ptvupgrade, do you think they'll have somthing soon? hell, i would probably paypal someone some money if they wanted to walk me through how to do all this... send me pm if anybody wants to do that ;)

The Only Druid
05-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Is there any chance that someone will update somthing like sleeper for 6.2? or any other tool that is pretty much completely automated? what about somewhere like ptvupgrade, do you think they'll have somthing soon? hell, i would probably paypal someone some money if they wanted to walk me through how to do all this... send me pm if anybody wants to do that ;)

Ban ban ban ban ban ban ban.

Jaesus H. Christ...immediately after being told to search the site (not to mention being linked to extremely clear threads on the subject, including my own where the directions to do this are put quite explicitly) you ignore the polite redirection and then proceed to make the 2nd cardinal sin of this board: asking for someone to do your work for you (which, lets face it, is the same sin as refusing to search the board).

I don't get people like you.

When I started hacking, I made a similar mistake, but at least that was tempered by the fact that when I started there was no killhdinitrd option: you had to monte, in a complicated manner. These days, ALL you have to do is apply killhdinitrd to an appropriate kernel, create a five-freaking-line rc.sysinit.author file, and copy over a copy of tivoftpd. It takes less than 30 minutes.

God-damn.

The Only Druid
05-30-2005, 10:07 AM
This is looking way more complicated than using sleeper...

Amazing. In the time it took me to reply to your original reply (which didn't include the line quoted above), you added this line.

Why, let me ask?

No, forget it, it's a rhetorical question. I know why. You felt like somehow, it ameliorated the offense of asking people to do your work for you.

For the record, no, it's NOT harder than Sleeper's. Why? Because Sleeper's is radically out of date, involving non-functional software and not working with the latest OS.

Stop being lazy. Just stop it. Don't reply back here complaining. Go to the threads you were pointed to, that CLEARLY explain everything, and start learning. Christ.

SpoonsJTD
05-30-2005, 10:08 AM
These days, ALL you have to do is apply killhdinitrd to an appropriate kernel, create a five-freaking-line rc.sysinit.author file, and copy over a copy of tivoftpd. It takes less than 30 minutes.

Hey Sienar, there's your 6.2 hacking guide courtesy of The Only Druid.

PlainBill
05-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Sienar, there's your 6.2 hacking guide courtesy of The Only Druid.
Or if you require more detail, the offer I made in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42244&page=1&pp=15) thread (post #18) is still open.

PlainBill

Gunnyman
05-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Or if you require more detail, the offer I made in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42244&page=1&pp=15) thread (post #18) is still open.

PlainBill

Damn PlainBill for 150 bucks you must have some yard! ;)

psxboy
05-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll do it for $145. ;)

-psxboy

PlainBill
05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Damn PlainBill for 150 bucks you must have some yard! ;)
It's not the size, it's the detail. The entire lot is less than 1/4 acre. After the referenced message, I hired a couple of landscapers to weed, trim the shrubs, etc. It took two people two days to do most of it.

Thanks for jogging my memory - I think the cost of a guide just went up - a lot.

PlainBill

PlainBill
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
I'll do it for $145. ;)

-psxboy
For the guide? Go to it, and welcome!!

For cleaning my yard? Now THAT would be a bargain!!!

PlainBill

psxboy
05-30-2005, 03:05 PM
For the guide? Go to it, and welcome!!

For cleaning my yard? Now THAT would be a bargain!!!

PlainBill
heh.. yeah, I rent so I don't have to worry about my yard. :)

-psxboy

Gunnyman
05-30-2005, 03:06 PM
It's not the size, it's the detail. The entire lot is less than 1/4 acre. After the referenced message, I hired a couple of landscapers to weed, trim the shrubs, etc. It took two people two days to do most of it.

Thanks for jogging my memory - I think the cost of a guide just went up - a lot.

PlainBill
I hear ya!

sienar
05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Ban ban ban ban ban ban ban.

Jaesus H. Christ...immediately after being told to search the site (not to mention being linked to extremely clear threads on the subject, including my own where the directions to do this are put quite explicitly) you ignore the polite redirection and then proceed to make the 2nd cardinal sin of this board: asking for someone to do your work for you (which, lets face it, is the same sin as refusing to search the board).

I don't get people like you.

When I started hacking, I made a similar mistake, but at least that was tempered by the fact that when I started there was no killhdinitrd option: you had to monte, in a complicated manner. These days, ALL you have to do is apply killhdinitrd to an appropriate kernel, create a five-freaking-line rc.sysinit.author file, and copy over a copy of tivoftpd. It takes less than 30 minutes.

God-damn.

You, sir, and anyone that agrees with you has some issues. I just don't understand you, how can you call a 737 post, 19 page thread, clear? That's how long the first one is. How many of those posts tell me what I need to do? The 3rd link was to an entire forum. I don't see how you can figure it would take less than 30 minutes to read everything I would need to read (and probably print) and perform the hack on my tivo. I don't have weeks of time to learn the secret inner workings of a tivo. That's why I spent $500 on a pre-moded xbox. I didn't have the time or the skill to do it. I don't know of any learning institution that uses books of discussions to teach people anything, let alone something this complicated. I'd really prefer not to break my tivo.

YOU didn't even answer any of my questions. You were no help to me whatsoever. Why did you post? To feel better about yourself? These are the kind of questions that go in a newbie section. Why is there even a newbie section in this forum? Half the posts I've read are of people flaming someone for asking questions. If you don't want to help, stop trolling the areas you have clearly surpassed looking for someone you can use to make yourself feel better.

For the record, no, it's NOT harder than Sleeper's. Why? Because Sleeper's is radically out of date, involving non-functional software and not working with the latest OS.

How can it get much simpler than sleepers. You put a disk in and answer some damn questions. It backs up your original drive (little risk in breaking your tivo now) and sets you up a new, bigger drive. I got that software for free, I would've paid for it. I even found it with a step by step guide that had pictures! I would have paid for that too! That's the level I need to be able to do this. As I said, i'm new to this.

I used sleeper on my 3.1x dtivo only 6 weeks ago. How is it radically out of date, if it worked beautifully. UNTIL I ****ED IT UP TRYING TO HACK IT TO DO SOMETHING ELSE! When I put my old drive back in to watch some tv, it updated to 6.2. I had the backup that sleeper made of the 3.1x but I really like the folders and speed up. Why is it a crime or even lazy to ask if a tool I used 6 weeks ago, has been updated or is going to be updated?

Are you this condescending to people you actually know? How have you not gotten the crap kicked out of you?

hayreass
05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Sleeper doesn't work beautifully. Most of the hacks are broken.
The fact that you used it 6 weeks ago does nothing to show it's not outdated.

I went shooting yesterday. I took some of my old muzzleloaders with me, and shot them.
Now, since they still fire a bullet, does that mean they aren't outdated? Should we give a bunch of them to our Marines?

We are not here to do what you want us to do.

Ask at TCF, maybe they can help.

sienar
05-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Sleeper doesn't work beautifully. Most of the hacks are broken.
The fact that you used it 6 weeks ago does nothing to show it's not outdated.

I went shooting yesterday. I took some of my old muzzleloaders with me, and shot them.
Now, since they still fire a bullet, does that mean they aren't outdated? Should we give a bunch of them to our Marines?

We are not here to do what you want us to do.

Ask at TCF, maybe they can help.

Just going by my own experience. It worked beautifully for me. I used tytools to extract video, it let me use the space on a 160gb drive, i used tivoweb to remote control the tivo.

Just out of curiosity, what is broken in sleeper?

Thinkdiff
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I didn't realize sleeper was lba48 and installed lba48 compatible 3.1.1x kernels.. when did that happen?

hayreass
05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is broken in sleeper?Off the top of my head, it doesn't have an lba48 aware kernel, so you would have had issues eventually.

Joe is broken.

It uses a poor method of turning off encryption that'll give you issues later on.

It doesn't support curent software.

Just off the top of my head.

Edit:
Damn fast responder Thinkdiff.
Beat me to the punch.

The Only Druid
05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
YOU didn't even answer any of my questions. You were no help to me whatsoever.

I was of no help? Perhaps that's because you didn't go to the links you were given.

One of those links was THIS (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325&highlight=collected+info) post, one of mine, where I collect all the relevant info on hacking your 6.2 system (excepting a few minor things that are very situation specific). That's how I answered ALL your questions.

The fact that you were too lazy to read the FIRST post in that thread that someone already linked you to (not to mention that you failed to find it in the SIMPLEST search) is why you don't belong here.

Lazy people don't deserve anything. Period. Do some work.

sienar
05-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I was of no help? Perhaps that's because you didn't go to the links you were given.

One of those links was THIS (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42325&highlight=collected+info) post, one of mine, where I collect all the relevant info on hacking your 6.2 system (excepting a few minor things that are very situation specific). That's how I answered ALL your questions.

The fact that you were too lazy to read the FIRST post in that thread that someone already linked you to (not to mention that you failed to find it in the SIMPLEST search) is why you don't belong here.

Lazy people don't deserve anything. Period. Do some work.

I'm glad you replied. Again, you are wrong. You didn't answer my questions. Let me quote my first post.

Notice the questions. I asked (1) is anyone working on a guide or have a link to one, and (2) do I need a guide specific to 6.2? You didn't answer either of those questions and neither has anyone else. I did get a pm with some links from bnm81002.

Those links are very informative, I don't disagree. I had read all of them before I even posted my original question. I hold to my opinion that the information is scattered OR over my head.

Here's what you need to get through your thick skull. This is not a hobby for most people. It's just a task. Like installing a sub in a car, or installing a garage door opener. Once they do it once and get the functionality they want, it doesn't get messed with again. The knowledge is useless after that.

You also need to learn not to post off topic. You didn't help this thread at all. You helped your better-than-thou attitude and that's all. how bad is this forum in the first place, when I got a pm warning me to edit my question so i wasn't asking for a guide or i would get flamed. it's rediculous. do you really have nothing better to do? Please, if you don't want to help a newb, DON'T POST IN THIS SECTION A-HOLE! don't even reply to this. all you're doing is polluting this forum.

fixn278
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Here's what you need to get through your thick skull. This is not a hobby for most people. It's just a task. Like installing a sub in a car, or installing a garage door opener. Once they do it once and get the functionality they want, it doesn't get messed with again. The knowledge is useless after that.

Then you don't belong here. This is not an instructional or tutoring site. It is a hacking site. It is not here so you can leech what you want and then leave. If that's your goal, then don't post your questions here. They will only be met with hostility. The folks here do this as a hobby because they enjoy it. They have no intention on making this information for the non-technical or those that don't aspire to learn to be. They want people that contribute to the hobby, not dilute it with questions that have been asked over and over.

Again, this is not a site for you to come to, hack your Tivo, and never be heard from again. This site is for hobbyists that want to learn. If you don't want to learn, Tivo includes lots of great features in the hardware and software without hacking. Use them and be happy. You are owed nothing more than that.

sienar
05-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Then you don't belong here. This is not an instructional or tutoring site. It is a hacking site. It is not here so you can leech what you want and then leave. If that's your goal, then don't post your questions here. They will only be met with hostility. The folks here do this as a hobby because they enjoy it. They have no intention on making this information for the non-technical or those that don't aspire to learn to be. They want people that contribute to the hobby, not dilute it with questions that have been asked over and over.

Again, this is not a site for you to come to, hack your Tivo, and never be heard from again. This site is for hobbyists that want to learn. If you don't want to learn, Tivo includes lots of great features in the hardware and software without hacking. Use them and be happy. You are owed nothing more than that.

You just proved my point. I don't understand why there has to be hostility. I learn way more from a guide than from reading people's bickerings on esoteric things i don't understand in the first place. All i said is that it's not a hobby for most people. I never said i didn't want to learn how to do it. I'd be more than happy to learn how to do it. I work on computers for a living and I'm self-tought. I don't have a problem learning. I don't have the ability to learn from random posts in very long threads. It would take me weeks to read enough in my spare time to gather the few bits of information needed to accomplish this task that would be trivial for a large number of people on this forum to write out.

You want me to learn and then refuse to teach.

Thinkdiff
05-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Can we just ban this guy already?

I learned hacking tivos the hard way. I already explained this in a similar thread to yours a week or so back. I tried Sleeper's ISO, yeah, it's easy, but as soon as I tried to do anything else, the tivo would break. So I decided to take the initiative to actually read all the posts here in the relevant threads and it was the best thing I have ever done. I've learn so much about tivos in such a sort time and continue to learn something new every day. This IS A HOBBY. This is a hobby site. If you don't like that and do not want to participate, then simply leave. Nobody is going to help you leech off the information here. All of the people that post regularly on this board went through the same thing. They all read through the threads and figured it out for themselves. It's not THAT hard. I mean, i'm 16. I've been using linux since I was 11/12. I am completely self-thought and figured this out pretty well in a matter of a year or two. I was able to hack my tivo in a week the first time I tried w/o the sleeper ISO. Now I can do it in 20 minutes or less because I went through all the posts, I understand what each thing does, and I know why it has to be done.

that's my rant... bottom line, if you don't want to read the threads here, move along.

edit: about your "refuse to teach" line.. everybody linked you to the correct threads. About 3 months ago, I had no idea how to upgrade from slices or even how to beginning thinking about going from 4.0.1b to 6.2 properly. But I read those same threads and more and I learned pretty quickly. Within a week or so of reading, I made the attempt to upgrade and hack via slices and it worked perfectly. Nobody is going to spoonfeed you here. YOU need to take the initiative.

fixn278
05-30-2005, 06:47 PM
You just proved my point. I don't understand why there has to be hostility. I learn way more from a guide than from reading people's bickerings on esoteric things i don't understand in the first place. All i said is that it's not a hobby for most people. I never said i didn't want to learn how to do it. I'd be more than happy to learn how to do it. I work on computers for a living and I'm self-tought. I don't have a problem learning. I don't have the ability to learn from random posts in very long threads. It would take me weeks to read enough in my spare time to gather the few bits of information needed to accomplish this task that would be trivial for a large number of people on this forum to write out.

You want me to learn and then refuse to teach.

You don't want to be taught. You want the answers given to you. You will not get that here.... still....

sienar
05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Can we just ban this guy already?

I learned hacking tivos the hard way. I already explained this in a similar thread to yours a week or so back. I tried Sleeper's ISO, yeah, it's easy, but as soon as I tried to do anything else, the tivo would break. So I decided to take the initiative to actually read all the posts here in the relevant threads and it was the best thing I have ever done. I've learn so much about tivos in such a sort time and continue to learn something new every day. This IS A HOBBY. This is a hobby site. If you don't like that and do not want to participate, then simply leave. Nobody is going to help you leech off the information here. All of the people that post regularly on this board went through the same thing. They all read through the threads and figured it out for themselves. It's not THAT hard. I mean, i'm 16. I've been using linux since I was 11/12. I am completely self-thought and figured this out pretty well in a matter of a year or two. I was able to hack my tivo in a week the first time I tried w/o the sleeper ISO. Now I can do it in 20 minutes or less because I went through all the posts, I understand what each thing does, and I know why it has to be done.

that's my rant... bottom line, if you don't want to read the threads here, move along.

edit: about your "refuse to teach" line.. everybody linked you to the correct threads. About 3 months ago, I had no idea how to upgrade from slices or even how to beginning thinking about going from 4.0.1b to 6.2 properly. But I read those same threads and more and I learned pretty quickly. Within a week or so of reading, I made the attempt to upgrade and hack via slices and it worked perfectly. Nobody is going to spoonfeed you here. YOU need to take the initiative.

You people aren't listening. All you have to do is answer the question or ignore it. This has got to be the most hostile forum i've ever found. I've never run into an entire group of people that can't shut up if they have nothing constructive to say. You folks have just killed any motivation I had to learn to hack my tivo. All I asked for was I guide. Not directions, a guide. In my experience, a guide explains things as it goes. It has a target goal and explains each step on the way to that goal. I'm sorry I assumed tivo hacking was only for those that have tons of time and patience to read crap that doesn't apply to what they want to do. I'm sorry I only have the one tivo that i don't want to **** up and would rather read something gives me a little confidence that it's not written by someone thinks it's the way it's supposed to work.

Ban me if you want, remember I didn't start the flames. I'm not posting here at least with this account, ever again.

eastwind
05-30-2005, 07:52 PM
How can it get much simpler than sleepers. You put a disk in and answer some damn questions. It backs up your original drive (little risk in breaking your tivo now) and sets you up a new, bigger drive. I got that software for free, I would've paid for it. I even found it with a step by step guide that had pictures! I would have paid for that too! That's the level I need to be able to do this. As I said, i'm new to this.
Perhaps if you had paid for the guide and the software (paypal, anyone?) you would already have what you want. There might've been some incentive for someone to make the scripts and a guide with pictures for you. The licenses for the hacks have been updated by some of the authors to not allow them to be used in this way anymore, so the price would have to be pretty high to pay all those fees. To prevent the support problems the guides and scripts have been mostly done away with in lieu of a better method--learn to hack so you can help yourself when there's a problem.

ew

<and don't forget to build a serial cable> :)

hayreass
05-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Dude, the very 1st reply in this thread pointed you where to go.
The 2nd link in that post is to a guide. Not directions, but a guide. Just what you said you need.

What's the problem?

There was no hostility until you decided to post that the guide wasn't what you were after, but a "do it for me" package like sleeper is what you want.

psxboy
05-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Ok, I'll bite...

Notice the questions. I asked (1) is anyone working on a guide or have a link to one, and (2) do I need a guide specific to 6.2? You didn't answer either of those questions and neither has anyone else.
1) Maybe... we don't do guides here, so we wouldn't know.

2) Maybe... depends on the guide you find.

There... now put it to rest.

-psxboy

JJBliss
05-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Ban me if you want, remember I didn't start the flames. I'm not posting here at least with this account, ever again.

Done. And Done.

Moved to Sewer
-Thread Closed-