PDA

View Full Version : A cabling question please...

GreggRN
06-04-2005, 10:37 AM
:confused: At work we have 17 dtv receivers, each tuned to a different station, some locals in there as well. All the outputs are mixed into a single board , causing all to mix into a single output. Essentially we have created our own cable station. Important to note, no sat receiver is ever changed to a different station. To split the output to many tv's, can we simply use a rat shak line splitter? Can it be passive or do we need to have a power splitter specific to sattelite? At home I use an eagle 5x8 because I need to be able to change to different transponders when switching channels on different tv's....Anyone?

mrblack51
06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
:confused: At work we have 17 dtv receivers, each tuned to a different station, some locals in there as well. All the outputs are mixed into a single board , causing all to mix into a single output. Essentially we have created our own cable station. Important to note, no sat receiver is ever changed to a different station. To split the output to many tv's, can we simply use a rat shak line splitter? Can it be passive or do we need to have a power splitter specific to sattelite? At home I use an eagle 5x8 because I need to be able to change to different transponders when switching channels on different tv's....Anyone?

your setup is actually fairly standard. as you noted, you are essentially creating a personal cable headend. if you can hook one cable into the output of your "mix" board, which is probably just a splitter installed backwards, then you can simply split the signal after it comes out. i would recommend using a distrobution amplifier setup, such as a 1x8 powered splitter or something larger if your needs require it.

+--------+= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - +-----+ +-----+-----
| |= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - | | | |-----
| |= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - | | |dist |-----
dish---+multi- |= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - | mix |---coax line w/all chans---|split|-----
|switch |= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - | | | |-----
| |= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - | | | |-----
| | ... | | | |...
+--------+= DTV receiver -- rf modulator - +-----+ +-----+-----

edit: clarified diagram

GreggRN
06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks Mr. Black51...So I don't need something specific for sat lines like a multi-switch? A regular splitter wil be OK? (or an amplified dist. as you mentioned).

mrblack51
06-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mr. Black51...So I don't need something specific for sat lines like a multi-switch? A regular splitter wil be OK? (or an amplified dist. as you mentioned).

ok, so the way it should work is

dish -> multiswitch->receivers -> modulator-> combiner -> single cable with all channels -> distrobution amp

now, this is making a couple of assumptions. if you are needing to do the full setup, then there are a number of things that need to happen.

1) dish to multiswitch
ensures all dishes get a signal. since you need to tune in 17 different channels, looks like even the largest multiswitches that they have will not work for you. so you will need like 3 5x8 multiswitches, which will provide 24 outputs. in order to feed those multiswitches, you can use cable type splitters to seperate the connection from the dish and distribute it to each multiswitch. be sure to connect the same way on each multiswitch (ie: 101 odd on each multiswitch should be connected to the same splitter, 101 even to another splitter, etc). you may have to deal with power insertion and such.

2) multiswitch to receivers
this is obvious. each receiver has a single line from the multiswitch to the receiver.

3) receiver to modulator
i have no idea what type of "mix" box you are using, but you need to modulate the receivers onto specific channels. radio shack sells a box that will let you modulate onto a given channel, though there are better ones out there. channel master makes better quality units. you should leave some spacing between channels to prevent interference if possible.

4) modulators to combiner
basically a splitter set up backwards. combines all the signals into a single cable

5) combiner to distrobution amp
this is a splitter with a built in amplifier. try to get one which has the same number of outputs as you need, but you can split the outputs if necessary further down the line

basically, you are building a standard distrobution setup. channelmaster makes a bunch of stuff for this, as do many other companies. if you search on google, you should be able to find lots of info and wiring guides. your local high-end home theater place or home automation place should be able to give more information as well.

GreggRN
06-04-2005, 02:43 PM
thanks.....