PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Hi-Def test patterns for hr10-250

bcc
07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
So I generated some hi-def test patterns using tymplex. I think these are handy in evaluating the video display quality between the hr10-250 and your display device. IMO this is better than the HDNET test pattern, as HDNET's test pattern is "HD-lite" at 1280x1088 whereas these patterns are 1920x1080.
These patterns are taken from the monitor test program available here. (http://www.geocities.com/tvdarekz/). I fed screen captures thru ffmpeg and then into tymplex.
I ran these same test patterns on my HTPC and confirmed that with my HTPC setup, I get better scaling on the HTPC than when my tivo or my display does the scaling. Basically confirmed what everyone at tivocommunity speculated/complained about concerning video "softness" on the hr10-250. Doesn't matter if I set the tivo to 720p or 1080i output. Oh well, always thought my HTPC looked better...

Here are the 5 test patterns I tried. lines.zip has 3 tests (horizontal lines with single pixel spacing, vertical with single pixel spacing, grid with double pixel spacing). patterntext.ty.bz2 has a test pattern and text output.

flagmaster
09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks, very helpfull.

Can you give me the step by step you used to generate these ty files?
I have a few HD test patterns that I would like to contribute in ty format as well.

They are currently is .TS format, which I can easly convert back into .MPG format (hdtv mpeg 2).

From there, Im not sure how to make them into TY files like you have made.

bcc
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Can you give me the step by step you used to generate these ty files?
I have a few HD test patterns that I would like to contribute in ty format as well.I think I finally found my notes. Something like:

Run monitest.exe on 1080p display, create snapshots.
foreach i (grid horiz pattern text vert)
./ffmpeg -loop -t 00:00:10 -f singlejpeg -i $i'%d.jpg' -r 29.97 -b 10000 $i.m2v
end
cat horiz.m2v vert.m2v grid.m2v > lines.m2v
cat pattern.m2v text.m2v > patterntext.m2v
mplex -f 10 -r153701 lines.m2v -o lines.ty
mplex -f 10 -r153701 patterntext.m2v -o patterntext.tyPersonally if I was doing it again I'd just try ty-ffmpeg and do the encoding and muxing in 1 step.
I had a lot more "splashy" test cases, such as converting HD wmv to .ty but DDB limits my uploads so that's all I provided.

They are currently is .TS format, which I can easly convert back into .MPG format (hdtv mpeg 2).ffmpeg can handle .ts so I don't see why you'd need to bring in an extra conversion step.

flagmaster
10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Cool, I have had some success converting hdtv ts files into ty, and inserting onto my hdtivo.

I have a 30 min grey scale pattern which is very handy for tunning my crt projector to my hdtivo. Its several gigs long tho.

If your interested in trading test patterns, pm me and we will make arragments.
Im definitly interested.

Thanks again for your contribution. I did find it helpfull.

Carey