PDA

View Full Version : Just the audio wanted

TexARC
07-17-2005, 01:24 AM
I've had a slight, small, flash - I can TiVo Directv's channel 744, which plays pairs of really great rock and roll with no interruptions, then use tyTools to create a separate audio (.m2a extension) of just the tunes, which I would like to then burn as mp3 onto a DVD, in order to get a lonnnnggggg playing audio disk.

On a whim I tried playing the m2a using Windows Media Player, and it played just fine.

WOW. So I figured I am onto something here <G>....

four hours of recorded video yields up around 170 megs at transcoding option 5 - DVD 48 @ 192 and 150 meg sized file at option 4 DVD 48 @ 160.

Can anyone tell me more about this .m2a file format, and is there any way to process it into mp3? (or is this a verison of mp3?) Searching for m2a turns up a lot of non-specific hits about m2a and muxing, I don't want to mux, I want to take the m2a and run with it :)

eastwind
07-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I've had a slight, small, flash - I can TiVo Directv's channel 744, which plays pairs of really great rock and roll with no interruptions, then use tyTools to create a separate audio (.m2a extension) of just the tunes, which I would like to then burn as mp3 onto a DVD, in order to get a lonnnnggggg playing audio disk.

On a whim I tried playing the m2a using Windows Media Player, and it played just fine.

WOW. So I figured I am onto something here <G>....

four hours of recorded video yields up around 170 megs at transcoding option 5 - DVD 48 @ 192 and 150 meg sized file at option 4 DVD 48 @ 160.

Can anyone tell me more about this .m2a file format, and is there any way to process it into mp3? (or is this a verison of mp3?) Searching for m2a turns up a lot of non-specific hits about m2a and muxing, I don't want to mux, I want to take the m2a and run with it :)
m2a is the audio portion of an mpeg I layer 2 compression. You could also see such audio labelled with an mp2 extension. BeSweet should be able to encode it. If it plays in WMP, I think you could make a CD out of it; after which you could do whatever you want to the audio.

ew

TexARC
07-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I guess what I wanted to ask, and did a poor job of it, is how can I take this m2a file and convert it to mp3?

Also, is there a way in TyTools to extract JUST the m2a file without also extracting the video portion, from the file on the TiVo? If there is it would greatly accelerate the process, I would think. I've read through what docs I can find, but nothing appears obvious to me.
??

TexARC
07-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Bewseet reports that it doesn't support m2a files?

eastwind
07-17-2005, 04:02 PM
You can use vsplit to just extract the audio by directing the video to a null file.
If BeSweet doesn't support the .m2a extension change the extension to .mp2. I know BeSweet support the mpeg I audio layer 2 type audio.

ew

stealthdave
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I guess what I wanted to ask, and did a poor job of it, is how can I take this m2a file and convert it to mp3?

Also, is there a way in TyTools to extract JUST the m2a file without also extracting the video portion, from the file on the TiVo? If there is it would greatly accelerate the process, I would think. I've read through what docs I can find, but nothing appears obvious to me.
??
Try Audacity (http://audacity.sf.net). It's probably overkill for what you need, but it is an audio editor that works on multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, and Linux). I use it to edit m2a/mp2 files all this time, and you can export wav, ogg, or mp3 files (search the Audacity FAQ for where to get libLAME, needed to export mp3).

On a side note, when I read your post I had an idea for how you can possibly speed up your file transfer from the TiVo. :) I'm not sure what your current speeds are, but I'm assuming that it takes a while to download all that video that they send with the music. If you wanted to download just the audio, you could go "old school" and use ExtractStream (http://www.9thtee.com/extractstream.html), and send the video part to /dev/null. That's if you don't need the program information that they send in the video.

Just a thought. :)

TexARC
07-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Having discovered that, as Eastwind suggested, I can rename the .m2a file into .mp2 files, which then BeSweet's command line will batch convert several and merge them into a single mp3 file, I am getting along pretty well.

As you suggest, there is in all likelihood a faster way than shifting a 4-hour, 2 gig datamass using TyTools, then dumping the video file, then renaming the file, BeSweeting it<G>, but I seem to be getting it done and I really don't want to go to another TiVo-based install routine if I can avoid it.

I really appreciate the help - these things are not intuitive and the learning curve is a mite steep.

TexARC
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
another thought in these projects.
Is there anything that would be able to parse an mp2 or mp3 file of say, 2 hours' duration, based on silence between tracks, and break them into individual tunes?

bigmikemn
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Try running the Audio file through Roxio EasyMedia Creator. They have an option for recording Tapes and Records, and I would assume you could run the audio file through there, and it would split the tracks based on the silence between the songs.

TexARC
07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
That is a great idea - but I gave up on Roxio around version 5, when it really sucked<G>, but I have Nero and I'll see if it has the same functionality - thanks for the innovative notion.

nkogni2
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I was searching the forum and ran into this thread which helps with extrating the audio portion of a video show. I have problem getting the audio portion of a highdef show. The show plays with audio with no problem, but when I split the files to m2v and m2a, the m2a file is not readable or playable no matter what I do with it. I have tried reading it with winamp as well as xvideo converter and audacity. Is there a different trick with high-def shows? I seem to be able to extract the audio portion from a regular show with x-video but not the highdef show. It encounters an error and closes the application. When I tried with Audacity, it read it and converted it to mp3 but the resulting file was an annoying noise when it was played back. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

awind
02-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Howdy,
I've been editing/converting the m2a to mp3s with an audio editor called Goldwave. I have an old demo copy but it still seems to work. Heres a website that came up on a google search, I think this is same one: http://www.goldwave.com/

awind

P.S. These are streams off a series one tivo. I cant afford the HD yet. :P