PDA

View Full Version : ty to mpeg4

HUGE
06-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I just bought the Mustek PVR-H140, and it uses the mpeg4 format. I use tytools to burn DVDs, but what is currently the best way to get the ty's or mpgs from tytools converted to mpeg4?

Thanks,

-HUGE

wayner
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
eTiVo should work as long as you have the right codecs installed and you set up an encoding profile to convert to MPEG4. Or you could manually use the Windows Media Encoder. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I found MPEG-4 to be very non-standard as there seem tob e several variations of MPEG-4.

Masnark
06-29-2005, 06:51 PM
eTiVo should work as long as you have the right codecs installed and you set up an encoding profile to convert to MPEG4. Or you could manually use the Windows Media Encoder. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I found MPEG-4 to be very non-standard as there seem tob e several variations of MPEG-4.

Windows Media Encoder knows how to encode MPEG4? Coul you post steps as to how to make it do that?

HUGE
06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Now I read the unit I bought may only play asf - but it says it supports others, so I am a bit confused. It has not arrived yet so I will see what the deal is when I actually get it.

Thanks,

HUGE

wayner
07-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Windows Media Encoder knows how to encode MPEG4? Coul you post steps as to how to make it do that?I installed the MPEG-4 codecs from Microsoft and it was an option in WME. The codec should be available here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx

However this may not work with all variants of MPEG-4 - that's the great thing about standards - there are so many of them.

edit - I will verify tomorrow that I do have MPEG-4 available but I am 99.9% sure that this is the case.

johnny
07-04-2005, 11:21 PM
This is what I use and it works great. Use the MPG file generated by TyTool as a source for tis utility.

Enjoy!

http://divx.ppccool.com/

HUGE
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I finally got the unit - Mustek PVR-H140. It seems very cool, but the conversion utility SOOOO SLOOOOOWWW. So here is the deal, I have to convert any video file to asf to be able to play it on thje device. I have uploaded a sample file that came with it to one of my sites (link below) I am hoping that someone can tell me how to set up WME or somthing simliar to give me the same output. I thank you for your help.

http://nh-gym.com/files/SlamDunk.ASF

HUGE

Shaun
07-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Huge -

I read on one of the Microsoft how-to's that you can rename a .wmv to .asf

My impression is that WMV is a newer version of asf. I don't know if there's a difference in the file format but you might give it a shot.

BTW, I use WME to manually convert from .ty to .wmv. It works pretty well but it is slow depending on the codec you use. You will need to install WME (obvious) and TyShow. I just don't have the time right now to get the eTivo set up properly so I'm saving that for when I upgrade to 6.2.

Does anyone have an opinion on the ideal settings to use in WME when converting .ty?

HUGE
07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Just changing the extention does not cut it. You have to get the setting right - and so far I have had no luck. Any ideas?

HUGE

Shaun
07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Just changing the extention does not cut it. You have to get the setting right - and so far I have had no luck. Any ideas?

HUGE
Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you were trying to get to .asf format.

Now that you are asking for settings, do you mean settings for WME to end up with a .wmv or are you trying to get another format?

I've been using the following settings in WME. However, there may be better settings, I just haven't found them yet.

Video -
VBR Quality
95% (100% yields a file bigger than the .ty - up 2 gig for 1 hour)
WM9 codec (the standard one) - WM8 is much faster but picture quality not as good and file size is roughly 15% larger.

Audio
VBR Quality
90-100% - depending on the program.
WM9 codec (WM9Pro defaults to 97%, WM9 Lossless = 100%)

Other key settings I use:
- Set video pixel to "Same as Source"
- Set audio to 48k (same as source)
- Set video to anamorphic 4:3
- deinterlace

I'm not at home right now so I can't be more specific as to which tab the settings are on. I have also used CBR but you have to be careful which CBR you use - some of them default to 2-pass encoding. Something about the TyShow codec does not play nice with 2-pass and it freezes up so make sure you only use 1-pass.
With WM9 codec expect encode times of roughly twice the program length. With WM8 codec I was getting encode times of about .75 of program length.
You can also use the included command line utility to batch encode an entire directory of .ty files. And, of course, once in .wmv you can use Windows Movie Maker to cut commercials.

Hope that was helpful.

HUGE
07-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I guess I was not clear either, the settings of the asf file has to be just right for it to play on my new PVR. I am hoping soeone with more experience than me can check the sample file I posted above and come up with a way for me to convert the .ty (and other files) to that particular format.

Thanks,

HUGE

Shaun
07-09-2005, 09:31 AM
I guess I was not clear either, the settings of the asf file has to be just right for it to play on my new PVR. I am hoping soeone with more experience than me can check the sample file I posted above and come up with a way for me to convert the .ty (and other files) to that particular format.
I was going to suggest you check videohelp.com (http://videohelp.com ) but I just did an search there on converting to ASF and there is not a singe guide listed. Still, you might try posting your question there or at the AVSforum.com (http://AVSforum.com). Someone else on those boards may have the same player.

Cheers!

eastwind
07-09-2005, 02:59 PM

Thanks,

HUGE
Did you try running it through GSpot to see how it was being rendered by DirectShow?

ew

cheer
07-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Let us not confuse the container (.avi, .wmv, .asf, etc.) with the video format (Mpeg4, HuffyUV, Xvid, Mpeg2, and so on).

I'll twiddle with the ASF file a bit later and see what I can see. I have very little experience working with .asf as a container but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

HUGE
07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Let us not confuse the container (.avi, .wmv, .asf, etc.) with the video format (Mpeg4, HuffyUV, Xvid, Mpeg2, and so on).

I'll twiddle with the ASF file a bit later and see what I can see. I have very little experience working with .asf as a container but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

That would be awsome. I am having a hell of a time. The converter that comes with the PVR will not covert the mpgs that tytools puts out. Cool little unit, but the converter blows. I posted another sample file (smaller) as well:

http://bodytronix.com/test1.zip

Thanks,

HUGE

HUGE
07-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I give up. The unit itself it cool, but the file converter is intolerable. I am returning it and getting the Archos 420. From what I have read, I should be able to use ETivo do d/l and encode and then just transfer it to the unit with no hassle. I will let you know.

Thanks for all you input,

HUGE