PDA

View Full Version : TiVoTool for OS X rocks like no other binary has rocked before

tivoboi
07-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Great work, John.

Sorry PC fanbois.

NutKase
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Great work, John.

Sorry PC fanbois.

This somehow belongs in the Series 2 Support Forum?

NutKase

JJBliss
07-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Moved to Extraction Support

tivoboi
07-14-2005, 11:10 PM
This somehow belongs in the Series 2 Support Forum?

NutKase

Probably not. Sewer is more likely. :D

OK, in all seriousness...

John: Can't get a list of programs off of the TiVo. TiVo Tool seems to be doing something but vserver doesn't report any connection activity and after a few seconds of spinning beachball, nothing happens.

AlphaWolf
07-15-2005, 12:58 AM
what exactly does tivotool do?

johnsolo
07-15-2005, 02:16 AM
TivoTool extracts video from a S1 or S2 Tivo or DTivo running vserver.

Two notable features are direct extraction to MPEG4 (xvid) without an intermediate file and the use of iTunes 4.9 as a video library.

http://www.tivotool.com has screenshots.

AlphaWolf
07-15-2005, 02:42 AM
TivoTool extracts video from a S1 or S2 Tivo or DTivo running vserver.

Two notable features are direct extraction to MPEG4 (xvid) without an intermediate file and the use of iTunes 4.9 as a video library.

http://www.tivotool.com has screenshots.

Excellent use of vserver. Its so simple yet hardly any of the developers ever take advantage of what it has to offer.

One suggestion though, you may want to change the name to something else, as there are already two other items out there that use the name tivotool. It might end up leading to confusion among the newbies.

LlamaLarry
07-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Great work, John.
I will definitely be checking this out today. Excellent work!

greenhornet
07-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Anybody have any success extracting with TivoTool and importing to Final Cut or iMovie? Final Cut Pro doesn't seem to pick up the audio in the either Mpeg 2 format or the demuxed pair option. Mpeg 4 doesn't extract for me with TiVoTool.

Quicktime seems to play the files great but iMovie won't even import the files.

Wish I had a way to get some editing of commercials done and then maybe a dump to iDVD.

Cheezmo
07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Looks great!

What are the chances of eventual HDTV support?

MacJunkie
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Anybody have any success extracting with TivoTool and importing to Final Cut or iMovie? Final Cut Pro doesn't seem to pick up the audio in the either Mpeg 2 format or the demuxed pair option. Mpeg 4 doesn't extract for me with TiVoTool.

Quicktime seems to play the files great but iMovie won't even import the files.

Wish I had a way to get some editing of commercials done and then maybe a dump to iDVD.

You can download to a .vob file and then use Toast to export to a .dv file. Final Cut Pro can use the .dv file.

You can also use a program called Streamclip on the Mac (free) to convert many types of files to other types of files:

http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

I have the best luck using .dv files.

johnsolo
08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
FYI, 0.4.0 is out.

greenhornet
08-28-2005, 09:36 PM
This is strange. NOTHING on my Mac or TiVo has changed other than it's been about 2 weeks since my last connection with TiVoTool. I fired up TiVoTool tonight and I get the "please wait" message after clicking on the refresh button. The show listings never populate. I tried several things to remedy this:

I had a slightly older TivoTool version so i updated to 0.4.1. I tried a reboot of my TiVo. I also tried to connect with TyTools9r18 on my Windoze box - it worked.

I have limited access to any kind of log files in this app so I'm not sure where else to look. I'm on the same subnet as my TiVo so I don't think it's a networking problem.

greenhornet
08-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Strange but it appears to be a problem with Vserver. I have to start it 3 or 4 times to get it to run and give me a 'waiting for incoming connections' prompt. I'm starting it through a telnet session, not by using the TiVoTool because I don't have busybox installed which appear to be required to start vserver from the GUI.

dlmtechnology
09-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok, I'll admit it, this is my first attempt at downloading the shows off my HDVR2.

I got TivoTool for OS X Tiger to list what is recorded but when I try to Download or Burn I get issues if the show is roughly over 628 megs. TiVoTool downloads them normally till it hits the 628 meg limit, then all of a sudden I see a jump in how long it takes to download, what normally takes a second or two to get 1 meg transferred, turns into half a second but then it continues to download even though it says its done. I've seen in the status bar "Downloading 1988 mb of 1773 mb" How can it download more then what is really there?

I've tried downloading the files as .Vob and as MPEG2 with the same results.

Are these TiVoTool Success stories I'm hearing just that, stories or is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

greenhornet
09-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I believe most of the people here are using a seires 1. What's your make / model of TiVo?

dlmtechnology
09-03-2005, 08:08 PM
I believe most of the people here are using a seires 1. What's your make / model of TiVo?

Well I didn't think I posted this in the wrong place, but if I did, forgive me.

I'm using a Hughes branded DirecTivo model HDVR2 and since it's got the USB ports I'm assuming its a Series 2 :-)

EDIT: Guess I should mention am also using Tivo software 6.2-01-2-151

dlmtechnology
09-04-2005, 12:55 PM
well somehow it worked today, I don't know if it was a combination of the things I did yesterday or just one.

1. I ended up putting Vserver in the /var/hacks/bin directory and named it vserver-s2 (it was originally in my /var/hack/bin directory and named vserver

2. I created a sym link to busybox in /var/hacks/bin which was installed by PTVRupgrade in the /ptvrupgrade/busybox directory

3. This morning the tivo was unresponsive to the network so I restarted the system

4. I disabled my screensaver on my laptop (it seems once the screensaver kicked in and I came back to it in the past it ****ed up, but it coulda been coincidence)

once I did all that I was surprised when TiVoTool managed to download more then what it normally did till it actually completed the file. I'm currently waiting for program number 2 to download now :)

I'm not sure if moving vserver and busybox to those directory helped but since TiVoTool says that the remote start and stop of vserver will only work if telnet and vserver and busybox are in those directories. It never dawned on me till I looked more closely that it said HACKS not HACK (I previously had a HACK directory)

Maybe it was the restart that did it by itself, but I've had the system restarted other times before, maybe it was just luck, who knows. But for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed, not letting my black cat cross my path, not breaking any mirrors, and I've tossed salt over my shoulder, just in case :D

UPDATE: well it f'd up again while trying to get show number 2. I think I've narrowed it down to a network problem and not TiVoTool specifically, it seems my TiVo likes to switch IP addresses from time to time, it originally had DHCP and I changed it to static but over the course of a day it would go back to its DHCP IP address of 192.16.8.1.5 instead of staying statically to 192.168.1.230 Until I successfully get it to stick to STATIC I'll have to keep with the DHCP.

satguymtl
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I am up and running with 0.4.3 - very slick, even on OS X86!

I can't seem to get iTunes integration to work. I created a new Playlist called "TiVo Recordings" like in the screenshots. TT says the show was "added to iTunes." But I can't find it anywhere, at all, on the computer.

Any ideas? iTunes 5.0.1 on a PC running OS X86 (Darwin).

whackit
10-01-2005, 12:12 AM
I to cannot get itunes integration to work. Running itunes 5.0.1 on 10.4.2 not sure what you need to do other than check the box in prefs.

This program blows me away. After years of kludges and workarounds finally something that suits the mac. Well done!

johnsolo
10-01-2005, 02:28 AM
What is the exact path to your itunes library?

satguymtl
10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
What is the exact path to your itunes library?The default path, which in my case is Users:Me:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:

greenTraveler
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I can't seem to get iTunes integration to work. I created a new Playlist called "TiVo Recordings" like in the screenshots. TT says the show was "added to iTunes." But I can't find it anywhere, at all, on the computer.

Same here.

What is the exact path to your itunes library?

Mine is: archive:music if that helps at all.

Thanks for Tivotool...it is excellent. :D

satguymtl
10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Anybody? A bump for the evening crew...

redfiver
10-13-2005, 07:18 PM
This program looks awesome, I haven't been extracting video from the tivo for a while now (was kinda clugy), but this tool looks to be awesome, going to give it a try.

How about sync'ing these video streams to the new iPod, think that will be possible? The iPod takes MPEG4 video, but formated to a specific size. Future feature possibly? (no rush as I still have a 1st gen iPod, don't know if/when I'll get a video iPod, just looks cool) :)

LordJohnWhorfin
10-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Okay, it *could* be a little prettier (the non-movable, non-standard window is a bit of a surprise the first time you see it), but it does an absolutely awesome job, is ridiculously easy to install, and just works. It's so much better than the alternatives on windows that it's not even funny. So far everything I've extracted of my HDVR2 looks fantastic and plays great. Before that I had grown so tired of using sucky programs on the PC and running into problems with every other file I had given up on archiving, but TivoTool ROCKS!
Really nice job guys. Thanks.

jakerome
11-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi, I just downloaded TiVoTool and it looks really promising. I've got a Series 1 DirecTV TiVo and my new iPod video is going to be here in a few days. In the past, I've gone through a more extensive process to extract video and burn DVDs, using ms_ftp, Dazzle and TyTool on OS X. In order to unscramble shows, I am running unscramble.o (which I understand only unscrambles shows after they've been played after a reboot).

I installed vserver and got it running, as I can view the shows on my TiVo. But when I go to save a file or stream something, the process just stops. When downloading a file, it leaves just a 4kb file on my Mac that doesn't play in VLC or Quicktime. So I went ahead and uninstalled unscramble.o and applied the decryption commands manually, http://www.tivotool.com/mediawiki/index.php/DecryptionCommands . (I was very careful to follow the instructions to patch for my 3.1.0b software-- http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213&highlight=3.1.0b ). After doing that, I still have the same problems.

I noticed that there's a preference for the location of "busybox," but this set of utiilities seems to be geared towards S2 TiVoes. Do I need to install that? I installed my set of TiVo hacks almost 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if I need to update them in order for vserver to work properly with TiVoTool.

johnsolo
11-03-2005, 06:07 AM
Did you verify that the recording you are trying to transfer is unscrambled with ciphercheck?

jakerome
11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I just tried to download ciphercheck.tcl, but it won't let me for some reason-- says my login doesn't work. Is there another place to download it besides here, http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213 ? BTW, I found a set of BusyBox doanloads. Since I already have most of the utilities, I just moved the Busybox binary into my var/hack/bin folder. Should I just replace everything in the /var/hack/bin folder with the busybox versions? Thanks for your help.

jakerome
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I managed to download ciphercheck.tcl just now, so I'll test it out when I get back to the computer tonight.

jakerome
11-04-2005, 02:17 AM
OK, I'm making progress! I'm not strong at Linux hacking, so this is a challenge for me. First I had to add mfs_ftp so it was in my path (I don't think it was before). Copied over ciphercheck.tcl, but the carriage returns were screwed up so I had to use a different ftp program and transfer it again. So I ran it, and it works. All my shows are either "Yes/Yes" (old recordings) or "No/No" (new recordings).

Alright, the "No/No" recordings are working fine, this is awesome! I'm testing extracting & adding to iTunes now. Great stuff! For the "Yes/Yes" stuff, will extraction work if I run the "noscramble.o" file? I'll be testing that next. Thanks for writing such an easy to use, fun program. You just made my iPod video worthwhile.

johnsolo
11-04-2005, 05:23 AM
You just made my iPod video worthwhile.
Really glad to hear you got your problem solved. As a 'linux newbie' by your own admission, how did you get your unit initially hacked? Just curious if you got a PTV upgrade or what. I would really like to add a walkthrough on the site for people who just got their units back from PTV/Weakness. Do you have any thoughts?

johnsolo
11-04-2005, 05:40 AM
By the way could you post your reply in the tivotool.pl support thread. This thread title is a bit much